PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season 8/9/2013, Game 1 vs Vikings: Top 5 things you are interested in seeing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rey
08-08-2013, 10:05 AM
There are a bunch of things I want to see, but If I had to narrow it down to 5 it would be:

1) The LB group. Going to be a lot of young guys playing there and they have a chance to really make a case to be on the team. Merciless has been out, I don't think Reed will play much...No Cushing...No Dobbins...Lots of guys going to get a chance.

2) Hopkins. He'll have Schaub out there with him I think, so he should get some good looks. Dre won't be playing, so he will likely be our top WR.

3) Swearinger. Keo is starting, but Swagg is going to play a lot regardless.

4) Brandon Brooks. I want to see if he can truly be a beast at RG.

5) Our kicking game. I know Lechler is a beast, but I still want to see him kick just for the awe factor. Bullock, I want him to have tough kicks early and often throughout pre-season. I also want to see him get the ball deep into the EZ on kick-offs.

What do you all want to see?

idymoe
08-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Good list you've got. I'm interested in seeing Qberry and Newton. Newton could take a big step forward in his second year starting (I think he will start, barring injury). Qberry could be big down the road and this year if someone gets hurt.

I want to see if K. Martin has improved as much as has been written.

Trail.Blazr
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Case K. I want to see him have a phenomenal pre-season

76Texan
08-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Good list you've got. I'm interested in seeing Qberry and Newton. Newton could take a big step forward in his second year starting (I think he will start, barring injury). Qberry could be big down the road and this year if someone gets hurt.

I want to see those things to;
I'm thinking, however, that QMan will see some time at LG (as well as Ben Jones.)

Is Jones going to be our next Center or is he going to compete with Q for the LG spot in the future?

76Texan
08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I want to see if Merci has improved his strength enough to hold the edge, and whether he had developed at least one pass rush move.
We're gonna need him to step up.

JCTexan
08-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I would list it like this:

1) Hopkins. I want to see him get a few catches.

2) The RB Group outside of Tate. The #3 RB is up for grabs and they should all get a chance to play.

3) The LB Corp. There should be plenty of rookies getting opportunities.

4) Swearinger. Is he really the leader he's made out to be and can he step in and play right away if Houston needs him to?

5) The O-line. I want to see Brooks dominate myself, the battle for the starting RT & I want to see how Quessenberry performs.

Almost made the five:

The WR Corps. Can any of the young WR's in Martin, Bonner, Jean actually contribute this year? Martin/Jean really didn't last year...

The #2 QB battle Keenum or Yates? Should be fun to watch.

Playoffs
08-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Keshawn Martin, Andy Cruse, Alec Lemon, Alan Bonner,

Ryan Griffin,

Brandon Brooks, David Quessenberry

Dennis Johnson/Cierre Wood

Randy Bullock,

Daniel Muir, David Hunter, Chris Jones

Justin Tuggle, Willie Jefferson,

AJ Bouye,

and of course NukDaBomb (https://twitter.com/Nukdabomb) & JungleBoi_Swagg (https://twitter.com/JungleBoi_Swagg).

http://media.culturemap.com/crop/a3/4f/800x600/DeAndre-Hopkins-catch-Texans-camp_131706.jpg

ChampionTexan
08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I want to see if Merci has improved his strength enough to hold the edge, and whether he had developed at least one pass rush move.

I think you're gonna have to wait until at least the Miami game to see that, as Mercilus is unlikely to play tomorrow night.

Rey
08-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Is Merciless playing?

I was under the impression that he was a no-go? At least that's what I thought I had read....

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Is Merciless playing?

I was under the impression that he was a no-go? At least that's what I thought I had read....

Mercilus will be lucky to be back to practice next week. Preseason game participation even the following game would be very unwise if you want him healthy for the opener.

76Texan
08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
I think you're gonna have to wait until at least the Miami game to see that, as Mercilus is unlikely to play tomorrow night.

Is Merciless playing?

Ah well, I forgot about that!

I've read about it, but it slipped my mind.
Well, here's the chance for the youngsters to show what they can do.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm more interested in NOT seeing something..............INJURIES, that is. Mall of America harbors a Field turf surface.

Data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009. They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf. In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.

Of course, I am also interested in seeing the things that others have mentioned. But with all of the early rehabbing already going around, here's hoping for an injury free game.

Thorn
08-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Hopkins, Case, LBs, and the kickers I will be concentrating on. But there is a lot about this game to watch besides just those, most especially the 3rd string RB battle who gets the last of the WR positions.

