PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Texans to meet with Laurent Robinson

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
(Rotoworld) USA Today's Tom Pelissero "hears" the Texans could be the next team to host free agent WR Laurent Robinson. Analysis: Robinson visited the Lions, Jets, and Patriots this week. Detroit signed Chaz Schilens instead, while the Jets re-upped Braylon Edwards. In Houston, Robinson would vie for a job behind Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins.

Rey
07-27-2013, 01:22 AM
Interesting.

htownfan32
07-27-2013, 01:24 AM
I guess the FO wants to bring him in to push Keshawn Martin for the slot receiver job? Good proactive move if so.

Rey
07-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Martin is going to need to take a big step forward. He sucked last season. I wouldn't be handing him any slot receiver duties.

At times last year, he looked pathetic out there trying to catch passes.

ObsiWan
07-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Don't get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Someone enlighten me, please.

TejasTom
07-27-2013, 07:06 AM
.... Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Concussions.

Goldensilence
07-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Don get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Experience. Last year at WR was disgraceful past AJ, no one was consistently stepping up and catching the ball. I don't foresee a big contract for Robinson or know if he'd make the team after pre season, but if they did sign him it'd show the FO is looking to further improve a woeful WR corps from last year.

ChampionTexan
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Don get this - if there's any truth to it - we have 8 WRs on the T/C roster now. And that doesn't include Posey. Don't see what Robinson brings to the table that we don't already have in one of these youngsters.

Actually, there's 10 on the roster at the moment, but if you add up all the NFL stats for the 9 not named Andre Johnson, you get 2 starts and 16 catches for 236 yards. I'm guessing they just want another WR in camp who's got some genuine NFL game-time experience. Also, he's only one year removed from catching 11 TD passes and having a pretty decent season for the Cowboys.

infantrycak
07-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Actually, there's 10 on the roster at the moment, but if you add up all the NFL stats for the 9 not named Andre Johnson, you get 2 starts and 16 catches for 236 yards.

Your point remains but 3 of them had 22 completions for 323 yds last season.

ChampionTexan
07-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Your point remains but 3 of them had 22 completions for 323 yds last season.

I think you're including Posey in those #'s. ObsiWan excluded Posey in his question since he's on active PUP, and I excluded him in my response.

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Someone enlighten me, please.Kicking tires.
Concussions.Yep.

Martin is going to need to take a big step forward...
So far, so good. Keshawn has been getting rave reviews, including yesterday/this morning.

thunderkyss
07-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Laurent Robinson has shown big play ability. Adding him to the mix can't hurt.

Andre, DeAndre, Devier, Martin

or

Andre, DeAndre, Laurent, Martin

or

Andre, DeAndre, Devier, Laurent

looks pretty good to me.

IBleedTexans
07-27-2013, 03:11 PM

or

or

looks pretty good to me.

I could easily see this becoming one of our stronger units ala 2010 rb's.The texans seem to have some pretty good scouts out there. Pretty soon you'll be seeing our scouts becoming assistants for other organizations . The downfall of having a great staff at hand. :fans:

thunderkyss
07-27-2013, 04:39 PM
I could easily see this becoming one of our stronger units ala 2010 rb's.The texans seem to have some pretty good scouts out there. Pretty soon you'll be seeing our scouts becoming assistants for other organizations . The downfall of having a great staff at hand. :fans:

That's still a long time coming. Houston still doesn't get respect out there. We're pretenders until proven otherwise.

Once we win that Championship though..... watch out.

steelbtexan
07-28-2013, 12:21 AM

or

or

looks pretty good to me.

I could see Martin being the 5th WR/KR?PR guy.

Robinson brings 4 things not currently on the Texans roster. Experience/elite size/speed combo, concussions. The ability to score TD's better than any other WR opposite AJ since AJ joined the team.

Robinson isn't a WR1 but he's a very good WR2.

infantrycak
07-28-2013, 01:35 AM
Robinson brings 4 things not currently on the Texans roster. Experience/elite size/speed combo, concussions. The ability to score TD's better than any other WR opposite AJ since AJ joined the team.

Robinson isn't a WR1 but he's a very good WR2.

I am just wondering how you are judging this. Since 2007:

Robinson - 2110 yds, 12.6 ypr, 15 TDs.
Walter - 3923 yds, 12.5 ypr, 24 TDs.

Robinson had 1 good season with 11 of his TD's coming in that season and then suffered multiple concussions.

TheDrifter
07-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Do not want.

Wouldnt have even wanted him before the concussions. He had one good year and turned it into a payday with the Jaguars. Having watched him play before then, he was rarely more than mediocre. We'll be a better franchise if we dont emulate the Jags.

steelbtexan
07-28-2013, 02:19 AM
I am just wondering how you are judging this. Since 2007:

Robinson - 2110 yds, 12.6 ypr, 15 TDs.
Walter - 3923 yds, 12.5 ypr, 24 TDs.

Robinson had 1 good season with 11 of his TD's coming in that season and then suffered multiple concussions.

He's been hurt (Various injuries) every yr besides his big yr with Dallas.

