PDA

View Full Version : Predict the Texans' Rookie with the biggest impact in 2013

EVOLVIST
07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
So, yeah, which Texans' rookie to you predict had the biggest impact with the team in 2013?

You can define "impact" in any way you wish, but obviously the player stands out above the rest, even if you predict it will be marginally so.

I'm asking for realism, here; nevertheless, you can choose "other" because he's an alum from your grandmother's alma mater, or maybe a friend of a friend sells him weed...you catch my drift.

Me? I'm going with DJ Swearinger. Fast and furious. Non stop. I think he might be the best NFL-Ready pick we've had since Watt (and that's kudos to RS & Co.) I'm sniffing a little Earl Thomas here. I still predict Ed Reed will miss time, so Swearinger and D. Manning are the guys back there...in a big way!

JCTexan
07-30-2013, 01:04 PM
I have to go with Hopkins. He's going to start right away and he should give the Texans a legit #2 WR to go with AJ.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm expecting a lot from Hopkins. Even though this is a difficult offense for rookie WRs, I think he's going to do well.

At this point, I've got Quessenberry in second place. I think he's going to see some PT and do a surprisingly good job.

Wolf6151
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
It's hard to pick just one. I think Swearinger gets alot of playing time with the injury to Reed and thus has the most opportunity to make an impact. My pick is Swearinger as well. I really like Hopkins, but I just don't see Kubiak or Schaub trusting him alot in his rookie season. Also with AJ, OD, and Foster getting targeted more I don't think it leaves alot of opportunity for Hopkins to shine. I really like what I hear about this new UDFA Willie Jefferson, but I don't think Kubiak will trust a rookie much or give him much of a chance in real games.

Thorn
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
I can't see anyone but Swearinger being the Texans rookie of the year based on what is happening right now. Maybe that corner we got in the 2nd round has a chance to make an impact, but that's about it unless we get surprised by someone.

eriadoc
07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
I think Hopkins is going to be good, but rookie WRs have a tougher row to hoe than rookie defenders. With Ed Reed missing significant time, Swearinger's path to being a key contributor is a little more smoothly paved.

The other option would be one that everyone would overlook, and that's if one of the rookies takes over and holds down the RT spot. That would be exceptional, and everyone would still talk about Hopkins and Swearinger.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 01:13 PM
I can't see anyone but Swearinger being the Texans rookie of the year based on what is happening right now. Maybe that corner we got in the 2nd round has a chance to make an impact, but that's about it unless we get surprised by someone.

I have read this and it has confused me.

I read it again and it confused me even more.

Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS and he's the guy you mentioned. So... are you saying that Swearinger is going to be the ROY unless he beats himself out and wins it in an upset of himself?

Rey
07-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Hopkins with Swearinger close behind.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I have read this and it has confused me.

I read it again and it confused me even more.

Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS and he's the guy you mentioned. So... are you saying that Swearinger is going to be the ROY unless he beats himself out and wins it in an upset of himself?

Remember, Thorn is an alien, and as such, it seems perfectly reasonable that he has the ability to see the future.

I simply assumed that this means we will draft a CB in round two of the 2014 draft, and that CB will have such an outstanding rookie season, he will be awarded rookie of the year for both the current season and the previous one.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Rey
07-30-2013, 01:19 PM

I'm guessing you meant Hopkins with Swearinger maybe having a chance?

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Remember, Thorn is an alien, and as such, it seems perfectly reasonable that he has the ability to see the future.

I simply assumed that this means we will draft a CB in round two of the 2014 draft, and that CB will have such an outstanding rookie season, he will be awarded rookie of the year for both the current season and the previous one.

Not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Thank you for explaining. I don't know what I was thinking.

Playoffs
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Hmmm...... rookie.....

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Thinking/thinking-023.GIF

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/simpsons/homer-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thinking/smileys-thinking-705257.gif

still thinking.....

Thorn
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
:lol:

I got my names mixed up. Sorry guys. I meant the WR is the guy I think will have the most impact, not the corner.

Sorry for the confusion, but it was funny reading yall's posts!

