PDA

View Full Version : Defensive backfield eval

badboy
07-12-2013, 04:01 PM
ESPN.comís resident scout, Matt Williamson, ranks the AFC South position-by-position. Texans are first. Some snippets:

ďReed's best days are long behind him, but I love the addition to the Texans for one huge reason: He is a winner from a great organization and what he brings behind the scenes could pay off HUGE. The Texans really are not that far from being an expansion team and most of their best players are all home grown players-that have never won the big one. Reed, a future Hall of Famer coming off a SB win brings instant credibility to the locker room and even if he doesn't play at a real high level, is a great addition-and something Houston should have done long ago.Ē

As for meÖ (Paul Kuharskey)

"Jackson really blossomed last season when Joseph dealt with a bunch of injuries. If a healthy Joseph returns to form, they could be one of the best cornerback duos in the league. Iíve written about Reedís swagger and like Williamson, I expect heíll have a great effect even if he isnít always playing or isnít playing quite up to his standards."
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/51434/unit-by-unit-ranking-the-defensive-backs

The Pencil Neck
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
You're Paul Kuharskey?

Seriously, though, use the quote button.

Showtime100
07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I like the quote button too. :foottap:

As for the article.....

Reed, a future Hall of Famer coming off a SB win brings instant credibility to the locker room..............

I'm as happy as the next guy Reed will be in Houston although I look at his health at the moment with a suspicious eye, but "instant credibility to the locker room" spoken so open-endedly is way over the top, imo.

badboy
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
You're Paul Kuharskey?

Seriously, though, use the quote button.Seriously dude if you read the article you would have known Kuharsky had interviewed another guy. First quote was his and second was Kuharsky's and why I identified who "ask for me" was. TBH I could care less if you read my posts or not.

The Pencil Neck
07-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Seriously dude if you read the article you would have known Kuharsky had interviewed another guy. First quote was his and second was Kuharsky's and why I identified who "ask for me" was. TBH I could care less if you read my posts or not.

The problem was there was NO QUOTE.

The Pencil Neck
07-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Seriously dude if you read the article you would have known Kuharsky had interviewed another guy. First quote was his and second was Kuharsky's and why I identified who "ask for me" was. TBH I could care less if you read my posts or not.

I went back and looked at the original post.

Here's the problem, when I'm reading your post, I haven't read the article, yet. Based on what you write, people decide whether or not to read the article.

You did a copy and paste and that's where it gets confusing. What you copied and pasted had quotes but because it wasn't embedded in a quote, part of it that was a quote shows up as though you were saying it. And then it gets confusing about what's you and what's from the article.

And TBH, I couldn't care less if I read your posts or not.

badboy
07-12-2013, 10:28 PM
The problem was there was NO QUOTE.What are you talking about? In the OP I said Williamson gave evaluations and offered snippet in quotes. I then added a quote from Kuharsky and made sure I gave credit so it would NOT look like my quote. You are really reaching here.

The Pencil Neck
07-12-2013, 11:26 PM
What are you talking about? In the OP I said Williamson gave evaluations and offered snippet in quotes. I then added a quote from Kuharsky and made sure I gave credit so it would NOT look like my quote. You are really reaching here.

"As for me... (Paul Kuharskey)" That's a direct quote from the piece but because it's not in quotes, it looks like you're saying YOU'RE Paul Kuharskey.

Just put the whole thing in a [ quote ][ /quote ], what's the big deal?

jppaul
07-13-2013, 12:32 AM
And TBH, I couldn't care less if I read your posts or not.

Raise your hand if you had to look up "TBH".

steelbtexan
07-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Raise your hand if you had to look up "TBH".

Yep

And PN's post was condescending at best and rude at worst. TBH

infantrycak
07-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Wow some people get hurt easily. Are you mad if someone comes up and tells you your blinker is on too?

steelbtexan
07-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Wow some people get hurt easily. Are you mad if someone comes up and tells you your blinker is on too?

Whatever, I've got no horse in the game.

Just call them like I see them, some people dont like that and get their panties in a wad.

Back on topic, if the DB's get healthy/stay healthy the Texans should have a top 5 in the NFL DB group. Of course if Schaub's foot doesn't hold up all of this probably wont matter.

The Pencil Neck
07-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Yep

It wasn't meant to be condescending, it was meant to point out a breach of MB etiquette. Cak has been asking everyone to use the quotes properly. If we're asking gary to use the quotes, then we should ask badboy to use the quotes especially when there was a post where it was confusing because he didn't. Like Cak said in another thread, everyone has been asked repeatedly to use the quotes.

steelbtexan
07-13-2013, 11:46 AM
It wasn't meant to be condescending, it was meant to point out a breach of MB etiquette. Cak has been asking everyone to use the quotes properly. If we're asking gary to use the quotes, then we should ask badboy to use the quotes especially when there was a post where it was confusing because he didn't. Like Cak said in another thread, everyone has been asked repeatedly to use the quotes.

