PDA

View Full Version : Who Impressed , who didnt ?!

Corrosion
08-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Couple guy's impressed in this first dress rehearsal.

Earl Mitchell was very disruptive in the middle.

Cierre Wood reminded me of .... #23. One cut and get gone , took what defenses gave and never took big hits.

A.J. Bouye - Real solid in coverage. Didn't do anything outstanding , just didn't allow WR's a chance to catch the ball.

Hopkins - Man what a catch .... I thought that TD was an INT when it was thrown.

Last but not least - Case Keenum. I think he outplayed Yates by a significant margin .... has something neither Yates or Schaub have .... Escapability. They may be forced to keep three QB's on the roster this year.

Who didn't ?!

Gotta start with Joe Marciano's not so special teams .... FFS lane responsibility! That KO was 8 yards deep and the liquored up kicker had to save a TD. Eddie , you gotta give the returner an opportunity to catch the ball .... then splat him!

Dennis Johnson Just didn't show the same in game that he has in practice. Just unimpressive .... running and returning - Blocks well.

Lestar Jean .... Catch the ball with your hands , not your facemask!!.

Keshawn Martin How many drops did he have ?! Same thing that plagued him last season.

TJ Yates - Don't know if it was the field , his choice of cleats or just bad footwork ... but he looked like he was on rollerskates in the pocket. Held onto the ball too long on a couple occasions , took a sack. Also overthrew several balls. Hopkins turned a horrible throw into a TD.
Yep , there is a QB controversy .... for the backup spot.

aussie_texan
08-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Cierre Wood reminded me of .... #23. One cut and get gone , took what defenses gave and never took big hits.

A.J. Bouye - Real solid in coverage. Didn't do anything outstanding , just didn't allow WR's a chance to catch the ball.

Hopkins - Man what a catch .... I thought that TD was an INT when it was thrown.

Last but not least - Case Keenum. I think he outplayed Yates by a significant margin .... has something neither Yates or Schaub have .... Escapability. They may be forced to keep three QB's on the roster this year.

Who didn't ?!

Gotta start with Joe Marciano's not so special teams .... FFS lane responsibility! That KO was 8 yards deep and the liquored up kicker had to save a TD. Eddie , you gotta give the returner an opportunity to catch the ball .... then splat him!

Dennis Johnson Just didn't show the same in game that he has in practice. Just unimpressive .... running and returning - Blocks well.

Keshawn Martin How many drops did he have ?! Same thing that plagued him last season.

TJ Yates - Don't know if it was the field , his choice of cleats or just bad footwork ... but he looked like he was on rollerskates in the pocket. Held onto the ball too long on a couple occasions , took a sack. Also overthrew several balls. Hopkins turned a horrible throw into a TD.
Keenum certainly played better but i think people are being a bit harsh on TJ. his first and 2nd drives were bad but once he got into the flow of the game he looked solid.

aussie_texan
08-10-2013, 04:45 AM
Ben Jones was fairly poor today. would have to watch the game again to really make sure but from first look he didnt perform very well. am a little disappointed

Surreal McCoy
08-10-2013, 04:57 AM
Ben Jones was fairly poor today. would have to watch the game again to really make sure but from first look he didnt perform very well. am a little disappointed

He may have been, but I'm pretty sure I saw at least two pancakes from him.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Jefferson was good too.

Thorn
08-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Three things stood out for me in a positive way: Case Keenum, DeAndre Hopkins, and all those rookie undrafted RBs.

The only things I've got a real negative on is the special teams coverage and channel 13.

Noticeable meh's go to Swearinger and TJ.

One thing for sure, our bench strength is better than the Vikings. Rick Smith has been bringing in talent to this team.

Lucky
08-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Who didn't impress? Carmichael. This is his 3rd year and he looks like a rookie. Lestar Jean and Keshawn Martin continue to show why the Texans need a vet 3rd WR.

I was most impressed by the 2nd half o-line, opening holes and protecting the QB. I will have to watch without the technical difficulties to determine if someone stood out. Also, the Texans 2nd half pass rush shut down the Vikes passing game. Not sure if it was scheme, effort, or a combination.

Mostly, I was glad to watch some football. When I was allowed to. Fortunately, I'll only have to endure one more telecast by Amateur13 (at Dallas).

amazing80
08-10-2013, 07:16 AM
I hope Ray Graham gets more looks at RB, he is by far my favorite UDFA back we brought in.

Yates started off terribly and finished above average. He better improve next week or I could see Case surpassing him.

Hopkins is a baller. Martin looks much improved. Jean won't be a bad 3rd or 4th wr on the team, Meahl blew his chance with 2 td passes.

Swearinger better learn from his mistake. It shows how little of a mistake can hurt the team. GREAT learning chance there.

Bullock better keep working on his accuracy, that seems to be his knock. He has a strong leg, just inaccurate at times.

Marciano is still terrible.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 07:40 AM
HEY, JOE!..............

http://theantisocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/What-Speakers-Really-Do-The-Anti-Social-Media.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 08:07 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1747621/hopkins_medium.gif

Goodwrench3
08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Roc was terrible

2slik4u
08-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Who didn't ?!

No mention of Terrell McClain? I didn't get to watch the game but saw that he had 2.5 sacks.

Sup with this guy?

eriadoc
08-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Quessenberry impressed me.

Swearinger made a couple mistakes, but I actually feel OK about him. His mistake was mental, really. That's a quick correction. He has the athleticism and technique to play, I could see that.

Dennis Johnson kind of made me think of Keshawn Martin - really quick in short space, flashes athleticism that makes you sit up and notice, and then does a bunch of nothing with it. Cierre Wood has a much better understanding of the system and would be a better back overall.

Keenum did all the little things right. He was poised, he had control of the game, and he progressed through his reads. Would have liked to see him get at least one deep ball, but I'm sure we'll see it sooner or later.

Maehl and Jean should just stop. I'm over them. Martin's wearing on me as well. There are lots of things WRs have to do at the pro level, but the first one is the same one they've had to do since they were kids - catch the GD ball. I want to see more Alec Lemon for now.

Earl Mitchell and Brooks Reed both allayed some concerns last night.

Willie Jefferson could be a helluva situational rusher, even as raw as he is.

htownfan32
08-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Screw Lestar. I like Lemon over him, I saw him pluck the ball out of the air. I think Lemon is the new practice squad WR.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 09:22 AM
I was impressed with Earl Mitchell, Willie Jefferson, Hopkins, Wood, Karim, Ryan Griffin.....

I was totally disappointed with any body who lined up at ILB, Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant, Braman,

I didn't see this at all. Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.

As far as the TD throw by Yates.... he threw it to a spot, DeAndre was supposed to go get it. That's what that looks like.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Willie Jefferson could be a helluva situational rusher, even as raw as he is.

I was impressed with his zone coverage as well. Not great, you can tell he needs to work on it & get a feel for the routes, but I liked what I saw.

Yaky
08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
I was totally disappointed with any body who lined up at ILB, Roc Carmichael, Eddie Pleasant, Braman,

Mike Mohamad played very good.

disaacks3
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Positives:

Earl Mitchell - I've been damn hard on the guy for not beating out Cody, but he looked like Leon Lett in his prime tonight. Barring injury, we just got an UPgrade at NT.

Case Keenum - Bearing in mind that he was playing against the 3's or lower, he looked VERY good out there. He was about "making plays". Someone mentioned how Yates ran the offense the way it was designed. Kenum didn't and it showed how wonderful that can be occasionally.

Cierre Wood - Like Keenum, we're talking about action aginst the 3's, but he made the cuts that you're looking for. He was the best RB the Texans put on the field tonight.

DeAndre Hopkins - He still needs some polish, but the kid has got skills. I thought that TD pass had about a 10% chace of completion with the classic Schaub/Yates underthrow on it. Not sure about his blocking yet, but the word on his hands was no joke.

Mixed Bags:

A.J. Bouye - Made a fantastic play on ST, blew a few in coverage, but on average looked decent. Still rough on technique.

D.J. Swearinger - Got absolutely toasted once, but was scrappy the rest of the time. Let's hope he learns the system fast.

Insert new linemen here - The line play from folks with names other than Brown and Myers was spotty. They'd follow up a pancake with a fall-down worthy of Kareem Jackson as a rookie. No more sure of where these guys stand than before the game.

T.J. Yates - He started out colder than an ex-wife's heart. He looked entirely too tight when he came out. For those that want him to mimic Schaub? Congratulations! He looked like he was fitted for the same cement shoes. He got better as he went on and we know how good he CAN be, but it was rough to watch.

The BAD

Special Teams - There's not much coaching involved when it comes to your actual kickers, and they were the brightest spot. The coverage and return teams looked awful. Coach Joe may be a really nice guy, but let's face it - we sent two guys away who fared pretty well elsewhere. If this doesn't magically iprove by the opener, ST could cost us games.

Keyshawn Martin / Lestar Jean - Like the fickle girl you dated in high school. One moment they take your breath away, the next they break your heart. When your WR can't consistently catch a well-thrown ball, you have an issue.

Dishonorable Mentions

The broadcast - when I se errors I've never seen before, it's noteworthy. EPIC, world-class failure of a show. Bring in someone from a WAC conference show to explain it to these guys. A video shot where you missplell a player's name?

The broadcast team - From Tillman's incestuous NFL to his cohort's inability to get a name right, you'd have thought these guys were an April Fools joke. The joke is on us unfortunately.

eriadoc
08-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.