If healthy (Big if) Robinson is a big WR with speed to take the top off of a defense. The Texans have never had a guy like that opposite AJ. If healthy Robinson can open things up for AJ, Foster,OD.

thunderkyss
07-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Do not want.

Wouldnt have even wanted him before the concussions. He had one good year and turned it into a payday with the Jaguars. Having watched him play before then, he was rarely more than mediocre. We'll be a better franchise if we dont emulate the Jags.

Chances of Laurent Robinson getting a pay day from the Houston Texans = 0

Chances of Houston "emulating" the Jags = 0

If we sign Laurent someone in our FO would have to believe he can help the team more than Posey, Jean, Martin, Mahl (sp?), etc..... & he'd have to be league minimum cheap (we still don't have any money).

ObsiWan
07-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Soooo any further developments/reports/better rumors regarding this guy?

Personally, I think if we're still "shopping", it ought to be for an ILB not a WR.

ChampionTexan
07-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Soooo any further developments/reports/better rumors regarding this guy?

Personally, I think if we're still "shopping", it ought to be for an ILB not a WR.

Well, if they're looking at low cost options, shopping for one position doesn't preclude shopping for another at the same time.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Soooo any further developments/reports/better rumors regarding this guy?No, I'm thinking any looks he gets will be courtesy -- he's filed a grievance against the Jags over his 2013 salary.

Robinson had 4 concussions in 2012 alone. Ryan Swope had 4 in college and his 5th at OTAs ended his career. I don't see wasting time with the guy. I certainly wouldn't guarantee a contract for injury.

Personally, I think if we're still "shopping", it ought to be for an ILB not a WR.I'd add TE to that mix. We're thin & inexperienced behind OD and GG, and often use 2-TE sets.

Goldensilence
07-28-2013, 08:46 PM

If we sign Laurent someone in our FO would have to believe he can help the team more than Posey, Jean, Martin, Mahl (sp?), etc..... & he'd have to be league minimum cheap (we still don't have any money).

I think the point is/should be what have those names you listed done to stand out? Not much. Low cost flyer on Robinson isn't a bad option. I doubt his contract would include anything guaranteed.

BullBlitz
07-28-2013, 09:47 PM
We have never had a truly competitive pair of wide receivers. I'm for exploring every option this preseason to make sure that we get best possible.

With that said, I think that the combination on AJ, Hopkins, Martin and Jean is potentially pretty solid. The question is whether or not Schaub can effectively take advantage of this talent in the first place.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 12:17 AM
We have never had a truly competitive pair of wide receivers. I'm for exploring every option this preseason to make sure that we get best possible.

With that said, I think that the combination on AJ, Hopkins, Martin and Jean is potentially pretty solid. The question is whether or not Schaub can effectively take advantage of this talent in the first place.

After all the times Schaub hit Martin square in the hands last year and had him drop the ball, I don't think the problem is Schaub. I think it's going to take a while before Schaub's going to trust Martin.

If Martin can turn it around and if Hopkins is what we hope he is... Schaub could perform exactly as he performed last season and shatter 5000 yards.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 01:36 AM

He's done better with worse.....

signed

Aj, Walter, Jacoby, Anderson

deucetx
07-29-2013, 09:24 AM
So far, so good. Keshawn has been getting rave reviews, including yesterday/this morning.

Just be sure to temper those expectations off those reports. I remember hearing those amazing reports last year in camp as well and then we got...well...no need to return to that horror show. Hopefully the kid has picked it up and is ready but I'm going to wait and see him against competition. Almost seemed like the stage was a bit too bright for him. The talent is there but the mental part of the game was lacking.

Rey
07-29-2013, 10:00 AM

You could be right...Although I can't see them bringing in a guy for no reason at all...

Maybe they brought him in as one of their 'take a look' guys in case of injuries.

mootini
07-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Texans, stay far away!!!! Can't believe they would consider bringing Robinson in?

BullBlitz
07-29-2013, 10:42 PM
He's done better with worse.....

signed

Aj, Walter, Jacoby, Anderson

Good point. What is the best #1/#2 combination that the Texans have ever had?

Could it have been AJ and Walter?

TexanSam
07-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Good point. What is the best #1/#2 combination that the Texans have ever had?

Could it have been AJ and Walter?

Yep. Walter had two pretty good seasons back with the team in 2007 and 2008.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 09:37 AM

Throw in that in 2008 (when Walter had 60 catches for 899 yards) OD added 70 catches for 862 yards, and that is probably the best single year for receivers in the Texans short history. That year A.J. had his second best year in yards (behind 2012), his best year in catches, and his second best year in TD's. Slaton also had his one good season carrying the ball going for 1,282 yards and 4.8 YPC.

The flipside of all this is it was a year Schaub missed 5 starts due to injury, and the Texans went .500 and finished third in the division.

BullBlitz
07-30-2013, 10:04 AM

That's incredible. Well, it sure likes we are getting ready to see strongest set of WRs in team history. Should be fun to watch.

ArlingtonTexan
08-07-2013, 11:35 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/07/colts-to-work-out-laurent-robinson/

Looks like he is doing a tour of America...

Robinson has already worked out for the New York Jets, Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints.