PDA

View Full Version : Watt lobbying to play Offense

JCTexan
08-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Are the Houston Texans preparing to add a hulking chess piece to the offense?

Defensive end J.J. Watt is badgering coach Gary Kubiak for the chance to line up on the opposite side of the ball.

"I've been lobbying since Day 1," Watt said Tuesday, per the Houston Chronicle. "It hasn't worked yet, so I don't think it's going to work anytime soon, but it's (Kubiak's) team."

Watt spoke of playing in a jumbo "Wisconsin" package alongside tight ends (and former Badgers) Owen Daniels and Garrett Graham. But that personnel grouping remains a myth for now, according to their coach.

More at the link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000229759/article/jj-watt-wants-to-play-offense-for-houston-texans)

Texn4life
08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm on the fence about this. On one hand I think he could be effective in Goal line packages, but with his elbow injury I don't know if I'd tempt fate.

michaelm
08-14-2013, 11:30 AM
I don't think the reward would be worth the risk. Stick to killin' QBs JJ!

HJam72
08-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Honestly, I think this could be very effective inside the 5.

I'm also getting deja-vu, & I don't think this is the first time we've talked about it. Must've been a thread this time last year.

Playoffs
08-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Not interested in having Watt's knees the target of some DBs spear-tackle. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif~original

badboy
08-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I started to post this yesterday but was concerned I'd get booed out of town for being the messenger. I vote no way! The article indicates Watt joking and so was Kubiak's response

HJam72
08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Not interested in having Watt's knees the target of some DBs spear-tackle. http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc366/PlagueEleven/Smileys/no.gif~original

I hear ya, but what if it really IS effective and we need 5 yards to win THE SUPERBOWL?....or to get there...

speedfreek
08-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Honestly, if we need JJ to line up as a TE then we have truly selected our actual TE's poorly.

Putting JJ in as a decoy would probably be effective once or twice only.

TJ

HOU-TEX
08-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Ain't happening.

JCTexan
08-14-2013, 11:49 AM
I started to post this yesterday but was concerned I'd get booed out of town for being the messenger. I vote no way! The article indicates Watt joking and so was Kubiak's response

I'm not lobbying for Watt to play offense at all. I just saw this and I thought it was worth the discussion.

eriadoc
08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Chuck Bednarik, on playing both ways:

“For what my generation did and went through and so forth, and what these glamor boys earn for what little they play, it’s a joke. Is it football? Are you guys football players? Is that what they call football? It’s not iron-man football, where you stay on the field for 60 minutes. Everybody! We were iron men. Not a bunch of pussyfoots.”

For anyone who has seen the movie, I always read this quote in Wally's voice from Necessary Roughness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbN6Vnr1g8) LOL.

noxiousdog
08-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Seems to me this would be fixing a problem we didn't have. Watt would likely only be used inside the 5.

On all drives where we were inside the 5, they were converted into touchdowns as follows:
Team Rate
MIA 1/2
JAX 2/2
DEN 1/1
TEN 1/1
NYJ 0/1 (3rd goal from the 5)
GB 2/2
BAL 3/3
BUF 2/2
CHI 1/2 (failure was 3rd goal from the 5)
JAX 3/3
DET 1/1
TEN 2/2
NE 2/2
IND 1/1
MIN 0/1
IND 0/0

CIN 1/2 (3rd and 3 from the 4)
NE 2/2 (one was a 4th down conversion)

Overall 30 trips inside the 5 with 26 touchdowns. I don't know what the overall conversion rate is, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

caveat: Assuming I counted right ;)

HJam72
08-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Seems to me this would be fixing a problem we didn't have. Watt would likely only be used inside the 5.

On all drives where we were inside the 5, they were converted into touchdowns as follows:
Team Rate
MIA 1/2
JAX 2/2
DEN 1/1
TEN 1/1
NYJ 0/1 (3rd goal from the 5)
GB 2/2
BAL 3/3
BUF 2/2
CHI 1/2 (failure was 3rd goal from the 5)
JAX 3/3
DET 1/1
TEN 2/2
NE 2/2
IND 1/1
MIN 0/1
IND 0/0

CIN 1/2 (3rd and 3 from the 4)
NE 2/2 (one was a 4th down conversion)

Overall 30 trips inside the 5 with 26 touchdowns. I don't know what the overall conversion rate is, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

caveat: Assuming I counted right ;)

Well, assuming those numbers a right, and I don't really doubt it, you've got a very good point.

PS-smartypants.

ThaJokaa
08-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Get inside the 5, call a 2 FB package, have Greg Jones go in and block, then hand it off to JJ and let him punch it through!!

HJam72
08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Obviously, JJ can also catch & block. JJ has quicker, faster (paler) Refrigerator Perry written all over him.

Vinnie
08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
LZ was talking about this subject this morning. I really don't see the need for it, but hey, I can clearly see it working as well. I wouldn't rule it out completely, especially if for some reason we're struggling on the goal line but, I don't see that happening either (knocks on wood).

HJam72
08-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Honestly, I see this as something to pull out in a playoff game against a very stingy D, not something to showcase every week.

