PDA

View Full Version : Replay of Dirty Incognito vs Antonio * Suspended all preseason and season opener *

TheIronDuke
08-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Remember last season when Antonio got fined for kicking at Incognito who was grabbing onto his leg and twisting it? Check out this replay when Incognito was shoving his hands into Antonio's face. Looks like Antonio took Incognito's helmet off and damn near hit him in the face with his own helmet. NFL fine looming I'm sure.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1758779/iBE3eUN6mR3hU.gif

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Incognito is butt hurt lil ***** because he knows he cant handle the Ninja!

Vinnie
08-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Wow, right in front of the official too. He must have done that ninja move so fast only the HD cameras were able to pick it up!

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I like Ninjas finishing stance, and lets just be glad that was a "warning shot" lol.

Playoffs
08-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Cheap shot Incognito hand his left hand up in Antonio's facemask digging in then clearly struck him in the head with his right hand.

If Ninja gets fined, Incognito should as well as he instigated it.

Vance87
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM
I don't care how big or tall Incognito is. He's a little *****.

silvrhand
08-19-2013, 12:45 PM
My hand got stuck in the helmet.. I didn't realize it.. it's preseason!

b0ng
08-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Antonio Smith is probably going to get suspended for that and he should be. Taking off a players helmet then trying to use it for batting practice on another players head is pretty damn malicious even if the two have bad blood with each other.

HJam72
08-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Antonio Smith is probably going to get suspended for that and he should be. Taking off a players helmet then trying to use it for batting practice on another players head is pretty damn malicious even if the two have bad blood with each other.

Grabbing a guy's facemask, yanking it in 2 different directions, and then throwing the other fist at him is just asking for it anyway. I think he did well not to go all AJ vs. Finnegan on 'im. I am glad that it doesn't appear he actually made contact with the little helmet swing.

b0ng
08-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Grabbing a guy's facemask, yanking it in 2 different directions, and then throwing the other fist at him is just asking for it anyway. I think he did well not to go all AJ vs. Finnegan on 'im. I am glad that it doesn't appear he actually made contact with the little helmet swing.

I didn't say that Incognito was some angel who made no mistakes in that previous quote. But what Smith did was completely and totally over the line and I'm absolutely sure if it was a player not named Incognito doing that to the Ninja, he would not have acted in the same manner.

It still does not excuse, even in the slightest bit, what Smith did right there in that .gif.

infantrycak
08-19-2013, 01:34 PM
But what Smith did was completely and totally over the line ...

I am dubious Antonio was trying to hit him at all and certainly not in the head. He is swinging at mid-chest level and well back. He may draw a fine but I seriously doubt he gets suspended. Can anyone think of any player who has ever been suspended for a non-hit?

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
I didn't say that Incognito was some angel who made no mistakes in that previous quote. But what Smith did was completely and totally over the line and I'm absolutely sure if it was a player not named Incognito doing that to the Ninja, he would not have acted in the same manner.

It still does not excuse, even in the slightest bit, what Smith did right there in that .gif.

The only problem I have with Antonio Smith in that incident is that he didn't go all the way. If another player is continually doing nasty **** to you and the refs won't do something about it, take care of the problem in such a way that ends up being worth the fine, a la AJ v. Innegan.

All this "over the line" crap is just that. The line was back over there on the decent side of yanking someone's head around by the facemask. The potential for injury is a helluva lot worse in yanking someone's head around by the facemask than it is by whacking them with their own helmet. Smith tried to hit Incognito. Incognito tried to incapacitate Smith.

Big Lou
08-19-2013, 01:39 PM

It would have been better if Antonio would have not done that and not defending it, but it looks like the official didn't flag Incognito. How you expect someone not to get mad and react like that if no one notices such a cheap shot. Smith deserves a fine, but that's it. He swung the helmet but pulled back. Incognito was trying just as hard to pull Antonio's helmet off, or break his damn neck.

b0ng
08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
I am dubious Antonio was trying to hit him at all and certainly not in the head. He is swinging at mid-chest level and well back. He may draw a fine but I seriously doubt he gets suspended. Can anyone think of any player who has ever been suspended for a non-hit?

The NFL is not going to look at the incident and try to determine if he was actually trying to damage Incognito with his own helmet, or if it was a warning shot. Couple that with Smith's past history of fine-inducing actions on the field, and it's not a pretty picture.

Why try to bring up whether the league has suspended players for this action before? I doubt anybody in the league has taken off another players helmet and tried to knock said player out with it before. Can always set a precedent for that with a suspension.

disaacks3
08-19-2013, 01:40 PM
Cheap shot Incognito hand his left hand up in Antonio's facemask digging in then clearly struck him in the head with his right hand.

If Ninja gets fined, Incognito should as well as he instigated it. The same goes for any talk of a suspension. Look at the angle that Smith's head is pushed back at and then violently rotated.

Take "Cheap Shots"? Expect one back.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
I doubt anybody in the league has taken off another players helmet and tried to knock said player out with it before. Can always set a precedent for that with a suspension.

Not like I track these things, and it was a different league back then, but I remember Dexter Manley doing it.

infantrycak
08-19-2013, 01:42 PM
bOng - I am glad you have a Batman hotline to know exactly what the NFL will consider.

b0ng
08-19-2013, 01:46 PM
If the roles were reversed, you know damn well most of you guys would be pissing and moaning about how Smith should be suspended because of such malicious acts.

And this is not, and has no real relation to AJ vs Finnegan. That was a fist-fight that got both players ejected. This incident is Smith swinging a weapon around at another player (a helmet, which is going to do a lot more damage if it connects, luckily it didn't). Refs miss penalties all the time, and this is football, you don't go tearing somebody's helmet off and start swinging it at them on the field because the other player is getting away with dirty play.

There's no way that what Smith did is defensible, Incognito being a piece of **** or not, and again he should be suspended for that. Just look at the ankle/grabbing incident from last year, who ended up fined for that one?

Again, Antonio Smith went way over the line by using Incognito's helmet as a weapon and should be suspended for it.

b0ng
08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
bOng - I am glad you have a Batman hotline to know exactly what the NFL will consider.

Can't come up with anything better than that?

infantrycak
08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Can't come up with anything better than that?

I can say I think you are totally overreacting but it won't do any good. So I will stick with chiding people for acting like they know more than they do and you have no idea how the NFL analyzes these situations.

PS - this ref wasn't just in the area and missed the penalty. He was staring right at the incident and had a much better vantage point than we do.

You're getting worked up on this one. Did someone hit you with a helmet as a kid?

Vance87
08-19-2013, 02:11 PM
I've been watching that gif for a couple minutes now.

One burning question...

HOW DID CUSHING NOT GET THAT SACK.

Rey
08-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Doesn't even look like he actually tried to hit him with the helmet. Looks like he wanted to, but stopped short...

I think if Antonio wanted to crack him with that helmet he would have.

HOU-TEX
08-19-2013, 02:55 PM
A grown man that continues to go by the name 'Richie' has to make up for the pansy-ass name somehow.

Personally, I can't stand this dude. Even before the Smith ankle twisting

Wolf6151
08-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Incognito has had this reputation for years, I can't understand why the refs. don't watch him like a hawk.

EllisUnit
08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
If the roles were reversed, you know damn well most of you guys would be pissing and moaning about how Smith should be suspended because of such malicious acts.

And this is not, and has no real relation to AJ vs Finnegan. That was a fist-fight that got both players ejected. This incident is Smith swinging a weapon around at another player (a helmet, which is going to do a lot more damage if it connects, luckily it didn't). Refs miss penalties all the time, and this is football, you don't go tearing somebody's helmet off and start swinging it at them on the field because the other player is getting away with dirty play.

There's no way that what Smith did is defensible, Incognito being a piece of **** or not, and again he should be suspended for that. Just look at the ankle/grabbing incident from last year, who ended up fined for that one?

Again, Antonio Smith went way over the line by using Incognito's helmet as a weapon and should be suspended for it.

I would feel the same way if it was our o-line doing it to there D. Right is right and wrong is wrong regardless of what side your on.

EllisUnit
08-19-2013, 04:25 PM
I've been watching that gif for a couple minutes now.

One burning question...

HOW DID CUSHING NOT GET THAT SACK.

Lack of HGH perhaps :kitten:

LEATHERHEAD
08-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Man after what happen last year..you would think they would be watching a little closer..maybe the Ref kinda looked the other way????

WolverineFan
08-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Was just watching Fox Sports 1 and they said to expect a suspension for Smith. I wouldn't be surprised.

paycheck71
08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Another video of the incident from a different angle. He's going to get suspended...

LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/watch/fox-football-daily/video?vid=%20e56cc828-d4e3-492e-80bb-9c71172e13b3)

BullBlitz
08-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Exactly.

All kinds of things happen in line play. Incognito got Antonio to lose his cool. That's Antonio's fault, and anyone who swings a helmet shoud be fined, I don't care what color jersey he's wearing.

dtran04
08-19-2013, 05:37 PM
What's hilarious or sad is that the official missed all of it. They'll call hands to the face randomly on some weak stuff and then completely miss this. How can you miss a guy taking off a helmet and swinging it another person?

Texn4life
08-19-2013, 06:03 PM
PFT says they have video of Smith hitting this punk with his helmet. They must be seeing something I can't see on replay. You can see Incognito attempting to move out of the way to avoid it, but the helmet doesn't come close to hitting him. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended though unfortunately.

Edit: Watching the angle they have it still doesn't look like he hit him. Not saying he didn't try to, but he didn't. If he would've hit him in the face with a helmet, he would've had a much different reaction.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 06:06 PM
All kinds of things happen in line play. Incognito got Antonio to lose his cool. That's Antonio's fault, and anyone who swings a helmet shoud be fined, I don't care what color jersey he's wearing.

Well then, anyone who swings a helmet while someone else's head is still in it should be flagged, fined, and suspended then. And that's what Incognito did.

It amazes me how some of you are ignoring the more egregious offense here.

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Ticker on espn just now says Schefter reporting probable 2 game suspension... The last 2 preseason games that is.

ensign_lee
08-19-2013, 06:11 PM
lol. Suspended for two preseason games. Looks like the NFL wanted to send the message that swinging helmets at folks is not okay, but it's *kind of* okay against Incognito.

Incognito, so dirty that the league only protects you because it kind of has to. :D

I'm glad Incognito got what he deserved, and I am firmly on the Antonio's side here. I'm glad he did what he did.

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 06:21 PM
lol. Suspended for two preseason games. Looks like the NFL wanted to send the message that swinging helmets at folks is not okay, but it's *kind of* okay against Incognito.

Incognito, so dirty that the league only protects you because it kind of has to. :D

I'm glad Incognito got what he deserved, and I am firmly on the Antonio's side here. I'm glad he did what he did.

