PDA

View Full Version : NFLN: Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

Heath Shuler
07-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218367/article/six-things-learned-from-houston-texans-rick-smith?campaign=Twitter_atl

Six things learned from Houston Texans' Rick Smith

Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith quietly has been one of the best front office leaders since taking over the team in 2006. He's built a consistent winner primarily through the draft. Around The League had a chance to sit down with Smith on Wednesday morning. Here's what we learned from him:

1. The team still is targeting Week 1 for Ed Reed's return
2. The Texans also expect Whitney Mercilus to make a leap
3. Playoff stalls won't change approach
4. Smith is aware of his division surroundings, difficult schedule
5. The Texans may ask Matt Schaub to do more
6. Scheduling the Patriots as a "Homecoming" game was a coincidence

eriadoc
07-17-2013, 12:14 PM

Can't wait for them to break out the lettermen jackets for homecoming. Yeah!

Heath Shuler
07-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Can't wait for them to break out the lettermen jackets for homecoming. Yeah!

LOL I know. Sean Pendergast nominated Seth Payne and his wife for Homecoming King and Queen this year.

Tailgate
07-17-2013, 01:10 PM
2. The Texans also expect Whitney Mercilus to make a leap

I really really want this to happen and that my gut feelings are wrong and just need to focus on this burrito.

HOU-TEX
07-17-2013, 01:12 PM
I really really want this to happen and that my gut feelings are wrong and just need to focus on this burrito.

Feelin sorry for your coworkers. Ha

Thorn
07-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I don't need six things to learn, as you only need to know one thing; each season is different and all predictions are worthless, including your own. :lol:

Tailgate
07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Feelin sorry for your coworkers. Ha

Lol, fortunately for them I office from home and my dog seems to be indifferent about it.

Playoffs
07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I'll tell you what, Rick Smith has grown into a pretty darn good GM for us. He has my respect.

Tailgate
07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I'll tell you what, Rick Smith has grown into a pretty darn good GM for us. He has my respect.

Damn straight. With a strong 13 draft, it will negate any doubt we have one of the very best GMs, if not already.

HOU-TEX
07-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Lol, fortunately for them I office from home and my dog seems to be indifferent about it.

:lol: Nice

ObsiWan
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

The perceived indifference is directly proportional to how regularly you keep filling up the food bowl
:spin:

Tailgate
07-17-2013, 02:31 PM
The perceived indifference is directly proportional to how regularly you keep filling up the food bowl
:spin:

Ha! I think you are on to something...

JCTexan
07-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Okay, I'm confused: what does this mean? Battle Red game?

b0ng
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM

I don't get it either. It's a week 13 Sunday afternoon home game that comes at the end of a 3 game home stretch. Unless the Texans management just schedules "Battle Red Day" on a specific week without looking at the schedule I have no idea what to make of this statement.

Speedy
07-17-2013, 02:46 PM
The Texans have always had a "homecoming" game. It isn't anything like high school. They bring in players from Houston's past during halftime. It's just another designated day like Hispanic Heritage Day or Salute the Military Day.

BTW, Battle Red Day will be the Sunday night game with the Colts.

TexansFTW
07-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't get it either. It's a week 13 Sunday afternoon home game that comes at the end of a 3 game home stretch. Unless the Texans management just schedules "Battle Red Day" on a specific week without looking at the schedule I have no idea what to make of this statement.

LOL. Good stuff. The NFL network guys were confused too, but this article explains that each home game was just given an arbitrary name (or theme) to pump up the fan base:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218111/article/houston-texans-peg-patriots-for-homecoming-game

This is their reaction to "homecoming" games:

We're not sure exactly what homecoming games mean at the NFL level, but that's for another post.

As for #2 and Mercilus I am SO pumped. I think that dude is going to be an absolute monster this year. I mean in limited action last year the guy had 6 sacks and 2 Forced Fumbles. I can only imagine how good he's going to be this year and thus making Ninja even better this year as well.

Rick Smith is a boss GM. We are having more success now than ever in our short franchise history under him and I think it's no coincidence. I'm so pumped for next season and have nothing to do sports wise EXCEPT talk about next season until preseason starts at least.

Rey
07-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Homecoming game....

Why couldn't they have called it something else?

Spirit of Texas day?
Houston pride day?

Anything else besides a homecoming game.

Thorn
07-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Rick Smith is a boss GM. We are having more success now than ever in our short franchise history under him and I think it's no coincidence.

I'm beginning to appreciate Rick Smith a lot more after all the good drafts we've had since he's been in charge. Yeah, we've drafted a few clunkers and missed a few good players, but over all I think Rick Smith has done a very fine job with the Texans.

nero THE zero
07-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Homecoming game....

Why couldn't they have called it something else?

Spirit of Texas day?
Houston pride day?

Anything else besides a homecoming game.

I'd venture a guess that it is an attempt to tie it to the popularity of HS football in Texas.

But, I think the themes and marketing are exorbitantly overdone.

drs23
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Damn straight. With a strong 13 draft, it will negate any doubt we have one of the very best GMs, if not already.

My, how times have changed. It's only been a couple of seasons (and every draft day including the last) since many here wanted him tarred & feathered and run out of town pushing a penny with his nose with that worthless, runnin' scaird HC right behind him.

That stinkin' McNair just has too much patience. :kitten:

drs23
07-17-2013, 04:32 PM

I think it means you'll need to buy your SO a corsage. :D

PapaL
07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
My, how times have changed. It's only been a couple of seasons (and every draft day including the last) since many here wanted him tarred & feathered and run out of town pushing a penny with his nose with that worthless, runnin' scaird HC right behind him.

That stinkin' McNair just has too much patience. :kitten:

That McNair guy...I'll tell you what, is a cheapo. Doesn't want to spend the money to win.

drs23
07-17-2013, 05:08 PM
That McNair guy...I'll tell you what, is a cheapo. Doesn't want to spend the money to win.

Yeah, that's the first thing I learned after joining this MB. SecondHoneymoon hammered that early and often.

Glad Mr. "Tight Wad" McNair wasn't reading. It'd have cost him many sleepless nights, I'm sure. :D