Scooter
08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
it's not like it would be too unprecedented, watt played a little TE in college and star defenders get some time in goalline situations. haloti ngata is the first to come to mind. i dont think we'll see it, but the biggest thing adding watt to the offense does is create confusion. all of a sudden you have a "hey, he's not supposed to be there" problem on defense and it becomes a distraction ... is he the focus? a decoy? do we have to change cover assignments?

that being said, we have 3 capable tightends already on the roster and two receivers who are effective in the redzone. it would be fun, but completely unnecessary.

PapaL
08-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Reminds me of Gronk playing ST. Let's just not.

amazing80
08-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Ugh no thanks, too big a risk to our BEST DEFENDER.

ATXtexanfan
08-14-2013, 07:22 PM
nope, focus on D

ObsiWan
08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Wait... what happened to his whole
:swatter: Shut you DOWN!! :swatter:
thing...

Can't do that on offense.

Texans_Chick
08-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Hello. This is a joke.

Eric Winston lobbied to catch passes too.

I will say that I won't be surprised with another Watt INT.

ObsiWan
08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Hello. This is a joke.

well, of course...
In fact I thought someone said earlier in the thread that it's been a running joke between Watt and Kubiak since last season

BullNation4Life
08-15-2013, 10:26 AM
If Kubiak won't even let his fullbacks run the ball, no way in hell is he gonna let a defensive player play TE...

JCTexan
08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Hello. This is a joke.

Both Winston and Watt played a little TE in college, so that doesn't surprise me.

ASidd_1990
08-15-2013, 03:54 PM
JJ Watt at TE???

Discuss

:swatter:

ASidd_1990
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Hello??!!!??

Discuss

ASidd_1990
08-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Stop making these threads you newb!

LOL my bad!

Hahaha! It's all good!

Discuss

ASidd_1990
08-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Back to the topic, the thing is you don't want to risk injury.

LOL yeah I could see it as a concern, but if the coach is alright with it, let's try it out for one play and see if it works out.

Haha you are correct!

Preciate it!

Discuss

HOU-TEX
08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Been discussed here, Schizo. Look through the forum first before creating a new thread to talk to yourself

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101434

record
08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
I started this thread about it in Jan '12 in which I got few replies and ripped a bit.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89057

Here is what I wrote:

Work him into goal line packages. Dude is an athletic freak. He can lead block at FB, line up at TE, or go in motion. Maybe even give him the rock? Does anyone else see this?

No, just the guy who has freakazoid athletic ability and has shown he has great hands. Goal line packages only. With his ability to catch, height, and size he can definitely create a mismatch or help blocking. I don't really mean let him carry the ball as much as lead block as FB, additional TE, or line up as FB and go in motion to be an additional TE or get a DB on him then throw up the lob pass where only he can catch it with his height. Eventually to keep the opposing D honest, you will have to give #99 the rock from the FB position, but that isn't the main idea. The main idea is to have more power near the goal line and make the opposing D have more to game plan for. If JJ shows he can catch it down there, they will have to respect him. Of course you are going to see how it works in practice before you roll it out during a game.

Instead of telling me I am drunk or stupid, tell me why it won't work?

Vinnie
08-16-2013, 08:11 AM
This obviously is never going to happen, but if it does and he scores a TD, I hope he does the Namaste.

MidtownMikey
08-16-2013, 08:16 AM
I started this thread about it in Jan '12 in which I got few replies and ripped a bit.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89057

Here is what I wrote:

Work him into goal line packages. Dude is an athletic freak. He can lead block at FB, line up at TE, or go in motion. Maybe even give him the rock? Does anyone else see this?

No, just the guy who has freakazoid athletic ability and has shown he has great hands. Goal line packages only. With his ability to catch, height, and size he can definitely create a mismatch or help blocking. I don't really mean let him carry the ball as much as lead block as FB, additional TE, or line up as FB and go in motion to be an additional TE or get a DB on him then throw up the lob pass where only he can catch it with his height. Eventually to keep the opposing D honest, you will have to give #99 the rock from the FB position, but that isn't the main idea. The main idea is to have more power near the goal line and make the opposing D have more to game plan for. If JJ shows he can catch it down there, they will have to respect him. Of course you are going to see how it works in practice before you roll it out during a game.

Instead of telling me I am drunk or stupid, tell me why it won't work?

I don't think it couldn't work, but it is more about the risk/reward of benefit vs. the chance of injury.

We now finally have a replacement for Joel in the Red Zone that we didn't have last year, so I think Griffin can do most of what people would want to do with Watt without the risk of hurting your best player on defense if he tangles legs with a linebacker or gets tackled at the knees.

salinaspaul
08-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Honestly, I see this as something to pull out in a playoff game against a very stingy D, not something to showcase every week.

This obviously is never going to happen, but if it does and he scores a TD, I hope he does the Namaste.

If these two scenarios happened on the same play, it would be highlight of the year, and an instant classic - right up there with Dre's 4th & 10 TD photo!

This must needs be, if only once.