Exactly, luckily Smith did not hit the punk, so its not as big of a story and they can avoid making Incognito feel like he was rewarded for being a *****.

Suspension for 2 preseason games would im sure be welcomed for a vet like Smith. Smith wins!!! :)

RazorOye
08-19-2013, 06:23 PM
PFT says they have video of Smith hitting this punk with his helmet. They must be seeing something I can't see on replay. You can see Incognito attempting to move out of the way to avoid it, but the helmet doesn't come close to hitting him. I still wouldn't be surprised to see him suspended though unfortunately.

Edit: Watching the angle they have it still doesn't look like he hit him. Not saying he didn't try to, but he didn't.

Goodell has set precedent when it comes to doling out punishment on his perceptions of intent than actual harm.

escrimador
08-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Hands in the face mask followed by a low right hook to the jaw/neck area...yeah i'd rip off his helmet and be tempted to knock his head off too

BullBlitz
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Well then, anyone who swings a helmet while someone else's head is still in it should be flagged, fined, and suspended then. And that's what Incognito did.

It amazes me how some of you are ignoring the more egregious offense here.

Sorry, swinging a helmet at a guy who isn't wearing one presents a much bigger risk, and isn't within the realm of the game. I will be watching for the fine.

paycheck71
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Exactly, luckily Smith did not hit the punk, so its not as big of a story and they can avoid making Incognito feel like he was rewarded for being a *****.

Suspension for 2 preseason games would im sure be welcomed for a vet like Smith. Smith wins!!! :)

The preseason suspension makes no sense... Players don't get paid for preseason games, so there would have to be an additional fine along with the suspension since no game checks would be lost. I predict he'll be suspended for 2 regular season games.

EllisUnit
08-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Sorry, swinging a helmet at a guy who isn't wearing one presents a much bigger risk, and isn't within the realm of the game. I will be watching for the fine.

while a blow to the head may cause a bloody head, maybe a concusion. The swinging of Smiths head by retard is a good way to cause a neck/spine injury. Pretty sure thats worse than some stitches. Not to mention smith did not hit retard, yet reard was throwing smiths neck back and forth side to side.

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 06:35 PM
The preseason suspension makes no sense... Players don't get paid for preseason games, so there would have to be an additional fine along with the suspension since no game checks would be lost. I predict he'll be suspended for 2 regular season games.

The NFL is expected to suspend Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith for up to two preseason games for using his helmet as a weapon against Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The suspension is expected to be announced Tuesday, according to the source.

The incident occurred during the second quarter of Saturday's preseason game when Incognito was attempting to block Smith.

Fox Sports 1 captured a video of the play, during which Incognito appeared to grab Smith's facemask. Smith retaliated by ripping Incognito's helmet off and swinging it at the veteran lineman.

It was not the first time that Smith and Incognito have been involved in a physical altercation during a game. Smith was fined $21,000 last season for kicking Incognito, a penalty that was reduced to $11,000 after Smith appealed, saying he was retaliating to Incognito's stepping on his right ankle.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9583065/antonio-smith-houston-texans-expected-suspended-2-preseason-games-source-says

Heath Shuler
08-19-2013, 06:40 PM
By David Barron and Brian T. Smith

The crew at Fox Sports 1’s new “Fox Football Daily” show had some harsh words during their debut show Monday afternoon for Texans defensive lineman Antonio Smith’s helmet swing at Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito. Some, in fact, said it was worse than highly publicized stomping incidents involving Ndamukong Suh and Albert Haynesworth.

Mike Pereira, former vice president of NFL officiating, believes Smith could be suspended two regular-season games for pulling off Incognito’s helmet and proceeding to swing it at the player.

Pereira, FOX Sports’ rules analyst, said Smith’s previous on-the-field incidents will likely factor into the NFL’s decision and the league is reportedly reviewing his actions Saturday.

“I expect a severe penalty,” said host Jay Glazer. “You look back at guys who were suspended in the past, this is worse than the Suh, maybe even the Hayensworth (incidents), because he rares way back and the intent, if he had hit (Incognito) in the right spot, he could have killed the guy.”

Recently retired NFL cornerback Ronde Barber also chimed in.

“That’s beyond player safety,” he said. “That’s beyond player safety. He could have killed him if he hit him in the head, in the temple. … The intent of the action, if you’re in the heat of the moment, the Suh one, the Hayensworth, you’re mad, but with a helmet in our hand?”

Smith declined to discuss the incident Saturday after the Texans’ preseason victory against the Dolphins at Reliant Stadium. The NFL has yet to announce a penalty and Smith initially was expected to just be fined for the move. But he has past history with Incognito and was fined $21,000 — reduced to $11,000 after an appeal – for kicking Incognito last season while both were on the ground after a play.

The Texans are already dealing with injuries to star players Arian Foster and Ed Reed, both of whom are on the PUP list and may not be available for a Sept. 9 regular season-opener at San Diego.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/08/nfl-rules-expert-pereira-says-texans-smith-could-be-suspended-two-games/

disaacks3
08-19-2013, 06:43 PM
If the roles were reversed, you know damn well most of you guys would be pissing and moaning about how Smith should be suspended because of such malicious acts. Nope. I'd be singing the same tune. You might want to go back and watch it again to see who started the flagrant offenses here, I think you must've missed it.

It amazes me how some of you are ignoring the more egregious offense here. Hey, a broken neck is still a "normal" football injury!

Sorry, swinging a helmet at a guy who isn't wearing one presents a much bigger risk, and isn't within the realm of the game. I will be watching for the fine. WTF does "within the realm of the game" encompass?

Gotta love the Fox interpretation: Fox Sports 1 captured a video of the play, during which Incognito appeared to grab Smith's facemask. Smith retaliated by ripping Incognito's helmet off and swinging it at the veteran lineman. Well hell, I guess Antonio's head only "appeared" to be nearly wrenched off.

paycheck71
08-19-2013, 06:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9583065/antonio-smith-houston-texans-expected-suspended-2-preseason-games-source-says

In that case it is kind of comical... Maybe they'll buy him a ticket to Cabo, too to spend his 2 week vacation in style.

Tailgate
08-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Nope. I'd be singing the same tune. You might want to go back and watch it again to see who started the flagrant offenses here, I think you must've missed it.

Hey, a broken neck is still a "normal" football injury!

WTF does "within the realm of the game" encompass?

Gotta love the Fox interpretation: Well hell, I guess Antonio's head only "appeared" to be nearly wrenched off.

Notice they introduced a video with much less visible quality and from an angle that makes Smith look worse and doesn't show Incognitos actions in full capacity as we see so clearly in the original video. Glazer and Fox trying to blow this story up.

BullBlitz
08-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Nope. I'd be singing the same tune.

No doubt you would. Let's see how the league interprets the situation. Hopefully we will find out tomorrow.

thunderkyss
08-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I don't have a problem with the Antonio suspension. I wouldn't have had a problem if it were two regular season games.

I also don't have a problem with what Antonio did.

I do have a problem if Incognito is not suspended at least equal to but should be greater to Antonios.

I do have a problem if that referee isn't reprimanded as well. If they want to protect the players, they've got to call this flagrant crap when they see it.... or even after the fact if it's not called.

ObsiWan
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Notice they introduced a video with much less visible quality and from an angle that makes Smith look worse and doesn't show Incognitos actions in full capacity as we see so clearly in the original video. Glazer and Fox trying to blow this story up.
^^^^
THIS!
That some of you are falling for this surprises me.

Now, having said that, the proverbial horse is out of the barn now and Ninja DID violate the rule by swinging at RI, so I expect at least a fine.
:vincepalm:

infantrycak
08-19-2013, 07:26 PM
The crew at Fox Sports 1’s new “Fox Football Daily” show had some harsh words during their debut show Monday ...

Needed a little controversy to kick off the new channel.

Scooter
08-19-2013, 07:32 PM
FK incognito. the only thing antonio did wrong was miss ending the azzhole's career. antonio should get a ribbon for his restraint. if the league is going to condone that kind of crap, antonio should be allowed to defend himself by any means available to him.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

One involves neck injury and potential paralysis and one involves a bloody nose or a gash in the head, a la Cushing. What Incognito did is MUCH more dangerous - and it's not even close. Don't know WTF you're thinking.

Big Lou
08-19-2013, 07:53 PM

He visibly let up on the swing and pulled back. Is having your neck broken within the realm of the game.

NastyNate
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
One involves neck injury and potential paralysis and one involves a bloody nose or a gash in the head, a la Cushing. What Incognito did is MUCH more dangerous - and it's not even close. Don't know WTF you're thinking.

Being hit in the head with a blunt object is MUCH more dangerous with a high risk of brain damage or even death than a measly illegal use of hands. A hand under your chin? Seriously? You think a hand under your chin is going to cause you paralysis? Even grabbing the facemask is uncomfortable at worst. I can see if a RB is at full gallop and grabbed by a stationary defender where it might lead to neck soreness or possible injury. Getting smashed in the head with a helmet is assault.

Yall need to take off your homer glasses, as dirty as Incognito is, that was unwarranted and extremely dangerous on the part of Antonio.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Being hit in the head with a blunt object is MUCH more dangerous with a high risk of brain damage or even death than a measly illegal use of hands. A hand under your chin? Seriously? You think a hand under your chin is going to cause you paralysis? Even grabbing the facemask is uncomfortable at worst. I can see if a RB is at full gallop and grabbed by a stationary defender where it might lead to neck soreness or possible injury. Getting smashed in the head with a helmet is assault.

Did you even watch the video? Are you blind? Serious question, because if you're blind, I want you to disregard my complete contempt for your lack of ability to even see what is happening in front of your eyes. Incognito didn't just put a hand under Smith's chin in a measly illegal usage fashion. It's asinine that you'd even equate it to that. He didn't just grab the facemask in an uncomfortable manner. He grabbed hold of Smith's facemask and proceeded to wrench the hell out of his neck. Then, when any normal person would realize he had hold of a facemask, Incognito wrenched his head some more. I swear. Uncomfortable? Have you ever had your head wrenched around? Some of you people are f....

Never mind.

BullBlitz
08-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Nope. Hitting someone in the head with something as hard as an accelerating helmet could be deadly if it landed in the right spot. Although Antonio wasn't aiming at his head necessarily, they can't allow slinging helmets.

It's tough to envision any way that the league can let this slide by. But, we'll know soon enough.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Nope. Hitting someone in the head with something as hard as an accelerating helmet could be deadly if it landed in the right spot.

And wrenching someone's head around like Incognito did can be deadly without even aiming. Hell, just the other day a kid was killed with a broken neck on the football field. Messing with the neck is serious.

Although Antonio wasn't aiming at his head necessarily, they can't allow slinging helmets.

Well sure. I got no beef with that. They should just disallow slinging helmets while the opposing player's head is in it AS WELL.

It's tough to envision any way that the league can let this slide by. But, we'll know soon enough.

Never advocated letting it slide. I just want Incognito punished equally or more harshly, or I wanted Smith to make the suspension worthwhile.

Texan_Bill
08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Meh, if Incognito gets punched or hit in the face, it's on him! He has a terrible reputation around the league. I'm sure they're are many D-Lineman that applaud Antonio (this year and last) for acting out, similar to WR's applauding AJ for whipping Innegan.

Carr Bombed
08-19-2013, 09:06 PM
I wish he would of connected with the helmet and knocked that fat piece of **** right on his fat ass.

In the wise words of Travis Johnson.. "God don't like ugly" :)

b0ng
08-19-2013, 09:52 PM
@RapSheet: Source: @NFL is looking at Antonio Smith's video as "being beyond a football action." Suspension of 1 or more games is the expectation.

NastyNate
08-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Did you even watch the video? Are you blind? Serious question, because if you're blind, I want you to disregard my complete contempt for your lack of ability to even see what is happening in front of your eyes. Incognito didn't just put a hand under Smith's chin in a measly illegal usage fashion. It's asinine that you'd even equate it to that. He didn't just grab the facemask in an uncomfortable manner. He grabbed hold of Smith's facemask and proceeded to wrench the hell out of his neck. Then, when any normal person would realize he had hold of a facemask, Incognito wrenched his head some more. I swear. Uncomfortable? Have you ever had your head wrenched around? Some of you people are f....

Never mind.

I played football, and I fought/wrestled/grappled for the better part of 9 years, so yes, I've had my head wrenched on tons of times. I'd rather have my facemask torqued over getting smashed in the head with a helmet any day of the week. I guess you'd rather have your head smashed in. By your logic, trying to run you over with my car but missing is admissible, since I didn't actually hit you with it.

Rudyball
08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
After watching the play and replay angles it is not clear the helmet even made contact with Ignacio. It was close but you can see daylight in between his head and helmet. Ignacio's head is pulled down from the helmet coming off and snaps back out of the swing fast enough to keep away from the contact. His head would have snapped back as a helmet blow connected if contact was made and that never happens.

So, yes, it was non football action but no harm no foul I say.

NastyNate
08-19-2013, 11:24 PM
After watching the play and replay angles it is not clear the helmet even made contact with Ignacio. It was close but you can see daylight in between his head and helmet. Ignacio's head is pulled down from the helmet coming off and snaps back out of the swing fast enough to keep away from the contact. His head would have snapped back as a helmet blow connected if contact was made and that never happens.

So, yes, it was non football action but no harm no foul I say.

Doesn't matter if he connected or not,the intent was there and there is no place in football for it.

Big Lou
08-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Look it was dumb, you can't argue that, Antonio had nothing of value to gain from what he did. However if his intent was to hit him with helmet through the entire event, he would have hit him. That was a warning shot. For those that think he was trying to hit him then Smith should face more than a suspension he should face criminal charges.

Smith deserves a large fine, but that is it, probably like 50k. If the NFL had partial game penalties I could possibly get behind that as well, I could see a one quarter suspension if that existed.

Ben Frank
08-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Look like he got him pretty good from this angle, front page of msn

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=e56cc828-d4e3-492e-80bb-9c71172e13b3&from=en-us_msnhp

He's getting flamed for it

Scooter
08-20-2013, 01:58 AM
this is really getting to me. guys like finnegan i've got no real problem with on the field, he's in your face trying to piss you off and screw up your game however possible. i hate the guy, but he's a football player.

guys like suh and incognito should've been kicked out of the league already. their intent is to injure. this is twice now that antonio is getting caught for RETALIATING against incognito. at what point does the guy starting it by trying to injure players get the focus? it's on video. the first time trying to break antonio's ankle, this time wrenching him around by his facemask before taking a swing at smith. is the message here that you're supposed to just take it when a player is trying to end your season?

NastyNate
08-20-2013, 02:17 AM
However if his intent was to hit him with helmet through the entire event, he would have hit him.

You guys are ridiculous. You didn't see Incognito move his head out of the way? Retaliation or not doesn't make two damn bits of difference, the intent to smash his head with the helmet was there, and if Incognito were a second slower I imagine you guys would be singing a much different tune.

NastyNate
08-20-2013, 02:19 AM
is the message here that you're supposed to just take it when a player is trying to end your season?

No, you simply let the ref know what to key in on and continue to play the game without losing your cool. JJ Watt uses hands to the face quite a lot but doesn't get called for it, is he a malicious dirty player? Two differing circumstances to differing degrees, but something has to get through to you homers Texans fans or not. If someone swung their helmet at Schaub like that you'd call for a lifetime ban.

Scooter
08-20-2013, 02:46 AM
No, you simply let the ref know what to key in on and continue to play the game without losing your cool. JJ Watt uses hands to the face quite a lot but doesn't get called for it, is he a malicious dirty player? Two differing circumstances to differing degrees, but something has to get through to you homers Texans fans or not. If someone swung their helmet at Schaub like that you'd call for a lifetime ban.

as pointed out in the jay glazer video, a referee is in position to see the whole thing. the league is well aware of incognito's actions but doesnt respond. the officiating crew should have been (or were) aware of the past between these two players and i highly doubt this was the first issue saturday.

are you saying that incognito is NOT a malicious dirty player? can you name a texan with a remotely similar reputation?

if a player is trying to injure you, the league and the ref's havent responded, at what point do you take matters into your own hands?

HJam72
08-20-2013, 03:27 AM
Blow to the head, blow to the head, whatever. Cushing woulda just took it head on and bled like a man. :kubepalm: :wadepalm:

Scooter
08-20-2013, 03:32 AM
i enjoy most of your posts nate but your examples here are horrible ... watt, schaub and a car. there are better examples in the game. finnegan wanted a fight and got one. there's a reason andre wasnt suspended - dude had it coming. shoving, hands to the face, talking mess ... that ended how it should've. helmets off and start swinging. no intent to injure, just a heated situation.

a better example is brett favre. the saints were trying to take him out - end his season (which they succeeded) or his career (arguably succeeded). the league said "dont do that", and two years later were finally forced to take action when the assaults added up. me? i think favre should've had every right to knee-cap a defender or two, or take a helmet and try to knock someone's block off. if the ref's and the league are going to say "play on" when a guy is actively trying to hurt players, they need to be able to defend themselves.

HJam72
08-20-2013, 03:38 AM
I really think the answer to this is gun holsters in the uniforms, CCInGameL's and all that. You take out my knees, I'll take out your knees. :cowboy1:

Or, better yet, they could just tase each other, LOL. Waterguns & tazers. :)

ObsiWan
08-20-2013, 04:59 AM
I say the league will issue a fine and maybe a suspension. If it's two games so be it.

I say suspend Ninja for the next two
...PRESEASON games.
it happened in preseason, let it stay in preseason.
:)

htowntexans1985
08-20-2013, 07:07 AM
According to ESPN: The NFL is expected to suspend Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith for up to two preseason games for using a helmet as a weapon against Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

HJam72
08-20-2013, 07:10 AM
I say the league will issue a fine and maybe a suspension. If it's two games so be it.

I say suspend Ninja for the next two
...PRESEASON games.
it happened in preseason, let it stay in preseason.
:)

I'm for that. :fingergun:

Oh, I'm s'posed ta be upset: :overreact:

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 07:17 AM
According to ESPN: The NFL is expected to suspend Houston Texans defensive end Antonio Smith for up to two preseason games for using a helmet as a weapon against Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

That was information released yesterday. The League is expected to announce the official suspension today. Regular season game suspension has not been ruled out.

BullNation4Life
08-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Love how Fox Sports guys, I guess that was Ronde or Tiki saying he could have killed they guy...WTF ever... Smith didn't even take a full swing. It looked like Smith realized at the last second what he was doing and pulled up...

Was it right, no, Ninja needs to find his inner Chi and become one with his inner peace when playing against Incognito and the Dolphins and not put himself in that position....

but I understand....

gwallaia
08-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Had this infraction been committed against a respectable player, the suspension may have been more harsh.

eriadoc
08-20-2013, 07:57 AM
... something has to get through to you homers Texans fans or not. If someone swung their helmet at Schaub like that you'd call for a lifetime ban.

You keep spewing this Bull$*it, and that is exactly what it is. The day Schaub goes out there and tries to injure someone and gets a helmet swung at him IN RETALIATION, then no one will defend Schaub (well, no more than the current number of jackasses defending Incognito anyway).

You do understand the concept of retaliation, don't you? Don't start none, won't be none. Incognito has been starting crap for years and the refs are basically complicit at this point, because they don't do jack about it. At some point, a player has to protect himself if the NFL won't do it.

Scooter
08-20-2013, 07:59 AM
At some point, a player has to protect himself if the NFL won't do it.

the whole situation in a nutshell.

Rey
08-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Look like he got him pretty good from this angle, front page of msn

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?videoid=e56cc828-d4e3-492e-80bb-9c71172e13b3&from=en-us_msnhp

He's getting flamed for it

Oh yeah...He nailed him...

I didn't think he actually hit him at first from the other angle...But it looks like he nailed him for sure there.

Antonio deserves to be suspended. Incognito was playing aggressive and a little dirty, but Antonio can't up the ante like that. He should know better and he needs to keep his cool. Get him back with good football play and maybe some hands to the face or shooting your hands in his gut...Some extra shoves after the whistle or something.

But you can't hit a guy with a helmet in the head. That's criminal. I could see some action being taken off the field and in a court room for similar acts.

Not a good move Antonio.

Hervoyel
08-20-2013, 08:36 AM
The real problem here is that Antonio Smith, as much as I love him as a player simply doesn't come equipped to keep his cool in situations like that and pick his moments. Maybe that's what makes him the player he is but it hurts the team when he does something like this. Fortunately the Texans have got some depth so when the suspension comes down they'll be able to deal with it but it's still unfortunate. Incognito is a pest and a turd but he's not worth losing four games over. Sure, a player has to "protect himself" if the league isn't going to do it but there are ways to protect yourself that don't involve trying to smack the **** out of somebody with their helmet. That's just losing your temper and hurting your team.

disaacks3
08-20-2013, 08:38 AM
You keep spewing this Bull$*it, and that is exactly what it is. The day Schaub goes out there and tries to injure someone and gets a helmet swung at him IN RETALIATION, then no one will defend Schaub (well, no more than the current number of jackasses defending Incognito anyway).

You do understand the concept of retaliation, don't you? Don't start none, won't be none. Incognito has been starting crap for years and the refs are basically complicit at this point, because they don't do jack about it. At some point, a player has to protect himself if the NFL won't do it. For some reason, folks on here think that Incognito was engaged in a run of the mill "hands to the face". I suggest they rewatch the play.

Yes, Smith overreacted. Yes, he used a non-football move in response to an extended illegal move by the other player. Yes, he should get his hand slapped hard, but...

This is the SECOND time that Incognito has 'initiated' with Smith and he wasn't fined the first time. I'm pulling for every D-Lineman across from Incognito this year. He deserves every cheap shot he gets.

I'm quickly losing all respect for every "news" outlet that shows only the end of the incident and happily overlooks what brought it on. Bleacher Report and Fox, I'm looking at you!

Rey
08-20-2013, 08:41 AM
The real problem here is that Antonio Smith, as much as I love him as a player simply doesn't come equipped to keep his cool in situations like that and pick his moments. Maybe that's what makes him the player he is but it hurts the team when he does something like this. Fortunately the Texans have got some depth so when the suspension comes down they'll be able to deal with it but it's still unfortunate. Incognito is a pest and a turd but he's not worth losing four games over. Sure, a player has to "protect himself" if the league isn't going to do it but there are ways to protect yourself that don't involve trying to smack the **** out of somebody with their helmet. That's just losing your temper and hurting your team.

Exactly.

Watching it again, there really is no need for Antonio to swing the helmet at him. Yeah Incognito got some hands to the head, but really Antonio was just frustrated because Incognito handled him on that play, roughed him up and had some hands to his face.

EllisUnit
08-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Exactly.

Watching it again, there really is no need for Antonio to swing the helmet at him. Yeah Incognito got some hands to the head, but really Antonio was just frustrated because Incognito handled him on that play, roughed him up and had some hands to his face.

Handled him by his face mask. A 120 pound guy can handle a 300 pound if he has him by the face mask.

Personally i think retard got what he had coming, and sorry but smith wasnt just retaliating for that but also for last season where u could see retard doing something to smiths ankle.

That dude needs a few good blows to the head.

infantrycak
08-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Oh yeah...He nailed him...

I didn't think he actually hit him at first from the other angle...But it looks like he nailed him for sure there.

I don't agree. What you are seeing is Icognito's reaction. You can see that from the original angle as well and it also shows the swing misses.

Rey
08-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Handled him by his face mask. A 120 pound guy can handle a 300 pound if he has him by the face mask.

1) that's not true

2) he didn't just grab smiths face mask and not let go. To me it looks more like some forceful hands to the face (which is infuriating).

Personally i think retard got what he had coming, and sorry but smith wasnt just retaliating for that but also for last season where u could see retard doing something to smiths ankle.
That dude needs a few good blows to the head.

Not like that. I can't support hitting a guy in the head with a helmet for what ingognito did there. That was over the top.

Rey
08-20-2013, 09:03 AM
I don't agree. What you are seeing is Icognito's reaction. You can see that from the original angle as well and it also shows the swing misses.

Looking at it again, maybe you are right.

TexansSeminole
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Smith just can't lose it in situations like this. Let the referee know what is going on and be like Fonzi. Be cool. He should be suspended for swinging the helmet at someone's unprotected head, regardless of if he is taking some hands to the face or not.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Imo...Incognito is the type of player that if he can hurt you, he will. If he can end your season, he will.

Oldie but goodie:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/antonio-smith-does-not-appreciate-richie-incognito-dirty-231956818--nfl.html

So things haven't really gotten any worse in Richie Incognito's world; it's just that Antonio Smith was specific enough in calling him out to make the world wonder anew whether Incognito is indeed the dullest tool in the NFL's shed.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 09:14 AM
He should have just pretended to hand his helmet back to him, then just as he reached for it yelled SIKE!... And tossed it down the field then laughed at him and high fived some teammates. Thst would have been totally awesome.

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Just been announced that the suspension will be at least ONE REGULAR SEASON GAME.

This piece says, there is consideration for 1 to 2.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9584091/stiffer-ban-mulled-antonio-smith-houston-texans

gwallaia
08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Well the regular season game(s) suspension seems warranted. Smith has to maintain his composure especially with players like Incognito who makes up for an obvious lack of talent by annoying and baiting other players into fouls.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Antonio is a really good player, but if the Texans can't beat the Chargers and possibly the Titans without him then I would say we're not really Super Bowl contenders.

Rey
08-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Antonio is a really good player, but if the Texans can't beat the Chargers and possibly the Titans without him then I would say we're not really Super Bowl contenders.

Antonio has been our second best pass rusher. So you are probably right that if we can't get other players to consistently contribute there we aren't going very far.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Richie eating this up...

@68INCOGNITO
Be sure to tune into Fox Football Daily @FFD on Fox Sports 1 at 6pm Eastern tonight. I personally guarantee it will be entertaining.

Blake
08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Maybe I am biased, but after watching the entire play from a few angles I firmly believe that Incognito knew what he was doing, and got the response he was looking for from Antonio which might end up really costing Smith. I also think that Incognito was emphasising or helping the ref see Smith ripping the helmet off. You can see Incognito's arms go to his side and down rather than up to keep Antonio off him, and then he sort of bends over to help the helmet come off.

The hit almost looks WWE style. Smith may have gotten Incognito with the helmet on the chest, but Incognito really sells it by whipping his head backwards. Either that or he just really didnt want his face smashed in.

Bottom line, Incognito is still a d-bag whom everyone hates, and Smith went too far and now is getting a bad reputation. He should know the NFL isnt going to like helmets being ripped off and should expect a fine and suspension. However, I do think the NFL needs to take a look at Incognito's game film, send him a nice letter about his "style" of play and realize that he is the catalyst for a higher than usual number of these types of retaliations.

HOU-TEX
08-20-2013, 09:43 AM
The NFL should suspend the official standing there digging his buhole. I mean, how can you miss something with so much commotion such as swinging helmets and hands under facemasks. Dumbass

The thing that bothers me is Smith allowed this assbag to get into his head. I couldn't care less about that fat bastard, but Antonio needs to keep his cool.

HJam72
08-20-2013, 09:43 AM
He should have just pretended to hand his helmet back to him, then just as he reached for it yelled SIKE!... And tossed it down the field then laughed at him and high fived some teammates. Thst would have been totally awesome.

Psych!-o'-Ninja :lol:

Double Barrel
08-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Ninjas should have better control of their emotions and all retaliation should be ninja-like, not out in the open in front of officials and camera.

Antonio is going to lose his ninja card if he cannot act like one.

Incognito is a known POS. Smith personally knows this to be true. He cannot let someone else dictate his game. Regular game suspensions hurt the team, and that is simply unacceptable when the Texans are trying to make this season THE season. The first game counts just as much as the last in the win/loss columns.

Blake
08-20-2013, 09:46 AM

I get what you are saying, but 2 games dont make a season. However, I firmly believe that the Texans will win both of those games even if Smith gets suspended.

HJam72
08-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Fines. I don't know (or really care) how big they'd have to be, but this business of keeping a player out of a game(s) for retaliation on a blatant, multiply applied foul is unfair to his teammates, coaches, & fans. Smith is not a guy who just does dirty stuff; he just isn't quite shrewd enough to not retaliate after a play in which somebody is trying to hurt him.

HJam72
08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Anyway, maybe he would've been injured in one of those games he now won't even play in...

Life's a beatch.

DX-TEX
08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Richie eating this up...

@68INCOGNITO
Be sure to tune into Fox Football Daily @FFD on Fox Sports 1 at 6pm Eastern tonight. I personally guarantee it will be entertaining.

I usually keep my composure on twitter but not in this case,

The NFL should suspend the official standing there digging his buhole. I mean, how can you miss something with so much commotion such as swinging helmets and hands under facemasks. Dumbass

The thing that bothers me is Smith allowed this assbag to get into his head. I couldn't care less about that fat bastard, but Antonio needs to keep his cool.

Hence the problem I believe the NFL has. Their OWN DAMN OFFICIAL saw nothing to warrant a flag.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I get what you are saying, but 2 games dont make a season. However, I firmly believe that the Texans will win both of those games even if Smith gets suspended.

That's my whole point. Every team deals with injuries all the time. Those 2 games should be wins with or without him, but if the Texans miss him that much during that time I'd say we have some major issues.

DX-TEX
08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
That's my whole point. Every team deals with injuries all the time. Those 2 games should be wins with or without him, but if the Texans miss him that much during that time I'd say we have some major issues.

Wont miss him. Crick is the starter next year anyway so its all good.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 10:02 AM

I say the Texans start off 2-0 too. He'll be needed after that though.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Trying to look on the bright side. Crick could use the experience, Smith could use the rest for the home stretch and he avoids injury risk while resting. If we can manage win(s) while he is out we are all the better for it.

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Per @AdamSchefter, the league will suspend Antonio Smith for both preseason games left and 1 regular season game. #Texans

So one real game, gone for San Diego.

dream_team
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM

Even though Crick may start next season, he is no where as good as Ninja. I'll miss him on the field and hope it doesn't cost us.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 12:42 PM

That's definitely fine with me, and I'd say Antonio got off lucky there if that's the case. No way we should lose to the Chargers without him.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Wait, we can't pick which game?? NFL should do an online vote for Texans fans to determine that. That would be fun and great pub for the league! :)

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 12:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9584091/antonio-smith-houston-texans-suspended

Smith declined to talk about the scuffle, telling reporters after the game that he "took a blow to the head. I can't remember."
:ahhaha:

Fili
08-20-2013, 12:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9584091/antonio-smith-houston-texans-suspended

:ahhaha:

lol I would've said the same thing.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Thinking out the box here. Initial reports by Schefter were 2 preseason games. Enter Jay Glazer and Fox reporting, and Scheft new report is it extends into reg season.

Just a thought anyway.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Thinking out the box here. Initial reports by Schefter were 2 preseason games. Enter Jay Glazer and Fox reporting, and Scheft new report is it extends into reg season.

Just a thought anyway.

Schefter has been kind of all over the place lately with certain reports.

silvrhand
08-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Just a thought anyway.

Fox.. ugh I hate them around the board.

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Schefter has been kind of all over the place lately with certain reports.

Maybe true. Haven't noticed. I always considered his sources a lock in the past.

Porky
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I would have expected a pretty hefty fine. I don't think a suspension is called for myself. And what about Richie? I'm sure he gets off scot free?

djohn2oo8
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Ed Werdner complained on twitter. That's why they added the 1 game.

IDEXAN
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Even though Crick may start next season, he is no where as good as Ninja. I'll miss him on the field and hope it doesn't cost us.
I'd start Earl Mitchell at Antonio's position, he can and has played DE, and then start the guy behind Earl on the DC who's been looking so good in preseason at Nose.
BTW, how stupid is Antonio to do this to himself and his team ? Sounds like something a 21 year-old rookie would do, not a 30 something NFL vet.

