PDA

View Full Version : Vikings game review.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I am re-watching the game, and will be posting notes through-out.
If anybody has a question, please ask.
If you have a different opinion on certain play, or if you just like to add something, your comment is welcomed.

Didn't Mitchell get mostly pitted against the Vikings' rookie right guard?

On the second play of the game, Mitchell beat #65 Sullivan (the Vikings starting Center), forcing the starting RG #63 Fusco to help doubling-teaming him.
Even so, Mitchell had a finger on the ball, just enough to distract Simpson such that the receiver Simpson can only tip at the ball.

Initially, Keo was dropping back to play center-fielder.
He made a good read and reacted quickly to the throw and was able to take advantage of the tipped ball for the INT; good focus to stay with the bouncing ball on Keo's part.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Bullock's first kick-off had the distance and some hang time, but 63 Willie Jefferson wasn't proper in his lane assignment, allowing a big return by Cordarelle Patterson. This guy can be dangerous with the ball in his hand.
I hope the Texans take note and get prepared for him the next time.
The Texans had a chance to stop him around the 20, but couldn't.

Bullock's 48-yd FG was dead on.
His next kick-off went out of the end zone.

eriadoc
08-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Interested in your thoughts on Crick. He looked slow and unimpressive to me.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 10:47 AM
The Texans, surprisingly, started their first drive with two consecutive 4-wide sets (single back, no TE.)

Schaub completed a short pass to Jean for 8, and a dump-off to Tate for 6.

D. Brown lost the edge on one of the plays, but luckily, Schaub had gotten the ball off.

Rookie TE Griffin also lost the edge once, but Schaub also got the ball off soon enough to avoid any damage.

Ben Jones, at LG, got spun around and fell down on DJ's run, thus not able to get to his block. Brooks was hesitant and didn't get to any defender; DJ was limited to 2 yards.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 10:55 AM
As well as Keenum played, I believe it should be noted that the impact of Keenum's stats were significantly adversely affect with at least 4 drops right in the "bread basket" and at least 2 call backs due to penalties after a completion. Are my numbers wildly inaccurate? If so, could you correct my aberrant recollections.

BullNation4Life
08-10-2013, 11:16 AM
they are suppose to show the entire game tonight without interruption on CH 13 in the Houston area...

76Texan
08-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Sharpton with a strong shot stonewalling the FB behind the LOS; Mays was playing it safe and didn't attack the gap quickly around the double-team (veteran back-up Olsen and 4th-yr RG Kropog) on Mitchell; Gerhart gained 3.
Crick, Manning, and Mays were all in on the tackle.

Crick (at LDE in a 4-man front) had a strong push on the RT (right up to the QB) on the second play, but Matt Cassel was able to find an open man (the FB Felton) quickly for 7.

Mitchell made a stop for loss (-1) as the Vikings blocking assignment looked to be screwed up somehow.

Reed gained off the right edge, forcing Ponder to step up; Jamison with a good push up the middle, allowing Mitchell to get the sack with relentless effort. Crick was double-teamed.

Carmichael lost his man quickly, then slipped as the back up receiver Burton took the quick pass and turned it into a 56 yd gain before McCain can track him down.
There was a decent push up front, but not enough.
(Spencer Tilman got the name wrong; it was Carmichael that made the boo-boo, not McCain.)

Crick needs to sustain the double-team better on that 6-yd run by Gerhart.
Also, it was unfortunate that Reed slipped in between watching for the fake end around and the hand-off. He might have been able to chase from the side or from behind.

The Texans initially had good coverage, forcing Cassel to scramble for his life; however a late break down - I'm thinking Mays should have stayed back on the receiver switch instead of trying to step up on the QB- allowing the TE to get completely free for 10. Good job by Keo preventing the TD; Jackson also showed good awareness to back up the secondary.

Mitchell with a great swim move (he left the Center in the dirt, LOL) to stuff the runner 2 yards in the backfield.
Crick and Reed also were able to get off their man.

Good coverage on a five-man blitz forced Cassel to throw the ball away as Crick came around on a stunt to get into his grill.

No, eriadoc, so far, Crick doesn't look slow.

A five-man zone blitz forced Cassel to throw the ball away as Jefferson came in unblocked.

22-yd FG, good.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 11:38 AM
As well as Keenum played, I believe it should be noted that the impact of Keenum's stats were significantly adversely affect with at least 4 drops right in the "bread basket" and at least 2 call backs due to penalties after a completion. Are my numbers wildly inaccurate? If so, could you correct my aberrant recollections.

It might be late tonight or tomorrow before I can get to that as we'll be having a family get-together tonight at our house.
I'm sure my brother-in-laws would want to watch the game on TV.
And I'll be able to call the plays before hand, LOL!

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 11:51 AM
It might be late tonight or tomorrow before I can get to that as we'll be having a family get-together tonight at our house.
I'm sure my brother-in-laws would want to watch the game on TV.
And I'll be able to call the plays before hand, LOL!

Thanks in advance.:tiphat:

Wolf
08-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Nevermind. I must have read it wrong yesterday

12am (eastern) it comes on ....

Wolf
08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Due to the technical difficulties, ABC-13/KTRK will be rebroadcasting last night's game in its entirety to the Houston market at 7 p.m. CT.

Per Texans Facebook page

76Texan
08-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Yates in.

LT Harris, LG Jones, C White, RG Brooks, RT Newton
Hopkins and Martin at WRs
DJ at RB
Graham and Griffin at TEs

Vikings line up:

LDE #91 D'Aundre Reed (7th rd, 3rd yr, 3rd string),
LDT #95 Floyd (1st rd, 3rd string on current depth chart),
NT #90 Fred Evans (8th yr vet - second string),
RDE #92 George Johnson (UDFA, 4th yr, 3rd string),

SAM #51 Larry Dean (UDFA, 3rd yr, 3rd string)
MLB #57 Audie Cole (7th rd, 2nd yr, 2nd string)
WILL #58 Tyrone McKenzie (last pick in 3rd rd, 5th yr, 3rd string)

LCB #35 Marcus Sherels (UDFA, 4th yr, 4th string),
Safety #34 Andrew Sendejo (UDFA, 4th yr, PS player)
Safety #41 Mistral Raymond (6th rd, 3rd yr, 2nd string)
RCB #27 Brandon Burton (5th rd, 3rd yr, 3rd string)

For comparison, Case Keenum came in with:

LT Harris, LG #77 Quizz, C Jones, RG #67 White, RT #66 Gardner

Boren at FB and Wood at RB
Uzoma N and Jean at WR
Griffin at TE

LDE #94 lawrence jackson (1st rd, 6th yr, 19th career sack, a first rd that hasn't live up to his billing, signed as a FA in the off-season)
LDT #79 Everett Dawkins (7th rd rookie)
NT #62 Chase Baker (UDFA, 2nd yr, 3rd string)
RDE #92 George Johnson (UDFA, 4th yr, 3rd string) - already started playing since the first qtr against Yates

Same 3 LBs

Safety #36 Robert Blanton (5th rd, 2nd yr, 2nd string) came in for Mistral Raymond (6th rd, 3rd yr, 2nd string)
The other 3 DBs remained in the game.

Keenum started out with a couple of lesser guys on the line;
the Vikings countered with a couple of lesser guys on the line.

Basically, Keenum started out facing the same line-up Yates did,
but he had lesser weapons (at four positions).

We'll have to see how the Vikings (and the Texans and the Vikings rotate their players), but Keenum started out at a disadvantage as compared to Yates.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 03:19 PM
On the short dump off that Graham turned in to a 13 yd gain,
#28 DJ did a heck of a job picking up the blitzer.
Newton also threw a nice block downfield to spring Graham free
(and that was after he had done a good job staying with the double-team at the line.)
I like that quickness.

It's difficult to say which of the three interior guys whiffed on the 1yd loss by DJ,
but 60, 67, and 79 gave DJ no chance.

Putting a bit too much of mustard on the throw sometimes doesn't help the receiver as Martin couldn't handle the high throw by Yates.
If Yates had thrown the ball a hair sooner with a hair quicker of a release, he wouldn't have to throw a rope.
This is a part of Keenum's strength that people don't realize.
He makes his receivers better players.
When you need to zip the ball in there, you do it;
but when you don't have to, make it easier for your receiver.

I'm not gonna get on Yates'case too much on the next high throw to Graham; he had two guys in his face.
White whiffed and the other one came free on a blitz.
But he could have put a bit of a touch on the ball and lead his man a bit toward the side line.
Again, this can make him a more effective QB.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Do not expect the play-by-play guy to get the names of the players correctly.
I'm not blaming him; there are just too many new players out there, and there were some number changes.

Nice punt by Shapiro.
Good job by a bunch of special team players getting downfield;
there were about 5 of them to make life hard for the returner:

31 (even though he missed the tackle, he squeezed the play inside), 48, 36, 34, 47 (Tuggles), 35.

Good job by Buoye #34, beating two guys to support the play.

mexican_texan
08-13-2013, 09:53 AM
What did you think of Bouye?

76Texan
08-13-2013, 10:05 AM

I would say 3 drops for sure.

The last one to Maehl was right on the money, and he should caught it, but that's why he doesn't make the team.

I saw only one call back.

Basically, the only pass Keenum didn't complete was on a bootleg that the Vikings didn't buy.
Case played if safe and threw the ball away.

76Texan
08-13-2013, 10:08 AM
What did you think of Bouye?

I've been saying that Bouye can play, and it showed.

Gonna have to zero in on him for the details though.
Let just say that some CB's job isn't safe.

drs23
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
I've been saying that Bouye can play, and it showed.

Gonna have to zero in on him for the details though.
Let just say that some CB's job isn't safe.

If Roc don't tighten up pretty quickly I'd be looking at him to be gone.

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I would say 3 drops for sure.

The last one to Maehl was right on the money, and he should caught it, but that's why he doesn't make the team.

I saw only one call back.

Basically, the only pass Keenum didn't complete was on a bootleg that the Vikings didn't buy.

Thanks for taking the time to review that segment of plays. MSR coming your way.

thunderkyss
08-13-2013, 05:23 PM

Was that the one he threw across his body (running to his right) at LeStar's feet?

It would have been much better to throw it in the stands, he was well outside the pocket.

thunderkyss
08-13-2013, 05:25 PM
If Roc don't tighten up pretty quickly I'd be looking at him to be gone.

Isn't he fairly good on special teams? Usually one of the first players down there to keep the ball out of the endzone.

I'd cut him too, this is really a backwards swipe at another player.

ObsiWan
08-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers in the first qtr - BOTH @ MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

Apparently everyone is cool with that because I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

or too busy arguing Yates v. Keenum to remember that little fact...

...just asking...

EllisUnit
08-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers -at MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

Apparently everyone is cool with that because I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

...just asking...

Well we didnt have foster, O.D, AJ prob our 3 biggest threats outside of newly aquired Hopkins and Tate. So not to concerned.

DocBar
08-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Is it just me or am I the only one disappointed we got TWO turnovers in the first qtr - BOTH @ MIDFIELD - and only harvested 3 points from them both??

...just asking...I would've been disappointed if the Texans opened up their playbook to get TD's in the 1st preseason game. Too important to see what kind of grasp players have on the basic O.

thunderkyss
08-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Well.... now that you mentioned it.

No, I'm not too worried about it, at the same time I'm not "cool" with that. There were a lot of problems on offense that needs to be addressed. Not all of them related to Tj.

I was more upset with the way the Vikings scored. We gave them that one TD (the Swearinger missed tackle, that turned into a Pleasant missed tackle, that turned into a Roc Carmichael WTF am I supposed to do). Then the special teams penalty...

& while I'm happy for Keo, that "being in the right place at the right time" is not the same as "damn good defense" I'll take it, but Patterson was wide open.

Then the INT to Pleasant. Great job by the boys up front. A sane QB with time to work never would have tried that throw.

DocBar
08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Well.... now that you mentioned it.

No, I'm not too worried about it, at the same time I'm not "cool" with that. There were a lot of problems on offense that needs to be addressed. Not all of them related to Tj.

I was more upset with the way the Vikings scored. We gave them that one TD (the Swearinger missed tackle, that turned into a Pleasant missed tackle, that turned into a Roc Carmichael WTF am I supposed to do). Then the special teams penalty...

& while I'm happy for Keo, that "being in the right place at the right time" is not the same as "damn good defense" I'll take it, but Patterson was wide open.

Then the INT to Pleasant. Great job by the boys up front. A sane QB with time to work never would have tried that throw.Plain old vanilla is the order of the day for PS games. Get a little funky in game 3 just to see how the starters are grasping the advanced stuff, but other than that, just go vanilla. Add some whipped cream if you must, but hold off on the nuts, caramel and butterscotch til the real games begin.

76Texan
08-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Was that the one he threw across his body (running to his right) at LeStar's feet?

It would have been much better to throw it in the stands, he was well outside the pocket.

Case probably had thought of trying to make a play, but decided against it at the last moment and threw the ball to the ground rather than risking.

At least, that's why I think his thought progress was.

Do I remember correctly that at one point, you didn't like how Schaub threw the ball away too early?

76Texan
08-14-2013, 08:14 AM

Are you talking about two different plays here?

The pick by Keo was on J Simpson.

Shilo started in single deep safety before the Texans seem to settle in quarter coverage, there's no way Keo can get there any faster, IMO.
Mays was dropping from curl to flat; he can't see the receiver behind him, whether the guy was running a vertical route or an in route - maybe his drop needed to be a yard or two deeper, I don't know. But that's the only way I can think of that can prevent a 10-yd in route in that defensive scheme.

76Texan
08-14-2013, 08:51 AM
On first down, the Vikings wanted to go to the air.
Good job in coverage by 48 Mohamed, 47 Tuggle, and 61 B Collins,
gave the D linemen time to collapse the pocket,
forcing Cassel to scramble around.
Crick got around the double team at LDE, turning Cassel back in.
Too bad, he slipped at the last moment.
There was enough time for Jefferson who came from the right side to bat down the pass though.

They did it again on the second play, making it a difficult throw for Cassel to the side line,
where Carmichael pushed the receiver Patterson out of bound for an incompletion.

On 3rd and 11, the Texans decided to drop into a 3-deep 4-underneath zone.
With just 4 to rush, there was no pressure; Cassel was able to find a man in the middle of the zone for an easy completion.
Jamison almost got to the QB, but Cassel just got the ball off.
There was nothing the back seven can do here when the receiver understood the coverage and found the soft spot.
Carmichael needs to secure that tackle; but give him a little credit for getting off the outside deep zone to chase the play;
the read was good; the execution can be better.
I'm not sure I agreed with Harris here. Rather, I think it was just a play where the offensive call simply works well agaist this defensive call; that and Cassel not locking on a receiver.

Crick with good penetration and Mohamed with a strong collision against their FB in the backfield helped limited the run by Asiata to 3 yards.
Quick read by Swearinger coming down on the tackle.
This is his bread and butter in college and it shows.

Pleasant then jumped the route on the next play for an INT on a five-man zone blitz against seven blockers.
(He might have gotten away with a slight hold on the TE, but he let go very quickly and avoided the call.)
Hunter and Crick took on double-teams.
Jamison got around the edge, forcing the QB to step up.
Tuggle and Mohamed worked hard and fast on the stunt, with Mohamed finally broke free to coral the QB just as he released the ball.
Teamwork!

76Texan
08-14-2013, 08:52 AM
On first down, Yates' pass was batted back by a DT (good timing on the defender's part.)
I'd rather not put too much read into it, only noting why is it that some QB's passes are batted dowm more than others.

White with a good block on the NT.
Brooks sustained the UT for Newton's cut block that sprang DJ for 13.
Good job by DJ on the cut, making a guy missed.
Efficient block by KMart downfield.

Brooks was a bit slow on the get off, and was pushed by the DT toward the running lane.
It's tough for LT Harris to sustain the block.
Nowhere for DJ to go; he was stopped for no gain.
Jones and White can be a little stronger on the combo block.

Yates wasn't quite fluid on his progression and was sacked at the 4-sec mark.
He (probably) should have dumped the ball off to the RB some time after the 2-sec mark as his receivers were covered.

On third and 14, the Texans had a bubble screen set up on either side.
The Texans had 3 to block 2 on the left, which would have made it quite cheesey, with a possibility for a first down.
Yates probably needs a better presnap read, and/or perhaps a better post snap read.
Hopkins was able to gain only 2.

Punt.

thunderkyss
08-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Do I remember correctly that at one point, you didn't like how Schaub threw the ball away too early?

Yes, I've said that about Schaub. Haven't had the opportunity much lately, but I also hate it when he throws it away too late. I'm not saying it's a "big" deal or anything, but you're wondering what he was thinking, I'm sure Kubiak puckered up quite a bit on that one.

Actually, I don't know if he's shown the ability to make that throw consistently or put it in the dirt the way he did, it's probably nothing to worry about at all.

Are you talking about two different plays here?

The pick by Keo was on J Simpson.

Yeah, I have a hard enough time remembering our players.