PDA

View Full Version : Where do Texans Rank in the AFC ???

EllisUnit
08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
I know these things are getting old, i am so ready for the season to start. Hell i'm even excited for pre season which i'm usually not. Amazing how we go from not near the best a few weeks ago to the class of the AFC haha.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/NFL_Network_Texans_the_team_to_beat/1d7364db-f08b-4e13-821b-448ac1528bba

What really surprises me is how high Deion Sanders is on us, cause in the past it seemed like he always had it out for us.

Corrosion
08-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I have to put them #1 or #2.

Their chief competition - NE , Baltimore and Denver have all either gotten worse thru FA losses or injury while they have the majority of their core together for a few more seasons.

NE Lost literally their entire receiving corps.

Baltimore .... wow what an exodus

Denver got better at WR but worse at LBer as well as injuries on the OL. Peyton cant be Peyton laying on his back.

Cincy might make a jump this year ..... but I cant see Indy duplicating their season.

The only team I can say I feel threatened by is Denver in the AFC .... and that's highly questionable dependent upon how their new center performs - IE: Keeping Peyton upright.

Allstar
08-05-2013, 10:01 PM
I do not believe we can beat New England.

Texan_Bill
08-05-2013, 10:12 PM

I think that changes this year!!

That said, I'll go back into my cynical self. As my Avi states; "Mediocrity Lives Here"

SOOOO, we'll see!

EllisUnit
08-05-2013, 10:14 PM

I do, Kubiak will have to leave his comfort zone, but i believe we can beat them.

revan
08-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Care to elaborate on why we wont beat them?.

PapaL
08-05-2013, 11:01 PM

Until we thump them convincingly, I concur. We went from Manning beating our ass to Brady. Gotta punch a bully in the mouth. Right now they've taken our lunch money.

Corrosion
08-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Until we thump them convincingly, I concur. We went from Manning beating our ass to Brady. Gotta punch a bully in the mouth. Right now they've taken our lunch money.

They have also taken a significant step backwards in terms of personnel .... You don't lose all those receivers and expect to have the same potent offense.

Defensively they aren't all that either , their offense , particularly Brady has covered up their weaknesses there over the past decade or so.

That team goes as Brady goes .... and I don't expect the same Brady we've come to expect because he has .... a buncha nobody's to throw to.

Vinnie
08-05-2013, 11:35 PM
We also didn't have Cushing in either of those games we played against them. Hopefully that's not the case this year.

MEGA SWATT
08-06-2013, 02:03 AM
We also didn't have Cushing in either of those games we played against them. Hopefully that's not the case this year.

Yep.....

DexmanC
08-06-2013, 02:28 AM
On paper, the Texans will enter the season as the most talented team in the AFC, and they have got the coaching to match. It is gonna be a very interesting season.

TheMatrix31
08-06-2013, 04:15 AM
Our inability to beat NE is a bit misleading. In the MNF game, a completely avoidable bad start spiraled out of control.

Corrosion
08-06-2013, 06:35 AM
On paper, the Texans will enter the season as the most talented team in the AFC, and they have got the coaching to match. It is gonna be a very interesting season.

You are one of the few who believe the bold.

I wont argue the point - Just naking a statement.

Yes , it seems that things are falling the Texans way thus far.

clutch
08-06-2013, 06:52 AM
The way I see it..as of now..there are 2 teams in each conference that are superbowl contenders...houston and denver in the afc..greenbay and san francisco in the nfc...

Scooter
08-06-2013, 06:53 AM
You are one of the few who believe the bold.

i certainly believe it. when we didnt have a running game matt schaub lead the league in passing with only andre and daniels as real threats. we get a running game and arian foster is #1 in the league. we've now found balance and are top 10 across the board in what's called a down year - with only andre as a real receiving threat. we sent 3 offensive linemen to the probowl (yeah i dont see how wade got in), and teams are jumping all over our castoffs. all while focusing most of the resources on defense.

wade phillips i dont think there's much to say, and our assistant coaches are getting a ton of praise.

marciano is the only weak link.

as for where to rank them, it's gotta be at the top. because i believe we have great coaching, and we hit big time filling needs this offseason without losing anything, i think we went from a top 4 afc team to probably the head of the pack.

Thorn
08-06-2013, 08:31 AM

I agree with you. On paper, the Texans look like a contender for the crown. But, having lived in Houston my whole life and have never experienced any crowns but basketball ones, I'm skeptical for now.

But this does appear to be a good year in the making for the Texans. Of course I said the same thing last year as well. And the year before that.

deucetx
08-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm not putting the Texans ahead of a team they have yet to beat recently. Paper doesn't win anything so going by that I find pointless. So until we beat the Patriots (which we are capable of I feel) they are the better team. Just like I'm not with the rest of the sports world putting the Broncos ahead of the Texans since they lost in their own stadium in a game they never really had control.

So I guess if I had to rank them I would have them at 2nd in the AFC at this point. In truth, all the top AFC teams are interchangable with each other. All comes down to matchups so any of the four could get there. Couple more teams rising but until you see it, it's just paper. Part of the reason I could care less about the receiving corps the Patriots have. Brady is still the QB and he has worked with no-name receivers/running backs before. Nothing new there.

nero THE zero
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I wouldn't have a problem ranking them anywhere 1-4 in the AFC.

The top 4 teams are NE, Denver, Houston and Baltimore in whatever order tickles your fancy.

What's curious to me is that I saw two different national media guys ranking the Texans 6th and 7th in the AFC recently behind the likes of Cincinnati and Indianapolis. You can reasonably put the Texans behind Denver, NE and Baltimore, but when you start putting them behind Indianapolis and Cincinnati you are just begging for clicks.

ObsiWan
08-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Top teams (clearly the class of the AFC):
Baltimore
Denver
Houston
New England
note: I alphabetized the list so nothing is implied by the order.

So I agree - on paper - we're among the best

BUT...
all of the top tier teams have questions.

Baltimore - will their defense be the same after losing Sugar Ray and Ed Reed? Can Flacco repeat the magic (luck?) he had during last year's SB run?
Denver - Lost key pieces to F/A and injury. Plus there's the "Why does Peyton seem to fade in the playoffs factor? Yeah, he'll get you there but then what?
Houston - Can Schaub step up big in primetime? How will the 2013 version of Wade's D perform?
New England - Brady has taken a no-name group of receivers to the playoffs before; can he do it again?

I think we're probably #2 if I had to rank the top teams. Of the teams on the list, we're the only one w/o a QB with SB experience. That's big.

PapaL
08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
They have also taken a significant step backwards in terms of personnel .... You don't lose all those receivers and expect to have the same potent offense.

Defensively they aren't all that either , their offense , particularly Brady has covered up their weaknesses there over the past decade or so.

That team goes as Brady goes .... and I don't expect the same Brady we've come to expect because he has .... a buncha nobody's to throw to.

I don't disagree at all. Right now they are in our heads though. We were probably more talented during the other 2 beat downs as well. As long as Brady has all day to throw, he'll eventually find someone. Doesn't matter is Curly, Larry, and Moe are their WR/TEs. Belichick is great at putting guys in position to do what they do best.

76Texan
08-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Texans rank number one for sure...

Ties with the other fifteen teams in the AFC.

Rey
08-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm very tempted to put us at #1.

I think if Reed is healthy and playing with Swearinger back there in those special packages, it greatly improves our pass defense against those top QB's. I really like Brooks Reed as the SOLB in this defense. I think he's perfect for that position. I think if Cushing is healthy, we will be fine at ILB. I love the talent on the DL. I think we are really good at corner. I'm worried about the pass rush from the outside. WOLB sets the tone in the outside pass rush, and I am not sure Merciless is that guy. I honestly wish we could re-do that pick, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I hope Jefferson makes the team because I think he could actually be one of the better pass rushers here. Hopefully Trevardo and Mont provide some value as well. But overall, I think the defense is solid. I think Merciless can be a good player, but I'm not sold on him as a weakside pass rusher at all. But overall, I don't think he sucks at all. I think he can be solid. So basically, the areas of most concern on the team for me (WOLB, ILB next to Cush) I think we will at least be solid.

I think defensively, if we remain healthy we can be THE #1 defense in the league. I think we should be top 5 easily.

Offensively, I think we will be very productive once again and I think Brandon Brooks is going to beast. I think Hopkins is going to beast. Al I need is for Schaub to stay consistently good throughout the year. Nothing flashy...Just be good all year long and into the play-offs.

If we can do that I think this team is playing in the superbowl. I think the team is THAT good. Another year of OTJT for Kubiak...Wade getting more toys to play with and getting Cushing back...

I'm expecting a great year for this team if we stay healthy.

Porky
08-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Something not talked about in here, but what might be the Achilles heel of the team is the elephant in the room - the special teams.

Can Bullock be the man? Will Shane's leg be last year's version? Or back to his golden years? Returns were very subpar, and coverage was lousy. All in all, the Texans weren't just a little subpar, they were awful, and that's a long way to come back from in one season with the same coach.

Bullock strikes me as boom or bust. I'm not doubting his leg, but K is also a very mental position. When it's 23-23 and no time left on the clock, will he step up mentally, or wilt under the pressure? He is a complete unknown and it bothers me that some kind of competitor wasn't brought in to camp to help push him and give him some comp, especially given the lofty expectations this year.

TexanSam
08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
I would say #1 or #2. I think Denver will finish with the top seed, but that's not a for sure thing. Talent wise, the Texans are the best team.

Norg
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
this will be a weird year in the AFC IMO

and think Finallllyyy both NE and Denver will be just utter dog poo and one team will be like top 10 draft pick bad

but then obvs teams will fill that void

I think Dolphins and like KC will both be like 10+ win teams

and the Texans will face one of them in the div round and they will prob give us a Hell of a battle

Porky
08-06-2013, 01:13 PM

and think Finallllyyy both NE and Denver will be just utter dog poo and one team will be like top 10 draft pick bad

and the Texans will face one of them in the div round and they will prob give us a Hell of a battle

NE and Denver will be dog poo, and one will have a losing record and get a top ten pick?

I'll take that bet. :kitten:

ObsiWan
08-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Texans rank number one for sure...

Ties with the other fifteen teams in the AFC.

or we're tied for last with all the other teams, depending on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.
:bender:

ATXtexanfan
08-06-2013, 01:40 PM
I will take texans at 1 in talent. Yet schaub still gotta get it done when it matters most

thunderkyss
08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Their chief competition - NE , Baltimore and Denver have all either gotten worse thru FA losses or injury....

Or have key players facing life in prison.

thunderkyss
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
I will take texans at 1 in talent. Yet schaub still gotta get it done when it matters most

I here ya. But that OL needs to do it's thing when we need them, & that defense need to do it's thing as well.

Our TEs need to catch TDs thrown to them when they're perfect.

But you're right, we may be #1 right now & we can be #1 through week 14. But if we're not the best team come February, what difference does it make?

Corrosion
08-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I would say #1 or #2. I think Denver will finish with the top seed, but that's not a for sure thing. Talent wise, the Texans are the best team.

NE and Denver will be dog poo, and one will have a losing record and get a top ten pick?

I'll take that bet. :kitten:

Denver could be .... really good. IF they can keep Peyton upright. They did improve their WR corps , probably the leagues best group top to bottom. If they can keep Manning upright , they are hard to beat.
But with all those injuries to their OL ... Its highly questionable that they keep him upright .... and he is pretty old and not that fleet of foot. If they don't get their act together up front , Manning might not finish the season.

If he fails to finish the season , they aren't a very good team.

NE .... Its all on Tom Brady. He lost his top three targets .... He'll have to make their replacements look like all pro's. He has the ability to do that ... but its a tall task to ask him to do so for a full season ... then the tougher competition in the playoffs. I could see them @ something like 9-7 / 10-6.

I have to put the Texans above NE at this point .. Not so much above Denver , those two are interchangeable at the top IMO.

Norg
08-07-2013, 02:56 AM
if Denver loses Manning then u think they could be colts bad think they would lose manning and there starting Center

but if the Texans lost Schaub Knocks on wood I think they already proved they can win games with TJ yates or Keenum

DX-TEX
08-07-2013, 03:35 AM

Mark my words: pats get 7 wins at best.

thunderkyss
08-07-2013, 08:27 AM
if Denver loses Manning then u think they could be colts bad think they would lose manning and there starting Center

but if the Texans lost Schaub Knocks on wood I think they already proved they can win games with TJ yates or Keenum

Denver was winning games before Manning got there & they'll win games after Manning moves on. That's no different than us & Schaub. Sure we can win with Tj, but our win rate is much higher with him than without.

Corrosion
08-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Denver was winning games before Manning got there & they'll win games after Manning moves on. That's no different than us & Schaub. Sure we can win with Tj, but our win rate is much higher with him than without.

Yeah but Denver had a unique QB before Manning arrived (Tebow threatened teams on the ground) .... Now they have Brock Osweiler , Zac Dysert & Ryan Katz behind him.

They don't have Manning under center , they might not win a game with the rest of that group. That makes those injuries on their OL critical.

The Texans have proven to some extent they can win with Yates .... Denver without Manning .... not so much.

Rey
08-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Denver didn't get Von Miller by being a good team.

One thing I feel confident in Kubiak to do is to not have this team picking in the top 3 if Schaub goes down *knock on wood*.

ChampionTexan
08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Yeah but Denver had a unique QB before Manning arrived (Tebow threatened teams on the ground) .... Now they have Brock Osweiler , Zac Dysert & Ryan Katz behind him.

They don't have Manning under center , they might not win a game with the rest of that group. That makes those injuries on their OL critical.

The Texans have proven to some extent they can win with Yates .... Denver without Manning .... not so much.

I disagree with this. Tebow may have led some last minute comebacks with his legs, but the 2011 Broncos were more than anything a product of their defense, and it got better last season. I just don't believe it would be that difficult to find a QB serviceable enough to keep them from being a bottom ten scoring team like they were that season. It will be interesting to see how the deal with the loss of Dumervil, but last season they were top 5 in total D, rushing D, passing D, and scoring D.

Manning or no Manning, that defense is going to win them some games.

Also, FWIW, if Osweiler's still around when Peyton decides to hang it up, I think they'll be in good hands.

JCTexan
08-07-2013, 04:24 PM
I disagree with this. Tebow may have led some last minute comebacks with his legs, but the 2011 Broncos were more than anything a product of their defense, and it got better last season. I just don't believe it would be that difficult to find a QB serviceable enough to keep them from being a bottom ten scoring team like they were that season. It will be interesting to see how the deal with the loss of Dumervil, but last season they were top 5 in total D, rushing D, passing D, and scoring D.

Manning or no Manning, that defense is going to win them some games.

Also, FWIW, if Osweiler's still around when Peyton decides to hang it up, I think they'll be in good hands.

Not taking anything away from their defense, but Denver went 8-8 in 2011. They made the playoffs solely because they played in a crappy division. They weren't winning many games before Manning got there.

To the thread question: I think the Texans are anywhere from 1-3 with the Broncos & Patriots. The Patriots had Houston's number last year so I have them #1. Denver & Baltimore lost some key players to Free Agency, so I have Houston #2, followed by Denver #3. I will probably have the Bengals winning the AFC North, so logic says Bengals at #4.

Vinny
08-07-2013, 04:25 PM
The key to this entire season is playing in Houston for the AFC title. Denver is a tough place to win historically, thin air and all. New England is another place we don't want to play a winner-take-all game. I think we beat anyone else, home or away. Bengals will be good this year too, but we seem to own them.