Scooter
07-30-2013, 01:40 PM
i really think hopkins is going to have a julio jones type impact. he's getting coaching from the best in the game in andre, joseph and ed reed. kubiak and schaub are going to get him a ton of targets. i'm betting we see a lot of gameplans aiming at hopkins early in the game to pull the defense away from andre and foster. if he's the hard worker and talent that's being reported, i dont think a big season is out of the question.

swearinger would be a close second for me. it sounds like he's going to get a ton of playing time and take over glover quin's role. as long as he wraps up and keeps his aggression focused, he could have a big impact.

IDEXAN
07-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Swearinger is the guy we got in the 2nd round but he's not a corner, he's a SS
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

drs23
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
i really think hopkins is going to have a julio jones type impact. he's getting coaching from the best in the game in andre, joseph and ed reed. kubiak and schaub are going to get him a ton of targets. i'm betting we see a lot of gameplans aiming at hopkins early in the game to pull the defense away from andre and foster. if he's the hard worker and talent that's being reported, i dont think a big season is out of the question.

swearinger would be a close second for me. it sounds like he's going to get a ton of playing time and take over glover quin's role. as long as he wraps up and keeps his aggression focused, he could have a big impact.

Scooter saved me a lot of typing.

Thanks Scoot.

drs23
07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
On a different issue, why do you think we used such a high pick on a safety ? At the very least, why did we not use a 2nd round pick on a RT and one of the third round pics on a safety ?

Perhaps because the Dirty Birds had already pilfered Arthur Brown (at least in many fans eyes) and they knew Swearinger wouldn't be there in the third and they had already targeted Brennan Williams as the prospect they wanted at RT and were able to get him in the third.

There.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm voting for Quessenberry (sp??) Quiz..... I think he ends up starting at LG, owns, & goes to the pro bowl.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 03:10 PM

For years and years, many of us on this board have bitched and moaned about how bad our safeties are and how the FO never drafted a safety even though our safeties kept getting pantsed. THEN we convert Quin to Safety and bring over Manning and our defense gets better.

I think Smith just wanted to solidify that back-end for the foreseeable future.

Combine that with the following facts:
1. The coaches thought that Mitchell would be exactly what we needed at NT.
2. The coaches already had their eyes on some tackles that they were sure they could get later that could fill that RT role IF Newton wasn't ready... and I'm not convinced that the coaches haven't expected Newton to be ready in time for Game 1.

I think they expected to get EITHER Williams or Quessenberry. They wanted Williams more. And then Quessenberry dropped to a point where they couldn't ignore the value and they picked him up, too. If Williams had been drafted (which I think they expected), they would have taken Quessenberry with that pick.

3. I think the ILBs they had their eyes on were already gone.

So I think they would have gone ILB if the right guy had fallen, but the right guy didn't fall so they went to their backup option which was Safety.

infantrycak
07-30-2013, 03:31 PM

Crappy drafts are built on lining up needs and forcing them onto the available personnel.

drs23
07-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Crappy drafts are built on lining up needs and forcing them onto the available personnel.

Exactly, as has been discussed in infinity. See Cowboys.

Rick Smith has done a great job of drafting the consensus BPA at a position of need pretty much since he's been here. He sure took a lot of flack early on but outside of the folks who won't be pleased no matter what the FO does I believe most have come around to seeing that he's done a pretty good job. If not great even.

ATXtexanfan
07-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Dont see hopkins getting the targets.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Matt's going to throw the ball at least 30 times a game. Hop is going to be the third or 4th option, worst case scenario.

The targets will be there, he's just got to earn them.

drs23
07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Matt's going to throw the ball at least 30 times a game. Hop is going to be the third or 4th option, worst case scenario.

The targets will be there, he's just got to earn them.

And he will. Quickly. Hide-N-Watch.

Texn4life
07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm going to go with Hopkins. Think he'll have a really good year.

On another note, its very disappointing that our 2 OLB picks aren't showing much of anything so far. I know its still VERY early in camp, but it sounds like Jefferson is showing much more potential so far.

JCTexan
07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

It's hard to imagine Hopkins not getting the same amount of targets that Kevin Walter had last year. If Hopkins can match K-dub's production, he will have around 40 catches for over 500 yards. Not really lofty projections but I still think that would be the biggest impact from a rookie this year.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
It's hard to imagine Hopkins not getting the same amount of targets that Kevin Walter had last year. If Hopkins can match K-dub's production, he will have around 40 catches for over 500 yards. Not really lofty projections but I still think that would be the biggest impact from a rookie this year.

12 yards per catch. Might as well have kept Walter.

I think it would help the team more if Hop ended up with something more like 500 yards with 30 catches. 16+ ypc. That's explosive, that's a playmaker, that's someone you've got to account for, someone who commands attention away from Aj

12 ypc is a pretty good TE keeping your LBs busy.

JCTexan
07-30-2013, 05:56 PM
12 yards per catch. Might as well have kept Walter.

I think it would help the team more if Hop ended up with something more like 500 yards with 30 catches. 16+ ypc. That's explosive, that's a playmaker, that's someone you've got to account for, someone who commands attention away from Aj

12 ypc is a pretty good TE keeping your LBs busy.

My point was mainly about targets. Hopkins is replacing Walter as the Texans #2 WR. Why can't Hopkins get the same amount (40) of targets Walter got? If he gets the same amount of yards or more, it's hard to imagine that production won't have the biggest impact among the rookies.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 05:58 PM
My point was mainly about targets. Hopkins is replacing Walter as the Texans #2 WR. Why can't Hopkins get the same amount (40) of targets Walter got? If he gets the same amount of yards or more, it's hard to imagine that production won't have the biggest impact among the rookies.

Gotcha.

infantrycak
07-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Walter was targeted 68 times last season and caught 41. There is no reason in the world to think Hopkins won't get targeted as much or more.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Walter was targeted 68 times last season and caught 41. There is no reason in the world to think Hopkins won't get targeted as much or more.

Except that he'll be playing against NFL defenses which is something he's never done before. Getting open may not be as easy as we think.... & unless he & Schaub are really clicking, "open" may be more tightly defined for a good part of the season.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 08:21 PM

My initial thought when I first found out that we drafted him was that he'd be an upgrade over KW. I thought that he'd get at least the same number of targets and probably, since I expected him to be so much more than KW, I even thought that he'd catch as many balls as KW... in KWs best season.

So I was thinking about 60 catches at 15 ypc for about 900 yards.

After the initial flush of excitement, I think that might be too much to expect. A lot is going to depend on him making catches when he gets thrown to... unlike Martin.

This is a hard offense for rookies to pick up. So I'm going to halve that his first season and just go for about 30 catches for 500 yards.

That doesn't mean I'm not hoping for 60 catches for 1000 yards.

ATXtexanfan
07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Except that he'll be playing against NFL defenses which is something he's never done before. Getting open may not be as easy as we think.... & unless he & Schaub are really clicking, "open" may be more tightly defined for a good part of the season.

Good job. This was my thinking on the targets. In the end his numbers will be sexier anyways.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
07-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Swearinger, but it comes late in December after he collects 3 picks between Brady and Manning >>>>BOLD PREDICTION

infantrycak
07-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Well others seem to have made the transition:

Justin Blackmon - 133 tgts, 64 rec., 865 yds.
Michael Floyd - 86 tgts, 45 rec., 562 yds.
Kendall Wright - 104 tgs, 64 rec., 626 yds.

Doesn't appear matching Walter's targets is an out of line expectation.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Good job. This was my thinking on the targets. In the end his numbers will be sexier anyways.

I will think he was worth the pick & impacted the game if he can beat KDub's ypc. We need a WR2, not a flex TE.

I seriously doubt he'll get the targets or the catches Walter had. But I'm hoping 1 catch will impact the game as much as 3 of Walters.

AngryNateFTW
07-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Willie Jefferson with the Aldon Smith type rookie sack numbers.

I think he'll get 10 this season with an INT snatched out of the air JJ Watt style.

To those who picked Hopkins, I actually think Martin will have more receptions than Hopkins this season.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Well others seem to have made the transition:

Justin Blackmon - 133 tgts, 64 rec., 865 yds.
Michael Floyd - 86 tgts, 45 rec., 562 yds.
Kendall Wright - 104 tgs, 64 rec., 626 yds.

Doesn't appear matching Walter's targets is an out of line expectation.

If we had a gunslinger throwing him the ball there'd be no doubt in my mind. But we've got Joe Cool... calm, calculating, not taking chances, & while he can extend plays when needed, it doesn't happen as often as it would with Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Locker, or Kolb/Skelton would, giving the young'n a little extra time to work his way open.

They also didn't have an all-pro WR working the other side of the field, or an all-pro (I think he was an all-pro) TE working the middle of the field.

Goldensilence
07-30-2013, 09:27 PM
Picked Hopkins, but I think it'll,be neck and neck between him and Swearinger. Both will see lots of OR and I think both will do we'll despite difficult schemes to adjust to. I picked Hopkins because of the impact he can have if he consistently catches the ball and adds a legit second outside threat.

I do think overall this could be Smith's best draft haul. The past two years have been real good top to bottom.

badboy
07-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I am going with Trevardo Williams. He may not get many plays at first but he will have significant impact. Even if he does not get many sacks, I see him impacting the QB's decision. He has speed and vertical:
"In 50 games at Connecticut, Williams started 30 games at strong side defensive end and set a school record with 30.5 career sacks. The Jamaica native was first-team All-Big East as a senior with 11.5 sacks and had 12.5 sacks as a junior in 2011.
Williams had the best 40-yard dash (4.57) and vertical jump (38 inches) of any defensive lineman at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine. He also benched 225 pounds 30 times."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-sign-4th-round-pick-Trevardo-Williams/500a44df-fbdb-4e5c-97a8-454c32fd64dc

rmartin65
07-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Has to be Hopkins. He is going to get a ton of field time, and will see easier matchups than most rookie WRs thanks to AJ (and the Texans' offense in general).

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Has to be Hopkins. He is going to get a ton of field time, and will see easier matchups than most rookie WRs thanks to AJ (and the Texans' offense in general).

Good points.

I'll admit I'm looking at what happened with Martin, Jean, & Posey to gauge what we might see with Hopkins. But with Kevin Walter gone, DeAndre will be entrenched as the #2 WR, giving him more time to gain Schaub's trust & Schaub would know he has no choice.

I thought Schaub was clicking with Posey at the end of the season there. Hopefully he can get there with DeAndre sooner....... say midseason.

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Picked Hopkins, but I think it'll,be neck and neck between him and Swearinger. Both will see lots of OR and I think both will do we'll despite difficult schemes to adjust to. I picked Hopkins because of the impact he can have if he consistently catches the ball and adds a legit second outside threat.

I do think overall this could be Smith's best draft haul. The past two years have been real good top to bottom.

The 2009 and 2010 drafts were pretty good: Cushing, Barwin, Quin, McCain, Casey, and Jackson, Tate, Mitchell, Sharpton, Graham.

But it's going to be hard to touch any draft with JJ Watt in it. Especially if Derek Newton develops into what Kubiak expects him to be.

False Start
07-31-2013, 01:13 AM
I had a hard time picking between Nuk, and Swearinger. From what I've been reading and seeing about Nuk, I went with him him. I do think that Swearinger, and Travardo Williams will surprise Texans fans. The one player I'm worried about is Sonic Sam, I just have a feeling he will not live up to expectations his first season. :wadepalm:

IDEXAN
07-31-2013, 07:55 AM
Yep that's what I'm saying here, the Texans not only forced a position they also reached for a player at that same position.
And for those who think that the Texans had any intention of taking Quessenberry at the start of the Draft, that doesn't add up as they passed on him on their Board in the third (2 picks), fourth, and fifth rounds.
BTW, the San Jose OT had no problems with his length which many claimed was a reason for him not going higher: that's an arm length of almost 34 " and a wing-span of 81 ".
• David Quessenberry
San Jose St.
6'5
33⅞
10˝
81⅛
http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Yep that's what I'm saying here, the Texans not only forced a position they also reached for a player at that same position.
And for those who think that the Texans had any intention of taking Quessenberry at the start of the Draft, that doesn't add up as they passed on him on their Board in the third (2 picks), fourth, and fifth rounds.

The way teams construct and work their boards is very different than just creating a list of all the prospects available and then picking the top of their list whenever their pick comes along.

Teams go through and eliminate prospects based on a variety of criteria: scheme, team needs, etc. A team's list of players may only be 80-90 players long. And then they put a round grade on the prospects that are left based on where they think they can get that guy.

Once a team fills a team need, they usually eliminate those positions from their boards (unless they want to draft some competition or depth.)

So the way I believe it worked with Quessenberry was that they drafted Brennan Williams to compete with Newton and Harris for the RT spot. The way they had crafted their board, Quessenberry would have been a backup pick at that spot.

A couple of rounds go by and instead of drafting one of the guys they had targeted in that round, they drafted Quessenberry because they felt he was too good of a value to pass up. They hadn't expected for him to fall that far.

I'm basing my opinion on what Smithiak said after the draft in regards to Quessenberry.

Kubiak said the Texans expected Quessenberry to be drafted shortly after Williams went in the third round. When he was still there in the sixth, general manager Rick Smith decided to trade up eight spots to get him.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/T-Derek-Newton-expected-to-be-out-until-training-camp/5bae8afe-d417-4e70-beb8-e0579694d0db

There were other quotes floating around the time of the draft with Smithiak saying the same sort of thing. They chose Brennan Williams but they had Quessenberry rated at about the same spot in the draft. When he was still available. They traded up a couple of spots to make sure they got him.

Rey
07-31-2013, 10:12 AM
I might be the biggest Swearinger fan on the board, but Hopkins is going to have the most impact.

He's going to eat one on one coverage alive. He's going to make plays after the catch. He's going to make plays with DB's all over him. Just the nature of our offense combined with his ability...He's going to beast out this year...

ObsiWan
08-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Isn't Hopkins practicing against one of the best set of DBs in the NFL EVERY DAY? Are you saying our DBs suck compared to the rest of the league? Are you saying the knowledge A.J. et al. are passing along to him about what to expect won't take? Are you saying Hopkins sucks?

Hopkins is my pick.

And whichever guy we pick to to be the #3 RB - looks like D.Johnson right now - is my dark horse pick because I have little faith that Tate will be healthy all year. That guy will get more snaps than anyone currently expects; just like Forsett did last year

thunderkyss
08-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Isn't Hopkins practicing against one of the best set of DBs in the NFL EVERY DAY? Are you saying our DBs suck compared to the rest of the league? Are you saying the knowledge A.J. et al. are passing along to him about what to expect won't take? Are you saying Hopkins sucks?

I'm just saying, some guys look great in practice. Some guys play great when there's nothing on the line, when no one is taking score. Once games start, & a player doesn't get open on one play, doesn't make the catch on the second play, doesn't keep his feet in bounds on the next, or doesn't make his block... some guys are good with losing more times than not. The keep their heads, keep chopping wood, & eventually get better (Kareem). Some kids let it pile up, and eat away at them, and let the distractions get in the way of their growth (Okoye maybe??). Some guys try to be something they're not & never become anything..... (David Carr)

I'm hoping for the best for DeAndre, but there's a bunch of different ways this can go. Alls I'm saying is we don't know.

Corrosion
08-02-2013, 08:35 PM
The easy answer would be Hopkins .... But Im not going to take the easy way out here.

The guy who will have the biggest impact will be Swearinger. His taking over of the nickel safety spot that we have seen Glover Quin play the past couple seasons is going to be big , probably bigger in the grand scheme of the game than what Hopkins adds offensively.

Hopkins may have more snaps and some good stats ... but that nickel Safety plays a huge role in the success of this defense.

thunderkyss
08-02-2013, 08:51 PM
The easy answer would be Hopkins .... But Im not going to take the easy way out here.

You're right.... I'm going with Alan Bonner.

http://fantasyfootballwarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/6-Round-6-Tentative-Pick-25-Alan-Bonner-WR-Jacksonville-State-University1.jpg

Playoffs
08-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Biggest...

impact...

rookie...
http://www.piano.christrup.net/PIANO/FORUM/hmmm.gif

drs23
08-03-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm just saying, some guys look great in practice. Some guys play great when there's nothing on the line, when no one is taking score. Once games start, & a player doesn't get open on one play, doesn't make the catch on the second play, doesn't keep his feet in bounds on the next, or doesn't make his block... some guys are good with losing more times than not. The keep their heads, keep chopping wood, & eventually get better (Kareem). Some kids let it pile up, and eat away at them, and let the distractions get in the way of their growth (Okoye maybe??). Some guys try to be something they're not & never become anything..... (David Carr)

I'm hoping for the best for DeAndre, but there's a bunch of different ways this can go. Alls I'm saying is we don't know.

TK, you slayed me with this one. Where the hell did you get this? All Kubiak, AJ and Schaub can do is sing his praises as well as every reporter I've read that's attending training camp.

I agree that no one can tell the future but I can tell you one thing: Nuk is going to be a baller.

Scooter
08-03-2013, 06:26 PM
All Kubiak, AJ and Schaub can do is sing his praises as well as every reporter I've read that's attending training camp.

the way people are talking sounds a lot like training camp for our first round pick in 2011, it's getting pretty exciting.

drs23
08-03-2013, 08:03 PM
the way people are talking sounds a lot like training camp for our first round pick in 2011, it's getting pretty exciting.

Yeah, how awesome would that be!

bayoudreamn
08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
First, I want to give credit for a great thread. Not only to the OP, but to all the contributors......great stuff!!

I'm going with Hopkins because it'll be easier to see, but I think Hopkins and Swearinger are 1A/1B.

Hopkins: will explode. What he gives you that Kevin Walter never could (and I am a huge KW believer) is a target you can hit repeatedly. You had to work KW into availability, if you tried him 2-3 times in a row someone would jump his route. Hopkins seems to rise above the most pressure......the LSU game was unbelievable! :spin:

Swearinger: I agree about the Glover Quin comparison, he is going to eat that slot up!!!:roast:

ObsiWan
08-04-2013, 04:12 AM
there's a bunch of different ways this can go. Alls I'm saying is we don't know.

This is one reason why I threw in the 3rd string RB - it's still looking like D.J. right now - as my darkhorse. There's usually someone that comes out of nowhere that has a larger-than-expected impact. That Willie Jefferson cat looks intriguing also. Let's see what he does in preseason though...

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 07:40 AM
This is one reason why I threw in the 3rd string RB - it's still looking like D.J. right now - as my darkhorse. There's usually someone that comes out of nowhere that has a larger-than-expected impact. That Willie Jefferson cat looks intriguing also. Let's see what he does in preseason though...

Dark horse?? I'm looking at Alan Bonner, the next Percy Harvin.

drs23
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Dark horse?? I'm looking at Alan Bonner, the next Percy Harvin.

Dang TK, do you realize how BA that would be? I know Kubiak is really high on him per his endorsement to the press after the draft and during OTAs and TC. I read somewhere right after the draft that he was Gary's pick because he was really impressed by his explosiveness in and out of his cuts and reports to date indicate he has pretty good hands as well. If he can learn to be consistent he could prove to be a real steal.

Don't know if he ever will, but neither does anyone else. Guess this will enlighten us all as to Gary's talent evaluation skills.

steelbtexan
08-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Most likely Randy Bullock

Hopefully in a good way.

Trail.Blazr
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I initially wanted to pick Hopkins. But a couple of thoughts changed my mind. - I want to believe in a rookie Texan WR making a huge impact, but in recent years, just haven't seen it from anyone, so I'm a little reluctant to believe this is the year. I would like to be suprised, but I'm a big believer in the notion it takes a receiver 3 seasons to really get it in the NFL. Sure, there are exceptions each year. Hopkins could be that, but I know too little to think with any certainty we'll be lucky there.
- Houston's offense is really balanced. With the likes of Foster and Tate in the backfield and Andre, OD and Garrett to share catches with, I think its safe to hope Hopkins gets 3 or 4 looks a game and makes the most of them.

It's likely to me that Hopkins' biggest impact this year will be as a down field run blocker.

Reluctantly, Swearinger gets my vote. Ed Reed's health is of REAL concern to me. If/when he is out, this position will be a HUGE concern and I think in this scheme, it's a position more suited for reasonable expectation for 1st year greatness.

76Texan
08-08-2013, 11:07 AM
It's kinda funny how some folks thought I was down on Hopkins only to see now that many also don't want
to set their expectation up too high.

My original expectation was at low 30s for Hopkins, IF the core starters and rotational players remain relatively healthy.

My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell. The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver.

If some guys miss time, Hopkins should see more targets.
If he can learn those tricks of the trade early, he will earn the confidence of Kubiak and get more looks from Schaub.
Hopefully, he doesn't get down on himself like KMart and lose some confidence, and that he doesn't lose his focus like Jacoby.

If he can continue to improve on his phisicality, I could see a revision upward to the high 30s, and gravy if he gets more.
I'm gonna go with Hopkins over Swag if he can demonstrate this in the pre-season.

drs23
08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
It's kinda funny how some folks thought I was down on Hopkins only to see now that many also don't want
to set their expectation up too high.

My original expectation was at low 30s for Hopkins, IF the core starters and rotational players remain relatively healthy.

My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell.

If some guys miss time, Hopkins should see more targets.
If he can learn those tricks of the trade early, he will earn the confidence of Kubiak and get more looks from Schaub.
Hopefully, he doesn't get down on himself like KMart and lose some confidence, and that he doesn't lose his focus like Jacoby.

If he can continue to improve on his phisicality, I could see a revision upward to the high 30s, and gravy if he gets more.
I'm gonna go with Hopkins over Swag if he can demonstrate this in the pre-season.

Of course we'll never know until we know but my gut says you're off on your assumed numbers. Matt's certainly not having a problem getting him the ball in PS and developing the chemistry. The reason he quit throwing to Kmat & Jean last year was because THEY KEPT DROPPING THE BALL. Matt's talked about Hopkins' "large catch radius" on several occasions as well as saying he "just has to get it close" and Hopkins is gonna come down with the ball.

My bet's you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as your:

"The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver."

I'm trying to figure out where in the hell you got that?

...and this:

"If he can continue to improve on his physicality" (got that for ya)

What on earth gives you reason to question this? All that's been discussed about Nuk since Day One is his body control and how he goes up and just muscles the ball away from two of the best cover corners in the league.

I seriously question your thought process/reasoning here and can't disagree any more strongly.

Playoffs
08-08-2013, 01:04 PM
My number one concern with Hopkins is whether he can handle a hit after the catch. In practice, our guys didn't go head-hunting on the receivers so there's no way we can tell. The sooner Hopkins can learn to set up the DBs, how to use his body to protect the ball, how to position himself to absorb the hit, etc., the sooner he can be a more effective receiver.

Have you read about what the Titans have been doing with Justin Hunter? It seems the majority of their focus is calling him out for being soft, questioning his toughness, etc. all in attempts to make him play tough. That was my concern with Hunter.

Hopefully AJ, Reed, and our coaches are teaching Nuk how to win while still protecting himself.

rush2112mn
08-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Why cant I pick more than one......dang it....Hopkins and DJ...no brainers....

76Texan
08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Of course we'll never know until we know but my gut says you're off on your assumed numbers. Matt's certainly not having a problem getting him the ball in PS and developing the chemistry. The reason he quit throwing to Kmat & Jean last year was because THEY KEPT DROPPING THE BALL. Matt's talked about Hopkins' "large catch radius" on several occasions as well as saying he "just has to get it close" and Hopkins is gonna come down with the ball.

My bet's you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As far as your:

I'm trying to figure out where in the hell you got that?

...and this:

(got that for ya)

What on earth gives you reason to question this? All that's been discussed about Nuk since Day One is his body control and how he goes up and just muscles the ball away from two of the best cover corners in the league.

I seriously question your thought process/reasoning here and can't disagree any more strongly.
It was just my impression after watching more than a dozen of his college games and reading a couple of dozen scouting reports on him.
He wasn't a concensus first rounder (and the ones that put him at the top of the second didn't hate on him; and neither was I.)
There wasn't any receiver in this draft that I was really comfortable putting in the first, mind you - just many borderline guys.

Like I said, we don't know whether JJo and Jackson truly played physical with Hopkins (and this can start at the LOS); we'll just have to wait until the real bullets fly.

If Hopkins had done all that (all the highly positive stuffs in TC) in his last year, he would have been highly regarded as AJ Green and Julio Jones, but he didn't.

Let's hope that he has been working real hard to improve his game.
If he can do those things somewhat consistently in real games, he will be a steal of a deal.

76Texan
08-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Have you read about what the Titans have been doing with Justin Hunter? It seems the majority of their focus is calling him out for being soft, questioning his toughness, etc. all in attempts to make him play tough. That was my concern with Hunter.

Hopefully AJ, Reed, and our coaches are teaching Nuk how to win while still protecting himself.

You and I both.
That was why I thought Hunter as another borderline first-second.
If he develops more toughness in his plays, Hunter has all the measurables to become a nice receiver as well.

76Texan
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Why cant I pick more than one......dang it....Hopkins and DJ...no brainers....

Hey, you can always declare a tie.

It can happen. :doot: