PDA

View Full Version : Training camp 2013

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

IBleedTexans
07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Does anybody have any info on the tickets this year? Maybe I missed it but I don't Remember them coming out this late in the year

Lurvinator11
07-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Does anybody have any info on the tickets this year? Maybe I missed it but I don't Remember them coming out this late in the year

Drew Dourghtey said they will be available next week. Also, They actually did come out about this time last year.

I know it feels like it's been longer than last year, but last year they announced on July 14th IIRC.

IBleedTexans
07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Drew Dourghtey said they will be available next week. Also, They actually did come out about this time last year.

I know it feels like it's been longer than last year, but last year they announced on July 14th IIRC.

Thanx a million, I wounder how they're going to release em. I remember one of the first years I went , we had to pick em up at wingstop. Bet they'll be even harder to get this year

Allstar
07-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm not going this year. Last year was way too much trouble after our first playoffs. I'd imagine it'll be even crazier this year.

painekiller
07-11-2013, 11:51 PM
The weekdays mornings are not to bad. The night time practices and the weekends are nuts.

As for the getting the tickets, the last few years have they have been available online, and it has been easy to get them.

ObsiWan
07-12-2013, 12:05 AM
The weekdays mornings are not to bad. The night time practices and the weekends are nuts.

As for the getting the tickets, the last few years have they have been available online, and it has been easy to get them.

Yeah, the mothership will put up a link and you "apply" for them on line. Then you print out your copy. As I recall, you could reserve up to four seats (maybe more). Hopefully that'll start soon. Tell you what, weekends and nights get maxed out real quick. I take off one or two weekday mornings so as not to get caught in the weekend/night mad house.

b0ng
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM

"easy" is a pretty relative term here. Last year I basically sat on the PC refreshing the Texans site trying to nab a weekend day and weekday. Took me about 6 hours just to get those two days printed out and ready to rock and roll.

HOU-TEX
07-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not going this year. Last year was way too much trouble after our first playoffs. I'd imagine it'll be even crazier this year.

I'm with ya, man. I went every year up until last season. Waaay too crowded for that space. I like all Texans fans, but I'd rather not be shoulder to shoulder with you. Ha

I might go to a weekday morning practice if I'm off, but not going to make it a point like I used to.

IDEXAN
07-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm with ya, man. I went every year up until last season. Waaay too crowded for that space. I like all Texans fans, but I'd rather not be shoulder to shoulder with you. Ha

I might go to a weekday morning practice if I'm off, but not going to make it a point like I used to.
Yep, went to some practices back in the day when it'd just be a couple guys standing around watching the one-on-ones between a DLineman and Olineman and you were so close you could almost reach out and touch them. But then had the opportunity to go to a practice in the last couple years and that same scene was now a very large crowd. So not as enjoyable with the easy access as the first few years, but that's the price of success I guess.

IBleedTexans
07-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Yep, went to some practices back in the day when it'd just be a couple guys standing around watching the one-on-ones between a DLineman and Olineman and you were so close you could almost reach out and touch them. But then had the opportunity to go to a practice in the last couple years and that same scene was now a very large crowd. So not as enjoyable with the easy access as the first few years, but that's the price of success I guess.

Yea , my bro and I have been going for the past 4 - 5 years and at first it was nice to go and enjoy the hardworking atmosphere . It felt like a private practice with about 100 or 200 there. It's not the same ,but I just love going and knowing football season's here !!!

EllisUnit
07-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Thats what its like to go to a good teams practice :), i mean really in 03 and 04 who wanted to go and see carr get treated like a rag doll anyways.

76Texan
07-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Crowded?

It's not even a relative term.

Just Google largest crowd for NFL training camp for the true meaning of there term.

41,000 plus is crowded.

I've read about crowds of 20K for many sessions of certain teams through the years, it makes us look like minor league. :worldpeace:

Allstar
07-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Crowded?

It's not even a relative term.

Just Google largest crowd for NFL training camp for the true meaning of there term.

41,000 plus is crowded.

I've read about crowds of 20K for many sessions of certain teams through the years, it makes us look like minor league. :worldpeace:

It's still relative. putting 10 people on a basketball court isn't crowded. Putting 10 people in a bathroom stall is crowded. There is not enough room or seats for the people that attend the Texans training camp.

76Texan
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
It's still relative. putting 10 people on a basketball court isn't crowded. Putting 10 people in a bathroom stall is crowded. There is not enough room or seats for the people that attend the Texans training camp.

Don't go all TPN on me, LOL :worldpeace:

But honestly, for me, going to TC is to see certain players to try to gauge their progress. I've never sat down at any session.

It's not like, hey, I want a vacation off the beaten track; this thing is becoming too touristy for me.