The Pencil Neck
08-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I think everybody's covered it.

The main thing in this game is to just see the young guys and the fringe players. The starters aren't going to be out there long (if at all.)

The LBs (O and I) will have my attention. I want to see TJ and Case play well. I want to see Cierre Wood vs. Dennis Johnson.

Hell...

I want to see every group. I want to see my 2013 Texans.

Porky
08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
You guys pretty much covered it, but I'll get specific down to player instead of position. I have many more than 5, but I'll list five.

1) Willie Jefferson - camp phenom or phenomenal?

2) Hopkins - I have a lot of confidence this is the right pick - yet I want to see him carry his success in camp over to the bright lights.

3) Dennis Johnson - I was really happy when we signed him and I'm not shocked about his running. But he's small. Can he do the little things that give him a chance to be the star RB of the future, or will he always have to be a bit player?

4) Case Keenum - He started out like a house afire, and now reports are he's sort of come back to Earth and TJ is coming on strong. I'm really interested to see how Case looks in a game vs. TJ.

5) Keshawn Martin - Reports from camp have been super encouraging. Can he carry his newfound confidence over to a game? Or is he still going to be a tentative guy that lacks concentration and drops too many balls. We'll get our first look see tomorrow.

cstyle42
08-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm excited to see a texans game period. First thing is seeing how Matt Schaub is moving in the pocket and in his progression. Second thing is special teams play. Third thing is the right side of the line. Fourth thing is linebackers. Fifth thing is secondary improvement.

Grams
08-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Texan football.

Playoffs
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm more interested in NOT seeing something..............INJURIES, that is. Mall of America harbors a Field turf surface.

Data from the NFL's injury surveillance system, which covered 2,680 games played on grass or FieldTurf between 2000 and 2009. They found players suffered 1,528 knee sprains and 1,503 ankle sprains during those games, and both types of injuries were 22 percent more common in games played on FieldTurf. In particular, ACL sprains - often considered season-ending injuries - were 67 percent more common on FieldTurf than on natural grass.Doc, I was wondering if turf injuries would be decreased by using less traction-grabbing soles on their shoes? Like, a slippery sole? More slip/stretch injuries but less ACL type injuries?

eriadoc
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
WR corps - tons of young talent out there, and a few guys that might be in their final Texans training camp.

DL - I want to see what Crick and Mitchell can do.

ILB - Is Joe Mays playing? I want to watch him.

QB - Yates vs. Keenum

OL - Want to see Quessenberry. Want to see how Ben Jones does. Not particularly high on Newton, but I want him to make me a believer.

What I don't want to see - injuries.

drs23
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Case K. I want to see him have a phenomenal pre-season

So do alot of other folks, myself included, but his latest camp reviews have not been stellar. We'll see.

drs23
08-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Well, ya might have to wait a week or so...

Mr teX
08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
There are a bunch of things I want to see, but If I had to narrow it down to 5 it would be:

1) The LB group. Going to be a lot of young guys playing there and they have a chance to really make a case to be on the team. Merciless has been out, I don't think Reed will play much...No Cushing...No Dobbins...Lots of guys going to get a chance.

2) Hopkins. He'll have Schaub out there with him I think, so he should get some good looks. Dre won't be playing, so he will likely be our top WR.

3) Swearinger. Keo is starting, but Swagg is going to play a lot regardless.

4) Brandon Brooks. I want to see if he can truly be a beast at RG.

5) Our kicking game. I know Lechler is a beast, but I still want to see him kick just for the awe factor. Bullock, I want him to have tough kicks early and often throughout pre-season. I also want to see him get the ball deep into the EZ on kick-offs.

What do you all want to see?

#2 and 3 for me only. I'm happy football is back, but i'm not gonna lie, i'm probably watching the 1st qtr. of this game and that'll be it for me. This will be my 1st glimpse of Hopkins & i want to see what he looks like...will he look lost or look like he comfy out there. The same for Swearinger.

I'm mainly looking for things that'll tell me if we have a future with these kids or not.

HOU-TEX
08-08-2013, 02:50 PM
1) LB corps from inside out, top to bottom (minus Cush, of course)

2) DLine depth

3) DB depth

4) Brooks, Newton and remaining Oline depth

5) WRs behind AJ and Hopkins

Yes, I am biased towards defense..always have been

76Texan
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm mainly looking for things that'll tell me if we have a future with these KIDS or not.

Is that you, Kubiak? LOL!

rush2112mn
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
NO FREAKIN INJURIES......I could care less if we win or not....thats all that I care about.....has anyone seen how many freakin players in the NFL got hurt in the last week and are gone for the season....just in training camp......over 20......20 ....thats crazy......they are done for the year....bye bye.....
I will say it again....NO FREAKIN INJURIES......

badboy
08-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Other than Newton at RT, I will focus on the back up players like
2. Keenum 3. Lestar Jean 4. Q
#5 will be Mays although don't know if he is starting or Sharpton who last I heard was out with injury.

I think I know what we have in Hopkins and Swearinger. Still think it would be cool if the fans all yelled "GRRR!" when he makes a play.

b0ng
08-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Did not read the thread and I will post the 5 things I will look for then come back to see if others agree:

1) LB corps (OLB's specifically): I don't think Cushing should be playing, so that we can get good looks at Sharpton, Mays and Dobbins in the ILB roles. Who's starting at OLB, Tuggle and Reed? Yikes.

2) RB's not named Tate or Foster.

3) Punt/Kick returns and the coverage teams when punting or kicking off.

4) Is Shiloh Keo really going to start at Safety while Reed is out?

5) Yates vs Keenum.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Doc, I was wondering if turf injuries would be decreased by using less traction-grabbing soles on their shoes? Like, a slippery sole? More slip/stretch injuries but less ACL type injuries?

Injury on the playing field often is caused by the interaction between the athlete’s shoe and the field surface. In a literature review appearing in the relatively recent May 2013 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons , researchers shed light on the evolution of synthetic playing surfaces. The study summarized the existing research on artificial turf and the role of shoe-surface interface in injury, finding that the key to minimizing injuries on natural and artificial playing fields may be to understand the interplay between different types of athletic shoes, specific sports and field surfaces.

It was felt that optimal shoe-playing surface conditions may be level and sport-specific, and that the shoe-playing surface interface is a modifiable risk factor for injury. But they also made it clear that research needed to be continued on this subject.

Determining the shoe-playing surface interface though is complex and challenging as it is influenced by human factors (i.e., the athlete’s body weight, velocity and acceleration, deceleration, loading rate, and angle of the foot and height before contact), shoe factors (i.e., sole type and cleat/stud material of footwear, and number and size of cleats and cleat configuration), type of playing surface, and related environmental factors

The bad news, artificial turf surfaces are linked to more knee and ankle injuries than grass and dirt. The reason is that grass has more give. You hit the artificial surface harder than the real stuff and your foot is more likely to stick on the ground, with more torque on your knee, foot, and ankle. And while artificial surfaces have improved over the years and more closely resemble grass now than ever before, it’s just not the same.

Some interesting conclusions that they could make in the study was:

*Most types of shoes have higher peak torque and rotational stiffness (the rate at which torque is developed under rotation) on artificial turf than on natural turf.

*Sole material and cleat pattern and shape may affect torque. For example, shoes with small cleats (nubs of only millimeters in length) place the lowest amount of pressure on the foot, and may potentially minimize the incidence of foot stress fractures, ankle and knee injuries on artificial surfaces.

*Because of constant changes in both the athletic shoe market and artificial surfaces, much of the existing research on the shoe-playing surface is outdated.

The role of the shoe surface interface in the development of lower extremity injuries continues to be clarified, but is far from clear. In spite of not having all the answers, there is strong evidence though that the shoe-playing surface interface is a modifiable risk factor for injury and further research is needed to improve playing conditions for all of our players.

It is very obvious that teams need to be much more focused on trying to discover which type of foot wear will fit the bill for each individual player on the team for each surface and the conditions they are scheduled to be playing on.............no longer can they take the more lackadaisical approach that most teams have taken most of the time........."one size fits all" for the entire team.

EDIT: BTW, "slippery soles" is not what you would want, in that you would not only encourage "stretch" injuries, you would create an environment which would result in the same joint injuries that you were trying to avoid.........but incurring them by a different mechanism.

TexanDave
08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Hopkins
Swearinger
Keenum and Yates

Playoffs
08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Injury on the playing field often is caused by the interaction between the athlete’s shoe and the field surface. In a literature review appearing in the relatively recent May 2013 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons...
MSR, great stuff Doc. Thanks.

Somebody please rep him for me, I'm outta bullets.

thunderkyss
08-08-2013, 04:59 PM

Quiz is the only thing I'm worried about right now. I want to see how good he really is. If we're just hearing coach speak about a guy we needed to play due to injury, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I'm expecting to see a man among boys. If he proves to be that, then I'll have some confidence in Wade Smith if he remains at the LG position. But if Quiz is out there flop'n on the ground like a fish out of water.... it's a bad omen guys, bad omen. & no amount of bad assery at WR/RB is going to help us with the QB we have behind center.