What game were you watching?

:smfh:

EllisUnit
08-10-2013, 10:23 AM
They better not put Keenum on the PS cause if he keeps playing like this then some team will scoop him up. He looked damn good out there to me.

cstyle42
08-10-2013, 10:47 AM
They better not put Keenum on the PS cause if he keeps playing like this then some team will scoop him up. He looked damn good out there to me.

I'm not a U of H football fan but I know a good, poised quarterback when I see one and Keenum is definitely that. He will be better than Schaub when it's all said and done. This guy is on pace to take over.

Thorn
08-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Keenum wouldn't last 2 seconds on the practice squad and Kubiak knows it. Maybe Keenum is a future starter in the NFL, maybe he isn't. But the LEAST he's going to do is be a damn fine backup QB, which every team in the NFL needs.

GuerillaBlack
08-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I was impressed with Earl Mitchell, Willie Jefferson, Hopkins, Wood, Karim, Ryan Griffin.....

I didn't see this at all. Case looked like an UDFA to me. He did not look like he had command of the offense, or that he was comfortable in the pocket going through his reads. It didn't look, to me, like he was running the offense the way it was supposed to be ran.

As far as the TD throw by Yates.... he threw it to a spot, DeAndre was supposed to go get it. That's what that looks like.

You serious brah? Case looked awesome out there. I know the feed was bad, but there is no way you did not see the poise and control of Case. Those nice touches on his passes, and those leading bullet throws.

TEXANRED
08-10-2013, 10:52 AM
Earl Mitchell surprised the hell out of me. Can you imagine if he kept that kind of play up while next to Smith and Watt? I just got chills.

Little disappointed with Swearinger going for the big hit instead of just a solid tackle.

Hopkins, other than the big catch was underwhelming. I didn't see any separation from defenders and he would break off his route 2 yards from the first down marker.

Case was OK. I still like Yates better though. Yates has a bigger arm, more athletic, and just has a fire about him when he plays. Case is a younger Schaub.

If the Texans did allow Carmichael onto the plane home I hope they charged him for his ticket.

Overall I was not all that impressed.

GuerillaBlack
08-10-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not a U of H football fan but I know a good, poised quarterback when I see one and Keenum is definitely that. He will be better than Schaub when it's all said and done. This guy is on pace to take over.

Agreed. Schaub is about to be Kape'd like Alex smith.

hookinreds
08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Positives:

Dishonorable Mentions

The broadcast - when I se errors I've never seen before, it's noteworthy. EPIC, world-class failure of a show. Bring in someone from a WAC conference show to explain it to these guys. A video shot where you missplell a player's name?

The broadcast team - From Tillman's incestuous NFL to his cohort's inability to get a name right, you'd have thought these guys were an April Fools joke. The joke is on us unfortunately.

Ok, so I am coaching my youngest son's football team, and last night was the last day of our "combine" before our draft on Sunday so I had to record the game. All I can say is I would have been pissed beyond belief had I been watching the game live and not been able to fast foward through all the video failures that were apparently on the feed, not ATT Uverse.

That was only topped by the consistent babbling by Tillman. He was worthless as a player and more unbearable in the booth. What a freaking tool. Itís incredible how you can get pumped up for the first preseason game only to remember that Apollo Creed is going to be doing the broadcast. This pretty boy canít even pay attention to what is going on during the game. On the Viking touchdown, heís watching the freaking replay and analyzing how McCain blew the coverage, and then how McCain did a good job of recovering to force the WR out of bounds. Something to the extent of ďnice recover, but you need to keep your feet to make the play in the first placeĒ. Hey DA, McCain was on the other side of the field, he did a hell of a job of picking up Carmichaels jock, putting it back on for him and then tracking down Carmichaels man. This kind of ineptness isnít something you are born with, itís a talent that has to developed over years and years of working at it. I swear to all thatís holy that Tillman has a mirror in his pocket that he pulls out to practice posing and taking selfies all game long.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 11:06 AM
You serious brah? Case looked awesome out there. I know the feed was bad, but there is no way you did not see the poise and control of Case. Those nice touches on his passes, and those leading bullet throws.

I can tell he has upside, & I can see why people are excited about his play. He looked good out there, I'm not saying he didn't.

But If he starts I think our play book will shrink a lot more than it would with Schaub or Yates. He still might outplay them though, he's got an xfactor that they don't.

But I think the xfactor needed to be the #2 QB here, is being able to run the offense the way the HC wants to run the offense. Yates has the edge in that department.

That's not a knock on Keenum, it's an observation. Russell Wilson started over Matt Flyn, because neither knew the play book & Wilson had an xfactor Flyn did not. Alex Smith started over Kaepernick because Smith had command of more of the play book than Kaepernick.

In real life, when the games matter & you throw those guys out there you can get Aaron Rodgers, or you can get Jon Kitna/Tony Romo & anywhere in between. You don't know which, until you throw them out there when the games matter, preseason means nothing... & odds lean heavily towards the Kitna/Romo side of the scale.

This isn't a pastime for Kubiak, he does this for a living. He's going to go with the odds.

BullNation4Life
08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Earl Mitchell surprised the hell out of me. Can you imagine if he kept that kind of play up while next to Smith and Watt? I just got chills.

Little disappointed with Swearinger going for the big hit instead of just a solid tackle.

Hopkins, other than the big catch was underwhelming. I didn't see any separation from defenders and he would break off his route 2 yards from the first down marker.

Case was OK. I still like Yates better though. Yates has a bigger arm, more athletic, and just has a fire about him when he plays. Case is a younger Schaub.

If the Texans did allow Carmichael onto the plane home I hope they charged him for his ticket.

Overall I was not all that impressed.

With Hopkins, you are no going to see a lot of separation from him because he is not that type of WR that can just out run a DB. He is gonna have to use precision route running and cuts in order to get separation and that will hopefully come with time...

Keenum a younger Schaub? That is pretty insulting. Keenum is far more athletic than Schaub has ever been. Did you not see Keenum moving around in the pocket and scrambling outside to make plays? When was the last time you ever saw Schuab do that? I think Keenum may even have a better arm that Schaub. A lot of Keenum's throws were frozen ropes.

hookinreds
08-10-2013, 11:18 AM
With Hopkins, you are no going to see a lot of separation from him because he is not that type of WR that can just out run a DB. He is gonna have to use precision route running and cuts in order to get separation and that will hopefully come with time...

Keenum a younger Schaub? That is pretty insulting. Keenum is far more athletic than Schaub has ever been. Did you not see Keenum moving around in the pocket and scrambling outside to make plays? When was the last time you ever saw Schuab do that? I think Keenum may even have a better arm that Schaub. A lot of Keenum's throws were frozen ropes.

...and his touch passes to the RBs out in the flat were out in front of the RB to catch in stride, not over their shoulder.

JCTexan
08-10-2013, 11:23 AM
The Good:

Earl Mitchell - If he plays like that next to Watt, this would be one scary D-line.

Cierre Wood - I didn't have a favorite RB to take the #3 coming in but Wood impressed me the most.

DeAndre Hopkins - Awesome TD catch over the DB and he had 3 other receptions to go with it.

Case Keenum - I'm not as impressed as others were. He had a lot of nice throws but he reminded me of Leinart with his dinks-n-dunks.

The Bad:

Dennis Johnson - He had one nice run, but overall he was stuffed behind the line too much.

Roc Carmichael - He got beat too much. The announcers destroyed Brice on one of them.

Lestar Jean - He had six catches, but he also had way too many drops.

Jeff Maehl - Just like Jean he had way too many drops. Unlike Jean, he had no catches.

Brandon420tx
08-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Alright, this Case Keenum love needs to calmed down a little. No way is Schaub going to be Kape'd like Alex Smith by Case Keenum this season.

Also those who are afraid he wouldn't make it to the practice squad you are over playing it a little. Unless Keenum starts looking like Russel Wilson out there he'd make the practice squad if the Texans did decide to cut him. Other teams will not take what they consider a project player with no experience in their offense and no understanding of their terminology to be the 2nd or 3rd string on their team. They'll keep their own guys barring a rash of injuries to the position.

That said I'd rather keep him on the roster, have him win the #2 spot, and cut Yates next year, then keep Yates' phone number handy.

Brandon420tx
08-10-2013, 11:35 AM
The Good:

Case Keenum - I'm not as impressed as others were. He had a lot of nice throws but he reminded me of Leinart with his dinks-n-dunks.

While this is true to an extent. Whenever Leinart dinks and dunked there was hardly any yards after the catch and the play ended right there. It seemed like those on the receiving end of Keenum's short passes were able to catch it smoothly and turn up field for a nice extra chunk. We even got a Borencopter out of one.

speedfreek
08-10-2013, 11:46 AM

If you're talking about length when you mention "bigger arm", then yes. But Keenum had a higher ball velocity at his combine than Yates did at his -- and that is one way they measure arm strength.

In fact, Keenums ball velocity was identical to Russel Wilson's, if I'm not mistaken.

TJ

JCTexan
08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
While this is true to an extent. Whenever Leinart dinks and dunked there was hardly any yards after the catch and the play ended right there. It seemed like those on the receiving end of Keenum's short passes were able to catch it smoothly and turn up field for a nice extra chunk. We even got a Borencopter out of one.

I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.

Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.

speedfreek
08-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Here's the actual ball velocity data, in case you wanted to see it:

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Weeden has a rocket, but I sure wouldn't trade for him. Takes more than just fast twitch fiber to be a winner at the QB position.