:worldpeace:

Today must be World Peace Day, haha.

HOU-TEX
07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Open camp dates

The dates for the open practices are as follows:

Tuesday, July 30, 8-10 a.m.
Wednesday, July 31, 8-10 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 1, 8-10 a.m.
Friday, Aug. 2, 8-10 a.m.
Monday, Aug. 5, 8-10 a.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 6, 8-10 a.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 7, 8-10 a.m.

While tickets to attend these sessions is free, they must be printed on the team's official website beginning at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 17.

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/list-texans-open-training-camp-dates

From HT.com for those like me that do not trust anyone
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-announce-dates-times-for-open-practice/7fd60ff1-766c-4ff3-9268-8df440f2c08d

htowntexans1985
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Why no weekend dates?:devilpig:

ObsiWan
07-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Open camp dates

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/list-texans-open-training-camp-dates

From HT.com for those like me that do not trust anyone
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-announce-dates-times-for-open-practice/7fd60ff1-766c-4ff3-9268-8df440f2c08d

Stand (or sit) by your computers on Wednesday morning!! Free tickets can be printed from the Texans official website, www.HoustonTexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/), beginning at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, July 17, with a limit of four per person, per practice while supplies last. Tickets for Youth Day on August 5 will be available exclusively at Houston-area Academy Sports Outdoors locations while supplies last as well. Bleacher seating at each practice session is general admission.

b0ng
07-16-2013, 10:13 AM
looking at http://www.houstontexans.com/tickets/camp-ticket-info.html and I notice that if you have season tickets I think you can print out training camp tickets right now. Have to have your Texans account number to do it.

pissknocker
07-16-2013, 11:23 AM
As a season ticket holder. It only allowed me to get 4 passes for one date. In the email it specified 4 passes for each date. Oh well. I can only brave those crowds once anyway.

texanskan
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know if your a season ticket holder you can get a weekend or a night pass or is it just for sponsors?

htowntexans1985
07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know if your a season ticket holder you can get a weekend or a night pass or is it just for sponsors?

I was able to get 4 for August 4th. Which is a Sunday. They had a exclusive offer for priority wait list members today. It was the only open practice for the weekend. :hurrah:

Any one else get in on this?

xman30
07-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I was able to get 4 for August 4th. Which is a Sunday. They had a exclusive offer for priority wait list members today. It was the only open practice for the weekend. :hurrah:

I did!!! Made my day!!! :):hurrah::splits:

xman30

htowntexans1985
07-16-2013, 08:18 PM

xman30

See ya their bro.

ObsiWan
07-17-2013, 04:51 AM

xman30

You DO realize you have to post up-to-the-minute camp reports to the MB, right?
:D

:texflag:

htowntexans1985
07-17-2013, 09:38 AM
You DO realize you have to post up-to-the-minute camp reports to the MB, right?
:D

:texflag:

I Call dibs on the cheerleaders. I will be keeping a close eye on their technique.

Lurvinator11
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Waiting for the Tickets to become available

IBleedTexans
07-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Waiting for the Tickets to become available

Fridays sold out already

Lurvinator11
07-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Fridays sold out already

Already got my tickets :swatter:

b0ng
07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Got my tickets wasn't nearly as bad as it was last year so go ticketmaster for being ready this time around.

Will be there the first open date (Tuesday, July 30th).

gary
07-17-2013, 11:11 AM
All I see is security check?

Brewski
07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
I got mine as well, It was no problem at all. I will be out there on friday.

gary
07-17-2013, 11:34 AM
I got mine as well, It was no problem at all. I will be out there on friday.How?

b0ng
07-17-2013, 01:39 PM
All tickets sold out. Hope you got yours!

Brewski
07-17-2013, 03:59 PM
How?

I got an email with a link to buy the tickets through ticketmaster. I clicked the link, and it took me straight to the page to buy the tickets.

ObsiWan
07-17-2013, 06:39 PM
All tickets sold out. Hope you got yours!

There's one last chance. I just scored 4 tickets at Academy for Monday morning (8/5). Go check your local Academy store to see if they have any left.

HT.com says that the Academy facebook page can tell you if your local store has tickets but I did not find any info there. So I just popped into my neighborhood store and inquired at the front counter.

Beer and Metal
07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Couldn't get any while at work. If anyone is feeling generous, I'd like to get a couple for anytime. I just met a lady who's a big Texans fan, and think it would be cool to take her there.

Judging the cost, I'm willing to give an arm(y man) and a leg(o) to get two.

HOU-TEX
07-18-2013, 08:39 AM
They've allowed people in without tickets the past several years. Guys are out front handing them out to people that don't have them. IMO, it's likely the reason it's so dadgum crowded.

IDEXAN
07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I remember in the years when it was NP getting tickets to every practice, but then you had to figure out which practice(s) Kubiak would put them in full-pads because that's when they'd have a live scrimmage and some real one-on-one competition.
So most people couldn't go to every practice and the trick therefor was getting a heads-up on the more entertaining "full-pads" practices which I guess now will be even fewer in number under the more limited-contact rules of the new CBA ?

BullBlitz
07-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Got two for Friday and four for Sunday as well. Just two weeks away.

xman30
07-20-2013, 07:07 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tickets-Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-7-30-13-NFL-Autographs-Prizes-Free-Ship-/190871364016?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c70d1e1b0

This listing on ebay for Texans training camp tickets is using a picture of mine!!! Shame!!! :(

xman30

IBleedTexans
07-20-2013, 07:40 PM
I wasn't able to get any this year. If anyone has any extras for Friday I would gladly appreciate them . Thx in advance .

Playoffs
07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Texans waived DL RaShon Sonny Harris. (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5416/rashon-harris)

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
Texans release NT Sunny Harris. Harris showed some potential last year in preseason before injury but looked out of shape at OTAs this year

PDS ‏@PatDStat
#Texans RT @RavensInsider: Texans placed Earl Okine on physically unable to perform list

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Texans also placed Orhian Johnson on non-football injury list

The Pencil Neck
07-22-2013, 11:17 PM
Texans waived DL RaShon Sonny Harris. (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5416/rashon-harris)

Texans release NT Sunny Harris. Harris showed some potential last year in preseason before injury but looked out of shape at OTAs this year

Wow. That's a surprise. We had some hopes for him this year.

Texn4life
07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Wow. That's a surprise. We had some hopes for him this year.

Just making room for Casey Hampton :kitten:

DoCRoN
07-23-2013, 06:47 AM
I picked up 4 for Friday but won't be going. IBleedTexans, you still need tickets? I'll PM you..

Playoffs
07-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Rookies reported Monday, veterans report today. :logo:

Playoffs
07-25-2013, 01:09 PM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Tim Jamison has been cleared as of Friday. Said he was "shocked" to here the words
Brooks says the question marks about the right side will be taken as a challenge. Added that Newton is ready to go. #texanstalk

Brandon Brooks said one of the reasons he got his weight down to 335 is bc of the idea of a muddle huddle being used. #texanstalk
#texans rookie Trevardo Williams said he's been working at SAM. Said he's only dropped back in coverage a few times in college.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Brandon Brooks said in addition to the heat, he got his weight down for sugar huddle stuff. #Texans

RG Brandon Brooks on coming in as the starter "I know what they expect of me, I know what I expect of myself" #Texans
Rookie NT Chris Jones said technique took him some time to learn at first. Now that he knows the play book, it's easier to apply.
"when I feel like old dpo again - I don't mean to speak in third person -I'll be out there," posey #Texans

Posey is about six months removed from his Achilles surgery. Doctors initially told him 6 to 9 months of rehab. #Texans

Posey says he's trying to prepare "for a career, not just one game" do he'll be smart with the end of his rehab. #Texans

DeVier Posey says he's on the last leg of his rehab. Working on one-leg explosion and jumping/coming down. #Texans

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks, man.

Playoffs
07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley
Reason why @JJ Watt hasn't decided on elbow brace for games despite health? He told me before it was bc of slightly higher risk of re-injury.
#Texans Matt Schaub@MSchaub8 said that they may change play at line based on D look maybe 30% of time but do in way not as obvious as other teams.
#Texans Chris Myers@CMyers55 talked about Schaub having flexibility for calling plays. They audible/have options but more subtle than some teams.

Antonio Smith on HGH testing "I don't like needles ... I'm not scared of them, I just don't like them." #Texans

"as of yet, no. I'm not worried about it." Antonio Smith on whether his contract talks have progressed. #Texans

"he got taught a lesson. That needed to happen early on." Antonio Smith on rookie Sam Montgomery. #Texans

"these guys look like they've been in the league already," Antonio Smith on the rookies #Texans
"It just seems that his hands swallow the football. It's very impressive" Schaub on Hopkins. #Texans

Schaub says he signed up for a role that comes with praise and criticism. Talks about having to get better. #Texans

Matt Schaub is here. " We weren't the last team standin last year so we all failed."#Texans
Watt is very happy about how his elbow feels. Won't wear the brace for practices. Might use it for games. Hasn't decided. #Texans

Watt is using as motivation those who say he'll have a good year this year, but not as good as last year. "Why not?" he asks. #Texans

"You gotta block all 11 of us not just me... I'm not going to give up just because you throw 3 or 4 guys at me" watt. #Texans

