PDA

View Full Version : Texans showing interest in ILB Joe Mays (UPDATE) signed

Pages : [1] 2

HOU-TEX
07-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Most will remember him as the dude who jacked Schaub up. He'd make for an interesting battle for the spot next to Cush, no? Would he be a fit in our 3-4?

Mays, who was a starter when healthy for most of the last two years and expected to start at middle linebacker this year, was instead released at the start of training camp.

Last season Mays was a starter to open the season, but he was suspended for one game for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, then was lost for the season with a broken leg.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/broncos-cut-middle-linebacker-joe-mays/

rmartin65
07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I would definitely see what his price tag would be. Dude can really thump the ball carrier, and would only need to be a 2down run-stuffer in our system.

Rey
07-23-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd be all over that. He'd be great next to Cushing.

And he help bring even more nasty to this defense. Please bring this guy in. (assuming he wasn't cut for anything crazy)

Texn4life
07-23-2013, 01:06 PM

And he help bring even more nasty to this defense. Please bring this guy in. (assuming he wasn't cut for anything crazy)

I agree he would be a guy I'd look at and see if he's healthy. If he is then he would be our 2nd best ILB. I'm not quite sure what his injury situation is though after missing time at the end of the year.

Playoffs
07-23-2013, 01:24 PM
We should at least sign him long enough to get back that piece of Schaub's ear.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 01:27 PM

This^^^^^

Hell, he'd be great without being next to Cushing. He sustained what at first was thought to be an "ankle fracture" last October. However, it ended up being a distal fibula fracture, just above the level of the ankle joint. He had it surgically repaired and should be able to return to pre-injury level this season.

DoCRoN
07-23-2013, 01:30 PM
We should at least sign him long enough to get back that piece of Schaub's ear.

Would he need to repay the debt by working it off, like washing jocks and scrubbing toilets? Or do you think he's actually in possession of the missing piece and can return it...?

thunderkyss
07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Most will remember him as the dude who jacked Schaub up. He'd make for an interesting battle for the spot next to Cush, no? Would he be a fit in our 3-4?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/23/broncos-cut-middle-linebacker-joe-mays/

If we can get him & Sharpton under 1 roster spot, I'm all for it.

Playoffs
07-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Would he need to repay the debt by working it off, like washing jocks and scrubbing toilets? Or do you think he's actually in possession of the missing piece and can return it...?

I think the SOB has it in a jar ..... like the did in Gangs Of New York.

HOU-TEX
07-23-2013, 04:10 PM
The Bills just cut Mark Anderson. Dunno how he'd work as an OLB though

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 9m
Bills cut veteran defensive end Mark Anderson, place tackle Chris Hairston on the physically unable to perform list

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM

I would be very hesitant to bring him on under any circumstances. Anderson underwent surgeries on both of his knees by the time he left Alabama for the NFL. Last October, he underwent a left knee surgery which was to keep him out no more than 3-4 weeks (that elusive "minor" surgery). He had a "setback" which required return to surgery in November, and from information I have underwent another surgery for complications since then. In all, he missed the last 12 games of the season. The Bills probably had good reason to eat over $4.5 million in dead money.

HOU-TEX
07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
I would be very hesitant to bring him on under any circumstances. Anderson underwent surgeries on both of his knees by the time he left Alabama for the NFL. Last October, he underwent a left knee surgery which was to keep him out no more than 3-4 weeks (that elusive "minor" surgery). He had a "setback" which required return to surgery in November, and from information I have underwent another surgery for complications since then. In all, he missed the last 12 games of the season. The Bills probably had good reason to eat over $4.5 million in dead money.

Gotcha. I was kind of hesitant to begin with, but I'd definitely pass now after hearing that. I'm just soo friggin skeptical with the way our LB corps currently stands. IMO, all 4 spots have question marks. 3 if Cush shows well in camp and preseason.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Gotcha. I was kind of hesitant to begin with, but I'd definitely pass now after hearing that. I'm just soo friggin skeptical with the way our LB corps currently stands. IMO, all 4 spots have question marks. 3 if Cush shows well in camp and preseason.

I share your concerns....including that for Cushing.

AngryNateFTW
07-23-2013, 09:50 PM

That's hilarious. They signed both Mark Anderson and Mario Williams in the same off-season. They overpaid for both.

Blake
07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Would Schaub be ok with him as a teammate? I think if he apologizes, Schaub should hear him out.

Playoffs
07-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Would Schaub be ok with him as a teammate? I think if he apologizes, Schaub should hear him out.

Methinks any apologies at this late date would fall on deaf ears.

Playoffs
07-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
I have Mays ranked as the 3rd best available MLB/ILB.

Former #Broncos MLB/ILB Joe Mays could have a new team soon. He's received interest from over 6 teams which run 3-4/4-3.

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2013, 02:31 PM
I hope Smith is all over this.

MistaRed
07-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

The Texans have sincere interest in ILB Joe Mays. Realistic chance that they make him an offer over next 24 hours, per source.

Recently cut by the Broncos. You guys may remember he's the guy who caused Schaub to lose a piece of his ear in the Broncos/Texans game last year.

amazing80
07-28-2013, 07:06 PM
This would be a great signing IMO. But I think he may have injuries problems....

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
I have Mays ranked as the top ILB/MLB available:

Texans ($1.45 M) and Redskins ($1.34 M) are tight against the cap, but both teams need depth at ILB in a big way.

The Texans have sincere interest in ILB Joe Mays. Realistic chance that they make him an offer over next 24 hours, per source.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
I can confirm the Texans are interested in LB Joe Mays. First reported by @caplannfl. On his way to Houston now for a visit, per a source.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
This would make me happy.

Come on, Rick.

robroy72
07-28-2013, 07:13 PM
But wait! If we call in the next 10 minutes, we'll double the offer an you'll get two ILBs, just pay separate shipping and handling! #RIPBilly

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
This would be a great signing IMO. But I think he may have injuries problems....

He broke his fibula. That's the only injury I've heard of with him. I think he was more of a cap casualty. The Broncos had signed him to a 3 year $12 million contract prior to last season and then he got injured halfway through the season.

I think I'd prefer him next to Cush than Sharpton.

msbbc833
07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. Play on

Nawzer
07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Please make this happen! The Texans need someone desperately at ILB and he's a quality player.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 07:29 PM
No reports yet as to whether Schaub's ear will be returning to Houston with Mays.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2012/09/23/0ap1000000065400.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
But wait! If we call in the next 10 minutes, we'll double the offer an you'll get two ILBs, just pay separate shipping and handling! #RIPBilly

:spit:

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM
From the pony boards....

Mays was nicknamed Idiot Cannonball for his tendencies to always choose the wrong gap and his lights out physicality. A straight up 2 down backer with poor coverage skills. fwiw

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 09:49 PM
He's left Washington without contract and is on his way to visit the Texans tomorrow per the Washington Post.

Ryan
07-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Via Twitter

John McClain‏@McClain_on_NFL24m

Texans say they're bringing in veteran ILB Joe Mays. They need veteran depth.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Fibula is a non-weight bearing bone. Play on

From the other Mays thread:

This^^^^^

Hell, he'd be great without being next to Cushing. He sustained what at first was thought to be an "ankle fracture" last October. However, it ended up being a distal fibula fracture, just above the level of the ankle joint. He had it surgically repaired and should be able to return to pre-injury level this season.

Wolf
07-28-2013, 09:52 PM
He left the Redskns without a contract

Supposedly headed to Houston
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-set-to-meet-with-joe-mays/

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 10:30 PM
MODS, it may be less confusing to merge the two Joe Mays threads.

Nawzer
07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
From the pony boards....

Mays was nicknamed Idiot Cannonball for his tendencies to always choose the wrong gap and his lights out physicality. A straight up 2 down backer with poor coverage skills. fwiw

Still better than anyone not named Cushing on our roster that plays the ILB position. We need someone who can play the run on the first couple of downs and we know Cushing is a 3 down backer so Mays will do nicely.

steelbtexan
07-28-2013, 10:48 PM
He broke his fibula. That's the only injury I've heard of with him. I think he was more of a cap casualty. The Broncos had signed him to a 3 year $12 million contract prior to last season and then he got injured halfway through the season.

I think I'd prefer him next to Cush than Sharpton.

^^^^
This

Is Sharpton ever going to be healthy?

Rick should cut him so he and uncle Al can go get some justice for Trayvon.

MistaRed
07-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Apologies for the duplicate thread.

Norg
07-28-2013, 11:19 PM
man I remember that hit he really blasted Matt

not has bad tho when that one time I think Hanyeworth blasted matt and got him concussed

TEXANRED
07-29-2013, 12:18 AM
From the pony boards....

Joe "Cannonball" Mays.

I like it. Cushing Mays 1st/2nd down, Reed moves inside on third, Mercilus/Brahman @ OLB.

Rey
07-29-2013, 12:23 AM
I highly doubt reed would move inside on 3rd down. More likely he stays outside and they bring in an extra db like swearinger.

But regarding mays :drool:

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:26 AM
http://usdirect.com/wp-content/uploads/23879/Matt-Schaub-Hit.gif

Back and to the left.....

Nawzer
07-29-2013, 12:28 AM

Seems like a pleasant fellow.:)

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Apologies for the duplicate thread.

No worries, man, good to have you around & contributing.

Big Lou
07-29-2013, 01:03 AM

For the record I read somewhere that Schaub didn't lose a chunk of his ear, it just split.

On a side note always thought it looked Schaub was getting a radio call from God's OC (Probably St. Peter), "60 Jet Right, Turbo Z, green dog, don't head toward the light".

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 02:49 AM
From the pony boards....

This is what I was thinking..... good-great downhill player, not so much after that. I'd be interested in what kind of money the Texans offer him, considering the contract he was just released from I'd imagine he'll want more than what we'd offer a 2 down LB.

If Ed Reed is healthy, we'll be seeing a lot of Swearinger on 3rd downs.

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 03:04 AM
How's his special teams play?

Seems like the kind of hitter that could separate the returner from the ball on a regular basis. I think I'd like seeing him do that a couple of times a game.