TJ

GuerillaBlack
08-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Alright, this Case Keenum love needs to calmed down a little. No way is Schaub going to be Kape'd like Alex Smith by Case Keenum this season.

Also those who are afraid he wouldn't make it to the practice squad you are over playing it a little. Unless Keenum starts looking like Russel Wilson out there he'd make the practice squad if the Texans did decide to cut him. Other teams will not take what they consider a project player with no experience in their offense and no understanding of their terminology to be the 2nd or 3rd string on their team. They'll keep their own guys barring a rash of injuries to the position.

That said I'd rather keep him on the roster, have him win the #2 spot, and cut Yates next year, then keep Yates' phone number handy.

There is a way. If Schaub gets injured, Case comes in to start since he won the backup roll, and then proceeds to ball like he is at UH. It can happen. Slim chance and he is most likely a backup all season, but you never know.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Weeden has a rocket, but I sure wouldn't trade for him. Takes more than just fast twitch fiber to be a winner at the QB position.

TJ

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Rep coming your way.

speedfreek
08-10-2013, 12:34 PM
What I find interesting is flacco's number.

I think people mistake Keenum's ability to put "touch" on his
passes for a weak arm.

I think he just throws more of a catchable ball than flamethrower
QB's who burn a hole through their receivers.

TJ

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Rep coming your way.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2013, 12:58 PM
No mention of Terrell McClain? I didn't get to watch the game but saw that he had 2.5 sacks.

Sup with this guy?

He was just abusing the backup Viking line. I thought they were going to have to call the police.

I wasn't sure about him. There have been good reports out of TC on him but... I wasn't sure. Now? Yeah. I think he's making a case for making the team.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
I definitely liked what I saw from Keenum. He looked nice & poised out there. I just saw too many dink-n-dunks to be overly excited.
Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.

Brisco_County
08-10-2013, 01:52 PM

TJ

Keep in mind that Keenum made those throws after pulling his hamstring the same day. He later confirmed that the injury did negatively affect his throwing drills.

Link (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2012/03/quick-notes-from-houstons-pro-day/)

paycheck71
08-10-2013, 02:06 PM
In real life, when the games matter & you throw those guys out there you can get Aaron Rodgers, or you can get Jon Kitna/Tony Romo & anywhere in between.

I'm pretty sure I'd be super happy if Keenum turned into a Tony Romo level QB.

CretorFrigg
08-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Keep in mind that Keenum made those throws after pulling his hamstring the same day. He later confirmed that the injury did negatively affect his throwing drills.

Link (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2012/03/quick-notes-from-houstons-pro-day/)

And Yates was a throwing arm for receivers. He had a dead arm by the time he had to throw for his combine.

SCOTTexans
08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Had to say Earl Mitchell was dominating .... he looked really good

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.

Well.... JaMarcus is working on a come back.

gg no re
08-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Both QB's (Yates & Case) were victims of drops. Jean had 2, Maehl had 2, Hopkins had 1 and people seem down on Martin; though I don't recall if he had any.

Did I miss the day that the WCO became a vertical passing offense? The short and intermediate routes are supposed to be the bread and butter with the deep throws icing on the cake. The QB hitting the receivers in stride is more important than being able to throw the ball 60 yds in the air while seated, ala JaMarcus Russell.

+1 to DocBar... if you've never seen Keenum run the spread offense at UH, that IS Keenum's game style. The big difference as stated is that he hits the guys in stride. And if you never saw Keenum's performance in the Ticket City Bowl... he can throw a deep ball, but unlike Matt Schaub, he hits the guy in stride.

Corrosion
08-10-2013, 02:35 PM

I haven't been on the Keenum bandwagon and Im no UH homer either .... No ,Schaubs job is not in danger either.

But if he continues to improve on yesterday's play over the final three dress rehersals - He may just take Yates job. At the very least , he's going to make the decision of keeping three QB's a very difficult one.

I think he looked like a quality NFL QB .... Its kinda amazing to me that he had to learn the footwork of playing under center over the last year as his footwork in the pocket seems to be one of his strengths.

Maybe this is a result of Yates play being a bit underwhelming .... his footwork was poor (or his choice of cleats was , one or the other).

76Texan
08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Ok, so I am coaching my youngest son's football team, and last night was the last day of our "combine" before our draft on Sunday so I had to record the game. All I can say is I would have been pissed beyond belief had I been watching the game live and not been able to fast foward through all the video failures that were apparently on the feed, not ATT Uverse.

That was only topped by the consistent babbling by Tillman. He was worthless as a player and more unbearable in the booth. What a freaking tool. Itís incredible how you can get pumped up for the first preseason game only to remember that Apollo Creed is going to be doing the broadcast. This pretty boy canít even pay attention to what is going on during the game. On the Viking touchdown, heís watching the freaking replay and analyzing how McCain blew the coverage, and then how McCain did a good job of recovering to force the WR out of bounds. Something to the extent of ďnice recover, but you need to keep your feet to make the play in the first placeĒ. Hey DA, McCain was on the other side of the field, he did a hell of a job of picking up Carmichaels jock, putting it back on for him and then tracking down Carmichaels man. This kind of ineptness isnít something you are born with, itís a talent that has to developed over years and years of working at it. I swear to all thatís holy that Tillman has a mirror in his pocket that he pulls out to practice posing and taking selfies all game long.
I don't hate Tillman, but I agreed that he's a bit lacking sometimes.

AngryNateFTW
08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm a K-Mart homer but here's why I give him a pass.

2 of his passes were thrown badly. (One was WAY too high and one was thrown nowhere near him...both thrown by Yates and they were both ugly) (This was on his first drive.)

The last throw (I forget by who, but I think Yates) and it was thrown into the dirt before he even got close to it.

Last year, Schaub would throw it on the money and Martin would drop it.

Jean was dropping the easy passes yesterday and that was disappointing.

AngryNateFTW
08-10-2013, 03:09 PM

Finally.

The passes thrown to him were nowhere near him. 1 too high, 1 not even close enough to get a hand on, and the last one was thrown in the dirt.

TexanSam
08-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Is there any way to watch the replay of this game online? I only got to watch the first half. I remember last season somebody was posting the games on a private YouTube channel. Not sure if that's still happening though.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Is there any way to watch the replay of this game online? I only got to watch the first half. I remember last season somebody was posting the games on a private YouTube channel. Not sure if that's still happening though.

On NFL.com, you can get the Preseason Pass for 19.99. From there, you can pull up whatever game you want and watch it (with some blackout restrictions.)

I'm not in Houston and I watched the game Live that way and did NOT get the service interruption people in Houston experienced. But if you're in Houston, I don't know if they've got some sort of blackout on it. I think the blackouts are only on nationally televised games so you SHOULD be able to see it (I can.)

Playoffs
08-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Initial impressions, from in between the "technical difficulties", and with no replay as I deleted the recording with so much dead air time.

Earl Mitchell looks good. Quick, determined. 3 plus plays.
Roc was disappointing. Lost technique, looked like he lost his footing some too.
Cody White looked awful. 3 minus plays, at least.
Bullock put at least one out of the back of the end zone and others at -6 and -7. Then the late low line drive ... wassup wit dat? Coach's call? I want to see the missed 54 yarder.
Jefferson was dead when his guy got his hands on him.
Keo showed a nose for the ball.
Swearinger played like a rookie.
Jean frustrates. One drop hit him square in the face mask. Embarassing.
Griffin excites me, despite the dumb penalties. Big TE with hands.
Byrne can play.
Quess looks pretty darn good. Liked him for us, feel lucky we got him so late.
McClain beat up some guys.
Dej Karim isn't out of the game yet.
Young RBs promising, need more data.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Well.... JaMarcus is working on a come back.:slapfight: You're incorrigible, TK. LOL

guichows6
08-10-2013, 03:52 PM

For those who missed the game or kept getting interrupted by tech difficulties, have no fear. Abc 13 is replaying the game tonight at 7 without the glitches. I heard this on 610

Corrosion
08-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Initial impressions, from in between the "technical difficulties", and with no replay as I deleted the recording with so much dead air time.

Earl Mitchell looks good. Quick, determined. 3 plus plays.
Roc was disappointing. Lost technique, looked like he lost his footing some too.
Cody White looked awful. 3 minus plays, at least.
Bullock put at least one out of the back of the end zone and others at -6 and -7. Then the late low line drive ... wassup wit dat? Coach's call? I want to see the missed 54 yarder.
Jefferson was dead when his guy got his hands on him.
Keo showed a nose for the ball.
Swearinger played like a rookie.
Jean frustrates. One drop hit him square in the face mask. Embarassing.
Griffin excites me, despite the dumb penalties. Big TE with hands.
Byrne can play.
Quess looks pretty darn good. Liked him for us, feel lucky we got him so late.
McClain beat up some guys.
Dej Karim isn't out of the game yet.
Young RBs promising, need more data.

Yeah Cody White looked bad .... I don't think Gardner helped him much , at least one of those minus plays was on him. I omitted the OL play from my evaluation for the most part. Just gets too technical.

The 3rd RB spot .... someone's gonna have to earn it. Karim isn't out of the game but I think Wood took the lead .... with Johnson taking a couple steps back.

The TE group looks to be very strong. Going to be interesting to see how many they put on the 53.

Jefferson did get some pressure (on one play) after the blocker had engaged him - forced him to hold. He's got to develop another move or two but he has definite potential.

Playoffs
08-10-2013, 04:21 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/08/20130809_TexansVikings_BTC_16-306x378.jpg

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
Kubiak: Deji Karim is the RB furthest ahead from a special teams standpoint, aside from Foster/Tate.

Kubiak: thinks Arian Foster is close to practicing. Has a process he needs to go through to be ready for San Diego.

Kubiak: a lot of good things, but a lot of things that have to get better from OLB Willie Jefferson.

Kubiak: Impressed with Terrell McClain. Team is looking for Earl Mitchell's backup and McClain was encouraging.

Kubiak: DeAndre Hopkins made a great play, but can see on tape some areas for improvement.

Kubiak: Keenum and Yates will play a great deal. Chance that Keenum is off bench 1st, but that will be decided later in week.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
"We need to get Bonner back on the field, he is a big piece of the puzzle." Kubiak #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"There’s a process he needs to go through to get ready for San Diego but we think he’s very close to starting that process" Kubiak on Foster

"They’ll continue to both play a great deal. It’s a very good battle going on. They both did a very good job last night." Kubiak on QBs

"I think we're close." Kubiak on Foster. Says he's not concerned.

Kubiak says Keenum has "swagger" this year. Said he's never seen a player smile as much as Keenum does during a game. #TexansTalk

Kubiak said he was impressed by McClain, Bouye, Quessneberry to name a few.

"It's just a very competitive situation right now." -- Kubiak on backup QB battle.

Kubiak said it looks like they came out of the game fine. Lechler had some trouble with plant foot before game, so they didn't let him go.
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Kubiak wasn't happy with third-and-long situations. Too many missed tackles and dropped passes early.

Kubiak praised RB Cierre Wood, undrafted free agent with 50 yards on 10 carries. "He took a big step foward."

Kubiak said Keenum has instincts he looks for in QB, what he does when plays break down, or what he does "off schedule."
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Kubiak: Tim Jamison's performance a "bright spot" coming off his Achilles injury.

Kubiak (on backup QBs): T.J. is having a "dang good camp" but we have a competitive situation right now which makes our team better.
Marc Vandermeer ‏@TexansVoice
Kubiak: discussion this week on whether Keenum will get into Miami game ahead of Yates.

keyser
08-10-2013, 05:06 PM
For those who missed the game or kept getting interrupted by tech difficulties, have no fear. Abc 13 is replaying the game tonight at 7 without the glitches. I heard this on 610

Too bad they won't be fixing the announcers...

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2013, 05:23 PM

And by that, you mean neutering them so they can't breed and further pollute the gene pool. Right?

:cow:

ObsiWan
08-10-2013, 05:37 PM

And by that, you mean neutering them so they can't breed and further pollute the gene pool. Right?

:cow:

Maybe they can be transferred to The View so as not to polute the football airwaves in any way, shape, form, or fashion.
:thinking:

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2013, 06:25 PM
+1 to DocBar... if you've never seen Keenum run the spread offense at UH, that IS Keenum's game style. The big difference as stated is that he hits the guys in stride. And if you never saw Keenum's performance in the Ticket City Bowl... he can throw a deep ball, but unlike Matt Schaub, he hits the guy in stride.

Video of Keenum's Ticket City Bowl TD pas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Qqc0z6tnE)s..........deep.....and in stride. Another one from the same game. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvvdKn7CWhg)

And if that isn't enough proof of his arm strength and accuracy, here the UofH Rice gam (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlMNrHct2I)e where he threw for 9 TDs.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Anybody remember Timmy Chang??

BullBlitz
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes. U of Hawaii.

michaelm
08-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Replay on NFLN tonight at 11:00, if you get that channel.

Speedy
08-10-2013, 07:18 PM

I do, and who cares? For every name you come up that doesn't make it I can come up with one that does. Case Keenum is not Timmy Chang, Case Keenum is not Drew Brees. I don't have a problem with people who think Case won't make it. I have a problem with some of the reasons why they think that, like saying he doesn't have an arm. Anyone who says he lacks arm strength has never seen the man play football. I've seen him play for 5 years. The dude isn't lacking in arm strength. So if he doesn't make it in this league, that won't be why.

That said, I've mentioned elsewhere how big a fan I am of Case and even with the good performance he had last night, I'm not ready to give him the clipboard just yet. He played against the Vikes 3rd teamers and beyond and I want to see how he handles playing against tougher defenders (2's) before he's declared backup, just one play away from being the starter. As much as I like Case, the best players have to be on this team first and if Case can't beat out T.J. then that's pretty sad IMO, because T.J. doesn't show me much.

The progress for Case from last year to this has been night and day. I haven't seen that kind of progress from Yates.

Seegara
08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Keenum was impressive. He showed good field presence and made good decisions. We didn't see whether he can go deep, though.

Hopkins looked good. We still don't know whether he runs a good route. After his touchdown I wasn't sure whether he was throwing the ball away or failing to complete the catch. It was too close for comfort.

Mayo looked bad, dropping 2 TD passes on successive plays.

ABC looked very bad. They have presented a garbled video before when they've attempted to televise football.

BullBlitz
08-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Very well said.

Playoffs
08-10-2013, 07:39 PM
This isn't boola boola...

BullBlitz
08-10-2013, 07:54 PM
I do, and who cares? For every name you come up that doesn't make it I can come up with one that does. Case Keenum is not Timmy Chang, Case Keenum is not Drew Brees. I don't have a problem with people who think Case won't make it. I have a problem with some of the reasons why they think that, like saying he doesn't have an arm. Anyone who says he lacks arm strength has never seen the man play football. I've seen him play for 5 years. The dude isn't lacking in arm strength. So if he doesn't make it in this league, that won't be why.

That said, I've mentioned elsewhere how big a fan I am of Case and even with the good performance he had last night, I'm not ready to give him the clipboard just yet. He played against the Vikes 3rd teamers and beyond and I want to see how he handles playing against tougher defenders (2's) before he's declared backup, just one play away from being the starter. As much as I like Case, the best players have to be on this team first and if Case can't beat out T.J. then that's pretty sad IMO, because T.J. doesn't show me much.

The progress for Case from last year to this has been night and day. I haven't seen that kind of progress from Yates.

Fully agree, and I think that all most of us want is to see him get some time with the 1st team. My sense is that is the last thing that Kubiak is going to approve, for obvious reasons.

ThaJokaa
08-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Rewatching the game right now, TJ looked solid. He couldve probably avoided the sack and when he ran it a 1st down was a good decision since no one was open. He's also been zipping the ball to thw WRs, not sure where the hate is coming from.

Keenum does look great as well, like I said before, let them switch next game n lets see Keenum with the 2nd stringers.

Playoffs
08-10-2013, 08:00 PM
That's why they call him 'nuke'.

Hey Spencer, I thought his mom called him Nuk after the pacifier brand?

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 08:02 PM

I haven't seen Schaub make that kind of progress either.

I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well. Yates looked fine to me, exactly like our back up QB should look.

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.

eriadoc
08-10-2013, 08:14 PM
I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well.

And you'd lose. Pay up.

Playoffs
08-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I think I dropped some bad acid... everything's all fuzzy and Tillman's sound is dropping out (which isn't a bad thing).

https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/3439941125/6c6103a406e0bdd80990dc0ec0ebbf97_normal.jpeg

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 08:27 PM
And you'd lose. Pay up.
Sorry, wrong bet.

Corrosion
08-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Rewatching the game right now, TJ looked solid. He couldve probably avoided the sack and when he ran it a 1st down was a good decision since no one was open. He's also been zipping the ball to thw WRs, not sure where the hate is coming from.

Keenum does look great as well, like I said before, let them switch next game n lets see Keenum with the 2nd stringers.

Most of my complaints are about Yates footwork ... He looked like he was on roller skates in the pocket , slipped at least three times. Hard to know if it was the turf , Yates .... or a combination of the above.

He also held onto the ball a beat too long on a couple of occasions .... In Contrast , when Keenum held onto the ball , he got outside the pocket.

Maybe Im nitpicking Yates performance ... but he definitely wasn't sharp at the outset.

In general , Im no Keenum supporter but he did look like the better QB against the Vikes. Its possible level of competition had something to do with that.

Speedy
08-10-2013, 09:53 PM

LMAO! It's just hopeless with some of you people.

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub (keeping in mind he's not Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, etc) but I already know the whack answers that I'd get. So don't bother trying to answer. I'm not really asking that. Schaub is a top 12-ish QB in this league. You are not going to see night and day differences year to year from anybody who is at or near the top of their game already. Schaub already went through that progression.

I know what I saw from Yates 2 years ago. A team that went from scoring damn near 30 points per game under Schaub, to a team that could barely score 20 under Yates. BUT I did give him the benefit of doubt being a 5th round rookie and all.

The very next pre-season, again going by what I saw, I didn't see any marked improvement from Yates, at all. In fact, he may have regressed. Last pre-season Yates was 19-32 for 191 yards with 0 TD, 0 INT, and not one single Texans drive in the entire pre-season with Yates under center ended with a TD. Not one. And this was playing against 2nd stringers in non-real games.

Now Case wasn't ready last year for sure. And after ONE game so far, I don't know if he's ready this year either. But you can sure see the improvement in him that you didn't see from Yates last year. Again, the competition level clouds that up a little, which is why I'd like to see Case be 1st off the bench Saturday, but you can definitely see an improved player. And if Case can play well enough to make the powers that be think he's the better option, then I don't care how many playoff games Yates has played. The better player needs to be there.

Yates doesn't get an automatic pass just because he's played real games before. Vince Young has played real games before and I'd take the Texans emergency QB over him.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 09:55 PM

I'd bet that most everyone who says that Case looked better than Yates last night would say that he looked better than Schaub as well. Yates looked fine to me, exactly like our back up QB should look.

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.That's a great completion % for Tim Tebow or Blaire Gabbert, but is several % points lower than what is expected of an NFL QB. I'd take Keenum's 70% completion % all day long over that.

Just admit that you've been drinking Keenum Haterade but his on field performance is working as an antidote. In a WCO, a reasonably mobile QB can wreak havoc on opposing D's. Especially if he's accurate on the move.

I'm not saying that Keenum is going to be a star but he is showing much greater upside and potential than Yates. I'd be willing to bet that 2014 will feature a QB controversy between Schaub and Keenum rather than Schaub and Yates. If it's not between Schaub and Keenum, it's because the Texans got all stupid, Packers lucky and the next Aaron Rodgers fell into their lap with the 32nd pick in the 2014 draft.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 10:47 PM

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub (keeping in mind he's not Brady, Brees, Peyton, Eli, etc) but I already know the whack answers that I'd get. So don't bother trying to answer. I'm not really asking that. Schaub is a top 12-ish QB in this league. You are not going to see night and day differences year to year from anybody who is at or near the top of their game already. Schaub already went through that progression.

I wasn't meaning to take a shot at Schaub, I was thinking more along the lines of diminishing returns. Schaub is a starter, he's only going to progress so much from year to year. Tj is the back up, he's only going to progress so much. Keenum had the most to make up. It should be a night & day difference.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 10:54 PM
I wasn't meaning to take a shot at Schaub, I was thinking more along the lines of diminishing returns. Schaub is a starter, he's only going to progress so much from year to year. Tj is the back up, he's only going to progress so much. Keenum had the most to make up. It should be a night & day difference.But, by most metrics, it appears that Keenum has surpassed Yates in the learning curve and shows more potential. If Kubes lets Keenum go 2nd next week, we will have sufficient info for a rational argument. Yates, by all appearances, has hit his ceiling. His celieng is the NFL floor. Remember that Yates went against 2nd's and 3rd's. He didn't do very well at all against the Vike's 2nd's. Just saying....

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 10:59 PM
That's a great completion % for Tim Tebow or Blaire Gabbert, but is several % points lower than what is expected of an NFL QB. I'd take Keenum's 70% completion % all day long over that.

Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, Jay Cuttler......

guess what they all have in common.

Just admit that you've been drinking Keenum Haterade but his on field performance is working as an antidote. In a WCO, a reasonably mobile QB can wreak havoc on opposing D's. Especially if he's accurate on the move.

I'd love for Keenum to be the next QB of the Houston Texans, if he can help us win a Super Bowl or two, or three...

I'd love for Yates to be the next QB of the Houston Texans, if he can help us win a Super Bowl or two or three...

I'd love for Schaub to be our QB for the next 5 years, if he can help us win a Super Bowl, or two, or three....

I'm not saying that Keenum is going to be a star but he is showing much greater upside and potential than Yates. I'd be willing to bet that 2014 will feature a QB controversy between Schaub and Keenum rather than Schaub and Yates. If it's not between Schaub and Keenum, it's because the Texans got all stupid, Packers lucky and the next Aaron Rodgers fell into their lap with the 32nd pick in the 2014 draft.

I think Yates will either be our starter in 2014 or he's going to be gone. He'll have his opportunity to win the job if Schaub misses a game. If he doesn't walk away from that game as the defacto starter (~ ala Kapernick) he's done.

If Schaub doesn't miss a game in 2013, we'll trade him or cut him. Yates gets promoted, another young'n comes in to the practice squad.

BullBlitz
08-10-2013, 11:01 PM

I would ask what more progress do you want from Schaub?

How about a win in the playoffs beyond the Wild Card round after 6 years here? Not to rush him or anything.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 11:03 PM
But, by most metrics, it appears that Keenum has surpassed Yates in the learning curve and shows more potential. If Kubes lets Keenum go 2nd next week, we will have sufficient info for a rational argument. Yates, by all appearances, has hit his ceiling. His celieng is the NFL floor. Remember that Yates went against 2nd's and 3rd's. He didn't do very well at all against the Vike's 2nd's. Just saying....

I saw Kubiak chewing Case's as5 out in the game. It wasn't a, "you messed up back there." kinda as5 chewing, it was a, "We've been over this a hundred times before." as5 chewing.

Keenum's numbers don't mean anything if he's behind Yates in the play book. From what I saw, Yates has the edge..... it may be a small enough edge that Keenum's athleticism & play making ability, yada, yada, yada puts him ahead of Yates, but I don't think so. That's not what I saw.

But my main point, even if they are even... even if Keenum is ahead... Yates' experience trumps that.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I saw Kubiak chewing Case's as5 out in the game. It wasn't a, "you messed up back there." kinda as5 chewing, it was a, "We've been over this a hundred times before." as5 chewing.

Keenum's numbers don't mean anything if he's behind Yates in the play book. From what I saw, Yates has the edge..... it may be a small enough edge that Keenum's athleticism & play making ability, yada, yada, yada puts him ahead of Yates, but I don't think so. That's not what I saw.

But my main point, even if they are even... even if Keenum is ahead... Yates' experience trumps that.Kubiak doesn't regularly chew ass. That tells me he sees more in Keenum than anything else.

Anywho, I'm about to watch the game for the 1st time, so I'll respond in more detail later.

TEXANRED
08-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Replay on NFLN tonight at 11:00, if you get that channel.

Watching right now. The Vikes announcers are so much better.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Watching right now. The Vikes announcers are so much better.It's not hard to be better than "technical difficulties". LMAO

76Texan
08-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Guys, my friend TK is a master of playing the fence, which is good.
He can engage both sides, and then it seems that he can jump the fence at any moment, either way.

I don't know if he's related to Henry Kissinger (a famous American political figure) or not, but he's darn good at what he does.

I tip my hat off to him.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 11:18 PM
He can engage both sides, and then it seems that he can jump the fence at any moment, either way.

I don't know if he's related to Henry Kissinger (a famous American political figure) or not, but he's darn good at what he does.

I tip my hat off to him.Agreed. Nailing down TK is like nailing down jello. It's hard to get nailed when you're spineless (just kidding TK). He argues well.

thunderkyss
08-10-2013, 11:23 PM

I think it appears that I'm riding the fence, because people are reading into what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that Tj is better than Case.

I'm saying that we don't know how Case will look in a real game. We know (more or less) how Tj is going to look. We know how Tj is ging to look in the playoffs. No idea what Case will look like.

Kubiak has got a plan. Unless he feels that Tj can not execute that plan, Tj will be our back up when the season starts.

However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013, he's fast tracking Case because he wants him to be as prepared as possible & he's not going to let his inexperience stop him from winning a Super Bowl.

76Texan
08-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Agreed. Nailing down TK is like nailing down jello. It's hard to get nailed when you're spineless (just kidding TK). He argues well.

There you go; but that's why I like it, the way he does it.

It takes a lot of skills to spin the yarn into a web.

infantrycak
08-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I think Yates will either be our starter in 2014 or he's going to be gone. He'll have his opportunity to win the job if Schaub misses a game. If he doesn't walk away from that game as the defacto starter (~ ala Kapernick) he's done.

If Schaub doesn't miss a game in 2013, we'll trade him or cut him. Yates gets promoted, another young'n comes in to the practice squad.

So your prediction is Schaub is gone after this season whether he gets injured or not. Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

You have been spouting purported coaching platitudes all day long but you don't know one of the most fundamental ones - you don't lose your starting gig to injury. Kap was a tremendous exception to the normal rule. Deviating as they did was most likely because Smith was not Harbaugh's guy and Kap was.

However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013...

Peering into the crystal ball again?

It is not Kubiak's habit to QB substitute.

2012 - TJ got 10 attempts.
2011 - injury year
2010 - 0 attempts for anyone not named Schaub.
2009 - 10 attempts not by Schaub including the halfback pass.

That's 1721 attempts with 20 by backups.

A healthy Schaub plays.

DocBar
08-10-2013, 11:39 PM
I think it appears that I'm riding the fence, because people are reading into what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that Tj is better than Case.

I'm saying that we don't know how Case will look in a real game. We know (more or less) how Tj is going to look. We know how Tj is ging to look in the playoffs. No idea what Case will look like.

Kubiak has got a plan. Unless he feels that Tj can not execute that plan, Tj will be our back up when the season starts.

However, I think he feels like all three of his QBs will see significant playing time in 2013, he's fast tracking Case because he wants him to be as prepared as possible & he's not going to let his inexperience stop him from winning a Super Bowl.I'd rather find out how Keenum looks on the playoffs rather than get another look at Yates in the playoffs. He wasn't exactly impressive.

thunderkyss
08-11-2013, 12:04 AM
So your prediction is Schaub is gone after this season whether he gets injured or not. Can I borrow your crystal ball sometime?

It's not really a crystal ball per se..... it's more like peyote & traveling to the spirit world.

You have been spouting purported coaching platitudes all day long but you don't know one of the most fundamental ones - you don't lose your starting gig to injury. Kap was a tremendous exception to the normal rule. Deviating as they did was most likely because Smith was not Harbaugh's guy and Kap was.

But it keeps happening time & time again.

Ok... maybe I should have said "I feel like..." but I don't see how Kubiak wouldn't be thinking it too. Matt Schaub 16 games, Arian Foste 16 games, Andre Johnson 16 games, Duane Brown 16 games, Owen Daniels 15 games, what are the odds of that happening in back to back years?

2011 - injury year

A healthy Schaub plays.

If Matt's foot was the reason we went through that late season slump like many here believe (I'm one of the few that don't) & he thought Matt gave us the best chance to win...... maybe he'll change his mind about that "no substitution" thing & make sure he's got a contingency plan.

Brandon420tx
08-11-2013, 12:08 AM

I normally agree with you on a lot of stuff, including tempering my expectations for Keenum on one preseason game. However, to be fair, if we are going to say we know how Yates is going to play in a real game because we've seen it before that's not very encouraging, I'd rather be looking for improvement now than how he was as a rookie 2 years ago. His grasp of the playbook should have improved, that is a given.

What most people are worried about is his mechanics, footwork, holding onto the ball, staring down receivers, and recklessness with the football, that he showed his rookie season and if that has gotten better. Last preseason that was answered with a no. This season I think he's knocked off the recklessness and staring down receivers. Which is a good thing, but we still need to see more games from him.

Corrosion
08-11-2013, 01:23 AM

2011 - injury year

A healthy Schaub plays.

So much I would like to say about this .... but I um .... nevermind.

Vance87
08-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Carson Palmer, Nick Foles, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, Jay Cuttler......

guess what they all have in common.

They're white?

What do I win.

BullNation4Life
08-11-2013, 02:14 AM
How about a win in the playoffs beyond the Wild Card round after 6 years here? Not to rush him or anything.

You do realize that last year was Schaub's first playoff appearance since being in a Texans uni?

I am pretty sure you knew this...

b0ng
08-11-2013, 02:52 AM
I think the main knocks on Keenum is he's had knee surgery and he's about to be 25 year old sophomore in the league; a player who was on the practice squad last year.

I would like for the next franchise QB to be entering the NFL at 22 or 23, and that two or three year difference is pretty big if you think you have something you can win with. Keenum doesn't have the luxury of sitting the bench for 4 years before getting his shot so he kind of has to expedite that process.

I like Keenum's story but it sucks he had to be the Van Wilder of QB's.

BullBlitz
08-11-2013, 07:08 AM
You do realize that last year was Schaub's first playoff appearance since being in a Texans uni?

I am pretty sure you knew this...

Yes, that's part of the problem.

DBCooper
08-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Hopkins looks solid. Going to look even better with AJ on the field.

Swearinger looked good back there for a rookie. Gonna be a good player.

Lestar was getting open nicely, catch the damn ball!

I'm not a TJ fan but he played fine once he got rolling, needs some fire in his play though. Case did a good job.

I don't think either of these guys are the future, probably draft or trade for someone in the next year.

CloakNNNdagger
08-11-2013, 11:00 AM
They're white?

What do I win.

:spit:

Playoffs
08-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Rewatched the Minny feed...

http://forums.s2kca.com/images/smilies/football.gif Game balls go to:

LB Brian Braman; DT Terrell McClain; QBs TJ Yates & Case Keenum; All 3 TEs: Garrett Graham, Ryan Griffin, Jake Byrne; LG David Quessenberry; and... wait for it... T Andrew Gardner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/sissypoo/SMILES/bth_running-smiley.gif Extra windsprints go to WR Keshawn Martin, G Cody White, LB Trevardo Williams, CB Roc Carmichael.

I was borderline positive on Bullock, but the missed FG has to knock him down a notch. And a couple of Roc's red marks were due to no pressure leaving him in coverage too long to keep up with a young speedster.

All of this is qualified by opposing talent -- and some of Minny's 3rd stringers (D-line) were pretty bad.

gafftop
08-11-2013, 12:29 PM
L Jean looked terrible. You can't be a receiver in the NFL if you can't catch the ball. No natural receiving skills. Move on if we have better but not NFL quality.

Roc did not look good. What is the deal with running out of bounds on punt coverage. Makes me think not too sharp. Not impressive on coverage either.

Jeff M looked bad also. Always hear how he catches everything in sight in practice. Doesn't seem to trust his hands.

Other than Andre and De I don't see much from our WR's. Hope to see more in the rest of the games.

Bullock looked just OK. I though he had a strong leg. If so then he is not consistent.

On rewatch C Wood looked pretty good. Karim should be gone. DJ sometimes danced to much but I do like his speed. Did not see enough of Graham but I like him better than Karim.

Mitchell looked great. McClain also looked good. Would like to see him against 1's. Jefferson looks interesting. Need to keep him I think.

Special teams still looked bad.

Not sure if Case tried to call TO right at end of 3rd quarter, but if he did then he is not very aware of the situation. Looking forward to seeing him against 2's. My two concerns with him are high risk passes and him getting pounded because he is not afraid to stay in pocket.

Really too early to say on the rookies. Still very interested to see rest of preseason. I think we need to see if Tate can make it a couple of games without getting hurt.

76Texan
08-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Keenum doesn't take too many sacks in college despite seeing enormous pressure almost every week. For example when I compared him with Luck against a common opponent (UCLA), I noted that Luck saw 4 pressures (if my memory serves me right - it's still there in a college football thread - while Keenum saw 24 or so.

Another thing that I mentioned is that for a big and tall QB, Osweiler (6'7) had many batted passes while Keenum saw very few.
The guy just knows how to play football.

ThaJokaa
08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Apparently he knows how to play, but peoples problem is that he doesnt give the ball enough power and "zip" to his WR in a blink of an eye

IDEXAN
08-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Hopkins looks solid. Going to look even better with AJ on the field.

He had a good game but you know the truth is the Vikings rookie WR and 1st round pick Patterson was also very impressive. He was of course the next WR taken after Hopkins so we also had a shot at him and over the longer term it will be interesting to see which one has the better NFL career ?

Texn4life
08-11-2013, 10:17 PM
He had a good game but you know the truth is the Vikings rookie WR and 1st round pick Patterson was also very impressive. He was of course the next WR taken after Hopkins so we also had a shot at him and over the longer term it will be interesting to see which one has the better NFL career ?

They're different receivers, but Patterson did look good. Much more explosive with the ball in his hands. I think both are going to be dynamic in their own right in my opinion.

Funny sidenote but both Dorin Dickerson and Da'rick Rogers scored today for Buffalo. Dickerson is shredded right now.

DocBar
08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Apparently he knows how to play, but peoples problem is that he does give the ball enough power and "zip" to his WR in a blink of an eyeThat seems to be more of a rumor than actual fact. Just because Keenum doesn't break fingers on every throw doesn't mean he lacks arm strength. It means he throws a catchable ball. How do you get to be the ALL TIME leading NCAA passer and not have any zip on the ball? I guess Keenum just feasted on his weak conference for all of those yards and never had to put a ball on the spot, at the right time. He was just lobbing bombs and jump balls for all that time. If that's the case, why weren't all of his WR's and TE's drafted in the 1st 3 rounds for all of those years? Obviously they made Keenum look much better than he is. I mean he has no arm strength, can't zip the ball into tight spaces, is only accurate at short range. Those were some NFL HOF caliber receivers and TE's he was working with in order to overcome all those shortcomings. That doesn't even begin to question his height.

Scooter
08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
i know it's commonplace to invoke the name of drew brees when talking about a "short" quarterback, but that's exactly who keenum reminds me of. the way he moves, the eyes, the touch, the angles ... very brees like. docbar put the right word on it, case throws a very "catchable" ball regardless of distance. similarly someone said in the gameday thread that receivers are running after the catch with keenum's throws unlike you usually see even from most #1 quarterbacks. all traits that have gotten brees so far, especially movement in the pocket and accuracy.

i think schaub gives us the best chance to win this year, but i would certainly like to see keenum earn the #2 this season - and truly think he could work into the starting role next year.

76Texan
08-11-2013, 10:51 PM
They're different receivers, but Patterson did look good. Much more explosive with the ball in his hands. I think both are going to be dynamic in their own right in my opinion.

Funny sidenote but both Dorin Dickerson and Da'rick Rogers scored today for Buffalo. Dickerson is shredded right now.

The way our ST performed and how the D was missing tackles, I'm glad we don't have to face them with Patterson and Peterson.

Texn4life
08-11-2013, 11:03 PM
The way our ST performed and how the D was missing tackles, I'm glad we don't have to face them with Patterson and Peterson.

Special Teams maybe, but our defense played without arguably our top 4 or 5 players.ST in the 1st qtr had most of the guys who will need to contribute for us so that long return was a worry.

ObsiWan
08-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Srsly?
Perhaps that's because in Schaub's first two years in the league he sat behind Michael Vick in ATL so there was nothing to see. Or more accurately, there was nothing a Texans fan would have been interested in keeping track of.

Schaub was a three year vet when he got to Houston. Keenum was a rookie.

Let's compare apples to apples my friend.

With that in mind, as a vet going into his third year, Yates ought to be where Schaub was when he (Schaub) got to Houston. One could argue that Yates should be beyond where Schaub was since "he has playoff experience" and Schaub did not.

I don't see that.

thunderkyss
08-12-2013, 03:20 AM

That was my point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rey
08-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Srsly?
Perhaps that's because in Schaub's first two years in the league he sat behind Michael Vick in ATL so there was nothing to see. Or more accurately, there was nothing a Texans fan would have been interested in keeping track of.

With that in mind, as a vet going into his third year, Yates ought to be where Schaub was when he (Schaub) got to Houston. One could argue that Yates should be beyond where Schaub was since "he has playoff experience" and Schaub did not.

I don't see that.

We wouldn't know where Yates is really at until he got a shot at starting. That's not likely to happen here anytime soon unless Schaub gets injured.....again

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Yates could do as good as Schaub did his first year here. But TJ has been in this system two full years already. So he has a bit of a leg up. But Schaub's first year here he played 11 games with 9 td's and 9 int's. Had he played the last 5 games he probably finishes with about 3,300 yards or so.

IDEXAN
08-12-2013, 07:31 AM
And given Swearington is "just" a safety and basically a box-safety at that, we went way too far in expending a second round pick on him. I think he's a poor-mans Bernard Pollard, but smaller. He's got a mouth like Bernard but unlike Bernard he don't tackle so well. Very disappointing debut for Swearington and I don't understand the pick ?

Corrosion
08-12-2013, 07:39 AM

61% completion, 7.2 ypc, 99.5 passer rating..... That's a good game for any QB if he could maintain that type of performance for 60 minutes. Listen to the guys around here, you'd think he was Tim Tebow.

No , I wouldn't say Keenum looked better than Schaub .... even in his limited snaps.

Yates looked like a backup should ?! Slippin and sliding all over the place ?!? Man , Yates footwork against the Vikes looked like a kid playing Pop Warner ball ..... Was it the shoes ? The Turf or Yates ?! (I'd like to think it was the latter).

Mr teX
08-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Three things stood out for me in a positive way: Case Keenum, DeAndre Hopkins, and all those rookie undrafted RBs.

The only things I've got a real negative on is the special teams coverage and channel 13.

Noticeable meh's go to Swearinger and TJ.

One thing for sure, our bench strength is better than the Vikings. Rick Smith has been bringing in talent to this team.

This is how i felt about Swearinger as well. Excluding the missed tackle, the little i did see of him early i wasn't really all that impressed with.....If i was to compare him to the hype coming out of camp about him anyway.

Look like he had trouble wrapping guys up to me. It's just the 1st game but thus far, this guy seems to be all "swag" to me.

deucetx
08-12-2013, 08:16 AM
A lot of Yates and Keenum talk, heh. Guess that's a good thing rather than wondering who your starter is going to be.

Pretty off the mark here. Case is easily the most athletic between him and Yates. It's not really all that close so not sure where you got this from. And saying Case is like Schaub or shows no fire is also off the mark. It was quite visible during the game with fist pumping, kicking out, etc. Someone posted Kubiak speaking about Case's enthusiasm while playing as well.

With that said...

They were both pretty solid. I really don't see much to put one over the other in that single game. Between the two I see more upside in Case because he can adapt to a situation when things break down more as where Yates still seems a play by design guy. I still see inconsistency in going through his reads and staring down receivers that he did as a rookie. But once he settled down things got better. I see them more as 1A and 1B at this point. Both were good in this outing.

Impressed:
Cierre Wood - Did a great job of one cut then get upfield. Saw little to no hesitation in comparison to Johnson. To be fair he got better blocking too.
Earl Mitchell - I didn't have much doubt in him taking over as some but he still played even higher than I expected. But yeah preseason though still nice to see.
T. McClain - Now this I didn't expect much at all but this guy dominated those across from him. He keeps it up this will be a better NT combo than Cody/Mitchell easily.
Shiloh Keo - Surprised to add him here but he had a way of getting to the ball and being in the right spot compared to being lost in space last year. Hopefully this continues.
Eddie Pleasant - Really giving Keo a fight for that spot. He was always around the ball when on the field. That's what you want in a safety.
Braman - Good pass rush and the use of technique other than just speed.
Quessenberry - Played LG better than B. Jones rather easily. Could Mr. Roller Coaster (aka Wade Smith) have reason to sweat?
D. Newton - For a guy who had limited camp action due to injury he was pretty solid. Nice to see in the young man but hopefully it continues.
Gardner - Not bad for a guy I thought wouldn't make the roster. Probably still won't since Harris will be swing tackle in all likelyhood and B. Williams over there. We'll see.

Not Impressed:
Keyshawn Martin - Sheesh this guy and drops. I also didn't like his break on his cuts during pattern runs. He takes too many small steps instead of planting and sharping it out. Makes it easy for corners to pick up and react. He just may need time to develop
Roc Carmichael - Great reports during camp and then...this. His technique wasn't very sharp and there were small moments of that he looked uncertain which you can't have at corner. Hopefully he rebounds.
Brandon Brooks - I expected roads paved. Instead it was rather medicore. He seemed to do well pass blocking but the run blocking was subpar from what I expected. I think he'll rebound.
Cody White - Yeah...may have to kiss a roster spot goodbye after that effort.
T. Williams - Wanted to see something out of our OLB's and got little. But this one is someone I thought could sneak in there but right now doesn't seem to have found his place out there. Right now I wouldn't even have him as backup as I think Jefferson and Braman outplayed him. He's been disappointing so hopefully something clicks fast.

Side Note: I really want to see this Bonner kid after watching Martin the other night (and re-watching). Would be nice to have a slot that is a threat in the middle of the field and that can geet some YAC. Martin has the talent but continues to be inconsistent right now.

DocBar
08-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Srsly?

I don't see that. Good post. The only thing I will add is that Yates is a three year vet in the same system, with the same team and coaching staff. Schaub didn't have that luxury. With that in mind, Yates should be far ahead of where Schaub was when he got here. That he isn't should be a cause for alarm. :shades:

thunderkyss
08-12-2013, 08:41 AM
That he isn't should be a cause for alarm. :shades:

How do we know that he isn't? His performance, looked very Schaub like to me.

76Texan
08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
I agree with those who saw something good out of Yates.
I saw some improvements.
I agree with deuce that he looked a bit too mechanical.
But he did make some nice throw on the bootleg.

Yates seems to me somewhat the equivalent of Schaub.
Neither of them acre very good in the presnap read nor the postsnap read.
They don't recognize the defense as readily at their respective early stage of their career.

Remember how Schaub used to take a sack beyond the 3-Sec mark that some of us complained about?
Schaub was like Yates when he first got here, and he only improved marginally in this department in 07.
But he got better at it each year.

There are two types of general; one that leads a battle; the other commands the whole war.

The latter one has a vision of the overall strategy, his side as well his opponents'.
The other ones are good at certain tactics to carry out the objective; but are not quite adept at counteracting when the opponents shift their plans.

As a general, Napoleon Bonaparte didn't strike fear into any one with his less than imposing 5'7 figure, but he imposed his command a thousand times better than others who stood 6'3 or even taller.

Y'all know what I'm thriving at.

76Texan
08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
And given Swearington is "just" a safety and basically a box-safety at that, we went way too far in expending a second round pick on him. I think he's a poor-mans Bernard Pollard, but smaller. He's got a mouth like Bernard but unlike Bernard he don't tackle so well. Very disappointing debut for Swearington and I don't understand the pick ?

Actually, Swearinger was known for good tackling in college, just saying.

HOU-TEX
08-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Kubiak wasn't happy with third-and-long situations. Too many missed tackles and dropped passes early.

I'd like to add throwing short of the marker too. IIRC, all 3 QBs had one. Is this the play call? I can understand if there's nowhere else to go after going through their progressions, but they don't even seem like they're going through progressions. Maybe it's a pre-snap read?

Maybe I have tunnel vision when it comes to this, but I don't remember seeing any other teams do this as much as we do.

76Texan
08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
I'd like to add throwing short of the marker too. IIRC, all 3 QBs had one. Is this the play call? I can understand if there's nowhere else to go after going through their progressions, but they don't even seem like they're going through progressions. Maybe it's a pre-snap read?

Maybe I have tunnel vision when it comes to this, but I don't remember seeing any other teams do this as much as we do.

I would say that the Texans have been below par in this department.
When I studied the situation using the Playfinder feature at ProFootballReference.com, that was what I noticed.

I didn't go in depth, just enough to estimate that Kubiak probably ranks around 10th in the conservative mark.

Porky
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
No particular order. I'll say up front I don't feel qualified to talk about the o-line. I would need to go back and isolate better. I was really trying to watch the skill guys and the QB's.

The Good

Earl Mitchell - Man what a game. He was wrecking shop. Need to see him do it all preseason before I get ahead of myself, but dude was a beast against their 1st team. Imagine a DL of Watt, Mitchell, and A Smith all playing at their best.

Terrell McClain - Slightly tempered by level of comp - but when a guy is a beast among boys, it is what it is. Mitchell/McClain could be a deadly duo at NT.

Willie Jefferson - Ok the kid is raw. I also can see that he will get engulfed at times and he needs to develop more moves, but he has something you cannot teach. I see a big future for him if he works his ass off. This year, I keep it real simple for him. I put him in on 3rd and long and let him go after the QB like a dog going after a rib bone.

Case Keenum - After the first two series I thought Yates did reasonably well...but still saw some things that troubled me. Then Case came in. Case is strong where I question Yates. Better athleticism, better command, more leadership out there, able to make something out of nothing, etc. The play that sealed it for me was when he got flushed out moving to his left, squared his shoulders and found Jean and got it to him perfectly on the run. That kind of ability is innate and separates the wheat from the chaff.

Hopkins - He didn't have a perfect game BUT the catch in the end zone was priceless. He is going to be money in the red zone. Once he fully "gets it" he has star written all over him. Good debut...GREAT play.

Cierre Wood - I said it elsewhere. Kind of reminds me of one #23. Fluid, deceptive speed, good vision, knows when and how to cut, decisive, let's his blockers do their job, etc. Like the others mentioned here, I want to see him show this all preseason, BUT if he continues to shine like he did the other night, I think he has potential to replace Foster down the road.

Shapiro - I thought it was actually Lechler kicking at first. Kid has a foot and also placed the ball well. He has real potential. Doubt it's with us.

S Keo - Wait, did I just single out Shiloh Keo for praise? Yes I did. Still slow afoot, but if you know exactly where to be, you can at least be serviceable, and that's all you can expect. Kudos to the guy. Looks like he is working hard.

The Bad

DJ Swearinger - - One thing I learned in grade school. If you are going to run your mouth, you better be able to back it up. Right now, he can't. Poor game from him, with a tackle a HS guy would be chewed out for. I do think it's all correctable. Let's see what he has against the Fins.

Dennis Johnson - I see all the things that tantalize. But it's like the sum of the parts is less than the whole. It's like that girl with the AA breasts, but she has swag and carries herself beautifully vs a girl with the D chest but she's just a big breasted ugly girl with a rotten personality. It's not what you got - it's how you use what you got. I'm intrigued enough to want to see more - but he needs to turn it on.

T Williams - Apparently he didn't realize the game started at 7pm. Again, the parts are there but right now he is lost. Completely lost.

Brennen Williams and Sam Montgomery - You can't make the club from the tub and it's disappointing because I see them as sloths right now.

The Ugly

Roc Carmichael - Roc, Roc, Roc (shakes head) I heard so many good things from camp about you, and this is what you deliver? Watching Roc Carmichael is kind of like going to the bar. You have a few drinks and a beautiful girl invites you back to her place where she lets you have your way with her. You wake up the next morning, only to find you went to bed with Rosie O'Donnell after a sex change operation. Extremely disappointed and I think he played his way out of a job.

Joe Marciano - Can anyone tell me why he is still employed? I'm tired of the freaking excuses from everyone from Gary Kubiak to the water boy. I truly admire and like him personally, so this isn't personal - but he is a bad coach and Gary should have fired him. We had the worst ST in the league last year and all they did is bring in an assistant? What a joke. I mean it's the same exact crap as last year. I'm sure we'll hear all preseason about how coach Joe has to integrate all these young bucks in - as if all the other 31 teams magically have vets playing at every ST position. It's a joke - and the joke is on us. They were lousy as a group and it better get fixed.

Channel 13 - Ok the one non-football one. They have been a joke for years, and I have no idea why the Texans continue to affiliate with them. And it's not just because of the uplink issue Friday. That was just the cherry on top of the fail cake. The two announcers are terrible, and have been since the inception. Joel Myers (God love him) either is inept or has Alzheimer's. I've seen people at a speed dating seminar get more names correct. I kind of like Spencer on some weird level, but his cliche's got old about 8 years ago. I mean the man is literally a walking bundle of cliche's and adds no real analysis unless it includes a cliche. I somehow imagine that after his wife compliments him on his sexual performance, he says slow too, fast through, and I was just playing those deals and games baby. :mariopalm:

I wish the ineptness just stopped there. The whole production stinks EVERY single game. The camera angles are bad, the cameramen lose the ball as much in one game as I see CBS do in a whole year. Camera work in general is bad. They play replays while there is live action going on. Do we get a replay of what we missed? Of course not - that would make too much sense. They replay unimportant things, and totally skip over the important stuff. They have stupid interviews every game that completely distract from the action on the field (this one may sadly be Texans directed). We didn't even have HD until recently. The whole freaking production from A to Z is one giant fail and this is every week for 10 years.

Enough is enough. Quit with the distracting interviews. If you must interview Jamie Roots, why not on a post game show? Hello. Mcfly. Anyone home? I sure hope the Texans are taking notice of this ****, because this is pathetic. They need to sign a new contract with another provider. 11 or 2. Give one of those two a chance. It literally could not be worse.

Edit - I should have added K Martin and L Jean to the bad list. Inconsistent is the only consistent thing with either one and we need someone at #3 that can be relied on. Jean's days are numbered imo.

EVOLVIST
08-12-2013, 12:24 PM
The Good

Earl Mitchell - I told y'all he was coming on, and peeps poo pooed on my assessment. Oh well, I've probably been more wrong than right anyway, so it's all good.

Deandre Hopkins - Showed why we drafted him...and after this game he's even more dedicated to his craft, but did you see Cordarrelle Patterson, too? :respect:

Cierre Wood - It's early, but I can't see how he loses the job. Plus...

Cierre Wood “Houston is a real great city. This heat, that about takes the cake for me. It’s too hot. I thank God I can’t get any blacker than this, but it’s just ridiculous hot out here, especially today.”

Cierre Wood (on if his mom has French ties) “Not that I know of; my mom tells me a lot of things. She could be anything at this point. I believed she was 39 for the past two years, so I couldn’t tell you what she was. I know I’m black so she got to be some sort of black.” :spit:

AJ Bouye - He makes the team in English and in French.

The Bad

Lestar Jean - Wish upon a star all you want, your days are numbered.

Cody White - Ghastly!

Trevardo Williams - Only the first game, but he pulled a Houdini.

The Ugly

Joe Marciano

Roc Carmichael - I can smell what the roc's got cookin' :eek:

Deandre Hopkins' Ronald McDonald Gloves.

HOU-TEX
08-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Willie Jefferson plays way too high. It might be due to being kinda lanky. I'm not sure, but it appeared as if he stands straight up at the snap of the ball. He was able to make up for it at times with his hands. He has very fast hands that caught the opponent off guard a time or two.

HJam72
08-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I thought the Vikings cheerleaders were kinda impressive. :kitten:

ObsiWan
08-12-2013, 02:25 PM

I was wondering if he had latched onto any team. Glad to see he's still hanging in there.

Too bad Buffalo has no real QB...

...okay so I don't really feel sorry for them...

thunderkyss
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Too bad Buffalo has no real QB...

...okay so I don't really feel sorry for them...

I'd still like to see Kolb succeed.

& the Bills just picked up a very good coaching staff. They've got Rex Ryan's right hand man running the defense, & the Saints offensive coordinator from '06 to '08 (the year before the Super Bowl) as their head coach. Marrone (their head coach) went to Syracuse, improved that program & won a bowl game last year. Before all that, he was the Jets OL coach when they had a pretty respectable run game (2002-2005).

If Kolb can stay healthy (big IF) they can do some really good things up there in Buffalo..... lots of talent on that D, good RB/run game. If their coaches are as good as their resumes, Buffalo will be this year's Cinderella.

EVOLVIST
08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Willie Jefferson plays way too high.

Hey, brother...Jerome Simpson plays high. Nick Fairley plays high. Now it seems that Von Miller plays high, too! So, I mean, I don't care how high Willie Jefferson plays. As long as he's productive, pass the Dutchie, and I'll see ya in East Rutherford, aight? ;)

(I'm finna go get me some Cheetos)

thunderkyss
08-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Hey, brother...Jerome Simpson plays high. Nick Fairley plays high. Now it seems that Von Miller plays high, too! So, I mean, I don't care how high Willie Jefferson plays. As long as he's productive, pass the Dutchie, and I'll see ya in East Rutherford, aight? ;)

(I'm finna go get me some Cheetos)

Are you high?

EVOLVIST
08-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Are you high?

Only when playin' ball.

Texan_Bill
08-12-2013, 08:12 PM
The Good:

Earl Mitchell - If he plays like that next to Watt, this would be one scary D-line.

Cierre Wood - I didn't have a favorite RB to take the #3 coming in but Wood impressed me the most.

DeAndre Hopkins - Awesome TD catch over the DB and he had 3 other receptions to go with it.

The Bad:

The bad??? Channel 13!!

Corrosion
08-12-2013, 09:21 PM
The bad??? Channel 13!!

That would be the "Really Ugly"

76Texan
08-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Only when playin' ball.

I need to rep you at least twice in this thread.

Bouye makes it in French or English.

LOL.

I can't blame TK for thinking that you're high, LMAO!

gafftop
09-09-2013, 10:46 PM
L Jean looked terrible. You can't be a receiver in the NFL if you can't catch the ball. No natural receiving skills. Move on if we have better but not NFL quality.
Roc did not look good. What is the deal with running out of bounds on punt coverage. Makes me think not too sharp. Not impressive on coverage either.

Jeff M looked bad also. Always hear how he catches everything in sight in practice. Doesn't seem to trust his hands.

Other than Andre and De I don't see much from our WR's. Hope to see more in the rest of the games.

Bullock looked just OK. I though he had a strong leg. If so then he is not consistent.

On rewatch C Wood looked pretty good. Karim should be gone. DJ sometimes danced to much but I do like his speed. Did not see enough of Graham but I like him better than Karim.

Mitchell looked great. McClain also looked good. Would like to see him against 1's. Jefferson looks interesting. Need to keep him I think.

Special teams still looked bad.

Not sure if Case tried to call TO right at end of 3rd quarter, but if he did then he is not very aware of the situation. Looking forward to seeing him against 2's. My two concerns with him are high risk passes and him getting pounded because he is not afraid to stay in pocket.

Really too early to say on the rookies. Still very interested to see rest of preseason. I think we need to see if Tate can make it a couple of games without getting hurt.

Get head out Kubiak. Jean is a smaller, slower, dumber, less talented Jacoby.