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Texans DE Antonio Smith will be appealing his fine and one-game suspension.

LikeMike
08-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I think the fine and suspension are warranted - but I think it`s a disgrace, that Incognito gets out of this again without a fine...

imatexan
08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Man if Smith is going to get suspended for 2 pre-season and the season opener, I wish he would have at least added an extra punch.

Sucks I won't get to see the Ninja play in SD!

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 03:38 PM
He just needs to accept the suspension. I'd hate to see 1 regular season game turn into 3 regular season games.

disaacks3
08-20-2013, 04:13 PM
He just needs to accept the suspension. I'd hate for 1 regular season game turn into 3 regular season games. Let's hope he smartly sits out the preseason games and is appealing only the regular season one.

DX-TEX
08-20-2013, 04:26 PM
He just needs to accept the suspension. I'd hate to see 1 regular season game turn into 3 regular season games.

Never heard of a suspension getting worse when appealed. Now the total games of 3 could get pushed back into regular season which would be bad.

dtran04
08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
At least he showed some restraint in dropping the helmet. Could have done serious damage if he had really tried to hit him.

What he should have done is yanked Incognito's head around and punched him during the next play and take a 15 yd penalty if need be. At least its preseason. Then he could have argued that it happened the previous play.

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Supposedly the basis for his appeal is that the helmet never made contact.:wadepalm:

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Ben Tate ‏@BenTateRB
Unfair treatment of Antonio..the League continues to let one of the known dirtiest players get away without even a slap on the wrist

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Never heard of a suspension getting worse when appealed. Now the total games of 3 could get pushed back into regular season which would be bad.

What made you think I was talking about anything other than total games? I don't believe there's a precedent for a situation like this, but I wouldn't put it past the league to say the suspension is for three games preseason and regular season so appeal at your own risk.

Hopefully the process can be expedited

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 04:41 PM
What made you think I was talking about anything other than total games? I don't believe there's a precedent for a situation like this, but I wouldn't put it past the league to say the suspension is for three games preseason and regular season so appeal at your own risk.

Hopefully the process can be expedited

I would seriously doubt that the "change" from 2 to 3 would be due to an "appeal" rather than initial inaccurate reporting.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
I would seriously doubt that the "change" from 2 to 3 would be due to an "appeal" rather than initial inaccurate reporting.

That's not what I'm referring to. Right now he's suspended for a total of 3 games. If the appeal process goes into the season I would hope the league wouldn't say he needs to serve the full 3 games during the regular season should he lose. You know how Goodell loves to treat preseason games like regular season at least when it comes to ticket prices. Like I said there's no precedent for this that I can think of so who knows what the outcome would be.

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Antonio Smith apologizes to Texans/city of Houston for suspension he's appealing: "Regardless of what outcome it might be or what I think, a suspension hurts my team. In hurting my team it hurts the city."

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
And fox sports 1 crew going after Smith again right now. Only showing helmet swing, nothing before leading up
and all saying the league and Goodell needs to send a message. Tiki Barber, Glazer, Urlacher, all of em..

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 05:16 PM
That's not what I'm referring to. Right now he's suspended for a total of 3 games. If the appeal process goes into the season I would hope the league wouldn't say he needs to serve the full 3 games during the regular season should he lose. You know how Goodell loves to treat preseason games like regular season at least when it comes to ticket prices. Like I said there's no precedent for this that I can think of so who knows what the outcome would be.

I would suspect that he could and would appeal only the in-season suspension while adhering to the preseason suspension(s) until he heard. I am sure the appeals process would have a quick turn around under the circumstances.

Texn4life
08-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I would suspect that he could and would appeal only the in-season suspension while adhering to the preseason suspension(s) until he heard. I am sure the appeals process would have a quick turn around under the circumstances.

I would certainly hope so.

b0ng
08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
What exactly is the NFL going to fine Incognito for exactly? I know Hands to the Face is illegal in the context of the game, but they don't retroactively fine players for missed penalties, that's a terrible precedent to set. The refs share a little blame for missing these very egregious penalties by Incognito, leading to the rest of the confrontation (of course they didn't penalize Smith for going all Ninja on the helmet swing either, so those guys are bozos all round). The NFL should definitely have had a close eye on Incognito for his reputation but as far as fines/suspensions for Incognito for this incident I just don't think the stuff he did warrant that punishment.

Ritchie Incognito is a piece of **** Guard who relies on Courtland Finnegan type tactics to get under players skin in order to get them penalized or ejected. Those guys exist in this league and when you do things like swinging helmets at them you are playing into their hand. Antonio Smith is (what I thought) a much better player than that and could keep his temper in check, and while I doubt he cares about my opinions, but it's disappointing.

infantrycak
08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
What exactly is the NFL going to fine Incognito for exactly? I know Hands to the Face is illegal in the context of the game, but they don't retroactively fine players for missed penalties, that's a terrible precedent to set.

They have done it before. Happened a fes times last year where players were fined for non-flagged plays.

Here are a couple examples:

Kenny Philips (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064654/article/kenny-phillips-fined-30k-by-nfl-one-of-four-giants-docked)

Golden Tate (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/19/nfl-fines-golden-tate-21000-for-block-on-sean-lee/)

Here is an article on it - Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/football/02calls.html?_r=0)

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Glazer reporting (ticker on FS1) no official decision has been made by the NFL on Smith yet.

I already didn't like Glazer, but this dude is all over this story.... and wants the house brought down on Smith.

ESAD2-14
08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkJHivBPjE

Play from last year where Baby Huey was trying to eat Smiths ankle/lower leg. Perhaps there was some carry over of that to this game. No telling what was said or done prior to Smith losing his cool this time around; most people are just looking at the one play.

escrimador
08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Antonio made reference to it. It was when he got punched after getting his neck twisted around.

b0ng
08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
They have done it before. Happened a couple times last year where players were fined for non-flagged plays.

Here are a couple examples:

Kenny Philips (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064654/article/kenny-phillips-fined-30k-by-nfl-one-of-four-giants-docked)

Golden Tate (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/19/nfl-fines-golden-tate-21000-for-block-on-sean-lee/)

Here is an article on it - Link (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/football/02calls.html?_r=0)

All of those fines discussed in those two articles are based on "hits" in illegal areas (defenseless receivers, helmet to helmet, unnecessary roughness). These aren't your typical penalties with lineman vs lineman stuff, that's more in the realm of holding, hands to the face and the like. I don't see the NFL doing much more to Incognito than sending him a formal letter saying the refs will key on his play more throughout the season.

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGkJHivBPjE

Play from last year where Baby Huey was trying to eat Smiths ankle/lower leg. Perhaps there was some carry over of that to this game. No telling what was said or done prior to Smith losing his cool this time around; most people are just looking at the one play.http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wosoGJ5azJo/UFL_DEUoVsI/AAAAAAAAANo/GAHPbucZRL8/s1600/incognito_smith.gif

And Incognito working on JJ Watt's ankle/lower leg...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PvUg69CysdE/UFL_Oe5L-6I/AAAAAAAAANw/1LOtvLKiqkM/s1600/incognito_watt.gif

Ch!ckensh!t player. Always has been, always will be.

DocBar
08-20-2013, 07:03 PM
What exactly is the NFL going to fine Incognito for exactly? I know Hands to the Face is illegal in the context of the game, but they don't retroactively fine players for missed penalties, that's a terrible precedent to set. The refs share a little blame for missing these very egregious penalties by Incognito, leading to the rest of the confrontation (of course they didn't penalize Smith for going all Ninja on the helmet swing either, so those guys are bozos all round). The NFL should definitely have had a close eye on Incognito for his reputation but as far as fines/suspensions for Incognito for this incident I just don't think the stuff he did warrant that punishment.

Ritchie Incognito is a piece of **** Guard who relies on Courtland Finnegan type tactics to get under players skin in order to get them penalized or ejected. Those guys exist in this league and when you do things like swinging helmets at them you are playing into their hand. Antonio Smith is (what I thought) a much better player than that and could keep his temper in check, and while I doubt he cares about my opinions, but it's disappointing.It doesn't appear that Incognito's offense is a simple hands to the face/face masking penalty. He was wrenching Smith's head side to side and appeared to have a firm grip on Smith's face mask. I'm not condoning Smith's actions, but he would've been better served to have kept his cool, walked away, and then contacted the league after the game.

I think it's ridiculous that all of these media outlets are showing the last second of a play while ignoring everything that led up to it. Pathetic reporting and sensationalizing of a story.

thunderkyss
08-20-2013, 07:23 PM
It doesn't appear that Incognito's offense is a simple hands to the face/face masking penalty. He was wrenching Smith's head side to side and appeared to have a firm grip on Smith's face mask. I'm not condoning Smith's actions, but he would've been better served to have kept his cool, walked away, and then contacted the league after the game.

I'd believe it if they had suspended Incognito as well. Or it they made a habit of fining offensive players for similar events the way they do defensive players.... but they didn't & they don't.

One day in the future, some other hot-headed defensive player who played the same dirty offensive player for the last three years is going to connect with that helmet & the NFL won't have anyone to blame for it but themselves.

When a player like Andre Johnson looses it & puts a beat down on someone in the middle of the game, that should wake you up... there is obviously something "unfair" about what's going on.

Same thing with Antonio, granted he's got a history of letting his emotions get the best of him. But this is a preseason game. Means absolutely nothing. How is someone going to get this mad over a meaningless game? & for them to suspend Antonio & give Incognito a pass.... yeah, you're telling the players to "handle it" on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Anyone remember the McGahee incident??

Andra Davis Eye Gouge Willis McGahee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtmppFP-cQ)

The1ApplePie
08-20-2013, 07:32 PM
I'd believe it if they had suspended Incognito as well. Or it they made a habit of fining offensive players for similar events the way they do defensive players.... but they didn't & they don't.

One day in the future, some other hot-headed defensive player who played the same dirty offensive player for the last three years is going to connect with that helmet & the NFL won't have anyone to blame for it but themselves.

When a player like Andre Johnson looses it & puts a beat down on someone in the middle of the game, that should wake you up... there is obviously something "unfair" about what's going on.

Same thing with Antonio, granted he's got a history of letting his emotions get the best of him. But this is a preseason game. Means absolutely nothing. How is someone going to get this mad over a meaningless game? & for them to suspend Antonio & give Incognito a pass.... yeah, you're telling the players to "handle it" on the field.

I remember Igor Olshansky snapping and rabbit punching one of the Broncos in the neck after he targeted his surgically repaired knee on a QB spike (or kneeldown). Igor got ejected. It was an awesome moment for D-linemen everywhere, especially coming against one of the dirtiest teams in NFL history.

Turley's epic meltdown against the Jets was also a thing of beauty.

Antonio is lucky he didn't connect with the helmet, he'd be gone for the year.

Big Lou
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
You guys are ridiculous. You didn't see Incognito move his head out of the way? Retaliation or not doesn't make two damn bits of difference, the intent to smash his head with the helmet was there, and if Incognito were a second slower I imagine you guys would be singing a much different tune.

Icognito flinched and thats about it. Its not like he moved 2' out of the way. You can clearly see Smith start to talke a real swing arms extended, but stops about half way to full extension of his arms and pull the helmet back towards his body during the swing.

You must be a fan of Richie as much as you think he moved his fat ass out of the way like some kind of Hollywood Ninja. That or you hate Antonio.

I'm not defending Smith's actions I'm just saying he stopped himself. If you want to go all Pre-crime and count the tenth of a second against Smith in which he intended to crack him with the helmet then have at it, but I'm fairly certain that almost everyone ever born short of Ghandi has had that moment where they had a split second in which they were going to punch someone and stopped short, but made some kind of dominent display towards the other person in the process.

DocBar
08-20-2013, 07:46 PM

Same thing with Antonio, granted he's got a history of letting his emotions get the best of him. But this is a preseason game. Means absolutely nothing. How is someone going to get this mad over a meaningless game? & for them to suspend Antonio & give Incognito a pass.... yeah, you're telling the players to "handle it" on the field.Smith has nowhere near the reputation that AJ has. Besides, how often have you witnessed the retaliation get flagged/fined/suspended when the instigation went unpenalized? It happens very often in the flagged/fined portion. I'm not sure on the suspended portion, but you get the point. At this point Smith, regardless of justification, is getting punked by Incognito. This has less to do with right or wrong and more to do with perception. You see hands to the face and face masking every week. When's the last time you saw some one rip a helmet off of an opponent and swing it at them?

Again, I'm not placing blame or exonerating anything, just pointing out the obvious public perception. Smith did wrong. He should take his medicine. The NFL did wrong by not punishing Incognito in some form or fashion (2 years in a row) and by not punishing a referee who should've thrown a flag well before the helmet was ripped off. I don't have an answer on how to deal with the NFL's shortcomings in this. Maybe a bunch of nasty tweets or emails?

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Checked with the league, Antonio Smith won't lose any extra regular season games because of the appeals process. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Eric Davis on Antonio Smith situation. Davis is from the old school and sees it a bit different. Good stuff. http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap2000000231987/Was-Antonio-Smith-just-fixing-it … #Texans

Tailgate
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM

PDS ‏@PatDStat

Eric Davis just went up a notch or two in my book.

DocBar
08-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Eric Davis just went up a notch or two in my book.Agreed.

PapaL
08-20-2013, 09:25 PM
It's really hard to defend Ninja when he's so wrong and it's on film...even when he's so right. The homer in me wants to say the regular season game suspension was unwarranted but it probably is.

Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Playoffs
08-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Being a Texans fan ain't for sissies...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/ROCK_N_HARD_PLACE.gif

Wolf
08-20-2013, 09:33 PM

PDS ‏@PatDStat

I agree with Eric. I know it was a continuation from before. I wish they would have shown things from this game that might have triggered the response

PapaL
08-20-2013, 09:46 PM

Indeed!

Brisco_County
08-20-2013, 10:36 PM
The nature of the media is to generate emotion by elevating people or knocking them down. Bonus ratings when done sequentially to the same person.

Right now, Antonio Smith is the villain, and the national audience is supposed to get mad. "What the hell?! Suspend him five games! Typical dirty Texans!" (I have already read those exact comments).

Emotions then slightly cool, so phase two is to knock down Incognito by rerunning slow motion video of him wrenching Antonio's helmet, while they discuss his history as a dirty player. Even though Incognito's actions were apparent from the beginning, the media didn't acknowledge them during phase one because that would have neutralized anger at Antonio, and anger equals ratings.

Phase three starts with garnering sympathy for Antonio, because how else is a guy going to protect himself if the officials aren't going to regulate dirty players like Incognito? Let's get mad at the officials now. And this Antonio Smith guy is actually quite a character. He calls himself a ninja? That guy's crazy! We all like him now. Maybe the NFL should allow him to play game 1 after all.

The league, being 80% a PR organization, decides that Antonio's appeal has merit, and it totally has nothing to do with public opinion and it totally has everything to do with lapses in officiating.

Fast forward to the season premier of Monday Night Football. What is going to motivate national viewers to stay up to watch the late game? It's the showcasing of the publicly vindicated Antonio Smith and his crazy ninja obsession. That guy's crazy. The media that knocked him down has now elevated him, so people have to watch.

If you think I'm being cynical, then consider how the above narrative benefits both the media and the league. Plus, this is the most interesting story of the pre-season. ACL tears happen every year, but not using a helmet as a weapon. They're going to create layers by reporting it in phases. So don't get mad.

MEGA SWATT
08-20-2013, 11:59 PM
If the Ninja wanted to hit a grand slam with Incrapnito's head, he could have. Incrapnito did NOT pull his head back in a matrix move, rather the Ninja went soft upside his personal space. Trust me, had the Ninja wanted to knock his head off, he could have. The league needs to police it better (dirty players) and this crap will end.

E.D.: "You decided to walk into the Rottweiler's fence, don't get mad if you get bit. That's your fault, I don't feel bad about it!"

SAMURAITEXAN
08-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Ninja maybe went a little too far with taking Incognito's helmet and all but I understand Davis's take. Sometimes you got to stand up and let a guy like Incognito know that you can't be pushed around.

ObsiWan
08-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Duplicate post.

ObsiWan
08-21-2013, 04:03 AM

PDS ‏@PatDStat

E.D. told the TRUTH.
Miami fans won't like it and the NFL won't like it (as he's one of their morning show faces) but he told the Truth. If they (the NFL) wants to fix it, they'll start reviewing the films and start addressing the root cause - levying fines/suspensions on the illegal behavior that sends normally fair players over the edge.

The Texans have the film; they should send in video of the behavior that instigated Ninja's angry response as well as the other clips that Playoffs posted showing Richie going after J.J. Watt.

Oh and they should suspend the ref that watched the whole thing unfold and "ate his hanky" instead of throwing a flag. Last I heard, Hands to the Face was a 15 yd penalty.

Malloy
08-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Isn't this exactly what is happening to Smith?

I don't mind retroactive penalties, but come on, make it CONSISTANT, hurt them all!

Malloy
08-21-2013, 08:11 AM

PDS ‏@PatDStat

Eric Davis is my new hero! :)

IDEXAN
08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment
in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize.

infantrycak
08-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment
in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize.

Seriously doubt that. Smith has been excellent the last two years.

disaacks3
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
It's really hard to defend Ninja when he's so wrong and it's on film...even when he's so right. The homer in me wants to say the regular season game suspension was unwarranted but it probably is.

Caught between a rock and a hard place. That's where I'm at minus one thing...where is Incognito's punsihment?

Texans' brass really got to be disappointed and pizzed-off with their investment in Smith, especially now when they are making a big-run at the big prize. ?? He's in the last year of his contract and might miss one regular-season game. Not seeing the huge disappointment factor.

PapaL
08-21-2013, 09:45 AM
That's where I'm at minus one thing...where is Incognito's punsihment?

?? He's in the last year of his contract and might miss one regular-season game. Not seeing the huge disappointment factor.

I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished. Sucks for Smith but at least it wasn't 6 games and he wasn't popping mollies.

eriadoc
08-21-2013, 09:50 AM

I think some of us have been very clear that we're OK with Antonio Smith getting punished, but we just want Incognito punished AS WELL. He instigated the incident, and he tried to injure Antonio Smith. If there's no punishment for deliberately trying to injure another player, then you have to expect players to "fix it", as ED said.

Ninja maybe went a little too far with taking Incognito's helmet and all but I understand Davis's take. Sometimes you got to stand up and let a guy like Incognito know that you can't be pushed around.

When the league won't protect players, they have to protect themselves. In my eyes, the league is complicit in this incident, because their radar should be locked on to Incognito from years past. That guy has issues with lots of players besides Smith. So letting Incognito's behavior go unchecked is the same as condoning it. So the league is not protecting players from Incognito's play that is clearly outside of the rules and spirit of the game.

So yeah, I'm OK with Smith getting sat down, but I am not OK with the NFL or Incognito. And I am OK with Smith's reaction, except for the fact that he didn't connect. If you're going to get sat down, make it worthwhile. Personally, I hope Incognito suffers some career ending injury.

IDEXAN
08-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Seriously doubt that. Smith has been excellent the last two years.
They weren't, but I'm sure they are today.
They've paid him handsomely for his efforts over the last 2 years, just as they are this season. But Smith is supposed to set the example for the teams rookies and other young players looking to role models, not act like the most immature and out-of-control player on the entire roster. And maybe the Texans blow-out SD, or maybe the game is very close with Smiths absence being the difference between winning and losing.

disaacks3
08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished. Sucks for Smith but at least it wasn't 6 games and he wasn't popping mollies. I see that for "real-time" flags, etc., but not when you've got all day to go back and look at film. In this case, there's zero excuse as neither were flagged during the game.

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Seriously doubt that. Smith has been excellent the last two years.Yep, now way Texans are disappointed in Smiff's top 25% play last two years.

That's where I'm at minus one thing...where is Incognito's punsihment?I thought about that but it's always the guy that retaliates that gets punished.But the league office can retroactively punish what they see. Incognito was digging his left hand into Smith's facemask/eyes and then struck him in the head with his right. No foul? Without those there would not have been any retaliation by Smith.

DX-TEX
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I still don't why the media just chooses to ignore Cognito wrenching Smiths neck right before the swing. Even NFLN just casually removes it like it is nothing

PapaL
08-21-2013, 10:16 AM
I see that for "real-time" flags, etc., but not when you've got all day to go back and look at film. In this case, there's zero excuse as neither were flagged during the game.

But the league office can retroactively punish what they see. Incognito was digging his left hand into Smith's facemask/eyes and then struck him in the head with his right. No foul? Without those there would not have been any retaliation by Smith.

All I'm saying is don't expect the "he hit me first" defense to much. The league is full of hypocrites. Should Incognito get something too? Absolutely. I just don't see it happening. I'm just skeptical of the league actually doing the right thing.

Double Barrel
08-21-2013, 10:25 AM
They've paid him handsomely for his efforts over the last 2 years, just as they are this season. But Smith is supposed to set the example for the teams rookies and other young players looking to role models, not act like the most immature and out-of-control player on the entire roster. And maybe the Texans blow-out SD, or maybe the game is very close with Smiths absence being the difference between winning and losing.

