PDA

View Full Version : Texans Defense and the Read Option -- Texans Chick

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
In Wade we trust? The Texans defense and the read option (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/07/wade-phillips-read-option-texans/)
Stephanie Stradley
The hot topic of the NFL off-season? What is the best way for NFL teams to defense the read option offensive scheme?

The Packers defense reportedly were fighting among themselves when they faced the 49ers in the playoffs because they couldn’t stop it.

The 49ers this year are practicing against it because they face both the Seahawks and Redskins, and want to practice their first team running it.

This season, the Texans face two read option teams in the 49ers and Seahawks. In 2012, they faced no read option teams.

In 2011, the Texans lost to the read option Panthers. By Football Outsiders measures, the Texans had by far the worst performance of that season against Carolina. Far below average. That was one of the games where Wade Phillips wasn’t available to call the defensive plays because he was out due to his surgery.

How to defeat the read option...:texans chick:

bayoudreamn
07-27-2013, 09:27 PM
In Wade we trust? The Texans defense and the read option (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/07/wade-phillips-read-option-texans/)
Stephanie Stradley
:texans chick:

Defense against the read option will be interesting this year. I saw all the collegiate program names that were visited by NFL coaches this summer to learn how to defense these systems. I wonder why none went to the the military academies to learn how to defense options? I know those schools don't run the "read-option" or the "pistol" or any of those trendy names that are used now but those programs run the triple option and are considered, I think, the experts on option football and they've run it and defensed it successfully for years with athletes that may not be as gifted and almost certainly don't apply as much time to football as the top football schools

the wonger need food
07-27-2013, 09:44 PM
The same way defenses have beat any "option" based offense over the past 100 years... hit the QB hard and hit the QB often. Once he pulls the ball down and runs he is no longer protected and is fair game to get smashed in the mouth until he decides to quit.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 08:06 AM
The ultimate goal I have seen for teams successfully defending against the "read option" is to effectively use a "spy" system to contain the QB from running....and force him to beat you with his arm.

thunderkyss
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
The ultimate goal I have seen for teams successfully defending against the "read option" is to effectively use a "spy" system to contain the QB from running....and force him to beat you with his arm.

& with Cushing, Sharpton, Manning, or Swearinger being that spy, we should be alright.

None of those read option teams went undefeated either, so it's not like they can't be beat.