PDA

View Full Version : Eagles WR Riley Cooper in deep you know what due to using N word ...

Hookem Horns
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Video of him saying he will "fight every n*gger here" at a Kenny Chesney concert. Maybe this should be in the NSZ, not sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dEQxO8Yuas

This has me confused, he supposedly was mad because he had earlier gotten into an altercation with some white kid. I also don't see any black people around, AND this is a Kenny Chesney concert. This leads me to believe he is calling other whites the N word or maybe he was referring to the security guards?

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
In a few years, the N-word will be totally devoid of emotional content and will be like "homies" or "dude" or something and something else will take its place.

Rey
07-31-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't even care. He was with his friends (although, I'm not sure if his friends are really his friends if they're posting this on youtube). But anyways, people say things with their friends ...It's not like he was singling out some black dude and calling him a ******. I think he was just hyped up and was talking isht.

Heath Shuler
07-31-2013, 07:01 PM
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/marcusvick.jpg

TheMatrix31
07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Dumb****s. The both of them.

thunderkyss
07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
No biggie.

He's going to apologize in the next few days & everything will be right as rain.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Marcus Vick? Dude even in the nfl

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 07:36 PM
If recent history has taught me anything it's that calling someone else ni&&er is ok. Isn't that what trayvon martins gf said?

Texn4life
07-31-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't even care. He was with his friends (although, I'm not sure if his friends are really his friends if they're posting this on youtube). But anyways, people say things with their friends ...It's not like he was singling out some black dude and calling him a ******. I think he was just hyped up and was talking isht.

Apparently he acknowleged that he was upset because security wouldn't let him backstage. He said and acknolewged that the security guard was black. His timing of this whole thing isn't probably the best after Deen and the Martin case so I wish him luck. He'll probably need it getting through this with just a fine.

Texn4life
07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
If recent history has taught me anything it's that calling someone else ni&&er is ok. Isn't that what trayvon martins gf said?

Pretty sure that's not what she said and she doesn't speak for me, my family, or any other black people that I know.

ArlingtonTexan
07-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Dumb****s. The both of them.

oh so true

PapaL
07-31-2013, 07:50 PM

Like he even has $1k. Pffft, stop spending your brothers money bro.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Pretty sure that's not what she said and she doesn't speak for me, my family, or any other black people that I know.

She said that's a way of referring to a friend or someone you know.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Hey in sure Michael gives Marcus an allowance.

Texn4life
07-31-2013, 09:47 PM

Again, go back and read the comment and what she said. She tried to make a point of the final couple of letters of the word and wasn't exactly representative of many black people I know.

Hookem Horns
07-31-2013, 10:12 PM

She also said calling someone a "creepy ass cracker" was not racist. That girl clearly lacked any sense at all.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 10:44 PM
She also said calling someone a "creepy ass cracker" was not racist. That girl clearly lacked any sense at all.

That's because creepy ass cracker IS racist. But she called him creepy ass 'cracka'. And since she changed the ending is is clearly NOT racist.

Rey
07-31-2013, 10:53 PM

Not sure if I understand your comment...what's your point?

Rey
07-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Apparently he acknowleged that he was upset because security wouldn't let him backstage. He said and acknolewged that the security guard was black. His timing of this whole thing isn't probably the best after Deen and the Martin case so I wish him luck. He'll probably need it getting through this with just a fine.

I still don't care really. He didn't say it to the guys face so he's either a coward or he was just showing out in front of his friends. Either way, it doesn't matter to me.

Brisco_County
07-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Very disappointing. I expected more from Marcus Vick.

Texn4life
07-31-2013, 11:09 PM
I still don't care really. He didn't say it to the guys face so he's either a coward or he was just showing out in front of his friends. Either way, it doesn't matter to me.

I'm with you. He's not the first and won't be the last. His teammates that he goes to war with have seemed to back him. Hopefully, its just an expensive, drunk lesson learned for him.

chicagotexan2
07-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Not sure if I understand your comment...what's your point?

Exactly. what's the point when I hear more black people call each other that word than I hear whites or Latinos using that word then who gives an eff what this idiot cooper says. He's gonna catch hell and deservedly so but how many of the people that give him schit for saying have no problem saying it themselves. Let him give some bs scripted apology and get over it since its such a common and benign thing to say.

Hookem Horns
07-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Let him give some bs scripted apology and get over it since its such a common and benign thing to say.