BS. That defense sees one of their leaders not taking crap from some dirty POS like Incognito. I guarantee the respect they have for Smith shadows any negative repercussions from this incident.

You think guys on the Steel Curtain or Doomsday Defense would put up with a punk like Ingognito pulling his dirty crap? Of course not. And we need defense like those historic units. A team that does not take crap from anyone and walks the line.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Interesting piece by Solomon in the Chronicle this morning:

Solomon: Texans’ Smith hardly the first player to swing a helmet at a foe (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=6&ved=0CEsQqQIoADAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.chron.com%2Fultimatetexans%2 F2013%2F08%2Fwith-arian-foster-watching-ben-tate-is-starting-for-texans%2F&ei=89EUUo7mNMLN2QW8jYHIDg&usg=AFQjCNHvLR1poTu3KZ_eJCN4DiRfyGvYug&sig2=5xdQBeJMGymv3_ndsBl16g&bvm=bv.50952593,d.b2I)

The1ApplePie
08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I still don't why the media just chooses to ignore Cognito wrenching Smiths neck right before the swing. Even NFLN just casually removes it like it is nothing

Smith is only getting sympathy from Texans homers. Its either an all-reaching media conspiracy against Antonio Smith, or it is a case of rose-tinted glasses.

No problem with Antonio retaliating against a POS. But trying to hit a guy in the head with a blunt object...

Now if he had given Incognito an AJ style beatdown like what happened to Finnegan, there would be much rejoicing in the football world.

IDEXAN
08-21-2013, 10:54 AM
BS. That defense sees one of their leaders not taking crap from some dirty POS like Incognito. I guarantee the respect they have for Smith shadows any negative repercussions from this incident.

C'mon, it's a meaningless exhibition game, and Smith goes brain-dead and ends up getting busted for a game that really counts. He should have just walked away or laughed it off, especially since he's gone up against this dirty bastaxd several times in the past. How stupid is that, really, for Smith to go nutz agasint this guy and have this happen a couple weeks befor the season begins ?
Just grow up already Antonio.

You think guys on the Steel Curtain or Doomsday Defense would put up with a punk like Ingognito pulling his dirty crap? Of course not. And we need defense like those historic units. A team that does not take crap from anyone and walks the line.
Rock of ages, Truth of devine..... decades and decades ago before Goodell and concussion litigation specialists appeared on the scene.

b0ng
08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Now if he had given Incognito an AJ style beatdown like what happened to Finnegan, there would be much rejoicing in the football world.

Exactly. As dumb as it may sound, if Smith had just gone Roy Jones jr on Incognito rather than swinging a helmet around, there would be much less blowback on Smith, and media probably would've concentrated more on how Incognito plays dirty.

Or at least thats how it plays out in my head (probably would not have happened this way). It also doesn't help that Smith has gotten a few fines for blows to the head already in just his Texans career.

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Interesting piece by Solomon in the Chronicle this morning:

Solomon: Texans’ Smith hardly the first player to swing a helmet at a foe (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/08/solomon-texans-smith-hardly-the-first-player-to-swing-a-helmet-at-a-foe/)
Fixed link. :)

So Michael Irvin used his helmet as a weapon during halftime fight,

and when Raiders Howie Long got into it with Patriots GM Patrick Sullivan Matt Millen stepped in and whomped the GM in the forehead with his helmet.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Great very short little podcast Ephraim Salaam:

Fighting is exhausting!.........fighting and playing football is unbearable!

The older I got, the less I fought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQlrPTvjd6U

drs23
08-21-2013, 11:36 AM

If that's the case, as has already been pointed out several times, then there are more problems than missing Antonio for one regular season game.

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike this morning talking about this went through Incognito's long history of cheap shot play ( even admitting it in an older interview ) saying, "Ritchie Incognito is far from innocent here".

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 12:21 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Eric Davis on Antonio Smith situation. Davis is from the old school and sees it a bit different. Good stuff. http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-te...just-fixing-it … #Texans

Interesting video. Especially how the two that played in the league are saying one thing & the two that have never played just don't understand.

I think it sucks that Antonio will miss a regular season game. Sucks x2 that Incognito won't miss a game, a game check, or have to pay any kind of fine. IMO, that's the league condoning what Incognito did.

But I'm not mad at Antonio. This is a man's game, played by men. If the league isn't going to stop that kind of behavior, someone has to. I doubt Incognito put his hands anywhere near Antonio's face mask the rest of the night.

Brisco_County
08-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Adam Schefter on Mike & Mike this morning talking about this went through Incognito's long history of cheap shot play ( even admitting it in an older interview ) saying, "Ritchie Incognito is far from innocent here".

To quote my last post:

...Phase two is to knock down Incognito by rerunning slow motion video of him wrenching Antonio's helmet, while they discuss his history as a dirty player. Even though Incognito's actions were apparent from the beginning, the media didn't acknowledge them during phase one because that would have neutralized anger at Antonio, and anger equals ratings.

They're going to create layers by reporting it in phases. So don't get mad.

After they knock down Incognito, the conversation will then turn to officials not calling dirty plays at the line or in a pile, and "is the NFL doing enough to police this?" I'm sure Jim Rome will be burning over it. Then Antonio will be a sympathetic character and get some interviews here and there, creating tension and debate among the national audience over whether he will play game 1 or not.

b0ng
08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Interesting video. Especially how the two that played in the league are saying one thing & the two that have never played just don't understand.

I think it sucks that Antonio will miss a regular season game. Sucks x2 that Incognito won't miss a game, a game check, or have to pay any kind of fine. IMO, that's the league condoning what Incognito did.

But I'm not mad at Antonio. This is a man's game, played by men. If the league isn't going to stop that kind of behavior, someone has to. I doubt Incognito put his hands anywhere near Antonio's face mask the rest of the night.

I want to say that Smith was pulled from the game by the Texans shortly after that happened. I know that the scoring drive Miami had with Tanny connecting to Wallace for a TD, the drive was mostly Jamison, Crick, and McClain as the D-line (Except for the actual TD, they put in Watt and Smith on that ONE play, weird). And then after that I didn't see Smith anymore.

I think Incognito is the kind of guy that wants something like that to happen so he can get the man he engages in a lot to get ejected.

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Good luck with that, Antonio. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
Note: Former Baltimore C Matt Birk could hear/decide appeal. Played vs Smith 4 times last 3 years. Including 2011 game, where Smith drew 2 Personal Foul flags
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Antonio Smith is expected to appeal the punishment. The appeals officers are Matt Birk and Ted Cottrell
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Former 49ers S Merton Hanks decided the punishment. Matt Bark or Ted Cottrell would handle any appeal.

NFL announced: Texans DE Antonio Smith suspended final two preseason games and one regular season game without pay for helmet incident.

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 12:26 PM

This is the example I want from my vets.... we're not punks, don't let nobody punk you. If you let these players do this, they'll do it to your teammates because you didn't take care of it when you had the chance.

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Yep, now way Texans are disappointed in Smiff's top 25% play last two years.

But the league office can retroactively punish what they see. Incognito was digging his left hand into Smith's facemask/eyes and then struck him in the head with his right. No foul? Without those there would not have been any retaliation by Smith.

What's really goofy, is this comes on the heels of the NFL saying no to custom face masks for defensive players.

DX-TEX
08-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
New twists to Richie Incognito situation...ESPN Insiders at 3 pm ET.
Expand

Wonder what it is?

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Wonder what it is?

All kinds of sh!t being dumped onto Richie Incognito by Schefter -- on & off the field.

DX-TEX
08-21-2013, 02:11 PM
All kinds of sh!t being dumped onto Richie Incognito by Schefter -- on & off the field.

Schefter throwing truth bombs about Incognito on ESPN! Showing his history of being a constant jerk and revelations that Cognito knocked a hotel employee out recently when confronted.

#FREEANTONIOSMITH

DX-TEX
08-21-2013, 02:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp-sources

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, no stranger to altercations, was involved in another notable one before training camp.

After a late night at a nightclub in the Fountainbleu hotel in Miami, Incognito punched and knocked out a hotel security guard, according to league sources.

One person who knows Incognito says the Dolphins guard was punched first.

There is videotape of the incident but the hotel is unwilling to turn it over and the NFL has not yet seen it -- and might not due to fact that it is the hotel's property and the Fountainbleu prefers that attention not be brought to the issue.

The Dolphins have been aware of the incident because, as one source said, "they've done everything to bury it."

:roast::lol::lol::lol:

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 02:23 PM
#FREEANTONIOSMITH
Richie Incognito had another incident

Adam Schefter (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp-sources)

On Saturday night, a video replay of the incident shows Incognito sticking his hands under Smith's facemask, then shoving the Texans defensive end before Smith ripped off Incognito's helmet and swung it in anger...

#FREEANTONIOSMITH

EllisUnit
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Coaches who looked at the film said Incognito did nothing wrong on the play huh ? I guess we need to start teaching our offensive line the best way to block a player now is by grabbing their face mask and not letting go until the play is over.

TexansBlood
08-21-2013, 02:42 PM
This is the example I want from my vets.... we're not punks, don't let nobody punk you. If you let these players do this, they'll do it to your teammates because you didn't take care of it when you had the chance.

I understand but at the same time we can't be baited into getting penalties and suspensions, cause it can cost us games.

PapaL
08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I understand but at the same time we can't be baited into getting penalties and suspensions, cause it can cost us games.

Andre Johnson beats Finnegan's ass and there's hardly a peep about costing us games and being professional. Some times you have to say enough is enough and punch a bully in the mouth.

Smith should NOT have swung that helmet but he sure as hell should gone AJ on Incognito and put a few lumps on his head. That's for damn sure.

paycheck71
08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Funny how this case is handled differently by FS1 and ESPN. :)

FS1 and Glazer wanted to put themselves on the map by making a huge deal out of what AS did. Now ESPN is showing the opposite point of view.

Competition is good!

Malloy
08-21-2013, 02:54 PM
Coaches who looked at the film said Incognito did nothing wrong on the play huh ? I guess we need to start teaching our offensive line the best way to block a player now is by grabbing their face mask and not letting go until the play is over.

That struck me too... What coaches.. we must be talking about Miami line coaches here or ?

DX-TEX
08-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Andre Johnson beats Finnegan's ass and there's hardly a peep about costing us games and being professional. Some times you have to say enough is enough and punch a bully in the mouth.

Smith should NOT have swung that helmet but he sure as hell should gone AJ on Incognito and out a few lumps on his head. That's for damn sure.

Technically Cogboy should have been on suspension for assault and not playing....:lol:

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Stupid flashes of stupid..... I agree with you. What I'm condoning doesn't happen every day. The Aj thing had been a long time coming, built up over years & years of the league allowing cheap play from Finnegan.......... & Richie Incognito is no angel.

PapaL
08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Stupid flashes of stupid..... I agree with you. What I'm condoning doesn't happen every day. The Aj thing had been a long time coming, built up over years & years of the league allowing cheap play from Finnegan.......... & Richie Incognito is no angle.

Incognito and Smith goes back to Rams and Cardinals days. This war predates current franchises.

ESPN LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp-sources)

Their disagreements date back to when Smith and Incognito played in the NFC West, Smith for the Cardinals and Incognito for the Rams.

Cardinals players such as Smith and Darnell Dockett were known to dislike Incognito for the way he played. "They HATE each other," one person familiar with the two player's battles texted Tuesday. Smith felt as strongly as he did because he felt Incognito pinched players on the bottom of piles and delivered late hits when players weren't looking.

Rey
08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Stupid flashes of stupid..... I agree with you. What I'm condoning doesn't happen every day. The Aj thing had been a long time coming, built up over years & years of the league allowing cheap play from Finnegan.......... & Richie Incognito is no angle.

I dunno. He seems kind of obtuse to me.

TexanDave
08-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Is Antonio still appealing the suspension? Does he really think it will get reduced?

What worries me is he appeals it and "plays" these last 2 preseason games and they uphold the suspension does that then mean he will miss 3 regular season games once they make their decision to uphold the suspension?

I would rather him accept it and miss the rest of preseason and only miss one meaningful game.

Rey
08-21-2013, 03:51 PM
No.

eriadoc
08-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Richie Incognito is no angle.

Would need some women to weigh in, but he sure doesn't seem like a cute one.

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 04:06 PM

:foottap:

Didn't get it until

Would need some women to weigh in, but he sure doesn't seem like a cute one.

when spell check isn't enough.

EllisUnit
08-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Has this video been removed, it says its no longer available to me

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 06:06 PM

Gone now. I guess the NFL (or ESPN) didn't share Eric Davis' opinion.

EllisUnit
08-21-2013, 06:13 PM

So much for Democracy :kitten:

Hardcore Texan
08-21-2013, 06:22 PM

MSR!!!

Playoffs
08-21-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm on my iPhone, but does this link work?:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/NFL-Network-Debate-about-Smith/c5f8a57d-08e0-4224-9595-40c54943af11

Scooter
08-21-2013, 06:50 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/NFL-Network-Debate-about-Smith/c5f8a57d-08e0-4224-9595-40c54943af11

this one works for me. i completely agree with eric davis.

thunderkyss
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Yes, that works. Thanks.

EllisUnit
08-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes, that works. Thanks.

HAHA love that guy now, glad someone sees what was happening on that play besides us texans fans !!!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Richie Incognito had another incident (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp-sources)
Updated: August 21, 2013, 7:35 PM ET

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, no stranger to altercations, was involved in another notable one before training camp.

The incident, which happened June 10 at Club Liv nightclub in the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami, involved a fight that included Incognito and a hotel security guard.

According to the police report, Incognito and a group of friends were trying to get a closer look at an on-stage performer, at which point the security guard asked the group to back up.

A member of Incognito's group then pushed the security guard, which started a fight. Incognito told police he tried to break up the incident.

Incognito refused medical treatment for minor facial injuries, according to the report.

League sources said Incognito punched and knocked out the security guard, though the police report makes no mention of this.

One person who knows Incognito says the Dolphins guard was punched first.

There is videotape of the incident, but the hotel is unwilling to turn it over and the NFL has not yet seen it -- and might not because it is the hotel's property and the Fontainebleau prefers that attention not be brought to the issue.

The Dolphins have been aware of the incident because, as one source said, "They've done everything to bury it."

The NFL declined comment. The league knows it cannot police all altercations involving NFL players, though this one happened in public, with witnesses. It is premature, but Incognito's altercation could be a violation of the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

PapaL
08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Is Antonio still appealing the suspension? Does he really think it will get reduced?

What worries me is he appeals it and "plays" these last 2 preseason games and they uphold the suspension does that then mean he will miss 3 regular season games once they make their decision to uphold the suspension?

I would rather him accept it and miss the rest of preseason and only miss one meaningful game.

He's only appealing the regular season suspension. He cannot be suspended any more games.

TejasTom
08-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Richie Incognito had another incident (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp-sources)
Updated: August 21, 2013, 7:35 PM ET

Fontainebleau is waiting for TMZ to up the ante before they will release the video.

Giant Tiger
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I'll say this much; Smith probably shouldn't have used the helmet, but otoh, if he doesn't do anything; Incognito still plays dirty. I'll be interested to see if other guys get p*ssed off at Incognito this year :twocents:

Playoffs
08-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Appeal is today...

As I noted yesterday, Smith isn't going into his appeal alone. #Texans are backing him and will help. Looks like he'll need that.

Important to note, not all the violations... were penalized. #Texans

After Antonio Smith's suspension, NFL VP of Football Operations wrote him a letter and noted his 7 violations since 2011

speedfreek
08-22-2013, 03:00 PM
The name "Richie Incognito" is perfect for the new master villian
in the next Austin Powers movie.

(or perhaps Inspector Gadget..)

TJ

TheIronDuke
08-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Between Incognito and Slauson, the AFC East has the biggest douchnozzle O-linemen in the game.

HOU-TEX
08-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Denied!!

As if we didn't know the discipline woul be upheld

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 29m
Texans DE Antonio Smith's expedited appeal of his one-game suspension was denied. The discipline was upheld.

Playoffs
08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Denied!!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 29m
Texans DE Antonio Smith's expedited appeal of his one-game suspension was denied. The discipline was upheld.

#FreeNinjaAssasinNow

Big Lou
08-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Denied!!

As if we didn't know the discipline woul be upheld

I'm guessing Incognito recieved no hand slapping????

What a load of sh*t...... Hey Goodell you're a Douche.

HJam72
08-23-2013, 02:23 PM
I really find it absurd they aren't punishing Incontinent here. It's one thing to facemask, but it's another to then wrench it in a second direction and throw a roundhouse punch at the guy (he did still have his helmet on).

EllisUnit
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Well the NFL is telling offensive linemen it is ok to grab, sling peoples necks around by the face mask and even punch it. This should def help in the protection of Schaub this season.

Goodell is making the NFL a joke, and so far the joke is on us for still listening.

The NFL is going to :choke: itself.

drs23
08-23-2013, 07:46 PM
I really find it absurd they aren't punishing Incontinent here. It's one thing to facemask, but it's another to then wrench it in a second direction and throw a roundhouse punch at the guy (he did still have his helmet on).

Best nicknamie for that bastid yet.

REP

Playoffs
09-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Antonio Smith forgives Richie Incognito and will probably thank him (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23313142/antonio-smith-forgives-richie-incognito-and-may)

"At the end of the day, after all of my hurt and pain, ranting and raving (and) Why me? Why me? Why me?, at the end of the day, the thing that was most important is I'm looking in the meeting room and all of my brothers and they're looking at me," Smith said. 'Like man I can't believe you're going to be gone. We're going to miss you.' That's all you heard every day.

"That became like torture after a few days. Your teammates they're showing you their support, but at the same time they're showing you their support, they remind you of what you're going to be missing because they value you so much, because they respect you so much, because they love you so much.

"That thing humbled me more than anything. Whether they see it that way or not, or I see it that way or not, I'm letting down my team at the end of the day."
"I came to terms with the whole situation, even the ankle situation last year and the numerous amounts of things that me and him have been into over the years.

"The things that I'm focused on now will shock the world. It's given me like a reemergence. I'll probably thank him at the end of this season. I have a drive that I probably haven't felt in like years, a reawakening that I haven't felt in years."
The suspension cost Smith one game check, more than $350,000.

He said he would gladly pay twice that to help the Texans win the Super Bowl.

"I'm saying to win the Super Bowl, I'd give away another $300,000," Smith said.

"Fans just watch, just watch," Smith said. "This is going to be a special season for us and I think that this is team is fixing to make a transition that's going to turn this franchise into one of those teams mentioned when you talk about great teams, great offenses, defenses. You don't get that validation until you win a Super Bowl. I'm going to dream and I'm going to hope."

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23313142/antonio-smith-forgives-richie-incognito-and-may#ixzz2dfnaBH93

RCPM
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Antonio Smith forgives Richie Incognito and will probably thank him (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23313142/antonio-smith-forgives-richie-incognito-and-may)

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23313142/antonio-smith-forgives-richie-incognito-and-may#ixzz2dfnaBH93

Nice!

ObsiWan
09-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Good for Ninja...

Corrosion
09-02-2013, 03:42 AM
Any new info on Incogstupido's knocking a bouncer out at a club ?!

ObsiWan
09-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Any new info on Incogstupido's knocking a bouncer out at a club ?!

Is this something new or another reference to the altercation back in June at Club Liv nightclub in the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami?
ESPN Link (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9588994/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-was-altercation-training-camp)

Texn4life
09-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Sorry if I missed it, but when do the Texans have to make a roster move to account for Antonio Smith? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

escrimador
09-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but when do the Texans have to make a roster move to account for Antonio Smith? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

Queesenberry got moved to full IR.

Texn4life
09-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Queesenberry got moved to full IR.

Thanks..... Don't know how I missed that.

ObsiWan
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks..... Don't know how I missed that.

From the Tues. presser (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Coach-Kubiak-Press-Conference/44a32ca6-6d58-4cc9-80e7-b4f5d976f035)....
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on if DE Antonio Smithhttp://www.houstontexans.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/antonio-smith/82534d34-3e61-4f05-9e16-bac07912ec67/) was reinstated today) “Yes, my understanding to be honest with you, we’ve been going 100 miles an hour since we landed, but, yes, he could be back in the building today is my understanding.”
(on if DE Antonio Smith will be back on the field at practice tomorrow and what the corresponding roster move will be) “Yes, expectations are for him to be. Well, (T David) Quessenberry will go on IR today. Antonio will take his spot.”
(on what the team will do with T David Quessenberryhttp://www.houstontexans.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/david-quessenberry/a1444c97-22b0-4378-8da8-acfc48382c24/)) “He will go to IR.”
(on if T David Quessenberry will go on the injured reserve with a designation to return or the full injured reserve) “Full IR, yeah.”

Spled
11-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Antonio has the last word - http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/11/texans-antonio-smith-not-surprised-by-richie-incognitos-reported-actions/

Vance87
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Antonio vs Heartclogcheeto in a back alley, who ya got? Ninja all the way.

mussop
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
How ironic that a fat ass gets suspended for calling another guy a fat ass. Hey cognito, tatoos don't make you not fat.