TheMatrix31
07-29-2013, 04:15 AM
**** that guy.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 07:39 AM

Seems like the kind of hitter that could separate the returner from the ball on a regular basis. I think I'd like seeing him do that a couple of times a game.

That was considered a good part of his value by the Broncos..........and it was specifically reported that his STs skills were a significant factor in the Redskins pursuing Mays.

TejasTom
07-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Quite a few QBs on our schedule that I'd like see take a hit like that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 10:28 AM

Like, maybe, Peyton?:)

thetexanator
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
id be all over this guy. cant count on sharpton, we still dont know if reed will even be used as ilb. we didnt get our ilb in the draft. we need this.

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
**** that guy.
now, now... don't hold a grudge...
we won the game didn't we?

Is that any worse than we did to Jay Cutler?

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Jay Cutler viciously attacked Dobbins.

Porky
07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
I think some of the criticism is simple sour grapes. I mean how many times have I read on these boards all kinds of praise for a guy that's average - until he is let go, at which point eh, that dude was just a chump anyway. It's typical fan mentality. When he's yours, he is great. When he is someone else's, he's just a guy.

Not saying he's a pro-bowler, but he would fill a clear need, and also be a real help on ST and lord knows we need it.

Sign him Rick. :cow:

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Any updates?

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Jay Cutler viciously attacked Dobbins.
umm.. oh yeah...
that's right!
Poor Dobbins is probably still in counseling as a result of that attack.
:kitten:

infantrycak
07-29-2013, 12:19 PM

Agree with the overall point but disagree with the Cutler analogy.

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:23 PM
umm.. oh yeah...
that's right!
Poor Dobbins is probably still in counseling as a result of that attack.
:kitten:

Look:

http://thenewsportsguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/cutler-concussion3-11-11-12.gif

Tim tries to pull up but that jerk Cutler delivers a forearm shiver into Tim.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Look:

http://thenewsportsguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/cutler-concussion3-11-11-12.gif

Tim tries to pull up but that jerk Cutler delivers a forearm shiver into Tim.

<sniff> Breaks my heart what that beast Cutler did to that poor boy, Tim Dobbins.

Tim's going to be emotionally scarred for life because of that hit.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Any updates?

"Obviously, yall know were talking to him. Hes out there, hes free." -- Kubiak on Joe Mays, who the Texans brought in for a visit

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM
"Obviously, yall know were talking to him. Hes out there, hes free." -- Kubiak on Joe Mays, who the Texans brought in for a visit

Well that's the definition of uncommitted.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Didn't that result in a 15 yard penalty?

TejasTom
07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Didn't that result in a 15 yard penalty?

Yes. But I think that's ok every once in awhile.

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

How about the one game suspension afterwards?

badboy
07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/player/joemays/4277/profile

75 combine tackles 2011.

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports the Texans have "sincere interest" in free agent ILB Joe Mays.Per Caplan, there's a "realistic chance" the Texans make Mays a contract offer within the next 24 hours. Mays visited the Redskins on Saturday night, but left without a deal. The Texans are seemingly annually thin at inside linebacker. Jul 28 - 6:55 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4943/joe-mays

TexanSam
07-29-2013, 12:51 PM

You think is okay to lead with the helmet sometimes? I don't care who the QB is we're facing, that's no bueno.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 12:53 PM

Well, if he's that much of a bargain why haven't we signed him up yet?:chef:

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 12:57 PM
I asked Steph on Twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 25m
Nope. Kubiak talked some about what a great opportunity Houston was to FAs. Schaub cool w/ Mays post-ear RT @DXTex: Any word on Joe Mays?

Schaub reaction:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1156476/matt-schaub-crazy-look-o.gif

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I think some of the criticism is simple sour grapes.

That may be. Personally I'd sign him if we're thinking about replacing Sharpton, otherwise..... he's the same guy. Maybe better. But still a downhill player & we need more versatility from that guy than what we have now.

That's why I liked the idea of moving Reed inside. He has to turn & run with RBs & TEs now & does an ok job at it. He might be much better facing the QB playing more zone.

badboy
07-29-2013, 01:03 PM
If the ILB knocks the TE on his butt immediately there is no need to turn and cover.

TexansFTW
07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Well, if he's that much of a bargain why haven't we signed him up yet?:chef:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cffbzwAx5KY/UfagJtKol1I/AAAAAAAAAQU/RncJidRYzRw/s482/123.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Interesting side note from the Washington Post:

Deal between Joe Mays and Redskins remains possible

By Mark Maske and Mike Jones, Published: July 28 at 2:46 pm

The Washington Redskins remain in the running to sign free agent linebacker Joe Mays. Mays visited the team Saturday but did not immediately complete a deal. According to a person familiar with the situation, the visit went well and an agreement remains possible but was not expected to happen Sunday. Mays was headed for Houston for a visit with the Texans, the person said.

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Interesting side note from the Washington Post:

When players are getting older a situation like the Texans becomes more enticing than the Redskins right now.

feels good to say that

HOU-TEX
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
We got him!!!!

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 3m
Texans signed ILB Joe Mays

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 4m
Texans land ILB Joe Mays

ArlingtonTexan
07-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Well that's the definition of uncommitted.

Actually more than we normally get from Kubes

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Joe Mays worked out after morning practice and was signed. Texans need ILB depth.

Texans signed ILB Joe Mays
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Texans and Redskins made offers. Saints also interested. RT @McClain_on_NFL: Joe Mays worked out after morning practice and was signed.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Ahhhhh...

I feel better about the ILB position now.

Now.

About the OLB position...

HOU-TEX
07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Ahhhhh...

I feel better about the ILB position now.

Now.

About the OLB position...

Maybe you and I can give it a shot?

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Maybe you and I can give it a shot?

Well, I had an OK workout today... but my right knee is bothering me a little bit... so I guess I'd fit right in.

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Schaub responds:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aolnews.com/media/2010/11/matt-schaub-scary-face-bp.jpg

HOU-TEX
07-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Well, I had an OK workout today... but my right knee is bothering me a little bit... so I guess I'd fit right in.

Yup, and I've got 2 ruined shoulders.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I know Schaub will be very happy to get rid of the prosthetic ear he's been forced to wear since Mays knocked his original one off and pocketed it...

http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/large-fake-ear-listening-amplify.jpg

TEXANS84
07-29-2013, 03:10 PM
***UPDATE***

BleacherReport breaking news indicates Joe Mays has signed. More details to come.

*edit* did not see that was beaten to the punch already. Good job guys.

Schaub2Dre
07-29-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/22958475/2013/07/29/texans-sign-ilb-joe-mays

he Houston Texans sign veteran free agent inside linebacker Joe Mays after giving him a tryout on Monday.

Mays is headed into his sixth year in the NFL, the last three with the Broncos.

He played in only six games last season in Denver because of injuries.

Last year against the Texans Mays tackled quarterback Matt Schaub with an illegal hit and was suspended for one game by the NFL and fined $50,000.

"We're way past that," Schaub said after Monday morning's workout. "That was gone as soon as we walked off the field that day.

"It's just a physical, hard-nosed game and he's a physical player. It's part of football. I don't fault him for that. He's a good player and a good guy. That's definitely water under the bridge."

Rey
07-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Hell yeah.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
That may be. Personally I'd sign him if we're thinking about replacing Sharpton, otherwise..... he's the same guy. Maybe better. But still a downhill player & we need more versatility from that guy than what we have now.

Ok..... so we're not looking for guys who can work in space. We're looking for thumpers.

I'm ok with that.

So this makes Sharpton Cushing's back up at Mike? Has anyone else worked at that position?

Cushing & Sharpton at Mike

Mays, Dobbins, Reed at Moe

??

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Ok..... so we're not looking for guys who can work in space. We're looking for thumpers.

I'm ok with that.

So this makes Sharpton Cushing's back up at Mike? Has anyone else worked at that position?

??

I think they have Cameron Collins at Mike -- in the photos posted by BPP, Collins is in there with Dobbins. And in the dime, Swearinger and Manning are taking Quin's old coverage LB spot near the LOS.

At least, that's what I'm hearing.

Rey
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM

I'm ok with that.

??

I think Sharpton would still be the starter next to Cushing at this point, but IMO the competition should be open at this point.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
We got him!!!!

Great news! Thanks for the heads up.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Joe Mays signed a one-year deal with the Texans with $285 K guaranteed. $100 K bonus for making opening day roster, per source.

IDEXAN
07-29-2013, 03:39 PM
I had the impression that Mays had been around forever and was in the twilight of his career, but turns out he just became 28 earlier this month according to bio info.
Joe Mays
American football
Joseph Lamont "Joe" Mays is an American football linebacker who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft after playing college football at North Dakota State. Wikipedia
Born: July 6, 1985 (age 28), Chicago, IL
Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
Salary: 3.5 million USD (2012)
Spouse: LaToyia Mays
Team: Denver Broncos (#51 / Middle Linebacker)
Children: Joi Mays, Jai Mays
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=joe+mays&oq=joe+mays&gs_l=hp.3..35i39j46i3l2j0j0i20j0l5.1167.2894.1.362 8.8.8.0.0.0.0.148.869.5j3.8.0....0.0..1c.1.20.hp.V 19-oMk0P_c&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469%2Cd.aWM%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.MpiVkF51m pA.O&fp=4cf994cc35411a2&biw=1280&bih=685

Rey
07-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Looks like he wanted to be here because he wanted to be here.

Nawzer
07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Me happy! Line him up next to Cush and forget about it. Glad we signed someone of his caliber at this point of the season. Sharpton's days are numbered and thankfully he won't be starting for us anymore.

Porky
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Barring injury, I see no reason to think he won't beat out Sharpton and be our other ILB next to Cushing, at least on run downs. I also would not be shocked if he spells Cushing from time to time on pass downs. Lord knows he can blitz and really take a bite out of the QB.

Sharpton (IF healthy) becomes quality depth, along with Dobbins.

I feel much, much better about ILB now. Mays is not a world beater, but he can play and won't embarrass as a starter.

Now as for OLB.... :kitten:

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Barring injury, I see no reason to think he won't beat out Sharpton and be our other ILB next to Cushing, at least on run downs. I also would not be shocked if he spells Cushing from time to time on pass downs. Lord knows he can blitz and really take a bite out of the QB.

I feel much, much better about ILB now. Mays is not a world beater, but he can play and won't embarrass as a starter.

Now as for OLB.... :kitten:

I'll admit I haven't seen much of Mays other than that one game. But from what I saw, I didn't see much difference between him & what we get out of a healthy Sharpton. In pads, they even look like the same guy..... short, squatty.

Darryl Sharpton, imo, has been a real good downhill player. He gets behind the LOS easy enough. The only problem I've got with him is that he's poopoo in coverage & is "rarely" on the field.

If nothing else, this guy is going to push Sharpton (I think) more than replace him. Unless they want to protect Sharpton as our back up Mike LB.

All that to say I think Mays & Sharpton are the same "caliber" player.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Doc, if you don't mind looking into Mays' fractured fibula story, please.

Mays lost his starting job to old-man Brooking, I doubt that he's a better option than a healthy Sharpton.

Also, isn't Cushing supposed to be playing more at the MO for Wade?

badboy
07-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Now as for OLB.... :kitten:I agree Porkster. I breathed a sigh of relief and believe if Mays returns to pre-injury form our LBs just got significantly better. We might make other pickups as TC forces teams to make decisions and cut quality guys (hopefully).

Blake
07-29-2013, 04:12 PM

tap*tap*tap - Enhance - tap*tap*tap - enhance - tap*tap*tap - enhance.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Doc, if you don't mind looking into Mays' fractured fibula story, please.He did earlier in the thread.

Mays lost his starting job to old-man Brooking, I doubt that he's a better option than a healthy Sharpton.Yep.

Special teams is the only area he'll be missed in, looking at pony forums. He supposedly laid out Moeaki two times.

Wolf6151
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Until I see some on the field results I'm very ehhhhhhhh on this signing. I just don't see what he brings to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide. He's a 2 down ILB.

michaelm
07-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Until I see some on the field results I'm very ehhhhhhhh on this signing. I just don't see what he brings to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide. He's a 2 down ILB.

Anyone playing next to Cush will be a two down player, so I'm not sure what the knock is...

ThaJokaa
07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
I like the move! Im assuming Cush will be more of a coverage ILB now since Mays mainly rushes (from what I remember) someone correct me if I'm wrong

HOU-TEX
Anyone playing next to Cush will be a two down player, so I'm not sure what the knock is...

That's all I expect from him. Sharpton was supposed to be good enough in coverage to give Wade more options when going to nickel and dime. But, I've yet to see it, considering he hasn't been able to stay on the field. To be honest, I never thought he was all that when he was on the field. I'm not a coach, nor do I pretend to be one. Which may be the reason I don't see what the coaches see in the guy.

thunderkyss

Wade moved Cushing to MO when we had Brady James. Without Brady James I assume they'll be moving Cushing back to MIKE....

However, Sharpton is a MIKE. Maybe they'll leave Cushing at MO.... But I think it makes more sense to move Cushing.

roooshi
07-29-2013, 04:59 PM
http://youtu.be/Mr-ELKhmWj8

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 05:00 PM

IMO, we need an ILB that gives us the versatility to do more coverage stuff, incase we're in our base set & two tightends release into routes. I'd also like a guy who's as good as Cushing in zone coverages to help protect the inside routes & force QBs to make tough throws by getting into passing lanes (by watching the QB's eyse) forcing him to have to get the ball up & over the LB, but drop it in front of the safeties.

As it is now, too many QBs like Fitzgerald, Tebow, Sanchez look good against us (when our pass rush isn't getting there) because they can make easy throws, on a rope with little fear that the ball will be tipped.

Watch other teams play, or watch the defense of other teams when we play them, their LBs are more active than ours are. I'll look, but I would bet our LBs are near the bottom of the league in passes defensed.

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
http://reactiongifs.com/?p=4281

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/hartman-mtg/fridaydamnlarge0012dl1111.jpg

76Texan
07-29-2013, 05:12 PM
The Texans ILBs had 12 PDs; the Broncos 5

The Steelers and the Cards both had 7.

The Jets had 3, the Chargers had 8.

The Packers 4, the Ravens 8, Redskins 11, Cowboys 6

These are the 3-4 teams that I had looked at so far.

Heath Shuler
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM

wow

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Source please?
It's not that I doubt your info, it's that I'd like to know which guys did what. So I need the raw data.

badboy
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
http://reactiongifs.com/?p=4281

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/hartman-mtg/fridaydamnlarge0012dl1111.jpgIf you are going to post that picture, you have to show what they were looking at. Right? :photos:

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
If you are going to post that picture, you have to show what they were looking at. Right? :photos:
Let's just pretend they were looking at that Joe Mays hit and let it go at that.
:D

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 05:24 PM

Yeah.... I don't think Mays improves our team in this dept.

I did a quick look at ESPN Stats (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended/qualified/false/count/81). Looks like Dobbins got 4 PDs, Reed got 3 PDs, Brian Cushing got 2, & Ruud got 2 PDs

I may have missed it, but I'm sure Barwin got at least two as well.. though his & Reed's would include batting balls down at the LOS, which is different as it says nothing about their ability in coverage.

If you click on my link, you'll see where the LBs start showing up. There are a few on page 2, but you start to see a lot of them here on page 3, with 7 PDs. Those are the guys working that middle level, making it difficult for QBs... Ryan Kerrigan, Luke Kuechly, Akeem Ayers, Bryan Urlacher, D'Qwell Jackson, Paul Posluszny, & Curtis Lofton. Had Cushing played all year, he probably would have had 11.

At the same time, had Dobbins been used more in pass defense, he most likely would have had more than 4, Ruud as well.

So.... looks like Wade has the players, or has had the players to do what I'm looking for, he just chooses not to.... & he picks up players that are basically carbon copies of one another... Mays looks like Sharpton to me.

& that's ok. I'll stop looking for that coverage LB just like I stopped looking for that space eating NT a long time ago.

Rey
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Didn't the Broncos run a 43 last year?

msbbc833
07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Broncos fans are unanimously happy to see him gone. Maybe he will be their version of Jacoby and prove them wrong

76Texan
07-29-2013, 05:49 PM

The Jets had 3, the Chargers had 8.

The Packers 4, the Ravens 8, Redskins 11, Cowboys 6

These are the 3-4 teams that I had looked at so far.

Source please?
It's not that I doubt your info, it's that I'd like to know which guys did what. So I need the raw data.
I use Advanced NFL Stats for the Data and Wiki for players' positions.

Almost get to the end, and no team had more PDs than the Texans.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Didn't the Broncos run a 43 last year?

The Broncos were like the Texans; they used the 34 as the base D and switched to the 42 in nickel

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 05:58 PM

I did a quick look at ESPN Stats (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/passesDefended/qualified/false/count/81). Looks like Dobbins got 4 PDs, Reed got 3 PDs, Brian Cushing got 2, & Ruud got 2 PDs

I may have missed it, but I'm sure Barwin got at least two as well.. though his & Reed's would include batting balls down at the LOS, which is different as it says nothing about their ability in coverage.

Per the ESPN Texans' stats link, Barwin had 5 PDs. That's the most on the team for a non-DB not named J.J.Watt.
LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/hou/houston-texans)

If I were Wade, I might just turn Mays loose to demolish the opposing QB and leave Cush in pass coverage.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:00 PM
The Colts had 9, and the Chiefs 4.

That's it.
In conclusion, the Texans ILB corp led the league in PD last year.

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I use Advanced NFL Stats for the Data and Wiki for players' positions.

Almost get to the end, and no team had more PDs than the Texans.
Between you and TK the data mining I had planned to do has been done. The bottom line appears to be that no other team's ILB set has done any better than the Texans' bunch did last year; even with Cushing out for most of the year.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:06 PM

If you click on my link, you'll see where the LBs start showing up. There are a few on page 2, but you start to see a lot of them here on page 3, with 7 PDs. Those are the guys working that middle level, making it difficult for QBs... Ryan Kerrigan, Luke Kuechly, Akeem Ayers, Bryan Urlacher, D'Qwell Jackson, Paul Posluszny, & Curtis Lofton. Had Cushing played all year, he probably would have had 11.

At the same time, had Dobbins been used more in pass defense, he most likely would have had more than 4, Ruud as well.

So.... looks like Wade has the players, or has had the players to do what I'm looking for, he just chooses not to.... & he picks up players that are basically carbon copies of one another... Mays looks like Sharpton to me.

& that's ok. I'll stop looking for that coverage LB just like I stopped looking for that space eating NT a long time ago.
The vast majority of the guys you listed played in a 43 system; while Kerrigan was an OLB in the 34.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Between you and TK the data mining I had planned to do has been done. The bottom line appears to be that no other team's ILB set has done any better than the Texans' bunch did last year; even with Cushing out for most of the year.

Except we don't know how many TDs they allowed, LOL

You can do that as I'm taking a long break :)

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Broncos fans are unanimously happy to see him gone. Maybe he will be their version of Jacoby and prove them wrong

I'd be happy too if we just cut a 2 down player making $3M/yr (not named Demeco Ryans)

Who are they happy with replacing him with?

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.footballnation.com/content/denver-broncos-linebackers-offseason-preview-brooking-not-answer/21747/2/

Not pretty. :(

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Per the ESPN Texans' stats link, Barwin had 5 PDs. That's the most on the team for a non-DB not named J.J.Watt.
LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/hou/houston-texans)

Keep in mind, a lot of the PDs by the OLBs were at the LOS, batting balls down & not in coverage. I don't remember one Barwin had in coverage. I think Reed had at least one in coverage, but I also remember him batting a ball down at the LOS.