He has already done that ..

"I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself," Cooper said in a statement. "I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, to Jeffrey Lurie, to Howie Roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9526303/riley-cooper-philadelphia-eagles-issues-apology-uttering-racial-slur-video

Rey
08-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Exactly. what's the point when I hear more black people call each other that word than I hear whites or Latinos using that word then who gives an eff what this idiot cooper says. He's gonna catch hell and deservedly so but how many of the people that give him schit for saying have no problem saying it themselves. Let him give some bs scripted apology and get over it since its such a common and benign thing to say.

That's probably one if the silliest things I've heard in a while. You think because two people that are comfortable calling each other something, you should be able to use that language too?

You think if you hear me call my wife baby, and slap her ass you should be able to get away with it?

Don't be ridiculous. It's just a fact of life that certain people/groups will use terms with one another but if a stranger or someone not within that circle uses that term it will be looked at as offensive.

This stuff is taught in grade school man. There's different levels of language and several factors determine what language you use. Who you are talking to and where you are play a major role in the type of language you use. I've heard some Hispanic students joke around calling each other wetbacks. I'm not about to go up to some student and call them a wetback.

I figured your comment was a bunch of non sense but I just wanted to make sure. Not even sure why people care what two other people are comfortable calling each other or what someone says amongst their friends.

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2013, 12:29 AM
You think if you hear me call my wife baby, and slap her ass you should be able to get away with it?

oh

ooops...

I apologize, man. I thought it was cool.

:kubepalm:

badboy
08-01-2013, 12:35 AM
I actually thought his apology would be something like "you mean there was actually a black person at a Chesney concert? I thought I was safe. Who would have guessed?"

Playoffs
08-01-2013, 12:42 AM
This was the lead story on ESPN...

Alex Rodriguez is about to get a lifetime ban and this was the lead.

Brisco_County
08-01-2013, 01:17 AM
This was the lead story on ESPN...

Alex Rodriguez is about to get a lifetime ban and this was the lead.

Sports media is no different from mainstream media.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 01:22 AM

I think the idea is that a football player, such as he, represents the team & the NFL. His insensitivity can potentially reflect poorly on those organizations. It doesn't matter what you or I think, he'll most likely be apologizing because the Eagles & the NFL are worried about their "image"

Just like your boss (if you have a boss) has to make sure you have a respectable work environment. Even if something "seems" harmless, he can't allow it in the workplace.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 01:29 AM
...since its such a common and benign thing to say.

I hope it's not a common thing to say.... I know it was not benign (unless I forgot what benign meant).

I actually thought his apology would be something like "you mean there was actually a black person at a Chesney concert? I thought I was safe. Who would have guessed?"

Sounded like Keney Chesney (sp) is an equal opportunity employer, so.... he was referring to the help.

Corrosion
08-01-2013, 03:35 AM
I've been thinking about racism and the "heat" racists take in todays society and have to wonder .... what's the big fuss?! If someone's a racist , what's it really matter to the rest of us .... ?!

I really don't care who's racist , gay , homophobic , doesn't like dogs or whatever .... they really don't matter to me.

Why make such a big deal out of it and give them attention ?!

IDEXAN
08-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Let me see, 100 % of the NFL corners are black and 99.98 % of the NFL safetys
are black and there job is to hit WRs. Then there's what, 2 or 3 white WRs in the whole league and one of those white guys uses the N-word and it goes viral ? And oh yea, this guys own teams #2 WR just went out for the season with an ACL giving him the best chance of his NFL career to become a starter, and he does this ? Wow, just Wow !

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I've been thinking about racism and the "heat" racists take in todays society and have to wonder .... what's the big fuss?! If someone's a racist , what's it really matter to the rest of us .... ?!

I really don't care who's racist , gay , homophobic , doesn't like dogs or whatever .... they really don't matter to me.

Why make such a big deal out of it and give them attention ?!

I've had the same thought, but I know as soon as someone comes out of the closet, then everything (s)he does will be looked at through that prism.

Oh, he didn't hire that guy.... must be because he's a racist. Oh, he suspended that guy... must be because he's a racist. Of course he was going to get the promotion, so & so is a racist.

I think most people who are racist try to separate business decisions from personal decisions. Like I don't particularly care for the alternative sexual relationships. But I don't hold it against the people that I interact with, at least to the best of my knowledge.