EllisUnit
08-08-2013, 05:29 PM
I want to see how case does, and see how jean looks. The WR competition appears to be one of the better ones and a lot of guys will be playing for a roster spot so i want to see us sling it around to see how these guys look.

thunderkyss
08-08-2013, 05:31 PM
So do alot of other folks, myself included, but his latest camp reviews have not been stellar. We'll see.

I think everyone is coming to the understanding that there never was a true competition for the #2 spot & Kubiak was just blowing smoke.

It is important that both Tj & Case be ready to play on a moments notice. They will be 2 & 2a

Brandon420tx
08-08-2013, 05:34 PM
I want to watch the UDFA WRs and see if one has potential to knockoff Jean. Jean will be a roster casualty anyway when Posey returns from PUP unless something hinky happens with Bonner

Scooter
08-08-2013, 06:12 PM
i think it's all been covered, but the young guys that are expected (hoping) to make an impact.

wide receiver - hopkins and martin especially. looking for confidence and decisiveness. if these guys can play it changes our offense dramatically.
offensive line - looking at Q and brooks. i'm hoping Q shows enough flashes to feel he can replace smith next season. brooks i want to see a much firmer grasp of the playbook. i dont worry about him physically, but any time i watched brooks last year he appeared lost and trying to catch up to the play.
keenum - i think he has the head and the arm to be a really good player, but i'm hoping to see the calm and command and leadership required to be a starter.
outside linebackers - we sucked here last season, and now have 5 new players (including merci) trying to be the sack master for wade's pressure happy defense. one of these guys is going to be a very wealthy guy, but which one?
swearinger - all of the talk is this guy is a vet already, but we heard that last year with martin who very much was NOT ready. i want to see control and conviction. wrap up tackles, not missing assignments, finishing plays - the things that come with being a pro, not a missile.

htownfan32
08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
You guys covered it all. I really want looks at Ben Tate too, because it's been a while since I saw the guy in game time action.

digitalswim
08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Is this game going to be televised live or do we have to wait for NFLN?

Rey
08-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Is this game going to be televised live or do we have to wait for NFLN?

Are you in Houston? If so, it'll be live on channel 13.

Wolf6151
08-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Things I want to see tomorrow night:

1. NO INJURIES, this is self explanatory and we've already got to many folks dinged up.

2. WR CORPS, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what Hopkins brings to the team, and also very eager to see if Martin has improved. Jean also needs to step up and soon or there might be a pink slip in his future very soon.

3. O-LINE, I want to see Brooks and Jones improve, and see what Queesenberry brings to the team. I want to see a cohesive unit that plays well together.

4. SWEARINGER, I hope he steps up big but honestly just want to see him begin to learn. I've got high hopes for him.

5. D-LINE, no injuries cause I think we're thin here but I want to see if Mitchell can hold down starter duties at NT and if Muir can provide some meaningful minutes. If these guys play well it takes alot of pressure off our thin LB Corps.

LikeMike
08-09-2013, 06:17 AM
I want to see NO INJURIES (on either side). That`s the biggest thing. Besides that I want to see the rookies and the second year players...

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
From what the Vikings are saying, Texans fans may be seeing few familiar players on the the field, especially if they blink. Looks like all teams seem to be more concerned this year about their vets making it to the regular season all in one piece. It'll be interesting to see if this trend makes it into the 3rd preseason game.

JCTexan
08-09-2013, 11:08 AM
From what the Vikings are saying, Texans fans may be seeing few familiar players on the the field, especially if they blink. Looks like all teams seem to be more concerned this year about their vets making it to the regular season all in one piece. It'll be interesting to see if this trend makes it into the 3rd preseason game.

Not really news. Kubiak said that 17-20 guys could sit. Kubes seems to have some beef with Minnesota's turf.

Rey
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Who have you heard is not playing for minny?

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Who have you heard is not playing for minny?

There is question if Peterson, Allen, Jennings, Rhodes or Bishop play a down.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Not really news. Kubiak said that 17-20 guys could sit. Kubes seems to have some beef with Minnesota's turf.

I was actually referring to Vikings players.

JCTexan
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I was actually referring to Vikings players.

Sorry, I realized my mistake after posting. I don't think it's that uncommon for teams to sit players for the first game though.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I realized my mistake after posting. I don't think it's that uncommon for teams to sit players for the first game though.