I'm good with moving Reed to ILB, I think he'd thrive in zone coverage rather than man coverage which he plays more of at OLB.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
The Broncos were like the Texans; they used the 34 as the base D and switched to the 42 in nickel

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4/8/4194504/mhr-university-the-3-4-defense

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-the-multiplicity-of-the-broncos-defense

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:31 PM

So did you find the 12 by our ILBs?

4 for Dobbins
2 for Ruud
2 for Cushing

I guess Brady James & Sharpton had three between them?

I don't know if I'd put much stock in "no other team did better than we did" when 4-3 teams only have one ILB & Brian Urlacher got 7. If Nick Roach is their Will, he'd be the closest thing to the MO in a 3-4 & he got 4.

Just because the other 3-4 teams suck in coverage, doesn't mean we should take pride in being the best of the worst.

infantrycak
07-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Just because the other 3-4 teams suck in coverage, doesn't mean we should take pride in being the best of the worst.

Let's take a step back and examine what stats mean. There is a step before throwing the pass - the QB deciding there is an opportunity, i.e. the coverage is poor enough to attempt the pass. A low number of PDs may indicate great coverage (the coverage was great and the QB went somewhere else) or crappy coverage (the coverage was poor enough for the QB to throw the ball and then the D didn't make the play) either one.

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 06:40 PM
So did you find the 12 by our ILBs?

4 for Dobbins
2 for Ruud
2 for Cushing

I guess Brady James & Sharpton had three between them?

I don't know if I'd put much stock in "no other team did better than we did" when 4-3 teams only have one ILB & Brian Urlacher got 7. If Nick Roach is their Will, he'd be the closest thing to the MO in a 3-4 & he got 4.

I must be counting wrong... I come up with more than 12...

Barwin --- 5
Dobbins -- 4
Reed ----- 3
Cushing--- 2
James ---- 2
Rudd ----- 2
Sharpton - 2
Mercilus - 1

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I must be counting wrong... I come up with more than 12...
Barwin --- 5
Dobbins -- 4
Reed ----- 3
Cushing--- 2
James ---- 2
Rudd ----- 2
Sharpton - 2
Mercilus - 1

ILBs, not LBs. Right?

ObsiWan
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
ILBs, not LBs. Right?
Aah... riiiight...
Well there they all are. You guys sort 'em out.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Patrick Willis had 9

Navarro Bowman had 6

That's 15 right there for SF

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Let's take a step back and examine what stats mean. There is a step before throwing the pass - the QB deciding there is an opportunity, i.e. the coverage is poor enough to attempt the pass. A low number of PDs may indicate great coverage (the coverage was great and the QB went somewhere else) or crappy coverage (the coverage was poor enough for the QB to throw the ball and then the D didn't make the play) either one.

True...

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Like ICaK said, one stat doesn't really say much if anything.

Then there's the scheme.

And then there's the flow of games and there's game plans.

And then there's the opponents.

There are so many variables to consider; they can render stats useless.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Like ICaK said, one stat doesn't really say much if anything.

But... but... you were the one who started the "no one did better than the Texans with 12 PDs"

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Patrick Willis had 9

Navarro Bowman had 6

That's 15 right there for SF

I actually looked up the Niners first and counted 15 for them, but then in the haste of looking further, I had a brain fart and forgot completely to mention it.

76Texan
07-29-2013, 06:57 PM
But... but... you were the one who started the "no one did better than the Texans with 12 PDs"

I know; I was only playing around.

You know that I always said I do not believe in stats by themselves.
:)

EllisUnit
07-29-2013, 07:12 PM
i am actually pleased with this signing, everyone has been worried about LB depth and this guy looks pretty solid IMO. Plus we all know he can lay a hit on someone ;) ask Schaub

Lucky
07-29-2013, 08:02 PM
It's a little sad when a Joe Mays represents a upgrade in your LB corps. Having said that, I'm glad the Texans picked him up. Hopefully, they keep looking.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
i am actually pleased with this signing, everyone has been worried about LB depth and this guy looks pretty solid IMO. Plus we all know he can lay a hit on someone ;) ask Schaub

I think this says a little bit about where the Texans are as an organization.

Mays was making $3M/yr last season. He signed for next to nothing. I'd have thought he would "believe" he is worth more than what we offered. Maybe even go to the 'skins to play with RG3, or New Orleans & try to win a Super Bowl.

But he picked us & it wasn't for the money.

PapaL
07-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I think this says a little bit about where the Texans are as an organization.

Mays was making $3M/yr last season. He signed for next to nothing. I'd have thought he would "believe" he is worth more than what we offered. Maybe even go to the 'skins to play with RG3, or New Orleans & try to win a Super Bowl.

But he picked us & it wasn't for the money.

I mentioned that a coworker, Redskins fan, when the signing news broke. Hey we don't suck anymore! People will take less to play for us now. No more Orlando Pace deals.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Doc, if you don't mind looking into Mays' fractured fibula story, please.

Mays lost his starting job to old-man Brooking, I doubt that he's a better option than a healthy Sharpton.

This is what I previously posted re. the fibula fracture:

This^^^^^

Reading the negative comments to us signing him on........especially based on his possibly losing his starting status following poor play in (and/or leading up to) the NE game last year, I have a thought on this. It would not be very "out in left field" to surmise that the several games preceding his fracture could have been a sign of "things to come".........a prodome. Overt fibula fractures are not uncommonly preceded by an undiagnosed fibula STRESS fracture. With a stress fracture, there may only be significant "soreness." Plain x-rays many times will not show the stress fracture, especially the first couple of weeks.........and there would be no signs of ankle bone separation expected in ankle sprains (including high ankle sprains) which can also be seen on plain x-rays if present. So significant injury is felt to be ruled out and the player is taped up and allowed to continue playing with resulting uncharacteristic subpar performance. Then later on, a significant loading force on the fibula, which he received when he jumped up high and came down hard for the punt block play where he suffered a completed fracture to the fibula, would not be surprising at all.

paycheck71
07-29-2013, 10:36 PM
This is what I previously posted re. the fibula fracture:

Reading the negative comments to us signing him on........especially based on his possibly losing his starting status following poor play in (and/or leading up to) the NE game last year, I have a thought on this. It would not be very "out in left field" to surmise that the several games preceding his fracture could have been a sign of "things to come".........a prodome. Overt fibula fractures are not uncommonly preceded by an undiagnosed fibula STRESS fracture. With a stress fracture, there may only be significant "soreness." Plain x-rays many times will not show the stress fracture, especially the first couple of weeks.........and there would be no signs of ankle bone separation expected in ankle sprains (including high ankle sprains) which can also be seen on plain x-rays if present. So significant injury is felt to be ruled out and the player is taped up and allowed to continue playing with resulting uncharacteristic subpar performance. Then later on, a significant loading force on the fibula, which he received when he jumped up high and came down hard for the punt block play where he suffered a completed fracture to the fibula, would not be surprising at all.

Didn't Brisiel have a similar injury for us the year before, which was preceded by soreness or sprain, or negative xrays, or something else the team fed us?

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 10:39 PM

I kid you for your apocolyptic predictions, but I truly am thankful that you freely share your knowledge & opinions with us.

Tailgate
07-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Its a good signing. We upgraded depth and possibly becomes our #2. Nothing really has changed tho. It all comes down to Cush being healthy or not. Denver also had a problem with Mays was in pass coverage.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Didn't Brisiel have a similar injury for us the year before, which was preceded by soreness or sprain, or negative xrays, or something else the team fed us?

Yes very similar.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I kid you for your apocolyptic predictions, but I truly am thankful that you freely share your knowledge & opinions with us.

Thank you for your kind words. I've actually enjoyed our little "fencing" episodes over the years (such as but not restricted to Schaub's foot :)). It keeps me on my toes having to always dig deep for honing my points. :tiphat:

76Texan
07-29-2013, 11:45 PM
Doc, your take was quite logical, and I was about to say so... but I thought I check things out a little more.

He sustained the injury in game seven while blocking on a punt return.

We're back to square one.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Broncos would cut him.
Brooking is gone, and they don't have any proven player behind these two guys.
They also have plenty of cap space, so this doesn't sound like a cost cutting move.

Unless both of the young players on the roster showed tremendous improvement in OTA... but do coaches evaluate players without pads on that quickly?

I can't help but remain skeptical.

Maybe I should go back and watch some tapes; at least I heard that he's a good special team player, and we do need that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Doc, your take was quite logical, and I was about to say so... but I thought I check things out a little more.

He sustained the injury in game seven while blocking on a punt return.

We're back to square one.

It doesn't make sense to me that the Broncos would cut him.
Brooking is gone, and they don't have any proven player behind these two guys.
They also have plenty of cap space, so this doesn't sound like a cost cutting move.

Unless both of the young players on the roster showed tremendous improvement in OTA... but do coaches evaluate players without pads on that quickly?

I can't help but remain skeptical.

Maybe I should go back and watch some tapes; at least I heard that he's a good special team player, and we do need that.

Actually, the timing fits the picture for a non weight-bearing bone like the fibula. From player to player, there will be variable factors affecting IF and HOW MUCH TIME passes from original development of a fibula stress fracture to overt fracture of this bone. I've seen examples where stress fractures were actually missed on x-ray reading (as demonstrated in re-readings made in retrospect) with the overt fracture not occurring for a months thereafter. Meanwhile, the player is in significant pain (tough football players tend to "suck it up" and minimize their complaints) with performance definitely negatively effected. The pain of a stress fracture may begin gradually. Usually the pain worsens with increasing levels of activity and is relieved by rest. When rest is not provided, the stress fracture line may extend and deepen until a point in time (different in each case) when it weakens enough to go on to overt fracture. A sudden loading impact (jumping up then landing hard) will many times be the factor that creates this ultimate event.

DX-TEX
07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/mays-part-competition-starting-ilb

The Texans signed veteran linebacker Joe Mays to a one-year contract on Monday. But they might have done it for more than depth purposes.

Mays, who spent the last three years in Denver, does give the Texans some much-needed depth at the inside linebacker position, with Brian Cushing recovering from an ACL surgery and Darryl Sharpton on the Non-football Injury list.

But he’s also going to be given a chance to win a starting role.

In reality, nobody has earned a starting job at MO here right now,” Herring said. “So we’re going to take the recourses we have on the field, implement them competitively. And whoever plays the best, will play that week. But we’re not going to get into all of that right now. We just need to get Darryl back on the field. He’s gotta get on the field and play and sustain. We have to get Joe Mays on the field and caught up.”

Explains how the Texans signed him at such a low number versus the Redskins who said it would be a back up position on their team.

Also feel this sends a message to Sharpton, "Shape up or ship out".

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/mays-part-competition-starting-ilb
In reality, nobody has earned a starting job at MO here right now, Herring said

That settles that. Cushing is back to MIKE

badboy
07-30-2013, 03:50 PM

Explains how the Texans signed him at such a low number versus the Redskins who said it would be a back up position on their team.

Also feel this sends a message to Sharpton, "Shape up or ship out".I am really hoping Sharpton gets that message this season. I am concerned why Denver cut Mays if not a cap issue. $4m is not extreme for a ILB and if he is recovered enough to start for Houston why not Denver?

Rey
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I am really hoping Sharpton gets that message this season. I am concerned why Denver cut Mays if not a cap issue. $4m is not extreme for a ILB and if he is recovered enough to start for Houston why not Denver?

Don't be concerned. If he doesn't work out, so what? We didn't invest anything really.

Only reason to be worried is if you think he's our last hope at ILB next to Cushing.

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 04:56 PM
I am really hoping Sharpton gets that message this season. I am concerned why Denver cut Mays if not a cap issue. $4m is not extreme for a ILB and if he is recovered enough to start for Houston why not Denver?

It's possible Mays hit his ceiling & Denver felt they overpaid for him. We don't need him to be a $4M guy.

He's a sixth round pick that's flashed a time or two. More than likely they paid him like we paid Winston who couldn't get a job until just recently.

The Texans need depth at inside 'backer, but they're not going to like it (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4943/joe-mays) if Mays is ever forced to start.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 05:23 PM

It's possible Mays hit his ceiling & Denver felt they overpaid for him. We don't need him to be a $4M guy.

He's a sixth round pick that's flashed a time or two. More than likely they paid him like we paid Winston who couldn't get a job until just recently.

Consider the fact that since the Broncos signed him prior to the 2010 season:

They have gone from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base defense
They have a new head coach (McDaniels then, Fox now)
They have a new D-Coordinator (Don Martindale then, Jack Del Rio now, Dennis Allen in-between)
They have a new GM/Exec. VP of Fball operations (Brian Xander then, John Elway now)

I don't know if there was a "football" reason that the Broncos got rid of him, but realistically, even if there was a "football" reason to keep him, it's a pretty good bet that there was nobody left who was invested in him enough to point it out.

badboy
07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
All very true guys and I still like the signing. If he is healthy, imo he starts over Sharpton. Now if we could just bring in a vet NT. lol

thunderkyss
07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
All very true guys and I still like the signing. If he is healthy, imo he starts over Sharpton. Now if we could just bring in a vet NT. lol

I'm ok with the signing. If Sharpton stays healthy, we probably won't see much of Mays anyway.

If I'm wrong, he starts, & he's a big part of what our defense does... we make out pretty good.

drs23
07-30-2013, 05:56 PM

bb, I see the "lol" thingy so "not sure if serious"?

Camp reviews have been surprisingly positive (to some) about Earl Mitchell and all the cats behind him.

So are you serious or are we "lol-ing"?

Just axin'.

False Start
07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
Schaub should do this the first time he meets Mays:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/StoneColdWhat-135-1.gif

MEGA SWATT
07-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Schaub should do this the first time he meets Mays:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/StoneColdWhat-135-1.gif

Good one:fostering::bravo:

76Texan
07-31-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm ok with the signing. If Sharpton stays healthy, we probably won't see much of Mays anyway.

If I'm wrong, he starts, & he's a big part of what our defense does... we make out pretty good.

I watched all the games he played last year and another one in 2011.

Too many missed tackles (one per game on the average), and he blew his coverage assignment 4 times in 5 games. 2 led directly to a TD (think of the Patriots game); one could have been a TD, but the QB looked the other way first, and one was a catch that the safety made the tackle. He took bad angles on several plays (again, average about one per game) that allowed the RB to get past him.

If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton. Mays is not strong by any mean. If he can't get off the blocker by using his hands well or avoiding him with his quickness, he got swallowed up somewhat easily. The Patriots' linemen, in particular, made him look like a little bug.
Maybe the injury affected his plays, I don't know.

Playoffs
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I watched all the games he played last year and another one in 2011.

Too many missed tackles (one per game on the average), and he blew his coverage assignment 4 times in 5 games. 2 led directly to a TD (think of the Patriots game); one could have been a TD, but the QB looked the other way first, and one was a catch that the safety made the tackle. He took bad angles on several plays (again, average about one per game) that allowed the RB to get past him.

If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton. Mays is not strong by any mean. If he can't get off the blocker by using his hands well or avoiding him with his quickness, he got swallowed up somewhat easily. The Patriots' linemen, in particular, made him look like a little bug.
Maybe the injury affected his plays, I don't know.
Mirrors what I've seen on pony forums, hence the nickname Idiot Cannonball.

Said he was always making bad decisions and a liability in coverage, but can blow a player up occasionally. Still better than Sharpton in the tub, though.

thunderkyss
07-31-2013, 12:33 PM
If they can correct theses mistakes then he has a chance to compete for a job; but even then, there's no guarantee that he can beat Sharpton.

Agree. Don't count Sharpton out yet. His play is strong when he's healthy.

ThaJokaa
07-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Agree. Don't count Sharpton out yet. His play is strong when he's healthy.

When Healthy is the key word...
Seeing how he just got a groin injury.... :mariopalm:
I hope its not that serious

Rey
07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
I haven't even seen Sharpton play enough to evaluate him...I can barely even remember what he looks like out there on the field....

If Sharpton can get healthy and start playing soon...Ok...Cross your fingers and good luck..

If this crap lingers...I'd cut him. I'd rather carry a young guy with promise that I didn't want to mess around with trying to PS them than carry someone that gets injured this often.

Playoffs
07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Caption this photo!

http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB12479--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Rey
07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Caption this photo!

http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB12479--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Cushing: "We hug around here after good plays bro...No homo"

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Caption this photo!

Whatchu talking bout, Cushing?

Lurvinator11
07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Caption this photo!

Hey man, I just talked to Schaub. He wants to give you an earful.

thunderkyss
07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
If this crap lingers...I'd cut him. I'd rather carry a young guy with promise that I didn't want to mess around with trying to PS them than carry someone that gets injured this often.

Yeah. You could give that roster spot to a promising young talent, then put another developmental type on your PS, then if push comes to shove, you can always resign Shartpon at a later date. There is absolutely nothing on him that would make another NFL team raise their ears.

badboy
07-31-2013, 11:34 PM
bb, I see the "lol" thingy so "not sure if serious"?

Camp reviews have been surprisingly positive (to some) about Earl Mitchell and all the cats behind him.

So are you serious or are we "lol-ing"?

Just axin'.I'm just not confident in any on the roster. I am hopeful for Chris Jones. Sure hope I am wrong on the rest.

DocBar
07-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I really like that we added Mays. I was hopeful when I saw that he was released but didn't think signing him was possible. He'll be a good addition to the team.

76Texan
08-01-2013, 02:45 PM
OK, so I watched some more Broncos games besides the 2012 season, I had finished with week 5 of the 2011 season. I know some of you hope to see a good player to pair with Cushing; all I can say is that if he's good, the Broncos would have retained him. Perhaps he showed better later on in the year; I haven't gotten that far yet, so I can't comment on them games.

For the first five games; he didn't play a whole lot in four of them.
Mays was like a rotational player that was not in the lineup much in nickel and dime situation. He was so-so in those games; the term non-descript probably suits him the best.

The game he saw the most playing time was against the Packers. He showed up around the ball on five or six plays, which sounds good, but all except one was unblocked... And as Wade had said, you aren't doing nothing really when you have a free path to the play.

It could still make for a good game, except that Mays also missed five tackles, something I haven't seen before; have you?

And no, after watching ten games, there's no indication that he's a decent blitzer either; he was hardly used in that capacity.
I still have eleven games to go; I can't say I can come to a definite conclusion yet.
You can't blame me for not being all hyped up about the signing, a vet minimum at that.

Playoffs
08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
The game he saw the most playing time was against the Packers. He showed up around the ball on five or six plays, which sounds good, but all except one was unblocked... And as Wade had said, you aren't doing nothing really when you have a free path to the play.

It could still make for a good game, except that Mays also missed five tackles, something I haven't seen before; have you?GB or SD? PFF shows Mays only took 25/72 snaps vs. GB with 2 missed tackles, but he took 48/78 snaps with 4 missed tackles vs. SD -- which is pretty bad, but...

PFF has him for 7 missed tackles in 2011 WC game vs. Steelers(68/73 snaps).

infantrycak
08-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I know some of you hope to see a good player to pair with Cushing; all I can say is that if he's good, the Broncos would have retained him.

1) try looking at film that caused the Broncos to give him a large contract and 2) Peyton wasn't eating up $20 mil per year of cap when they signed him. With a cap, sometimes you let go of players you want to keep.

Texian
08-01-2013, 03:35 PM
IMHO I see Joe Mays as just another guy. I don't think he's the answer to the Texans stopping the run up the middle. From what I've seen Mays will have trouble with average and ordinary TE's and FB's in league and will get swallowed up by interior lineman. When you are bouncing around 90 man rosters in the first week of training camp you're pretty much a camp body, a stop gap and/or the best that the salary cap could afford and that's not necessarily a good thing. Making do!

Rey
08-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I think Mays is going to be an upgrade over anything we put out there last year after Cushing went down.

He's a fast playing, high energy, hard hitting player. I think he fits well in this defense playing next to Cushing and I expect him to be a plus player this upcoming season defensively and on special teams if he plays there.

infantrycak
08-01-2013, 03:49 PM
When you are bouncing around 90 man rosters in the first week of training camp you're pretty much a camp body, a stop gap and/or the best that the salary cap could afford and that's not necessarily a good thing. Making do!

Mays was not bouncing around 90 man rosters. He just got cut and then was pursued by 6-7 teams. That isn't the typical camp fodder you are talking about.

Texian
08-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Mays was not bouncing around 90 man rosters. He just got cut and then was pursued by 6-7 teams. That isn't the typical camp fodder you are talking about.

I guess it all depends on your definition of bouncing. In my definition going from one team's 90 man roster to another team's 90 man roster in the first week of training camp is bouncing.

Rey
08-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I guess it all depends on your definition of bouncing. In my definition going from one team's 90 man roster to another team's 90 man roster in the first week of training camp is bouncing.

That's more like a bounce. Rather than a bouncing....

But seriously, trying to use the fact that the Broncos cut him as evidence that he's not good is kind of silly.

Playoffs
08-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Mays was cut for salary when it was clear he would not start. Some FOs will do a player a favor by cutting him early so he can catch on with another team. A number of team pursued Mays, but he made it pretty clear that Rick Smith sold him on the Texans.

Mays will be on 610 AM SportsRadio in the next/4 o'clock hour.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2013, 04:34 PM

But seriously, trying to use the fact that the Broncos cut him as evidence that he's not good is kind of silly.

And didn't the Broncos change from a 3-4 to 4-3 this year?

Texn4life
08-01-2013, 05:00 PM
And didn't the Broncos change from a 3-4 to 4-3 this year?

Pretty sure they changed to a 4-3 when John Fox got there a few years ago.

Texian
08-01-2013, 05:06 PM

I didn't say he was not good, I did indicate he was kind of average and ordinary. I'm not trying to make him to be more than what has been his 5 years in the league which is pretty much a journeyman. If Cush was at 100% and Sharpton was on the field I doubt Mays is even a blip on the Texans radar.

76Texan
08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
GB or SD? PFF shows Mays only took 25/72 snaps vs. GB with 2 missed tackles, but he took 48/78 snaps with 4 missed tackles vs. SD -- which is pretty bad, but...

PFF has him for 7 missed tackles in 2011 WC game vs. Steelers(68/73 snaps).

One of them games; I guess I can go back quickly to find out which one, because the majority of the misses were in the first half. I'm pretty sure I counted 4 in the first half and 1 in the second. Obviously, there's a discrepancy as my total is different from the other guys; it was probably their thinking that Mays was blocked out of one of them. I knew I thought about that one, too. Let just say I'm a little more bias against Mays - which I know I'm not - that's OK.
The core of the matter is there.

(And I know that you are quite appreciative of my watching games and try to convey thing as they are to the best of my knowledge, so I never had a beef with ya' - just as I appreciate all the info you've been providing us -we're good).

But you're telling me there's another game that I haven't got to, and Mays missed 7 tackles? Hot dang. How the heck did he get that contract?

Icak, man, Mays must have been balling out in the other ten games that I haven't got to or something was very wrong.

So far, I know that I'm not pulling a rabbit out of a hat.
Perhaps, you can watch some games and tell us what was it that you saw that was great about Mays. I'm all ears (pun intended, haha).

Rey
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I didn't say he was not good, I did indicate he was kind of average and ordinary. I'm not trying to make him to be more than what has been his 5 years in the league which is pretty much a journeyman. If Cush was at 100% and Sharpton was on the field I doubt Mays is even a blip on the Texans radar.

If tell a girl that he make-up is bad, her clothes don't fit right, her lips are too small for her face, her ears turn me off, her hair looks bad..... but then say...Baby....I'm not saying you're ugly....

What is she supposed to think?

You named a bunch of negatives about the guy and then you're saying that you didn't say he was not good?

Journeyman is a non-descript word so I don't even know what you mean by that. He's only actually played for two teams in his career and this is his third.

As for your last sentence, I disagree. Sharpton can't be counted on to stay healthy and there isn't much depth there even if he was healthy and practicing. Plus, the guy had interest from quite a few other teams.

Rey
08-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Icak, man, Mays must have been balling out in the other ten games that I haven't got to or something was very wrong.

you realize he wasn't talking about games from last year right?

76Texan
08-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Their look can be like a 4-3, but basically, their base is more like a 52, same as the Texans. It was explained on the Broncos website by a couple of guys who know the X and O as much as Rey does.

If you follow what Kubiak said about how much we were in the dime and nickel;
the Broncos were, too.
There isn't much difference, just the cirscumstances that prompted the media to classify one from the other.

76Texan
08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
you realize he wasn't talking about games from last year right?

Yes, that's why I said I had watched all the 2012 games and 5 games from 2011 so far (probably six, I think - but I may want to watch that 6th game one more time). There are still more games from 2011 that I need to watch.

Texn4life
08-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Their look can be like a 4-3, but basically, their base is more like a 52, same as the Texans. It was explained on the Broncos website by a couple of guys who know the X and O as much as Rey does.

the Broncos were, too.
There isn't much difference, just the cirscumstances that prompted the media to classify one from the other.

Gotcha, I can't say I follow or analyze the Broncos enough to say what "looks" they actually show. Just was responding to Doc mainly of when they switched from the 3-4. Thanks for breaking it down though.

Playoffs
08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
But you're telling me there's another game that I haven't got to, and Mays missed 7 tackles? Hot dang. How the heck did he get that contract? Yup, playoff game. I was one-uppin' ya. He got $12 mill/$4 guaranteed first year after that.

I guess Elway had a soft spot for him?

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks, he actually changed it for the 2012 season. The point I was trying to make is that maybe Mays just didn't fit as well last year after the change.

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks, he actually changed it for the 2012 season. The point I was trying to make is that maybe Mays just didn't fit as well last year after the change.

Mays was signed and brought in for the 2010 season. That year, they were a 3-4 team. In 2011, they shifted to a 4-3 team.

Mays came in to Denver as a RILB.

steelbtexan
08-01-2013, 07:20 PM

the Broncos were, too.

Mays must be a good fit, he's currently running with the 1st team. The Broncos changed over from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in 2011 when Fox became HC. Fox has always run a 4-3 defense. 1st as DC with the Giants and then during his many sucessful yrs with the Panthers.

Fox does have some 5-2 princilples in his defense, he will occasionally play the OLB's close to the LOS. But he only does this about 20% of the time. Wade's defense is in the 5-2 look 70-80 % of the time by contrast.

The reason many think the Fox runs a base 5-2 is because he used Miller and Dumervil as DE's on pass rushing downs and dropped down DE Derek Wolf to pair up at DT with Kevin Vickerson in pass rushing situations. (Having all of his best pass rushers on the field on passing downs seems like a good idea.)

The Broncos use their DT's to control the running game and need a fast MLB to cover the middle of the field. This didn't play well to Mays strengths. Even though Mays is a pretty god blitzer. (See Schaub hit) Mays is also a very good ST guy which is sorely needed. (Thanks Coach Joe)

EllisUnit
08-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Whats better a healthy mays or an injuried on IR sharpton ? Lord he is better than a lot of other people who could be filling in so whats all the whinning about ?

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Whats better a healthy mays or an injuried on IR sharpton ? Lord he is better than a lot of other people who could be filling in so whats all the whinning about ?

I'm just hoping that between Sharpton and Mays, we get a full season of play at about the same level. But of course, they'll probably both go down at the worst possible time and in the same game.

TexanSam
08-02-2013, 12:14 AM

I'll take average and ordinary. We're not going to have above-average talent at every position, and ILB was a weakness after Cushing went down last year. I don't know if he's an upgrade over a healthy Sharpton, but he's an upgrade over Bradie James and Tim Dobbins. Our depth at ILB was weak before Mays signing and now he helps solidify it.

ThaJokaa
08-02-2013, 12:53 AM
I think the only reason people dont seem to like him is because of what he did to Schaub in Denver, other than that I think mostly everyone would be on board with this move. Lets face it, we're ULTRA thin at the ILB position, and the guy who's suppose to be our guy is made of glass. Then who else do we have? Dobbins? OK...

thunderkyss
08-02-2013, 01:19 AM
But you're telling me there's another game that I haven't got to, and Mays missed 7 tackles? Hot dang. How the heck did he get that contract?

In 2009, the Texans defense looked like an NFL defense. Pollard was chop'n heads, Quin & McCain were making it difficult for receivers to make a living, Demeco & Cushing rulled the middle, & Mario was doing his thing.

We signed Pollard I think for a second season. He looked like crap in 2010, missing many assignments, getting burned, missing tackles.... didn't look like a guy we signed.

We let him go. He was a starting safety for the Baltimore Ravens in 2011 when they had their best finish in years, earning a home play off game. He started again on that same team in 2012 when they won a Super Bowl.

Do you think maybe Mays played in a system that allowed him to shine prior to 2012, but then switched to a different scheme/philosophy where he was being asked to do things that don't necessarily suit his strengths? & then maybe our system is more like the one he flourished in?

I don't think this guy is all that. I doubt he'll start over Daryl Sharpton. But I think there might be something to icak's point.

Fingers crossed.

Rey
08-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't even count sharpton as a player for us right now. I hope he comes back and has a good healthy season, but I cannot logically assume that will happen. As far as I'm concerned mays was a huge pick up because all we had as vets was dobbins and Cushing inside.

deucetx
08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Kind of surprised so many posts on this. What's so different from this guy to Sharpton to Dobbins? Little. They are all interchangeable because none of them are above average players. All suffer in the area of pass coverage, all are decent to good run stoppers and all are decent rushers though Mays and Sharpton beat Dobbins here.