But once you put it out there, you've got to deal with perception.

HoustonFrog
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm expecting many DBs to be jawing at him and picking fights with him regarding this comment during the season.

Texan_Bill
08-01-2013, 10:27 AM

:spit: Right! LMFAO!

Hookem Horns
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Roger Goodell was just on the Mike and Mike show talking about how disgusting, appalling, etc this was, he then followed that conversation defending the use of the Redskins name. What a pathetic hypocrite.

Rey
08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
I think most people who are racist try to separate business decisions from personal decisions.

Probably depends on the decision that's being made...

If they need someone so that they themselves can benefit, then yeah...They might swallow hard and do what they have to do...

But that's really what we all do when we deal with someone we don't like for one reason or another.

But when it comes to being in a position of authority, if you don't like someone for whatever reason, it's probably going to show. But the difference between not liking someone because of something they said or did and not liking them because of their race is that one of those has a chance to at least be rational and understandable.

There is nothing rational about racism, so I don't see how racist people would be expected to make rational decisions. I almost view racism as a mental illness/disorder. If you are racist I don't trust you to make sound decisions at all. Once I find out you are a racist or have a strong bias against a certain group of people simply based on race, I don't want anything to do with you. You are sick. You need help.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM
ND just said something on 790 that got me thinking.

If you get mad at your wife & call her a btch.... does that mean you think she's a btch? does that mean hate women? Does that mean you don't love her?

With that same process in mind, dude here got mad at a security guard, his friends egged him on, he said something stupid. Does that make him a racist? I mean, we know the guy showers with black Americans all the time. No one noticed an issue before.

Rey
08-01-2013, 10:53 AM

If you get mad at your wife & call her a btch.... does that mean you think she's a btch? does that mean hate women? Does that mean you don't love her?

With that same process in mind, dude here got mad at a security guard, his friends egged him on, he said something stupid. Does that make him a racist? I mean, we know the guy showers with black Americans all the time. No one noticed an issue before.

I don't know him, but I wouldn't say that this alone classifies him as a racist.

That said, I'd never call my wife a *****.

Texan_Bill
08-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Let me see, 100 % of the NFL corners are black and 99.98 % of the NFL safetys
are black and there job is to hit WRs. Then there's what, 2 or 3 white WRs in the whole league and one of those white guys uses the N-word and it goes viral ? And oh yea, this guys own teams #2 WR just went out for the season with an ACL giving him the best chance of his NFL career to become a starter, and he does this ? Wow, just Wow !

WTH??? What happened to Jason Sehorn? :kitten:

chicagotexan2
08-01-2013, 11:06 AM
That's probably one if the silliest things I've heard in a while. You think because two people that are comfortable calling each other something, you should be able to use that language too?

Don't be ridiculous. It's just a fact of life that certain people/groups will use terms with one another but if a stranger or someone not within that circle uses that term it will be looked at as offensive.

This stuff is taught in grade school man. There's different levels of language and several factors determine what language you use. Who you are talking to and where you are play a major role in the type of language you use. I've heard some Hispanic students joke around calling each other wetbacks. I'm not about to go up to some student and call them a wetback.

I figured your comment was a bunch of non sense but I just wanted to make sure. Not even sure why people care what two other people are comfortable calling each other or what someone says amongst their friends.

Don't lecture me on what is appropriate and what in not. I know damn well that the word is an insult. It should be, but when I hear so many everyday black people use the word and so many black entertainers use the word to make money then I just assume anyone who uses it is an ignorant jackass. But I'm don't playing this silly game of 'since I'm black I can say it but you can't or the equally idiotic argument of 'well by changing the ending from gger to gga it makes it'd cool and ok. Eff that. Your gonna use the use expect the repercussions then apologize and move and get over it.

HoustonFrog
08-01-2013, 11:07 AM

I agree. The guy MIGHT not be racist. The issue is he plays in a league where a majority of players are not of his race. So maybe teammates can see through it. But I'm not sure if opposing players won't want to light him up. I also think some teammates might be thinking, "where did that come from?" It sucks that he might get painted with a broad brush but the seed was planted and can't be undone.

Hookem Horns
08-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I agree. The guy MIGHT not be racist. The issue is he plays in a league where a majority of players are not of his race. So maybe teammates can see through it. But I'm not sure if opposing players won't want to light him up. I also think some teammates might be thinking, "where did that come from?" It sucks that he might get painted with a broad brush but the seed was planted and can't be undone.

In thinking about it, it's their job to "light him up" anyway. They should be going at him at full speed regardless.

Now will someone try to put a cheap shot on him and gladly take the 15 yard penalty, fine, and possible suspension because of this? We'll see.

Rey
08-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't lecture me on what is appropriate and what in not. I know damn well that the word is an insult. It should be, but when I hear so many everyday black people use the word and so many black entertainers use the word to make money then I just assume anyone who uses it is an ignorant jackass. But I'm don't playing this silly game of 'since I'm black I can say it but you can't or the equally idiotic argument of 'well by changing the ending from gger to gga it makes it'd cool and ok. Eff that. Your gonna use the use expect the repercussions then apologize and move and get over it.

You sound more and more ridiculous with every word you type.

Normally the people that I see that get the most upset about this is because they want to use the N word, but don't want to say it in the wrong place and come off as being an insult.

Otherwise you just sound like a little old lady peeking your head over the fence to see what your neighbors are doing just to be nosy. Why you care what another person is ok hearing from one person but not another is beyond me.

You sound frustrated. But hey, if you feel like you should be able to freely say ****** this and ****** that because some black people say it, then go ahead. Otherwise, what exactly is your point?

Rey
08-01-2013, 11:20 AM

There quite possibly could be some extra aggression when players go up against him.

But I think it will be because he said he'll whip every ******'s ass in there. I think it's going to be more of an "Oh yeah..So you whippin' ******s asses now, huh?" type of thing...

He could have replaced the "N" word with "black dudes"...And I think the results are still the same. Youre going to have people wanting to crush him for thinking he can randomly whoop up on any black dude in the building...The N word is just more inflamatory.

Texan_Bill
08-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Of course he would say something completely stupid like that. He was at a Kenny Chesney concert so obviously his judgement was already skewed.

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Of course he would say something completely stupid like that. He was at a Kenny Chesney concert so obviously his judgement was already skewed.

^^^ This.

:bravo:

IDEXAN
08-01-2013, 12:02 PM
WTH??? What happened to Jason Sehorn? :kitten:Been out of the league for 10 years. Oh, and don't mention Pat Fischer either because he's now 70 something.
Ketchup T_B !

Say Watt
08-01-2013, 12:12 PM

ND Kalu is the man. It's people like him that are the only way this country will ever get anywhere close to becoming "colorblind". He is exactly 100% right on this.

What Cooper said was completely stupid. In this day and age, you have to believe there are ALWAYS cameras on you and anything you say can and will be used against you. That said, I doubt his teammates have ever thought the guy had a racist bone in his body. He got pissed at a black guy and in an effort to try and offend the black guy as much as possible, he dropped the n-bomb. The ***** analogy is perfect. ****** would be another good analogy of a word that is offensive but that is used sometimes in disgust towards a homosexual. Doesn't mean the person "hates" gays or women.

chicagotexan2
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
You sound more and more ridiculous with every word you type.

Normally the people that I see that get the most upset about this is because they want to use the N word, but don't want to say it in the wrong place and come off as being an insult.

Otherwise you just sound like a little old lady peeking your head over the fence to see what your neighbors are doing just to be nosy. Why you care what another person is ok hearing from one person but not another is beyond me.

You sound frustrated. But hey, if you feel like you should be able to freely say ****** this and ****** that because some black people say it, then go ahead. Otherwise, what exactly is your point?

No child- the issue I have is many of the people who act all butthurt about this are many of the same fools that have no problem saying the word themselves or no problem when other black people throw it around no non chalantly.

hot pickle
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm sure 90% of the people here have used a racial slur at one point in time. the difference... we are not in the NFL and it wasnt put on youtube. so everyone arguing is pointless. its a non issue. after week 1 this will be a non story

Rey
08-01-2013, 12:34 PM
No child- the issue I have is many of the people who act all butthurt about this are many of the same fools that have no problem saying the word themselves or no problem when other black people throw it around no non chalantly.

Your "issue" is your ignorance or you being purposefully obtuse. You don't want to be lectured but don't understand that the same word can be used and in one case it's seen as not offensive and in the other situation it's seen as offensive based on who's saying and the context it's used in.

I've seen white guys jokingly call each other cracker or honky and I've seen Hispanic people jokingly call each other wetback. I've also seen women call each other heffer...or even *****. But I guess I have enough common sense to know that they weren't saying it in an offensive way and if I said it randomly to them or about them they'd likely consider it offensive.

But I guess basic understanding and common sense eludes some folks.

Playoffs
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Sports media is no different from mainstream media.

I don't see CBS Evening News leading with: No-Name, Backup NFL Wide-Receiver Use The N-Word, then following with:

In other news, Major League Baseball about to hand out unprecedented suspensions & bans in worst cheating scandal in history.

More Nancy Grace than the Worldwide Leader In Sports, imo.

Dumb. What's funny is the knucklehead saying he's going to kick butt on all black persons at the Kenny Chesney concert. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

badboy
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I think discernment should be the key word. I can scream "you bunch of cream pies" to my friends (hefty or not) and get a different reaction at a WeightWatcher's convention. It then becomes more significant if I yell "I will beat every cream pie in here."

As a kid the rule was say what you want but be ready for the consequences.

The1ApplePie
08-01-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't see CBS Evening News leading with: No-Name, Backup NFL Wide-Receiver Use The N-Word, then following with:

In other news, Major League Baseball about to hand out unprecedented suspensions & bans in worst cheating scandal in history.

More Nancy Grace than the Worldwide Leader In Sports, imo.

Dumb. What's funny is the knucklehead saying he's going to kick butt on all black persons at the Kenny Chesney concert. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

Sports news is driven by ratings and money just as the mainstream (or non-mainstream) media is. No one gives a crap about baseball anymore, and everyone is tired of hearing about roids in baseball. NFL is king, hence the media coverage.

Same reason the news carries the royal baby (sorry Mom!) and Zimmerman over revolutions and war crimes. They drive ratings.

infantrycak
08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Your "issue" is your ignorance or you being purposefully obtuse. You don't want to be lectured but don't understand that the same word can be used and in one case it's seen as not offensive and in the other situation it's seen as offensive based on who's saying and the context it's used in.

I've seen white guys jokingly call each other cracker or honky and I've seen Hispanic people jokingly call each other wetback. I've also seen women call each other heffer...or even *****. But I guess I have enough common sense to know that they weren't saying it in an offensive way and if I said it randomly to them or about them they'd likely consider it offensive.

I don't understand why people can't see your point - context matters. For instance a group of girls of any racial makeup starts hanging out together, they will start teasing each other. Some groups will never go beyond very bland teasing. Others will start calling each other b!tch, skank, etc. The intent is well known to the group and the tone of voice should be an obvious signal to others. If all the significant others are also part of the group everyone will start thinking nothing of the guys using the same terms. BUT someone from outside the pack comes in and has the temerity to just jump right in and hackles are going to raise. That's even for a friendly use. Make it a hostile use and you are right back to the original insulting nature of the term no matter what. Context matters - joking around with partying friends is very different thatn trying to provoke a fight.

Hookem Horns
08-01-2013, 01:44 PM
* he would never use that word in the streets of Philly
knowing he would end up a casualty

Depends on which street. I worked in Philly for a couple of years. I heard that word used more freely there than anywhere I have ever lived.

He would be right at home in one of the Italian or Irish areas.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 02:58 PM
That said, I'd never call my wife a *****.

That was ND. I'd never do it either, but I figured it was some cultural example.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 03:01 PM
He got pissed at a black guy and in an effort to try and offend the black guy as much as possible, he dropped the n-bomb.

To be clear, the black guy that upset him never heard him utter the word. What we saw on the video, he was telling his friend what he would do to all the people back stage that fit that description.

He was showing out for his posse, not trying to offend the offender.

thunderkyss
08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

It's not always an insult. It's an ugly word, but someone like Ice Cube can use it as a bond of brotherhood in some occasions & at other times as an insult.

Alan Keyes should never say the word. Like me, it would come out as unnatural. It's not in our normal speech patterns. It's not "the way we talk" & anyone would be able to pick up on it. The word means something in particular to me, I think it means the same to Alan Keyes, & you could hear it in our inflection.

Similarly most non black Americans should never use the word. Same reason Alan Keyes & I should never say it. At the same time, there are a few that can pull it off. I can't think of any off the top of my head right now... maybe Marshall Mathers.... maybe Justin Beiber..... Bill Clinton could probably say it no problem.

But it's not the word that's an insult, it is what is meant when it is said.

hot pickle
08-01-2013, 03:46 PM
When they interviewed mike vick about it, it just seemed like he wanted to say.. "Man whooo cares" lol

Hookem Horns
08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
The black guy's not buying the apology at the press conference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQiLD_mCMAAQe9K.jpg

The1ApplePie
08-01-2013, 04:23 PM
I really hope the re-show the ****er Guy episode of South Park soon.

Texn4life
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
The black guy's not buying the apology at the press conference.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQiLD_mCMAAQe9K.jpg

I couldn't help but laugh at that. He does have that look like he's not buying the BS.

hot pickle
08-01-2013, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrUkeYxUF0

Hookem Horns
08-01-2013, 04:56 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/970654_198513173647293_176747151_n.jpg

HoustonFrog
08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Seems many aren't buying it and what some of us talked about earlier...opposing players motivation..is in motion

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9529464/lesean-mccoy-philadelphia-eagles-loses-respect-riley-cooper-slur

LeSean McCoy said Thursday that, like teammate Michael Vick, he forgives Riley Cooper for his use of a racial slur but that it has changed his relationship with the wide receiver, who he had considered a friend.

"I forgive him. We've been friends for a long time," the running back said Thursday. "But in a situation like this, you really find out about someone. Just on a friendship level, I can't really respect someone like that."

Will Allen and Barry Church, starting safeties for the Dallas Cowboys, believe Cooper's words will make him a target on the field.

"Absolutely. I'm just going to be honest," Allen said Thursday. "You don't want to see that somebody is going to be mad and perpetuate the negativity. I don't think it's something that we should do. I'm sure it will happen."

"There are going to be players in the league that definitely are going to put a target on him," Church said. "For me individually, if he apologized, I have no wrongdoing for him or harsh feelings for him. But there's definitely going to be a target on him from other players in the league. I can tell you that much."

TheIronDuke
08-01-2013, 08:14 PM
This is so ****ing stupid. If a black guy in a group of black guys called a white dude a cracker or whatever, no one would give a crap, including myself. It's a friggin word, people need to get a grip.

Texn4life
08-01-2013, 08:27 PM
This is so ****ing stupid. If a black guy in a group of black guys called a white dude a cracker or whatever, no one would give a crap, including myself. It's a friggin word, people need to get a grip.

People keep saying this, but I've asked and can't find one example of this happening. I'm not talking about rappers, singers, and any other type of artist. I'm talking about someone in the sports world where sponsors play a huge role.

I'm in the group that's personally not up in arms because it looks like he'll never have a good relationship with his teammates again. If one of my friends was caught talking like this it was cause me to re-evaluate our friendship as well. Its hard to trust a guy you feel like may be hiding some hatred for you or people like you. To me, this boils down to those relationships and the relationship with the organization. It'll never be the same again right or wrong.

StarStruck
08-02-2013, 02:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwrUkeYxUF0

That was funny as **ll to me. Again speaking solely for myself, given the make up of the NFL, if Cooper had sounded as if he had adapted in the culture that uses the word in everyday vocab, then I would think, uh, ok. But, on the other hand, kneegar (?), scratching my head, don't know about that one, bro.

TexansSeminole
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Ultimately, he will get released. Decisiveness in the locker room kills teams and this does nothing but divide the locker room. He's not that good of a player either.

Hookem Horns
08-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Ultimately, he will get released. Decisiveness in the locker room kills teams and this does nothing but divide the locker room. He's not that good of a player either.

He already has the first foot out the door.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9531873/riley-cooper-philadelphia-eagles-leaves-team-counseling

cbs1507
08-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Is it me or does it seem like nowadays white people get more offended than black people when **** like this happens? Why is this even a story?

Texn4life
08-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Is it me or does it seem like nowadays white people get more offended than black people when **** like this happens? Why is this even a story?

If you have to ask this question then there's a bigger problem than we know in this country. Look at the reaction at Ole Miss when Obama was re-elected.

His black teammates don't trust him anymore. I see nothing wrong with it. If I was recorded saying "I'll F up any (insert whatever white derogatory name you wish) in here", I would expect my white friends to look at me a little sideways for a while. I honestly think it will and should blow over, but right now they feel like the guy they knew showed an ugly side of himself they didn't like.

I wish every person could sit down with an older black person who really had to face racism in the south. I sit down with my grandmother about once a week who is 86 and its crazy to hear some of the stories she went through. We talked today about the ugliness of the word and how it makes her cringe every time she hears it. I also talked to my dad who expressed his frustration with the younger and sometimes older black generation using the word and how he doesn't like it. Neither of us ever involve it in our vocabulary, but the ugliness of the word being used in the way Cooper did can't be ignored.

Rey tried explaining the difference of it being used between other black people and the way Cooper used it. Is it right? Maybe not, but as of right now it is what it is.

Blake
08-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Disclaimer: I dont like Josh Innes, but thought his take was funny.

He and Lord was discussing the Cooper comments vs. the Jones homeless stomp. They both felt that Jones stomp was a bigger story because its assault vs. hurtful words, but we are so focused on race issues right now that its being blown way out of proportion. Josh says that nobody talks about the Jones stop as a black on white hate crime, but if it was white on black people would see it as a hate crime, then he jokingly says he thinks Jones stomped on the homeless guy because he was white.

Texn4life
08-03-2013, 11:58 AM

He and Lord was discussing the Cooper comments vs. the Jones homeless stomp. They both felt that Jones stomp was a bigger story because its assault vs. hurtful words, but we are so focused on race issues right now that its being blown way out of proportion. Josh says that nobody talks about the Jones stop as a black on white hate crime, but if it was white on black people would see it as a hate crime, then he jokingly says he thinks Jones stomped on the homeless guy because he was white.

Well we could assume that, and then dig into the victim's many arrests to try to justify why he deserved it including that he's a heavy drug user. There's also some kind of sex offender arrest on his record too. That's what we do these days right?

Blake
08-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Well we could assume that, and then dig into the victim's many arrests to try to justify why he deserved it including that he's a heavy drug user. There's also some kind of sex offender arrest on his record too. That's what we do these days right?

Comical statement. I assume you are talking about TM. I dont recall anyone saying he deserved it.

Texn4life
08-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Comical statement. I assume you are talking about TM. I dont recall anyone saying he deserved it.

How convenient

TheMatrix31
08-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Too bad Roddy White and Victor Cruz didn't catch the same flack Riley Cooper is getting for the things they've said recently, but I suppose it's too much to expect that.

htownfan32
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
How convenient

No one was saying it outright, but a few posters on that thread were trying really hard to tear down Martin in an attempt to show why it was okay that GZ shot him.

Lucky
08-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Cooper is a fringe player who can't survive controversy. If he were a starting WR, he would survive this.

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Too bad Roddy White and Victor Cruz didn't catch the same flack Riley Cooper is getting for the things they've said recently, but I suppose it's too much to expect that.

What did they say?

Corrosion
08-05-2013, 03:27 AM
No one was saying it outright, but a few posters on that thread were trying really hard to tear down Martin in an attempt to show why it was okay that GZ shot him.

The only reason it was "OK" (within the law) was GZ getting his head bashed in and "fearing for his life and or wellbeing" and responding to force with force.

If GZ didn't have a broken nose & abrasions on the back of his head , he's likely sitting in a cell waiting for a ride to the neighborhood prison.

Race and past history don't matter one iota in deciding the guilt or innocence ...

TheMatrix31
08-05-2013, 04:05 AM
What did they say?

http://twitchy.com/2013/07/14/atlanta-falcons-roddy-white-runs-an-out-pattern-zimmerman-jurors-should-go-home-and-kill-themselves/

and

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/07/13/Victor-Cruz-Zimmerman-Tweet

thunderkyss
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
http://twitchy.com/2013/07/14/atlanta-falcons-roddy-white-runs-an-out-pattern-zimmerman-jurors-should-go-home-and-kill-themselves/

and

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/07/13/Victor-Cruz-Zimmerman-Tweet

I see. You obviously don't understand what the outrage is about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Texecutioner
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM

You want a double standard to exist only for "your race." We get it, you want special treatment. You've made that very clear in here many times. But make no mistake about it, YOU are the one who is ignorant here.

Texecutioner
08-05-2013, 10:26 AM

Oh, but you didn't see just as many doing that to Zimmerman and even taking it further by confirming his guilt before the trial even took place or even paying attention to the trial?? Lol!

Man, you guys only like to see things one way and that is mainly because of how the media controls you guys like robots.

Hell, this guy looks like a moron for saying this in the manner he did especially where people were able to put it on film, but the fact that this is a high story when there are so many other real "football" stories taking place ought to put some common sense in some of you guys that the media is just trying to stir things up with race for ratings and controversy, and you guys eat it up. Let a player like Cam Newton say something similar and it wouldn't hit the back page news. However if it did, a lot of you would probably call them enlightening.

The1ApplePie
08-05-2013, 10:30 AM

If there was video of a homeless guy getting stomped, then it would be a bigger story. Cooper's story went viral and keeps getting refreshed.

A guy stomping on a homeless guy simply because he can should be a bigger story than it is. Jones comes off as a world-class POS. Cooper just comes off as an entitled white trash moron from Florida.

Double Barrel
08-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Man, you guys only like to see things one way and that is mainly because of how the media controls you guys like robots.

Funny, because Fox News zombies and Limbaugh's dittoheads (robots you say?) represent the the other side, influencing and brainwashing minds to side with Zimmerman, who appears to be some kind of white knight savior for some folks.

See, roads go both ways...if you're not stuck at a dead end, of course.

As far as the "n-word" (not directed specifically at anyone), are people really so obtuse that they are simply unable to understand the power of the word in context with our history? Or is rampant ignorance about our nation's history the cause here? It's mind-boggling that anyone would defend it as "just a word", because this mentality completely invalidates the history, intent, and suffering of those that have endured it as a very mean spirited and quite insidious representation of bad intentions.

I'm as far from "politically correct" as they come, but that does not mean I have to be a delusional moron about some of the issues that aligned with PCism. Genocide of the Native Americans and centuries of slavery of blacks are two of those issues. Today's realities are forged by these events, and only blatant ignoramuses are unable to comprehend the cause and effect cycles of history.

Mr teX
08-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Funny, because Fox News zombies and Limbaugh's dittoheads (robots you say?) represent the the other side, influencing and brainwashing minds to side with Zimmerman, who appears to be some kind of white knight savior for some folks.

See, roads go both ways...if you're not stuck at a dead end, of course.

As far as the "n-word" (not directed specifically at anyone), are people really so obtuse that they are simply unable to understand the power of the word in context with our history? Or is rampant ignorance about our nation's history the cause here? It's mind-boggling that anyone would defend it as "just a word", because this mentality completely invalidates the history, intent, and suffering of those that have endured it as a very mean spirited and quite insidious representation of bad intentions.

I'm as far from "politically correct" as they come, but that does not mean I have to be a delusional moron about some of the issues that aligned with PCism. Genocide of the Native Americans and centuries of slavery of blacks are two of those issues. Today's realities are forged by these events, and only blatant ignoramuses are unable to comprehend the cause and effect cycles of history.

:bravo: MSR...however, it's still a sad state of affairs that you had to come in here and explain this to folks...............in 2013.

b0ng
08-05-2013, 05:14 PM
good god I haven't looked in the Zimmerman thread since the verdict and I think I'm kind of glad about that since it's leaking all over the forums.

thunderkyss
08-05-2013, 06:18 PM
As far as the "n-word" (not directed specifically at anyone), are people really so obtuse that they are simply unable to understand the power of the word in context with our history? Or is rampant ignorance about our nation's history the cause here?

It's not that they are ignorant, it's that they think it was no big deal. Millions of people were slaves before black people were slaves in America. You don't here them whining about it.

Millions of people were systematically wiped out similar to the Natives of the American continents, way before Columbus took that left at Albuquerque, you don't here them complaining.

We're just too sensitive.

Playoffs
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Eagles announced WR Riley Cooper is back with the team and is scheduled to practice today.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
With Riley Cooper back at Eagles practice, one more look at the photo that defines this NFL off-season...

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/7b99af64fea811e2a7ab22000a1f97eb_7.jpg

DexmanC
08-06-2013, 11:38 AM
You want a double standard to exist only for "your race." We get it, you want special treatment. You've made that very clear in here many times. But make no mistake about it, YOU are the one who is ignorant here.

Seems like someone is feigning ignorance of historical context. It is IMPOSSIBLE for that one word to carry the same meaning for one race as it does for the other. When it comes to "the n-word," the double-meaning/standard is built into the word itself.

Yes, historical context matters A LOT when it comes to THAT particular word.