PDA

View Full Version : Positives and negatives.

76Texan
08-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Glad to see Cushing back!

Good competition at QB.

Some concern on the O-line, but they did have a good test.
They need to get better here for the Texans to be a real contender.

Your thoughts?

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Glad to see Cushing back!

Good competition at QB.

Some concern on the O-line, but they did have a good test.
They need to get better here for the Texans to be a real contender.

Your thoughts?

Ben Jones was owned.....almost looked like Brown was baby sitting and leaving his post (shifting to the point it affected his game somewhat) to help, and Newton looked slow and clumsy.

Playoffs
08-17-2013, 11:37 PM
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
"He got a concussion. I don't know what play it happened on exactly. He's doing fine now." Kubiak on WR DeAndre Hopkins

DocBar
08-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Tannehill tore up our D with ease. I'm worried about the unit, as a whole. I know it's preseason, but dayum.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2013, 11:39 PM

He doesn't know on what play it happened????:mcnugget:

76Texan
08-17-2013, 11:41 PM

Dang, NO!

76Texan
08-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Ben Jones was owned.....almost looked like Brown was baby sitting and leaving his post (shifting to the point it affected his game somewhat) to help, and Newton looked slow and clumsy.

I need to go back and watch the line play.
But this is why I will confess that I want a QB who can get the ball off.
You have to plan for good play by the defense from time to time.
It's going to happen.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2013, 11:45 PM
The play it happened in was the last catch he made when his shoulder and head hit the ground hard............Kubiak, I know you don't watch field goals..........but you do watch the rest of the game, don't you????

76Texan
08-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Tannehill tore up our D with ease. I'm worried about the unit, as a whole. I know it's preseason, but dayum.

I'm not too concerned, yet.
But I have a question; how does JJo look to you guys?

PapaL
08-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Nuk injury is no good.

RB play is great. I think we're set up pretty nice for next year when Tate leaves.

OL has issues.

Lots of positives along the DL.

JJ played 2 snaps, not overly concerned about the play of the D. We will see them next week for sure.

DJ looked good. Confident. Layed out TE Keller. Clean hit.

Good QB2 battle. Case impressed me. TJ looked good.

WR interest me.

OLB looks mighty shaky still.

P Shapiro - someone is going to sign that dude. He's booming punts.

K Bullock looks good. Found it odd that the holder was Lechler but he didn't punt at all.

JCTexan

The long drive in the 2nd Quarter came against Houston's 2nd string defense.

76Texan
The play it happened in was the last catch he made when his shoulder and head hit the ground hard............Kubiak, I know you don't watch field goals..........but you do watch the rest of the game, don't you????

I'll be honest, I watched the replay from a distance, so I can't tell what was going on. Can you describe it?

76Texan
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Man, I have no idea which RB we're going to keep as the third string.

Papal is impressed with Keenum's play, woohoo!

I didn't worry hardly about Swearinger in the last game.
He will come along the more experience he has.

EllisUnit
08-17-2013, 11:55 PM
My boy jean looked good !

Case looked good.

Secondary left me scratching my head.

The new screens in the stadium looked good.

Texans cheerleaders looked hot...

Just happy football is back !

Playoffs
08-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Quess looked to me to have a good game.

Our TEs are good. Byrne blocks & catches.

Keshawn gave us what he was showing in camp. Lestar stepped in nicely.

Mays did not impress.

Newton was a turnstile early.

Deji Kareem looked good.

Bullock's 46 yarder landed high on the net.

Sloppy 1st quarter.

Thorn
08-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Defense not up to par, but I'm not going to worry about it just yet.

We have a good battle for the backup QB position.

Lower deck RBs and receivers look to make some good depth.

When are we supposed to see this wonderful fantastic punter we got from Oakland?

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:00 AM
For the most part, I agree the other receivers like Jean and Martin stepped up today.

Griffin sure looks like he demands more playing time.
I always know he can be efficient in the passing game, but he's been showing more than I thought.
He's making it awfully hard for the PS TEs now.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:05 AM

We have a good battle for the backup QB position.

Lower deck RBs and receivers look to make some good depth.

When are we supposed to see this wonderful fantastic punter we got from Oakland?

I think Kubiak is giving Shapiro all the opportunities to make it on another team.
That's a good strategy for the long term.
It also tells the guys that, hey, keep working hard.
You really make your own opportunity.
The ball is in your hand, or leg ... OK, never mind, LOL!

TEXANRED
08-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Positives: Our passing game looks unstoppable. Our Dline and Cush looking like monsters. Swearinger stepped up and straight up balled tonight.

Negatives: No run game (starters). Non existent OLBing core, our special teams still suck.

JCTexan
08-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Positives.

Yates & Keenum - Hard not to be impressed by both guys tonight. I was really liking what I saw from Keenum tonight. He was quick getting rid of the ball and was accurate on most of his throws, but I think Yates might have outdone him.

Cierre Wood & Deji Karim - Karim easily looked the best among all of the RB's tonight. He's got nice speed to the outside. I was still impressed with Cierre Wood, though I was a bit disappointed he didn't play until the 4th. He has nice vision and every time he's handed the ball he gets positive yards: Something very few of our RB's have been able to do yet.

D.J. Swearinger - Love what I saw from this guy today. He just seems to always be around the ball.

The WR's - They all looked good as a group tonight. I don't recall any drops and they all got in on the action.

Trevardo Williams - Two sacks tonight.

PapaL
08-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Man, I have no idea which RB we're going to keep as the third string.

Papal is impressed with Keenum's play, woohoo!

I didn't worry hardly about Swearinger in the last game.
He will come along the more experience he has.

Hahaha I have no problem giving credit when it's due. I just don't care what he did in college. He made good throws. Progressions looked good. Looked confident. That I support.:texflag:

ObsiWan
08-18-2013, 12:21 AM

I wish I could be as calm as you. If they couldn't get Tannehill off the field, what will they do when Drew Brees and his air show comes to town next week?? <shudder>

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Hahaha I have no problem giving credit when it's due. I just don't care what he did in college. He made good throws. Progressions looked good. Looked confident. That I support.:texflag:

Kudo to you!

I'm glad you know why I was supportive of him.
I do agree that his size is not optimum, but only because I know how hard these guys can hit in the NFL.
As long as he makes smart decisions not to expose himself, he stands a chance of playing in the NFL (in whatever capacity.)

The guy knows how to play QB; I have no doubt about it.

PapaL
08-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Kudo to you!

I'm glad you know why I was supportive of him.
I do agree that his size is not optimum, but only because I know how hard these guys can hit in the NFL.
As long as he makes smart decisions not to expose himself, he stands a chance of playing in the NFL (in whatever capacity.)

The guy knows how to play QB; I have no doubt about it.

That I can support. It's the "he should be starting over Schaub" and the "he's clearly better than TJ" crowd that I cannot support. If he beats out TJ, more power to him. I just don't believe in the he's a local kid so he should be giving preferential treatment.

JCTexan
08-18-2013, 12:27 AM
I wish I could be as calm as you. If they couldn't get Tannehill off the field, what will they do when Drew Brees and his air show comes to town next week?? <shudder>

I'm not too worried yet. The long drive Miami had in the 2nd Quarter came against Houston's 2nd string defense while they had the majority of their first stringers out there.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2013, 12:40 AM
I'll be honest, I watched the replay from a distance, so I can't tell what was going on. Can you describe it?

The last pass Deandre caught, he went up into the air......was tackled and came down hard on the back of his left shoulder (it almost looked like he could have popped his shoulder) and his head snapped back and hit the ground hard.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2013, 12:49 AM
RB: I'm going to say this and it's probably just going to confirm to you guys that I'm crazy but...

How about we trade Tate now while we can get something for him. Then we move Karim to the #2 and Wood up to #3 and put DJ on the PS.

Tate missing that blitz pickup and almost getting Schaub killed was just about the last straw for me.

QB: Case looked great. TJ looked great. I'm psyched.

OLB: I'm not sure what I think about this group. Willie shows some flashes, Tuggle shows some flashes, and then Trevardo comes up with a couple of sacks against the scrubs.

OL: Newton has got to step up or we need to stick Harris in there or something.

DL: We've got a good group. Lots of nice depth.

DB: JJo worried me with his coverage. Roc has to go. And now Keo and Pleasant are injured?

WR: I was wrong about Jean. I'm worried about Hopkins.

DX-TEX
08-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Im positive that the OLB group is the biggest negative on this team

TexanBacker93
08-18-2013, 01:11 AM

They got him off the field 3 out of 5 drives. Neither TD drive was against the full D. The 2nd drive was against the 2s and benefitted from stupid plays from guys that might not make the team. It wasn't a perfect performance, but it wasn't horrible.

DocBar
08-18-2013, 01:11 AM
I'm not too concerned, yet.
But I have a question; how does JJo look to you guys?Been burned a couple of times. Might be dogging it due to PS and all, but got flat outran by Wallace at least once tonight. All in all, I wonder about him. Was 2011 the fluke year or was 2012? IMO, the entire D, in the 1st quarter. looked iffy. Again, it's PS game #2. Hopefully next week will put some doubts to rest.

I must say that the 1st half had a regular season feel to it. Both teams seemed to be playing hard.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Im positive that the OLB group is the biggest negative on this team

Hahaha, nice play of words!

gwallaia
08-18-2013, 01:24 AM
Earl Mitchell looked great.
Brice McCain looked terrible.

Case and TJ both looked good.

PapaL
08-18-2013, 01:25 AM
We will cut some guys that will make other rosters. That's for sure; especially RB.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Been burned a couple of times. Might be dogging it due to PS and all, but got flat outran by Wallace at least once tonight. All in all, I wonder about him. Was 2011 the fluke year or was 2012? IMO, the entire D, in the 1st quarter. looked iffy. Again, it's PS game #2. Hopefully next week will put some doubts to rest.

I must say that the 1st half had a regular season feel to it. Both teams seemed to be playing hard.