Did not know this,

Hope you accept my apology

thunderkyss
07-13-2013, 12:14 PM

I've been trying as well. It's not so much as MB etiquette, it's just confusing to me.

I see badboy's name, I start reading the post & I'm thinking, "Dude's on point, he knows his sht."

Then I realize it wasn't badboy's thoughts/opinion at all.

Other times, I'm reading iDexaN & I'm like,"WTF is he talking about" then I realize he quoted John McClain....

I can understand how it looks like such a "little" thing to some.... but when we're not looking at each other face to face as we try to converse, every little bit helps.

nero THE zero
07-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I agree that people should use the quote function, but I really don't understand how you can read a post that says, Matt Williamson analyzed X, here are some snippets, follow by a couple of paragraphs enclosed in quotation marks, and not realize you are reading a quoted piece rather than the poster's thoughts.

Regarding the OP, it's tough not to be excited about our DB's. It's easily the strongest unit on our team. I think the real wild cards there will be (1) McCain and (2) health.

If we can get 2011 McCain and everyone stays relatively healthy our pass D will be amazing.

The Pencil Neck
07-14-2013, 11:39 AM
I agree that people should use the quote function, but I really don't understand how you can read a post that says, Matt Williamson analyzed X, here are some snippets, follow by a couple of paragraphs enclosed in quotation marks, and not realize you are reading a quoted piece rather than the poster's thoughts.

Look at it this way. Here are a few snippets:
Begin quote.

"Quote 1. This one is in quotations and is obviously someone else.

This is from me... (Paul Kuharskey)

"Quote 2. This one is in quotations and is obviously someone else."

End of quote.

The problem is that "This is from me... (Paul Kuharskey)" line. It's not within a quote so it looks like it's Badboy speaking. Paul Kuharskey used to post on this MB. Because of that, I had a few moments of... Badboy is Paul Kuharskey?

Where I've written "begin quote" and "end quote", if there had been [ quote ] and [ /quote ] written at those points, the whole thing would have obviously been a quote but without them, it's not.

Even then, if this had been the first time that Badboy had posted something without embedding the quoted material in quotes, that would have been fine, but it isn't. He does this a lot.

thunderkyss
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
& it's easier than copying & pasting. Click the button, then paste.

Easy, Easy, easy.

badboy
07-14-2013, 01:45 PM
"As for me... (Paul Kuharskey)" That's a direct quote from the piece but because it's not in quotes, it looks like you're saying YOU'RE Paul Kuharskey.

Just put the whole thing in a [ quote ][ /quote ], what's the big deal?Why would I claim to be an ESPN writer? You really had trouble figuring that out? To quote you, "What's the big deal?"

The Pencil Neck
07-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Why would I claim to be an ESPN writer? You really had trouble figuring that out? To quote you, "What's the big deal?"

That's just it, the way you copy and paste parts of articles frequently makes it look like you've written something you haven't written. This isn't the only time it has happened. You do it over and over and over. If you don't want to do it right (which would only take one extra select/click), fine by me. I was just trying to bring it to your attention.

The Pencil Neck
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Now... to the CONTENT of the post.

This was part of a series comparing the various position units within the AFC South and ranking them. It was interesting to go through and see how they had us ranked:

Coaches: Colts, Texans, Titans, Jags
DB: Texans, Titans, Colts, Jags
LB: Texans, Colts, Titans, Jags
DL: Texans, Titans, Jags, Colts

OL: Titans, Texans, Jags, Colts
TE: Colts, Titans, Texans, Jags
WR: Texans, Colts, Titans, Jags
RB: Texans, Titans, Jags, Colts
QB: Colts, Texans, Titans, Jags

What has Pagano done? That coaching job last year was on Arians as far as I'm concerned. When Pagano came back, the wheels came off. I have Kubiak as the best coach in the AFC South until someone else does something.

I think OD and GG are under-rated.

The right side of the line combined with all the moves the Titans made this offseason killed us on the OL ranking.

ChampionTexan
07-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Why would I claim to be an ESPN writer? You really had trouble figuring that out? To quote you, "What's the big deal?"

Forget MB Etiquette for a second.

Why would you go to all the trouble of documenting information that you find interesting and obviously believe other people might also, and then not take the 5 seconds (Okay, in reality, probably more like 2 or 3) to make it a bit easier to read and understand?

Even if it's only a little bit easier, and even if it's only some of the people, you're the one saying it's interesting/relevant/persuasive - why not make it easier to get your point across to everyone?

thunderkyss
07-14-2013, 04:36 PM
What has Pagano done? That coaching job last year was on Arians as far as I'm concerned. When Pagano came back, the wheels came off. I have Kubiak as the best coach in the AFC South until someone else does something.

I think OD and GG are under-rated.

The right side of the line combined with all the moves the Titans made this offseason killed us on the OL ranking.

I agree. No way we have the third best TEs of the bunch.

WR.... I love me some Aj & he's the best of the whole group, I think, hands down. But I don't believe we have the best group. I'd give that one to the Colts.

I also think we have the best QB. Luck might have more potential, but Schaub's a better QB right now & you're sucking some serious eggs if you don't think so.

thunderkyss
07-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Why would you go to all the trouble of documenting information that you find interesting and obviously believe other people might also, and then not take the 5 seconds (Okay, in reality, probably more like 2 or 3) to make it a bit easier to read and understand?

Even if it's only a little bit easier, and even if it's only some of the people, you're the one saying it's interesting/relevant/persuasive - why not make it easier to get your point across to everyone?

It's not even a second. You click the button, then right click & past like you were going to do any way.

EllisUnit
07-14-2013, 05:23 PM
i love how this turned into a "lesson of the quote button" haha

thunderkyss
07-14-2013, 07:41 PM
i love how this turned into a "lesson of the quote button" haha

Fixed it for ya

76Texan
07-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Other times, I'm reading iDexaN & I'm like,"WTF is he talking about" then I realize he quoted John McClain....

I had to LOL at that; funny sheez!

I like TPN and badboy both; after a long while, you just know to expect the different styles.

One is an aspired writer, the other goes for the simplicity of a unique thought of the moment.

:worldpeace:

badboy
07-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Forget MB Etiquette for a second.

Even if it's only a little bit easier, and even if it's only some of the people, you're the one saying it's interesting/relevant/persuasive - why not make it easier to get your point across to everyone?Because I felt I had identified an article, provided a link to said article, identified what I was posting as snippets from the article which in my mind shows I did not write the second snippet and both snippets were in quotes. I have read my OP several times and do not see how anyone could possibly believe I was the author of the second quote especially as I identified it as Kuharsky's.

This is the point I and others made on Infantrycak's thread on "etiquette". I am on MB to get and give info and read opinions. I am not on here to be concerned about your (anyone) "cringes" on grammer or punctuation. There are examples of extremely poor spelling or misuse of language but if I can understand the message, I will either consider it or not. I have posted this way since I came onto board. TK and Pencilneck have pointed out a technique that I can use and I will try to do so if I remember. It is not a big deal for me if I do not.

When I posted, I did think it was easy to read and understand. Others in this thread have found it readable and understood. I am not a professional writer nor have I claimed to be. I find info I think others may find useful or interesting and might initiate discussion. Some of you choose to discuss the way I post rather than what is being said. Your choice.

The Pencil Neck
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Because I felt I had identified an article, provided a link to said article, identified what I was posting as snippets from the article which in my mind shows I did not write the second snippet and both snippets were in quotes. I have read my OP several times and do not see how anyone could possibly believe I was the author of the second quote especially as I identified it as Kuharsky's.

The part you identified as Kuharsky was outside of a quote.

I'm going to write some quoted material.

"Here's some quoted material."

But as for me... (Paul Kuharskey)

"Some more stuff."

When the "But as for me" is outside of a quote, it means that YOU are the writer. Putting "(Paul Kuharskey)" there doesn't identify it as being inside a quote, it identifies you as being Paul Kuharskey (the "me" in the quote.) You can't see that?

The only thing that's being asked is that when you copy and paste something into a message, just click on the quote button. It doesn't matter about this particular post, it's about the future and the past. It's not hard to do and it will save on a lot of miscommunication in the future.

ObsiWan
07-15-2013, 05:51 PM
The part you identified as Kuharsky was outside of a quote.

When the "But as for me" is outside of a quote, it means that YOU are the writer. Putting "(Paul Kuharskey)" there doesn't identify it as being inside a quote, it identifies you as being Paul Kuharskey (the "me" in the quote.) You can't see that?

The only thing that's being asked is that when you copy and paste something into a message, just click on the quote button. It doesn't matter about this particular post, it's about the future and the past. It's not hard to do and it will save on a lot of miscommunication in the future.

Stop.
He said okay...
TK and Pencilneck have pointed out a technique that I can use and I will try to do so if I remember. It is not a big deal for me if I do not.

:D

The Pencil Neck
07-15-2013, 06:01 PM
My bad.

Sorry.