Not even sure where all the Sharpton praise is coming from. The seldom times he has been on the field have not been anything close to memorable. He's been exactly what the other two are....servicable. Nothing more than that. Servicable isn't something that makes me go 'Oh you are not beating him out!' If anything it makes me go 'Please beat him out!' I rather an upgrade if I can get one. If Mays is or not who knows. What we do know is the Texans liked what they saw enough to leap on the guy almost immediately upon his release. He came cheap so no harm or loss. We either got another servicable starter or more depth. Either way it came at little cost so more to gain than lose.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I don't even count sharpton as a player for us right now. I hope he comes back and has a good healthy season, but I cannot logically assume that will happen. As far as I'm concerned mays was a huge pick up because all we had as vets was dobbins and Cushing inside.

I share you concerns. And with his hip, groin/adductor, and quad problems, he is a perfect set up for "sports hernia" (Athletic Pubalgia).

thunderkyss
08-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Just Curious, do you look at Ben Tate the same way? I know we got more out of Ben Tate so far, but he is a second round pick where Sharpton was a 4th (& Mays was a 6th).

FYI, I feel the same way about Tate. I'd have liked for us to get someone that would really challenge him for his spot. Maybe one of the UDFA RBs can, I don't know. But I'd have felt better if we'd have gotten someone in FA. There were a few good #2 RBs out there.

Rey
08-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Just Curious, do you look at Ben Tate the same way? I know we got more out of Ben Tate so far, but he is a second round pick where Sharpton was a 4th (& Mays was a 6th).

FYI, I feel the same way about Tate. I'd have liked for us to get someone that would really challenge him for his spot. Maybe one of the UDFA RBs can, I don't know. But I'd have felt better if we'd have gotten someone in FA. There were a few good #2 RBs out there.

Do I feel the "same"? No. Am I worried about Tate's health over the course of the season? Absolutely.

Tate hasn't been the perfect picture of health, but I believe we've gotten more out of him than we have out of Sharpton. In the last two seasons Ben Tate has played in 26 games...sharpton has played in 15...And Tate maybe could have played in more last year had he not gotten himself in the dog house. Tate has played in one fewer game than Sharpton and that is with Tate missing his whole rookie season. Tate has had one major injury...Sharpton seems to have a bunch of small stuff and then some big stuff takes him out.

I'll put it like this. I think we'll get something out of Tate this year. I feel pretty good about that. With Sharpton, I have no idea. He could come back to practice and tweak or pull or strain something at anytime. Tate supposedly had an injury today (I don't know how severe it is), but at least he's out there practicing.

But I get what you are saying completely...Tate needs to stay healthy for a full season. But I don't put him quite on the same level as Sharpton...

As far as bringing in another RB FA...I hear you, but I think with our cap situation, the UDFA backs might have been the best way to go...I think that we can find quality backs going the UDFA route. But it's not like I would be opposed to grabbing a vet back up....

thunderkyss
08-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I'll put it like this. I think we'll get something out of Tate this year. I feel pretty good about that. With Sharpton, I have no idea. He could come back to practice and tweak or pull or strain something at anytime. Tate supposedly had an injury today (I don't know how severe it is), but at least he's out there practicing.

But I get what you are saying completely...Tate needs to stay healthy for a full season. But I don't put him quite on the same level as Sharpton...

I don't know that Tate has had one significant injury. We "presumed" he was in the dog house, but for all we know, it was knicks & bruises keeping him from playing. I remember Kubiak expressing some frustration with getting Tate on the field last offseason.

& it's not looking good now.

Ben Tate has suffered a totally unspecified injury this morning and is presently on the trainer's table. No other details to report to you at this time.

Tate has a groin problem.

No, speaking to someone at practice.

Rey
08-02-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't know that Tate has had one significant injury. We "presumed" he was in the dog house, but for all we know, it was knicks & bruises keeping him from playing. I remember Kubiak expressing some frustration with getting Tate on the field last offseason.

No...He was in the dog house. I don't know that for certain, but I know that for certain.

Tate was suited up but not playing. That would be very dumb for the team to suit up an injured player. Especially at the RB position.

Still, I feel pretty confident that Tate will be back on the field at some point. I don't even know if Sharpton will or if he does come back will there be something that knocks him right back out.

DX-TEX
08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I like the idea of Mays next to Cushing! Why?

Because I want him to do this to Manning, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/556/928/SchaubHit_original_original.gif?1348598355

76Texan
08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
After having watching all of the regular season games that Mays played the last two seasons (I'm not going to bother to watch the two play-offs game because as reported, he missed a ridiculous seven tackles against the Steelers and the other team put up 45 points), I can say that the Broncos made a huge mistake resigning him to $4M per.

Mays did not have a better season than neither Sharpton nor Dobbins in either year. Unless he improves significantly, I would take Dobbins over Mays.
A healthy Sharpton is definitely the starter; I have no doubt about that.

Mays made too many mistakes in both the run game and the passing game;
He's hardly used to rush the passer.
Unless the Texans played against poor QBs or teams that run the ball a whole lot, Mays is not an asset to the D.

steelbtexan
08-03-2013, 11:13 AM
After having watching all of the regular season games that Mays played the last two seasons (I'm not going to bother to watch the two play-offs game because as reported, he missed a ridiculous seven tackles against the Steelers and the other team put up 45 points), I can say that the Broncos made a huge mistake resigning him to $4M per.

Mays did not have a better season than neither Sharpton nor Dobbins in either year. Unless he improves significantly, I would take Dobbins over Mays.
A healthy Sharpton is definitely the starter; I have no doubt about that.

Mays made too many mistakes in both the run game and the passing game;
He's hardly used to rush the passer.
Unless the Texans played against poor QBs or teams that run the ball a whole lot, Mays is not an asset to the D.

Has Sharpton ever been healthy?

We have no way of know how good Sharpton is/isn't.

ChampionTexan
08-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Has Sharpton ever been healthy?

We have no way of know how good Sharpton is/isn't.

He's played in 27 games - starting 11 of them. You don't think 27 games is enough to at least start forming an opinion?

infantrycak
08-03-2013, 11:40 AM
He's played in 27 games - starting 11 of them. You don't think 27 games is enough to at least start forming an opinion?

Yeah, and my opinion is he is the Sage Rosenfels of LBs. He can fill in but not excel as a starter or he can be an above average backup.

Playoffs
08-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Looking at Sharpton's games where he took at least 30 snaps in a game, we have 4 in 2010, 0 in 2011, and 5 in 2012. His PFF ratings in those games go from average to below average ..... but the sample size is really too small to make a valid assessment, imo. One positive is he rarely has missed tackles.

A team's defensive snaps per game can range from ~50 to ~80.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I said this earlier but...

Sharpton and Mays may well be the same guy. And they may not be the greatest guys. But I think they're an upgrade over what we had last year for the majority of the season AND between the two of them, we might be able to cobble together a full season.

That at least allows us to make it to next year's draft looking for the monster ILB to pair with Cush.

Of course, in a perfect world, UDFA Cameron Collins surprises the hell out of everyone and becomes The Man.

EllisUnit
08-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I like the idea of Mays next to Cushing! Why?

Because I want him to do this to Manning, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick and Luck:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/556/928/SchaubHit_original_original.gif?1348598355

i dont think he is making enough money with us to do that to them all haha

DX-TEX
08-03-2013, 03:08 PM
i dont think he is making enough money with us to do that to them all haha

We should do a kickstarter for him. The JoeMaysgonnakillabitchQB.com

ObsiWan
08-03-2013, 07:52 PM
I said this earlier but...

Sharpton and Mays may well be the same guy. And they may not be the greatest guys. But I think they're an upgrade over what we had last year for the majority of the season AND between the two of them, we might be able to cobble together a full season.

That at least allows us to make it to next year's draft looking for the monster ILB to pair with Cush.

Of course, in a perfect world, UDFA Cameron Collins surprises the hell out of everyone and becomes The Man.

Same guy?
If you say so.
I know this... I ain't NEVAH seen Sharpton clock anyone like Mays clocked Schaub. And the Denver fans say that's what he brings to the table.

Good.

You might recall that's how Baltimore beat N.E. in the playoffs. Their defense (mainly Pollard) flat killed any RB/TE foolish enough to catch a pass.

So if Mays can bring some "you-will-PAY" to our LB corps - in addition to Cushings' punishing style - I'm for it.

PapaL
08-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Same guy?
If you say so.
I know this... I ain't NEVAH seen Sharpton clock anyone like Mays clocked Schaub. And the Denver fans say that's what he brings to the table.

Good.

You might recall that's how Baltimore beat N.E. in the playoffs. Their defense (mainly Pollard) flat killed any RB/TE foolish enough to catch a pass.

So if Mays can bring some "you-will-PAY" to our LB corps - in addition to Cushings' punishing style - I'm for it.

Also toss in Swearinger to that "you-will-PAY" corps.

drs23
08-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.

EllisUnit
08-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Granted, I just hope he doesn't become a marked man. The refs are calling a much tighter game now with the new rules which are different that what DJS has been accustomed to in school.

yeah but even the fact that WRs, TEs know how they are will have some kind of affect on how they play, they may look to see where they are for an instance and lose sight of the ball. Many ways having guys like that can help out without actually having to get the kill shot.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2013, 10:18 PM

Aggressiveness can be a great trait in a safety. But it needs to remain "controlled aggression." Even though his college day rules were administered "looser," he still developed a reputation for repeatedly going for the upper chest-head area and was called for numerous such penalties throughout his career. He even drew a one game suspension last year for nailing a defenseless receiver with a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit. He did not seem to exhibit quick learning from previous experience/penalties. If he continues to exhibit that pattern of "learning disability" this year, he will become substantially poorer, and definitely less effective while having to watch games while eating popcorn from his home theater room.

infantrycak
08-03-2013, 10:25 PM

I wish I could remember where I read it but personal fouls are down. In 2009 there were 620 odd PFs called and last year it was about 460.

badboy
08-03-2013, 10:55 PM
I have nothing to base it on but my "feeling" is Sharpton will not be healthy much but Mays will. A healthy Sharpton IMO would be better than Mays but not if he is on the sidelines.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2013, 10:56 PM
I wish I could remember where I read it but personal fouls are down. In 2009 there were 620 odd PFs called and last year it was about 460.

Found this interesting site.......lists all NFL fines/players/$/action resulting in fine, by year........last year got pretty expensive.
http://justfines.com/listFines.php?year=2009

And this site also breaks down the stats on the types of penalties by year.
http://www.nflpenalties.com/

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I have nothing to base it on but my "feeling" is Sharpton will not be healthy much but Mays will. A healthy Sharpton IMO would be better than Mays but not if he is on the sidelines.

:thinking:

Rey
08-04-2013, 12:07 AM

Honestly, I think swearinger's being sold as a big hitter is overblown. Yeah, he has some big hits and he will crush you if it sets up right, but he's not a guy out there just head hunting. He a much more well rounded player than people tend to think. I'm not at all worried about him being a constant risk for flags, fines and suspensions. That's really not his game tbh.

Rey
08-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.

Playoffs
08-04-2013, 12:30 AM
:thinking:
http://www.pixtus.com/forum/attachments/nature-wildlife/127587d1274523221-beaver-has-destroyed-about-30-trees-overmyhead.gif

Grams
08-04-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays. I mean, he could be...but I can't even think back and picture him doing a bunch of good things. He hasn't had more than 15 solo tackles in a season....

I'm not saying the guy isn't good but I can't sit here and say that he's a better player than Mays. I can't really remember many good things sharpton has done. Can't remember any bad things either.

One needs to be on the field to remember good things or bad. It seems as if one looks at Sharpton sideways and he gets hurt.

Some of y'all think Schaub is fragile, but Sharpton seems to be the definition of fragile.

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Kareem, Manning, & Brandon Harris are pretty good hitters too.

Them guys in our secondary are some serious dudes.

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't get the opinion that sharpton is a better player than Mays.

To me it's like saying Andre Luck is better than Schaub. History doesn't support it, but the feel is going forward, you're better off with the young'n.

Other than that big hit on Schaub, I don't remember seeing many plays from Mays that was much different than what we get from Sharpton. Granted, like '76 I've only gone back a couple of years, but if what I've seen in the last two years is indicative of the play we're getting from Mays.... it's a marginal improvement at best.

Rey
08-04-2013, 11:24 AM
To me it's like saying Andre Luck is better than Schaub. History doesn't support it, but the feel is going forward, you're better off with the young'n.

Other than that big hit on Schaub, I don't remember seeing many plays from Mays that was much different than what we get from Sharpton. Granted, like '76 I've only gone back a couple of years, but if what I've seen in the last two years is indicative of the play we're getting from Mays.... it's a marginal improvement at best.

I'm not really a fan of the comparison because Luck just played a whole consecutive season. He's fresh on our minds. When I say I can't remember sharpton, I'm not saying that for effect. I literally can't remember him.

But I do understand what you're saying. As far as the film watching, I'm not going there. Some people look one way in some systems then look another way in others. I have not gone back and watched mays and I'm not going to. But I know what type of player he is and I'm glad he's playing for us. I'll leave it there.

SCOTTexans
08-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Just wanted to add I saw Mays at practice on Friday knock the hell out of Davis causing an fumble.

If it was in a game it would have been in a highlight reel

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to add I saw Mays at practice on Friday knock the hell out of Davis causing an fumble.

If it was in a game it would have been in a highlight reel

The only "Davis" I can think of on our roster is Ja'Gared Davis......another ILB.
Is there another one I'm missing? Either way, I don't know that I like hearing any one of our players are getting the hell knocked out of by anyone on their own team.

GoCoogs
08-04-2013, 01:18 PM
From the tweets from today's practice, it sounds like the Mays signing lit a fire under Sharpton.

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Sharpton came from the U right?

Lucky
08-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes. So?

infantrycak
08-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Wouldn't it have been just as easy for you to google that and have an answer to your question?

Lucky
08-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Wouldn't it have been just as easy for you to google that and have an answer to your question?
I took it as that Sharpton being a Hurricane implied something about him or his ability. Not sure what that would be.

thunderkyss
08-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Then I'd have to find another reason to rep Lucky.

SCOTTexans
08-04-2013, 02:49 PM
The only "Davis" I can think of on our roster is Ja'Gared Davis......another ILB.
Is there another one I'm missing? Either way, I don't know that I like hearing any one of our players are getting the hell knocked out of by anyone on their own team.

Yeah now that i think about it, a guy at the practice said it was "Davis" not sure why i just agreed with him. It was prob woods as he was the one taking the snaps with the first strings.

And i want the guys trying to prove themselves to knock the hell out of each other. If they all just play nice during practice then we would have a lot of talent sitting at home or on the practice squad.

Also it was Veterans day off on friday

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Herring on Joe Mays switch from 43 to 34: "That's what Joe's trying to do right now. He's learning the language & the system."

This actually may herald well for Mays being a better fit than with Denver, thriving in this system where his stengths can be played to.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah now that i think about it, a guy at the practice said it was "Davis" not sure why i just agreed with him. It was prob woods as he was the one taking the snaps with the first strings.

And i want the guys trying to prove themselves to knock the hell out of each other. If they all just play nice during practice then we would have a lot of talent sitting at home or on the practice squad.

Also it was Veterans day off on friday

What about the PUP or IR?............I think the discussion might be different if it involved players such as Hopkins or AJ............

May's position is pretty solidified. Whether starter or rotational ILB will be determined by whether he can knock the hell out of OPONENTS and perform in general in preseason games.

SCOTTexans
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
What about the PUP or IR?............I think the discussion might be different if it involved players such as Hopkins or AJ............

May's position is pretty solidified. Whether starter or rotational ILB will be determined by whether he can knock the hell out of OPONENTS and perform in general in preseason games.

Yeah, key word "guys trying to prove themselves". But im not sure if Hopkins should be excluded from that group

ChampionTexan
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM

Yeah, key word "guys trying to prove themselves". But im not sure if Hopkins should be excluded from that group

Yeah, whether it's Hopkins, AJ, or Uzoma Nwachukwu I don't want to see any of our WR's trying to "knock the hell" out of someone.

76Texan
08-04-2013, 10:37 PM

You pretty much answer your own question.

Remember I said that before the miss-tackles, Mays also took bad angles or got driven off by blockers quite a few times over the course of the year (both in 2011 and 2012) leaving a huge hole for the RB to shoot through and that he was also a liability in the passing game, allowing 2 TDs directly - and he didn't have that many snaps in coverage to begin with.

He made very few plays by beating a blocker; the majority of his tackles were unblocked - and as Wade had said, when you're unblocked, you really haven't done anything unless you were too quick for the blocker (in which case, I don't consider the defender to be unblocked so that doesn't apply.)

The hit on Schaub, for example, was unblocked; not only that, Schaub was also pressured by another defender. Mays didn't really make a play - according to Wade's standard. I mean how hard is it for a LB to get to a QB in such an instance.

Even if you count the tackles when he was unblocked, many of them could go for 4-6 yards; that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Even if you count all of his tackles as "plays", the bad plays were enough to negate all of them.

So I do think that Sharpton has been a better player than Mays when he's on the field.

Obviously, you don't want to count on a guy who can't stay on the field, but that doesn't mean that he's not a better player than Mays.

I would take Dobbins over Mays to be on the safe side.
Until Mays cut down on his mistakes, that's the way I see it.
You just can't afford to have a liability on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Yeah, whether it's Hopkins, AJ, or Uzoma Nwachukwu I don't want to see any of our WR's trying to "knock the hell" out of someone.

Nor would you want them on the receiving end.

Lucky
08-04-2013, 11:51 PM
I hope you're not suggesting that Sharpton doesn't make mistakes (in his limited number of snaps). Go back to last year's home game versus the Jags and watch Sharpton blow a goal line assignment and allow a wide open TD pass to Marcedes Lewis. The problem here is that one of these "liabilities" will be needed to start on this defense. I would choose the one with more experience (Mays) who can stay on the field (Mays). I think Wade will do the same.

Rey
08-05-2013, 12:34 AM
You pretty much answer your own question.

Remember I said that before the miss-tackles, Mays also took bad angles or got driven off by blockers quite a few times over the course of the year (both in 2011 and 2012) leaving a huge hole for the RB to shoot through and that he was also a liability in the passing game, allowing 2 TDs directly - and he didn't have that many snaps in coverage to begin with.

He made very few plays by beating a blocker; the majority of his tackles were unblocked - and as Wade had said, when you're unblocked, you really haven't done anything unless you were too quick for the blocker (in which case, I don't consider the defender to be unblocked so that doesn't apply.)

The hit on Schaub, for example, was unblocked; not only that, Schaub was also pressured by another defender. Mays didn't really make a play - according to Wade's standard. I mean how hard is it for a LB to get to a QB in such an instance.

Even if you count the tackles when he was unblocked, many of them could go for 4-6 yards; that doesn't do a whole lot of good.

Even if you count all of his tackles as "plays", the bad plays were enough to negate all of them.

So I do think that Sharpton has been a better player than Mays when he's on the field.

Obviously, you don't want to count on a guy who can't stay on the field, but that doesn't mean that he's not a better player than Mays.

Ok.

I don't have a response for all of that. I haven't went back and watched his film nor do I plan on it. We'll see how he does with the texans is all ill say.

Rey
08-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I hope you're not suggesting that Sharpton doesn't make mistakes (in his limited number of snaps). Go back to last year's home game versus the Jags and watch Sharpton blow a goal line assignment and allow a wide open TD pass to Marcedes Lewis. The problem here is that one of these "liabilities" will be needed to start on this defense. I would choose the one with more experience (Mays) who can stay on the field (Mays). I think Wade will do the same.

Honestly I don't know who starts, but just me not having seen sharpton much at all I'd go with mays. I know he's going to play fast and hit people. I have no idea what sharpton looks like as a LB really. So I'll plead ignorance here.

thunderkyss
08-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Honestly I don't know who starts, but just me not having seen sharpton much at all I'd go with mays. I know he's going to play fast and hit people. I have no idea what sharpton looks like as a LB really. So I'll plead ignorance here.

What are you basing your assessment of Mays on? Other than that hit on Schaub & special teams hits, are there any plays that stand out?