I feel the same way.

There was a lot of energy in the first half from both teams, you can feel it.
Whether because we've been an enigma to some of their players or not, it did feel a bit more than a regular season game.

Which is good for both teams, I think.
That defense is no slouch . We knew that coming in.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Earl Mitchell looked great.
Brice McCain looked terrible.

Case and TJ both looked good.

I didn't zeroe in on Earl even though I'd love to learn how he did about Pouncey.
It was one of the things that I want to see, but I didn't think I can have enough time to span around in one look.

We should have split ourselves into groups to watch different positions so that we can have a better glimpse at each of them instead of trying to go it alone, JMO.

Texn4life
08-18-2013, 01:44 AM
If Montgomery is going to play like he did tonight then he needs to go on IR. He was slow off the ball, had no explosiveness, and got handled like a rag doll on one pass rush where he was shoved to the ground. That was an embarrassing showing for him.

Texn4life
08-18-2013, 01:45 AM
I didn't zeroe in on Earl even though I'd love to learn how he did about Pouncey.
It was one of the things that I want to see, but I didn't think I can have enough time to span around in one look.

We should have split ourselves into groups to watch different positions so that we can have a better glimpse at each of them instead of trying to go it alone, JMO.

That's a good idea 76 and I think we did that last year. Maybe we can do that next game.

DocBar
08-18-2013, 01:47 AM
That's a good idea 76 and I think we did that last year. Maybe we can do that next game.

It wouldn't dome much good. I'm watching on the internet and it's so blurry I can't tell a players number too well.

The Third Man
08-18-2013, 02:50 AM

They give up a lot of points in a preseason game that has no bearing on their season whatsoever?

Rey
08-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Jjo struggled.

The DB's weren't great with coverage. Newton is gonna get someone killed. Running game is suspect. Schaub looks like himself. Which isn't a great thing. He's who I thought he was...good enough, but also bad enough at times.

I feel a bit better about the OLB's. I think we'll be fine there. The LB's in general seen better than last year.

Keenum is good. Quick release. Anticipation, throws beautiful balls. Good mobility. Command. I'm serious when I say I want to see him with the ones. I think keenum could spark this offense to another level. Schaub should be fighting with him for a job.

Swagg was swagg. What I expect. Ninja looked great. We should keep Shapiro. Deji looks good. The WR corps looked really good....with keenum in. Our offense looked dangerous and explosive with keenum.

Ryan griffin and grahm looked good to go.

Dennis Johnson just ain't got it at this point. Keo looked solid actually.

dalemurphy
08-18-2013, 04:14 AM
Newton was terrible!- not just on the sack, but in the strong side running game... and against the second team Dolphin defense as well.

Tate was pathetic. He was indecisive at the line and missed the hole often.

Quisenberry got blown up at least once but also looked very good in the 3rd quarter.

WRs all looked good

Swearinger looked very good

Randy Bullock kickoffs are a sight for sore eyes.

Willie Jefferson is easily the best of the rookie OLBs at this point- and the only one that should be on the field right now.

Garrett Graham looks stronger- his blocking was better and he just appears more physical this year.

Hopkins is a very willing blocker.

I can't watch the offensive line when Andrew Gardner is playing tackle.

NastyNate
08-18-2013, 04:58 AM
I don't know how much cap space we can save by cutting Tate, but if we could I'd gladly do it to sign Cierre Wood and Deji Karim for pennies. Tate strugges to stay on the field, is below average in pass protection, and forces too much in a stretch run scheme.

Keenum lit it up.

Derek Newton, wow, simply abysmal. We're going to have to get him a glass stomach so he can continue to play with his head up his ass.

Swearinger balling out there.

WR's looking solid.

Willie Jefferson looks like a steal, better make the team.

Trevardo Williams finally showing up!

DB's were all over the place. Actually solid play from Brandon Harris today.

CeeQue
08-18-2013, 06:07 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. We're going to face some above average QBs on our schedule this year in the NFC West, Denver, NE, etc.... All of which have proven that they can torch man coverage.

LikeMike
08-18-2013, 08:02 AM
What I liked:

McClain - our NT spot was an area of concern before the season, I think it might be one of our strengths coming out. Our D-Line will be flat out scary.

RBs - basically all of them looked good, Wood and Karim probably the best of the bunch. Whoever we pick, we will have 3 great RBs on this squad.

WRs - Jean and Lemon showing up, Martin looking better and Hopkins showing signs of greatness. And let`s not forget Posey is on the verge of coming back and we have that late rounder still waiting for his chance.

TEs - Griffin is impressing me, Graham is up for a breakout season, Daniels is Danies

Backup QBs - both look good and in control of the game. Keenum is the exciting one since he might be that hidden gem - Yates is the experienced one with a playoff win under his belt.

K/P - both looked great

What I didn`t like:

O-Line: Newton looked horrible on the sack and bad on other plays - so did Jones and as a result even Brown. Ive felt like this was our biggest weakness before the season, and I still feel so.

LBs: Some did good and I sure am glad to have Cushing back - but other than him noone seems to really seperate himself from the group

Secondary - Wide open receivers all over the field. I hope nothing is wrong with JoJo and I hope somebody else will step up. Safeties look good though (including Keo)

ST - really? Still a penalty on every return? Still no clear blocking lanes?

bckey
08-18-2013, 08:15 AM
RB: I'm going to say this and it's probably just going to confirm to you guys that I'm crazy but...

How about we trade Tate now while we can get something for him. Then we move Karim to the #2 and Wood up to #3 and put DJ on the PS.

I've been thinking the same thing. Get something for him now while they can. The depth behind Foster is the best its ever been.

AngryNateFTW
08-18-2013, 11:06 AM
If Montgomery is going to play like he did tonight then he needs to go on IR. He was slow off the ball, had no explosiveness, and got handled like a rag doll on one pass rush where he was shoved to the ground. That was an embarrassing showing for him.

First contact in a while. Cushing was getting knocked around too. They both need to get their feet under them.

Tailgate
08-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I've been thinking the same thing. Get something for him now while they can. The depth behind Foster is the best its ever been.

Get what? Its preseason, and Tate is coming off a recent groin injury.

AngryNateFTW
08-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Jjo struggled.

The DB's weren't great with coverage. Newton is gonna get someone killed. Running game is suspect. Schaub looks like himself. Which isn't a great thing. He's who I thought he was...good enough, but also bad enough at times.

I feel a bit better about the OLB's. I think we'll be fine there. The LB's in general seen better than last year.

Keenum is good. Quick release. Anticipation, throws beautiful balls. Good mobility. Command. I'm serious when I say I want to see him with the ones. I think keenum could spark this offense to another level. Schaub should be fighting with him for a job.

Swagg was swagg. What I expect. Ninja looked great. We should keep Shapiro. Deji looks good. The WR corps looked really good....with keenum in. Our offense looked dangerous and explosive with keenum.

Shapiro booms his punts and also has very nice touch.

Where do we put him though? PS?

bckey
08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Get what? Its preseason, and Tate is coming off a recent groin injury.

Get more than you are gonna get at the end of the season which is nothing. At least attempt it. I don't think Cierre Wood will make it to the practice squad if they keep Tate and Karim.

Playoffs
08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Can't believe DeAndre got a concussion on that play... damn.

I'm not seeing our two 3rd rounders or our 4th rounder on the opening day roster.

Too many penalties...

Penalty on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
Penalty on HST-D.Brown, Offensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
Penalty on HST-B.McCain, Defensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-A.Gardner, False Start
PENALTY on HST-G.Graham, Offensive Pass Interference
PENALTY on HST-B.Harris, Unnecessary Roughness
PENALTY on HST-D.Hunter, Defensive Offside
PENALTY on HST-A.Lemon, Clipping
PENALTY on HST-Z.Boren, Offensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-D.Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness
PENALTY on HST-R.Carmichael, Defensive Pass Interference

Tailgate
08-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Get more than you are gonna get at the end of the season which is nothing. At least attempt it. I don't think Cierre Wood will make it to the practice squad if they keep Tate and Karim.

Nobody is going to give up much of anything for him right now, his value is at bottom. Foster is coming off of 350 carries and Kubiak is going to rely heavily on Tate this year. Its preseason.

AngryNateFTW
08-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Can't believe DeAndre got a concussion on that play... damn.

I'm not seeing our two 3rd rounders or our 4th rounder on the opening day roster.

Too many penalties...

Penalty on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
Penalty on HST-D.Brown, Offensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-E.Pleasant, Illegal Block Above the Waist
Penalty on HST-B.McCain, Defensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-A.Gardner, False Start
PENALTY on HST-B.Harris, Unnecessary Roughness
PENALTY on HST-D.Hunter, Defensive Offside
PENALTY on HST-A.Lemon, Clipping
PENALTY on HST-Z.Boren, Offensive Holding
PENALTY on HST-D.Johnson, Unnecessary Roughness
PENALTY on HST-R.Carmichael, Defensive Pass Interference

The Unnecessary Roughness on Delano Johnson was a misunderstanding. Starling thought he got the INT of a tip and Delano just bulldozed the guy next to him as Starling ran by.

It kept the game going which shouldn't have happened but he wasn't out to hurt someone he was just trying to block for his teammate.

thunderkyss
08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't know why.... I know it's a serious situation.... but I can't stop laughing when I see our special teams out there.

The most promising event from the game......

Case Keenum sprinting 48 yards to celebrate a TD with LeStar Jean

It don't make sense, I know. Tj will be our #2 QB on the 2013 depth chart, but Case is the future. No doubt in my mind.

Scooter
08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
the good
yates and keenum. both look like they could start for several teams, and one of them is going to be worth some picks in a trade.

quessenberry and brooks were solid. brooks is really looking like a key piece. he still has moments of not getting off the ball, but otherwise is an anchor.

tightends are stacked. daniels, graham and griffin are clones and perfect for what we do.

the bad
i thought our backs were pretty lackluster last night. tate, kerim and johnson produced a whopping 28 yards in the first half, and the only real highlight was the 3 runs by karim.

our linebackers not named cushing scare me. reed's ok, mays is hit or miss, braman is all hustle for special teams, but outside of them i dont see a lot of promise for this season. the future sure, but someone's going to have to make quite a jump in these next two games for me to be comfortable with our backups. (i didnt get to see williams and mercilus didnt suit up so maybe there's a bright spot)

special teams. i wonder how many games this will cost us.

the ugly
derrick newton. hopefully we're just resting ryan harris, because newton sucks.

bckey
08-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Nobody is going to give up much of anything for him right now, his value is at bottom. Foster is coming off of 350 carries and Kubiak is going to rely heavily on Tate this year. Its preseason.

You are not telling me anything I don't already know other than relying heavily on Tate which I will have to see to believe. I still say shop him and see.

Playoffs
08-18-2013, 12:00 PM
We're winning the preseason! :trophy:
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Through 2 Preseason games, the Texans have the NFL's top passing attack, number 2 overall offense and number 4 defense. #keepitgoing

And now, for something completely different...
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB13499--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

...and the next thing you know POOF!, I disappear. Gone. You know that, right?

silvrhand
08-18-2013, 12:02 PM
First contact in a while. Cushing was getting knocked around too. They both need to get their feet under them.

He got pancaked on his first play back lol, welcome back Cushing.

ThaJokaa
08-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Jjo struggled.

Keenum just gives you more options on what to do on the field, he's mobile and when he goes thru his reads and progression is amazing, doesn't panic at all and just steps into the pocket to make the throws. He impressed me a lot more last night, I would love to see how he would do with the 1st team offense as well. Only thing that worries me is his height since I'm always seeing him jumping at times to make throws, and part of me wondered if he was taller would the ball that had gotten batted down at the line had a chance to hit the WR. We can't be having to many of those going on. One last thing, that 4th and 2 TD pass, that took balls to just lob it into the end zone! Idk if that what Kubes told him to do, or he just saw him open an said screw the 1st down, I'm going for the TD.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local Houston TV?

Playoffs
08-18-2013, 12:17 PM
somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local houston tv?
abc13 ktrk

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Somebody reminds me what channel was the game on last night on local Houston TV?

Why I asked?

I got a torrent of the game from the Miami feed and it says CBS Miami.
It was in HD, and the video quality is superb.

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:19 PM
abc13 ktrk

ABC sucks, LOL!

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Keenum just gives you more options on what to do on the field, he's mobile and when he goes thru his reads and progression is amazing, doesn't panic at all and just steps into the pocket to make the throws. He impressed me a lot more last night, I would love to see how he would do with the 1st team offense as well. Only thing that worries me is his height since I'm always seeing him jumping at times to make throws, and part of me wondered if he was taller would the ball that had gotten batted down at the line had a chance to hit the WR. We can't be having to many of those going on. One last thing, that 4th and 2 TD pass, that took balls to just lob it into the end zone! Idk if that what Kubes told him to do, or he just saw him open an said screw the 1st down, I'm going for the TD.

I thought we put to sleep the "short" jokes. Did everyone miss the batted down passes by Yates (6'4") LAST game and THIS game..............maybe it would become more appropriate to start with the "tall" jokes.:mcnugget:

76Texan
08-18-2013, 12:35 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/76Texan/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg.html)

Lucky
08-18-2013, 12:58 PM

We haven't seen much from them. But, it's difficult for an organization to give up on a player this early. I see IR thri real or phantom injuries in their future.

Too many penalties...

I agree with your point. But this penalty was completely bogus.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2013, 01:13 PM

He got pancaked on his first play back lol, welcome back Cushing.

I posted during the game how Cushing was being pushed around. He did not show good lateral movement, let alone explosiveness. He has apparently lost weight to theoretically facilitate his rehab. But this also effects all facets of play, especially with an ILB whose bulk is important and was a hallmark of Cushing's build when he was at his peak. This is his second knee surgery, remember the patella tendon repair and knee arthroscopy of 2011 (on his other knee). People have posted on his miraculous recovery following his ACL, pointing to such superhuman feats like sitting box seat jumps, pulling tires, jumping off tall buildings in a single bound........... This tells us very little about performance with live bullets and when fast-moving locomotives are the targets that need to be taken care of. I cautioned people to not expect the isolated case of supernatural recovery seen in Peterson as a gauge of what to expect from Cushing. Yes, no doubt newer approaches to ACL (and other injury) rehab techniques (not necessarily surgical techniques) have accounted for improved and somewhat shortened return to play times. But, healing of tissue still basically has finite minimum times to fully heal. And after that, the player must take advantage of return to play time to continue to build the strength to their unique skills before they have any real time where they can anywhere close to approach their pre-injury level of play...........under the most ideal circumstances, typically only to 80%. If Cushing is destined to return to a semblance of what Cushing we would recognize, it is unlikely to occur prior to 1 year to 2 years post his October 25, 2012 surgery . Anything before that must be considered "gravy." Anything after that, it's "What you see is what you get." Whatever Cushing CAN regain, what we DO know is that he will leave no stone unturned making every effort towards that goal.

burro
08-18-2013, 04:03 PM
I've just finished watching most of the replay.

Positives:
1) Matt Schaub looked the worst of all the QBs we put on the field, that is great news. In terms of the back-up competition- I still think Yates has the edge, but Keenum looked solid with the 2s. I wouldn't mind if he won out after the last two games.

2) Hopkins' injury wasn't serious and he showed once again that he can play ball. Between Hopkins and the progression of Jean, I feel pretty good about where we are at WR. I'm hoping that there is room for Lemon on the roster, he worked the sideline very well and created separation with the coverage.

3) Ed who? DJ Swearinger looks fantastic and has everything that you'd want in a safety; confidence and a sense for the ball. If Ed Reed isn't ready, then oh well.

4) Seeing Cushing on the field is always awesome, but....

Negatives:

1) TACKLING.... Did I really see Ryan effing Tannehill shake a tackle from Brian Cushing in the pocket? Not acceptable. In general, our tackling has been terrible this preseason...probably because we don't practice it.

2) Special Teams are still meh at best. I'm fairly convinced that Marciano has out of context pictures of Kubiak and Rick Smith with their shirts off. Bullock was a bright spot, KOs (seperate from KO coverage) should be fine.

IDEXAN
08-18-2013, 10:40 PM
I posted during the game how Cushing was being pushed around. He did not show good lateral movement, let alone explosiveness. He has apparently lost weight to theoretically facilitate his rehab. But this also effects all facets of play, especially with an ILB whose bulk is important and was a hallmark of Cushing's build when he was at his peak. This is his second knee surgery, remember the patella tendon repair and knee arthroscopy of 2011 (on his other knee). People have posted on his miraculous recovery following his ACL, pointing to such superhuman feats like sitting box seat jumps, pulling tires, jumping off tall buildings in a single bound........... This tells us very little about performance with live bullets and when fast-moving locomotives are the targets that need to be taken care of. I cautioned people to not expect the isolated case of supernatural recovery seen in Peterson as a gauge of what to expect from Cushing. Yes, no doubt newer approaches to ACL (and other injury) rehab techniques (not necessarily surgical techniques) have accounted for improved and somewhat shortened return to play times. But, healing of tissue still basically has finite minimum times to fully heal. And after that, the player must take advantage of return to play time to continue to build the strength to their unique skills before they have any real time where they can anywhere close to approach their pre-injury level of play...........under the most ideal circumstances, typically only to 80%. If Cushing is destined to return to a semblance of what Cushing we would recognize, it is unlikely to occur prior to 1 year to 2 years post his October 25, 2012 surgery . Anything before that must be considered "gravy." Anything after that, it's "What you see is what you get." Whatever Cushing CAN regain, what we DO know is that he will leave no stone unturned making every effort towards that goal.
Watched the rebroadcast of the game today on NFLNet and frankly I've got to agree with your assessment here, i.e., generally speaking Cushing looked to be a shell of his former self. He did make that one play behind the los, otherwise did not see the same guy I remember pre-Oct, '12. Guess we will all just have to be patient and hope for the best.

badboy
08-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Lestar Jean 8 for 109 yds two TDs

Yates priming the pump so we can trade him next off season (or 2013 if good offer)

Keenum keeps getting better & could make me rethink going for Fales 2014 draft.

Q doing exactly what I thought at LG. Keep Brooks at RG & Jones to back up center. I see lots of new cap space in next two years that could go to our FAs.

Jefferson may force a 2012 vet out of a job.

Bouye may replace Carmichael & I'm stunned by Roc's poor play.

NT looking sweeter than I ever imagined. Chris Jones over Browner and Hunter DT

Swearinger replaces Reed 2014 & may have to draft S high.

Graham looks like he could replace OD in '14 saving almost $3m

Concerns: Hopkins strike one & should remind all players one play away from end/career
Newton rusty or pushing return too son?

ILB: Mays needs to get better quickly. Reminds me of James (learning the system). Cush still worries me. Love the player but he has to produce this last contract year. Hope he is not Barwin redux. Gardner has not made the improvement I had hoped for.

Hopes: Posey is not rushed back.
An ILB is cut by final P game or Mike Mohamed is better than I thought.

Special note: Karim's Northwestern Pro Day.
He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds, which if not adjusted due to surface would have tied him for second among tailbacks at the Scouting Combine.

His vertical leap of 43 inches would have been first among all tailbacks, his broad jump of ten feet, three inches would have placed third, his 20-yard shuttle time of 4.05 seconds would have topped all tailbacks, his 6.67-second mark in the three-cone drill also would have been first, and his 19 reps in the 225-pound bench press would have been sixth among all tailbacks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/deji-karim-has-strong-pro-day-supposedly/

Brisco_County
08-19-2013, 01:06 AM
I've just finished watching most of the replay.

Positives:
1) Matt Schaub looked the worst of all the QBs we put on the field, that is great news. In terms of the back-up competition- I still think Yates has the edge, but Keenum looked solid with the 2s. I wouldn't mind if he won out after the last two games.

2) Hopkins' injury wasn't serious and he showed once again that he can play ball. Between Hopkins and the progression of Jean, I feel pretty good about where we are at WR. I'm hoping that there is room for Lemon on the roster, he worked the sideline very well and created separation with the coverage.

3) Ed who? DJ Swearinger looks fantastic and has everything that you'd want in a safety; confidence and a sense for the ball. If Ed Reed isn't ready, then oh well.

4) Seeing Cushing on the field is always awesome, but....

Negatives:

1) TACKLING.... Did I really see Ryan effing Tannehill shake a tackle from Brian Cushing in the pocket? Not acceptable. In general, our tackling has been terrible this preseason...probably because we don't practice it.

2) Special Teams are still meh at best. I'm fairly convinced that Marciano has out of context pictures of Kubiak and Rick Smith with their shirts off. Bullock was a bright spot, KOs (seperate from KO coverage) should be fine.

I have to disagree with a few things.

Schaub wasn't bad. And if he was, that wouldn't be a good thing. With two more years of guaranteed money, he's our unconditional starter.

Concussions are always serious. Especially one that causes a guy to stumble over his own feet.

When Cushing closed in on Tannehill, he illegally grabbed Tannehill's helmet. Cushing knew he had to release, or cost the team a penalty. It wasn't really a whiff.

76Texan
08-19-2013, 01:30 AM

Schaub wasn't bad. And if he was, that wouldn't be a good thing. With two more years of guaranteed money, he's our unconditional starter.

All the guaranteed money for Schaub will be paid out and done with this year.

If the Texans decide to part way with him, they will have to incur $11.5M in dead money in 2014; however, they won't have to pay him the 2014 salary (and roster bonus) of $11M.
The net cap hit is 500K.

If he does bad, you can just let him go, or you can make him a backup QB in 2014.
If he does good, you can keep him through 2014 and take it from there.

Brisco_County
08-19-2013, 02:01 AM
All the guaranteed money for Schaub will be paid out and done with this year.

If the Texans decide to part way with him, they will have to incur $11.5M in dead money in 2014; however, they won't have to pay him the 2014 salary (and roster bonus) of $11M.
The net cap hit is 500K.

If he does bad, you can just let him go, or you can make him a backup QB in 2014.
If he does good, you can keep him through 2014 and take it from there.

If you're right, I like that situation a lot more.

amazing80
08-19-2013, 07:27 AM
Mike Mohamed looks great. Would like to see him play next to Cushing a few series.

Why isn't Ray Graham getting more looks?

deucetx
08-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Positives:

QB Play: Mainly meaning Keenum and Yates. Schaub did alright but wasn't fond of that slow start that we sometimes saw last year. But it's preseason and he'll be fine. He'll get more snaps next game. Yates and Keenum though were both impressive and it's good to see these young guys developing.

WR's: They picked it up this game after silly drops the last game. Jean stepped up majorly to help push himself away from that roster bubble. Still interesting to see what will happen if Posey doesn't go on the PUP. Guessing we'll see a couple of practice squad additions since Bonner hasn't been able to see the field.

Cush: Good to see him back but really good to see him moving so fluently out there and getting after it. The energy is something everyone on that defense can feed off of.

Swearinger: Looked good out there in coverage and making hits which means he rebounded from so so work in this area last game. Like to see guys who can put it behind them and keep fighting.

Brandon Harris: The guy was solid in coverage and I honestly see him developing at this point unlike someone I reference below. He should be in a fight for the nickle with McCain who didn't look very good in coverage this game. Nice to have both though and have the options. Glad to see the kid finally taking a step forward unlike someone...

Negatives:

OL: Once again things look shaky. Two games in a row now Ben Jones is looking putrid at this point at LG. His run blocking was not up to par. I would say this is the second game Ques outplayed him though not by too much this game. Newton's footwork had him flat footed and he made me wonder if he is not fully recovered from the injury. He may need some time to get his legs under him but if he's on the field it's irrelevant. You have to produce if you play. Hopefully preseason time helps.

Pass Rush(Starters): Can someone other than Watt or Smith rush the QB? So far it looks like the third best rusher is Cushing who we need in coverage at times or our NT who are generally off the field in nickle/sub formations. Where are the OLB's? Really hope Mercilus has something or we may have to look at Jefferson/Braman or something to get a pass rush out there. If any wondered why the push to re-sign Smith this is why. He is the second best rusher easily at this point.

ILB(not named Cushing): There is nothing spectacular in this group for now. These guys are medicore at best and that may be generous. We need to build shrines, sacrifice chickens or something to make sure Cush doesn't get hurt because if he does...yikes.

Roc: After a solid camp he has had two bad games in a row. He looks too hesitant and you can't spare a split second out at corner if your name isn't Deion Sanders. At this point I am seeing him as a roster cut because despite great camp reports he fades away when the lights come on. He better do something fast.

eriadoc
08-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Despite all the Case Keenum attention, and being a UH homer myself, Quessenberry is the guy I am most excited about this preseason. I think that guy has the ability to become the second best OL on the team at some point in the future. The OL has looked ragged so far, but really, that's because they're putting Ben Jones and Derek Newton out there. Both of them do fine for a while, but when they fail, they fail BIG. Newton getting turned around the other night was just embarrassing. He had his back to the defender. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, if Newton at that level of experience was the best succession plan the Texans had for the RT position, they failed.

Keenum made a couple throws that ought to shut up some of the ignorant crowd, but it won't, because they are who they are. He's looking comfortable running the offense, and as mentioned many times before, he doesn't rattle easily. I do love the way Yates responded, though. If the rest of the preseason continues like this, there will be three QBs on the 53-man.

Willie Jefferson just shows too much natural talent to let go, doesn't he? I mean, the guy is raw as heck, but he just keeps getting in the backfield. Even if he is a liability in the run game for now, they have to find a way to get him on the field as a situational pass rusher.

I'm less worried about Jared Crick now, and the inside line in general.

Hated it then, hate it now - should have spent the money on Glover Quin instead of Ed Reed. Glad they drafted DJ Swearinger, but he's still a rookie. Would much rather have Manning and Quin with DJS as first depth than speculating about Keo or Pleasant (not that I don't like Pleasant).

burro
08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Concussions are always serious. Especially one that causes a guy to stumble over his own feet.

When Cushing closed in on Tannehill, he illegally grabbed Tannehill's helmet. Cushing knew he had to release, or cost the team a penalty. It wasn't really a whiff.

1) I didn't mean that to be a jab at Schaub as much as I meant for it to be a compliment to TJ/CK. Relative to what is expected of each of them, Schaub was out of sorts and both TJ and CK looked great. In no way do I want TJ/CK starting over Schaub, just to be clear (even though 76Texan makes a good point about the cap money).

2) Considering that a fall like that could have seriously injured his neck or shoulder, I would say that he (and the team) got very lucky.

3) I didn't catch that, I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you. Regardless, the tackling in general has been poor and needs work.

Brisco_County
08-19-2013, 10:13 PM
3) I didn't catch that, I'll have to rewatch it and get back to you. Regardless, the tackling in general has been poor and needs work.

I'll be worried if it still looks bad by the last pre-season game.

Pass Rush(Starters): Can someone other than Watt or Smith rush the QB? So far it looks like the third best rusher is Cushing who we need in coverage at times or our NT who are generally off the field in nickle/sub formations. Where are the OLB's? Really hope Mercilus has something or we may have to look at Jefferson/Braman or something to get a pass rush out there. If any wondered why the push to re-sign Smith this is why. He is the second best rusher easily at this point.

Smith plays with a little more intensity in the pre-season than his peers. Remember last pre-season, he looked like he had elevated his pass rush game and mauled Drew Brees a couple of times, but regular season stats didn't reflect that much of an improvement. It'd be nice if I were wrong this year though.

thunderkyss
08-20-2013, 07:09 AM
Smith plays with a little more intensity in the pre-season than his peers. Remember last pre-season, he looked like he had elevated his pass rush game and mauled Drew Brees a couple of times, but regular season stats didn't reflect that much of an improvement. It'd be nice if I were wrong this year though.

Smith has had career years two years running. Unlike Watt Antonio plays a true interior pass rush position, consistently lined up as the 3 tech, inside the tackle, like a 4-3 DT.

Watt lines up primarily as a 4-3 DE, outside the tackle.

6 to 7 sacks is very good for a DT & like 1000 yards for a running back or 4000 yards for a QB, it is a respectable stat for an interior pass rusher, I'm pressive in back to back years.

If Smith has a third 6+ sack season in 2013 it would probably make him the most dominant inside pass rusher over that time span next to Jj Watt (since Jj does play on occasion from the inside).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

deucetx
08-20-2013, 08:10 AM

I'd have to disagree with this. PFF alone has Smith ranked the 6th best 3-4 DE last year right under Justin Smith and the second pass rushing 3-4 defensive end under the obvious. He was second amongst that group in QB hurries as well. So he was getting a pass rush rather steady for where he is aligned in the defensive formation (as TK alluded to). He just didn't finish enough. None the less after Watt there was only Antonio by a generous margin generating a pass rush for us.

DocBar
08-20-2013, 10:22 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/76Texan/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg.html)My best friend in this world is a huuuuuge sAints fan and he keeps busting my balls on stats. I keep busting his on history, wins/losses (especially last year) and the history of the sAints. He's 63, so he's been there for ALL of that history. History is about the only thing on my side right now. It's rough.

BullBlitz
08-20-2013, 11:28 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd384/76Texan/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/76Texan/media/vlcsnap-2013-08-18-11h21m23s10_zps2c8f3f81.jpg.html)

So....positive or negative?

DocBar
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM
So....positive or negative?Absolutely.