No problem. I could have made it clearer. But I have to disagree on the first game comment. In the past preseasons, starters have routinely made it out for one or two series at least. This year, it looks as if there is team wide hesitancy due to the inordinate number of player training camp injuries to date.

JCTexan
08-09-2013, 12:22 PM
No problem. I could have made it clearer. But I have to disagree on the first game comment. In the past preseasons, starters have routinely made it out for one or two series at least. This year, it looks as if there is team wide hesitancy due to the inordinate number of player training camp injuries to date.

There's no doubt that 20 players sitting is a bit extreme. It's not too uncommon to see players like Peterson, Foster & Andre sit the first game.

Have you noticed any other teams in the league sitting so many players outside of Minny/Houston? I have to admit, waiting for the Texans-Vikings tonight, I haven't watched one preseason game yet.

DX-TEX
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
There's no doubt that 20 players sitting is a bit extreme. It's not too uncommon to see players like Peterson, Foster & Andre sit the first game.

Have you noticed any other teams in the league sitting so many players outside of Minny/Houston? I have to admit, waiting for the Texans-Vikings tonight, I haven't watched one preseason game yet.

Most teams are sitting starters. All those hamstrings and ACL's poppin have everyone worried.

Mr teX
08-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Is that you, Kubiak? LOL!
kinda funny but i've come to the realization that i'm actually old enough now to call these 20 something's kids now...feels :smiliedance:...and then :scare: at the same time.

76Texan
08-09-2013, 01:58 PM
kinda funny but i've come to the realization that i'm actually old enough now to call these 20 something's kids now...feels :smiliedance:...and then :scare: at the same time.

I know exactly what you mean, heck, Kubiak is a couple years younger than I am, LOL.
I knew about him when he was at St Pius X high school while I was at UH.
No, I didn't attend any of his games, but I was a stats guy, and so I collected stacks of local newspapers and his name was in there.

And it was still funny to me when I first heard of Kubiak calling the guys "kids".

Anyway, is it game time yet?
Man, I can't wait to watch some Texans football.

Playoffs
08-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Is this going to be the game thread???

Or this: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101225

Edina (Minnesota) players share practice field with NFL's Texans (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/219042831.html)

Defensive end J.J. Watt also spent five minutes talking with the Hornets and urged them to ‘take care of business’ in school.
You won’t see defensive end J.J. Watt on the field with his Houston Texan teammates Friday but a whole bunch of Edina High School football players did.

They got a post-practice speech from Watt, too.http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/219042831.html

Playoffs
08-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Not playing tonight:
Andre Johnson
J.J. Watt
Antonio Smith
Johnathan Joseph
Brian Cushing
Whitney Mercilus
Greg Jones
Owen Daniels
Wade Smith
WR Alan Bonner
CB Brandon Harris
LB Evan Frierson
DE Delano Johnson
DE Earl Okine
OT Brennan Williams
LB Cameron Collins

Little warm ups video: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/On-the-Scene-Texans-at-Vikings/ba04cdd5-6e2e-47cb-bc76-e56658bfc075

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
No game thread? or will this be it? I haven't seen ThaShark on in a while, he was the one who made them, iirc

SAMURAITEXAN
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
The game is about to start!

Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Not playing tonight:
Andre Johnson
J.J. Watt
Antonio Smith
Johnathan Joseph
Brian Cushing
Whitney Mercilus
Greg Jones
Owen Daniels
Wade Smith
WR Alan Bonner
CB Brandon Harris
LB Evan Frierson
DE Delano Johnson
DE Earl Okine
OT Brennan Williams
LB Cameron Collins

Little warm ups video: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/On-the-Scene-Texans-at-Vikings/ba04cdd5-6e2e-47cb-bc76-e56658bfc075

Don't tell me they are going to throw Montgomery in tonight!:vincepalm:

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM

I wanted to see Mercilus play tonight.

spurstexanstros
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Go Texans! SA is rooting you on!

Playoffs
08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
No, he said he wasn't playing. Took that list off Texans website.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
:gun:

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
I wanna see our special teams not fall apart right away.

Oh.

Well, never mind,

TheMatrix31
Damn special teams, man.

srrono
come on def

srrono
08-09-2013, 07:08 PM
keo! wow I see ya there

Playoffs
Bullock kickoff ~7 yards deep.

SAMURAITEXAN
INT!!! He he

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Damn special teams, man.

Coach Joe is a great guy.

Austrian
Keo with the pick off a tipped pass. Does anybody want to open a game day thread?

OzzO
Keo with the pick off a tipped pass. Does anybody want to open a game day thread?

I think this is it.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Please do it Austrian!

TheMatrix31
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Keo is garbage but that was a nice play. Boy I'd really love for him to improve his game. Would make me feel a LOT more comfortable.

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Bullock kickoff ~7 yards deep.

I know this is preseason and you want to see what your coverage team can do (actually I don't)............but this is the perfect example for why you might want to have your kicker be able to kick it out of the EZ every time.

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:12 PM
D Johnson has some quick feet

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I don't want "Dre J" to stick for DeAndre (apparently Andre Jr)

SAMURAITEXAN
08-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Bullock looking good.

Goodwrench3
Nice kick

Austrian
Nice kick there by Bullock.

TheMatrix31
Beautiful kick, Bullock. More of that.

Rey
Sharpton looked good on that blitz...he caused the bad throw....

Oh ****z!!

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Gig 'em, Randy :)

OzzO
48 yard FG for those keeping track

htownfan32
No return. Well done, Bullock.

Jeez, this is a really nice change from last season.

Rey
08-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Bullock!!! Oh ****!!!

TheMatrix31
Man, Bullock's kicking is gonna give me a hardon if he keeps this up.

SAMURAITEXAN
TB! That's what I like to see from kicker.

Rey
08-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Mays with a nice tackle.

htownfan32
Great penetration by Earl Mitchell.

Rey
Earl!!!

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Mitchell again. Dang, I like this :)

OzzO
Lookit the big man push in the middle! Get em Mitchell

Rey
Earl!!!

Reed with good pressure!!!! Zomg!!!!

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Carmichael just got burned

Goodwrench3
Hell Yeah, Mitchell!!!!!!!!

SAMURAITEXAN
Sack! Mitchell looking great!

GuerillaBlack
Ahhhh those third downs man.

Rey
Roc...SMH!

Goodwrench3
Ouch

TheMatrix31
Nice coverage Brice.

cstyle42
Carmichael just got burned

Not surprised I wasn't fooled by his hype.

Austrian
08-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Roc fell down.

Rey
Willie didn't look good on that stunt...

Our db's looking suspect...

ArTex
Earl Mitchell = PRO BOWL

*obligatory overrating preseason review*

CloakNNNdagger
Notice how many players have already slipped all over the field.........I'm getting real schzitted re the possibility of injuries before the game is over.

cstyle42
08-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Earl Michell looking good

Goodwrench3
Keo sucks, damn

Rey
Earl!!! Str8 beasting!!!

Austrian
Earl looks really good.

SAMURAITEXAN
Mitchell looking like a beast!

Rey
08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
That height from Willie was nice there.

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Jefferson... good lawd he's tall

cstyle42
08-09-2013, 07:23 PM
There goes Willie Jefferson!

GuerillaBlack
Big Earl has been holding it down. Excited to see what he has this season.

Goodwrench3
Nice pressure now

SAMURAITEXAN
Jefferson tipped a pass on last play!

Ryan
Earl could be a breakout player this year.

CloakNNNdagger
Before getting too excited, keep in mind that Mitchell is being pitted against a low round right guard rookie.

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Before getting too excited, keep in mind that Mitchell is being pitted against a low round right guard rookie.

Weird, I thought the announcers stated the entire starting line for Minny was in

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Better than getting not getting over on a low round RG rook :runaway:

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Time to get a look at Yates

Goodwrench3
08-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Yates time!

BullBlitz
08-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Notice how many players have already slipped all over the field.........I'm getting real schzitted re the possibility of injuries before the game is over.

I noticed the same thing.

htownfan32
08-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I hope Yates is just nervous... overthrowing.

OzzO
TJ looked a little antsy

BullBlitz
TJ. Throw it where they can catch it.

CloakNNNdagger
Ok..........seen enough of Yates.........:vincepalm:

Austrian
TJ a little off this series.

Goodwrench3
08-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Ouch.. too high

SAMURAITEXAN
Damn, what a punt!

Lucky
Yates time!
TJ needs to settle down. Overthrowing everything.

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Ok..........seen enough of Yates.........:vincepalm:

Couldn't agree more. I want to see Keenum.

Goodwrench3
08-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Lechler is awesome. what a punt

cstyle42
Willie Jefferson ballin

AngryNateFTW
Where did Mitchell come from????? :eek:

OzzO
Too Tall Jefferson ;-)

GuerillaBlack
Go play basketball Willie.

SAMURAITEXAN
Although I am Case's fan, give TJ more chance.

htownfan32
Smart play by Roc
edit: burned by Patterson

CloakNNNdagger
08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
What? ........only a 58 yd punt?...........throw the bum out!

SAMURAITEXAN
08-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Man, I like what I see from Jefferson!

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Was that Roc that didn't wrap up?

Yep

htownfan32
Swearinger's in on the plays. I like this guy. He gets to the ball.

TdotTexas2Step
Swearinger time.

Goodwrench3
Damn Roc

Lucky
08-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Nice blitz call by Wade results in pick.

htownfan32
Underthrown ball and Pleasant cut the receiver. Well done Eddie, I think he's been listening to Ed. :D

Austrian
Pleasant with the pick.

SAMURAITEXAN
INT!!! Nice pressure from D!

CloakNNNdagger
:vincepalm::vincepalm:

Goodwrench3
08-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Wooooooooooooooooop Eddie!!!

CloakNNNdagger
Another field slip

TdotTexas2Step
Announcers giving a lot of love to DJ on that series and his ability to roam middle field on his own.

TexansFight
TJ Yates sucks. I can't wait until Case gets in. Nice run by DJ

Austrian
Nice run by Dennis Johnson.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Johnson with a good run!

Goodwrench3
Woow, nice run, Dennis

htownfan32
Yates is looking rusty. He needs to play his natural confident game.

TexansFight
How can TJ Yates look worse his 3rd year than his rookie yeat

CloakNNNdagger
Get Carr out of there!!!!!

Say Watt
This far, Dennis Johnson and Swearinger look legit. Also like Jefferson if he can learn some more moves. Yates looks pathetic. Not a fan.

Goodwrench3
08-09-2013, 07:38 PM
WTF Yates

CloakNNNdagger
How can TJ Yates look worse his 3rd year than his rookie yeat

Practice!.......Lots of practice!

htownfan32
Sweet special teams play by Bouye

TexansFight
Bouye nice play!!!

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Get Carr out of there!!!!!

Haha!!! I am getting some slight flashbacks of the old #8....

AngryNateFTW
3rd and long, run or screen. (Never a normal pass)

Kubiak's 3rd down offense sucks.

Lucky
Another field slip
The field sucks. But, isn't it preferable to play on a slippery field as opposed to the old turf that caused the shoes\cleats to stick?

CloakNNNdagger
Great smarts by Bouye!

OzzO
Boo yah!... err... Bouye!!!!

AngryNateFTW
Great catch by Bouye.

SAMURAITEXAN
Bouye with nice play.

thunderkyss
08-09-2013, 07:40 PM
That sack was stupid.

All that other stuff doesn't really matter. That sack was the kind of mistake he can not make. He saw the play wasn't there, he tried a second chance it wasn't there..... he knew he had no protection, the smart play was to throw it away.

3rd & 10 is much better than 3rd & 14.

Thorn
What a drop off from Schaub to Yates. Yates isn't looking good. That 3rd string RB is doing a great job.

CloakNNNdagger
The field sucks. But, isn't it preferable to play on a slippery field as opposed to the old turf that caused the shoes\cleats to stick?

Slipping causes just as many joint injuries.......but in addition cause many more soft tissue tears.

ArTex
08-09-2013, 07:41 PM
YEEAAH, BOOUYEEE

http://ken-jennings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/flavor.jpg

Lucky
Practice!.......Lots of practice!
And he's been coached up for 3 years. So TJ has that gonig for him.

Malloy
Underwhelmed by Yates so far.. Pre-season and all.. but still...

HTown2ATX
08-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Mitchell has looked great, like seeing Hopkins and LeStar....hoping to see Keenum soon with the 2's and see if all the hype in camp on 610 is legit.

Love how even in pre season Kubes loves the safe plays....fap fap fap

Lucky
08-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Patterson looks good for the Vikes. Not smart enough to play for the Texans, though.

TexansFight
08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
TJ Yates is probably the only QB to regress in progressing under Kubiak's tutelage

Lucky
Yuck.

TexansFight
****ty play by DJ

AngryNateFTW
08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
So..Jungle Boi and our entire 2nd team defense need to learn to tackle..

Goodwrench3
That was ridiculous..

Say Watt
Woo... Glad that I didn't post what I was about to post before that last missed tackle happened...

Austrian
That's on Swearinger.

Thorn
08-09-2013, 07:46 PM
The tackling would have been comical if it wasn't so sad.

thunderkyss
08-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Welcome to the NFL Dj, Pleasant, Carmichael.....

Oh wait, Pleasant & Carmichael been here.

gafftop
08-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Seen enough of TJ, Roc let others play.

Goodwrench3
So much missed tackles

gafftop
Wake up call for 36. Better now than later

Lucky
08-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Can TJ please get Hopkins the ball? Please.

OzzO
08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Can TJ please get Hopkins the ball? Please.

there ya go

thunderkyss
08-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Is that Tyler Clutts?

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Gosh TJ looks like complete garbage. Wow...

ObsiWan
How many is that Yates has had batted back to him?

gafftop
I like Johnson.

Goodwrench3
Tj looks terrible tonight

Say Watt
Finally a decent theiw

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 07:52 PM
How many is that Yates has had batted back to him?

2 or 3. At least 2.

Goodwrench3
finally a good play

ObsiWan
Is it me or is our O-line getting whupped up on by the Vikes?

gafftop
08-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Alternate QB's. I don't care how much taller Yates is. Let us see apples vs apples

HTown2ATX
08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Is it me or is our O-line getting whupped up on by the Vikes?

It's not you, but I'm not worried....pre season. I just want to see what Keenum has and if the hype out of camp is legit so I hope he comes in soon.

Lucky
08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Another preseason of the broadcast team of Meyers and Tillman. #wherearemyearplugs?

gafftop
08-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Glad to see another back in.

ObsiWan
08-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Okay, now Yates is settling down a bit.

C.Wood looked a little slow getting to the edge

mariowillshine15
08-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Hopkins!

TexansFight
08-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Horrible throw great catch!!!

HTown2ATX
Fuq yes!

Austrian
What a grab!!

SAMURAITEXAN
Wow! Hopkins!

Goodwrench3
What a catch

Lucky
Wow, that's how to track the ball!

ObsiWan
suh-WEEET!!!

way to make your QB look good Nuk

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Can't wait to see that a few more times this season. feels good.

Say Watt
Deandre!!!!! Oh man!!!! That was awesome!!!

htowntexans1985
Hopkins=BALLER

thunderkyss
08-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Horrible throw great catch!!!

Where did you want him to throw it?

Haterade be strong with you brotha

Thorn
That was a terrific catch.

gafftop
I'm just smiling

GuerillaBlack
Am I the only one with a messed up broadcast?

Edit: okay nevermind.

Vance87
08-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Oh mah word.

:texanbill:

Say Watt
Technical difficulties? Wtf?!?!?

Thorn
Channel 13 and their superb coverage comes through again.

Lucky
Why couldn't we lose the audio and not the video?

ObsiWan
:vincepalm: @ Ch 13

Rey
08-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Abc 13 should lose their game showing privileges. This is ridiculous.

Say Watt
That was so exciting. Good grief. Hopkins is so ****ing legit. Wow. I don't know what else to say except wow.

Thorn
When are the Texans going to dump this stupid channel and find someone else to those their preseason games? It's always something with this stupid channel.

Say Watt
Why couldn't we lose the audio and not the video?

:spit:

Showtime100
08-09-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't think I've ever watched a Texans preseason game without a major malfunction brought to me by the crew of Channel 13.

Rey
08-09-2013, 08:04 PM
That catch by Hopkins was beautiful.

TexansFight
08-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Wasn't it just last year 2012 that the jokers on Ch 13 got HD for the games which is absolutely ridiculous.

TexansFight
08-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Lost signal now!!!!!

Rey
What is this ****ty ****!

GuerillaBlack
Ch 13 man, they need to get this **** situated.

ObsiWan
Why don't they lose the signal during the commercials??

TexansFight
08-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Give us the Vikings feed!!!

disaacks3
I don't think I've ever watched a Texans preseason game without a major malfunction brought to me by the crew of Channel 13.

And the failures keep on coming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OzzO
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a tv station?

Coolhandsluke2
Great I'm not the only one getting pissed at the Crap TV feed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Goodwrench3
Nice coverage

OzzO
08-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Nice coverage ABC has ROC coverage

Goodwrench3
I'm watching the game here: http://firstrownow.eu/watch/200020/1/watch-houston-texans-vs-minnesota-vikings.html :texanbill:

Showtime100
Nice coverage

Wish I could say the same for KTRK :gun:

Rey
Dennis Johnson is struggling.

ObsiWan
08-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Aaaaand we get the signal back during the timeout

classic

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Typical Kubiak on third down. Why?

ObsiWan
Got there just about one step too early

OzzO
Wait... Joe Marciano is one of the best?