"Cush doesn't like to say things like that about too many people ... It's an honor" JJ Watt on the effusive praise Cushing gave him. #Texans
Andre Johnson said Ed Reed is feeling fine and "he'll be ready to go opening day." #Texans

" I'm not taking anything. ... Whatever they need to do to stay on top of guys ... I'm all for it." Johnson on HGH testing #Texans

Is this the most weapons you've played with? "Since I've been in the NFL, yeah," Andre Johnson. #Texans

"I'm the old head now. I'm not really used to being the old guy, but I'm willing to help (the young guys)," Andre Johnson. #Texansit's always fun being chased ... Over the past history here you've been trying to get to that point." center Chris Myers #Texans

"unjustified," Myers on criticism of Matt Schaub. #Texans

"It's Super Bowl or bust for everybody that wants to make it," Myers.
Swearinger on Sam Montgomery about being on the NFI list. "I told him he has to step it up. It's disappointing to be on that list" #Texans

"on this level you've got to target lower when you hit guys," DJ Swearinger on staying aggressive without incurring penalties. #Texans

Johnson said that he talked with Ed Reed and he told him that he'll be ready for opening day. #texans

Johnson said he's never seen hands like Hopkins has. Never seen some one catch balls one handed like he does
J.J Watt said over and over he loves Houston. He was also wearing a shirt remembering the 4 fallen FF in Houston.

Watt - "Ed will take care of the back end and ill take care of the front end"

Watt, "I'm always the one going after people"

JJ Watt "everybody knows what the deal around here is all about"

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
@JJWatt watched film from last year. Saw missed sacks, missed batted ball opps. "I'm by far my harshest critic." #Texans

@JJWatt: "We definitely did not play up to our potential last season." #Texans

@JJWatt "I need to keep getting better." #Texans

@JJ Watt talked to Sam Montgomery. He has a lot of talent. "We'll get him right." #Texans

Rey
07-25-2013, 03:26 PM
http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com//assets/images/imported/HOU/960rookies.jpg

Rey
07-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Trevardo Williams looks small...LOL...

Montgomery looks like he's in great shape there...Wonder when this was taken...

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Trevardo Williams looks small...LOL...

Montgomery looks like he's in great shape there...Wonder when this was taken...

He really, really does...

But Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery, and Quessenberry look like a monsters.

DX-TEX
07-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 8m
Texans safety Ed Reed (hip) and running back Arian Foster (calf) were placed on PUP list todayExpand

It begiiiiiiiiiins!!!!

Maybe Ed and Arian are sitting under an overpass, next to a cardboard box while sharing a 40oz talking **** about Brady.

Texn4life
07-25-2013, 05:56 PM
It begiiiiiiiiiins!!!!

Maybe Ed and Arian are sitting under an overpass, next to a cardboard box while sharing a 40oz talking **** about Brady.

I think that this was kind of expected for Reed to be placed on the PUP list. We were told Arian would be ready to go by the start of TC, but I expect him to be removed from it pretty soon. Much ado about nothing IMO.

thunderkyss
07-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Got two for Friday and four for Sunday as well. Just two weeks away.

I don't care what no body says.... the Colts have the classiest fans in the NFL.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
I think that this was kind of expected for Reed to be placed on the PUP list. We were told Arian would be ready to go by the start of TC, but I expect him to be removed from it pretty soon. Much ado about nothing IMO.

Arian is now 2 months post being "carted off the field" with a "minor calf strain." This is separate from a simple calf muscle "spasm" as seen with some conditions as dehydration. I emphasized that calf injuries can be even more worrisome than hamstring injuries. When it first occurred I posted that ANY calf strains/tears on one side commonly sets up for strain/tears of the other calf...and is definitely associated with such.

I will now point out that the Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. And a common cause leading to Achilles tendon strain/tear is a chronic tightening of the calf muscles, especially following re-injured or unhealed calf strain/tear. This chronic tightening can lead to chronic inflammation and thus weakening of the Achilles tendon (Achilles tendonitis), which is the prodrome to its tear/rupture.

Not having Arian at least participate in practices after this length of time, especially non-contact, reasonably confirms to me that this certainly was not a "minor" problem from the onset. Whether it is a function of his heavy load last year or not, there is something that is going on that for whatever reason is not being revealed at this time.

Texn4life
07-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Arian is now 2 months post being "carted off the field" with a "minor calf strain." This is separate from a simple calf muscle "spasm" as seen with some conditions as dehydration. I emphasized that calf injuries can be even more worrisome than hamstring injuries. When it first occurred I posted that ANY calf strains/tears on one side commonly sets up for strain/tears of the other calf...and is definitely associated with such.

I will now point out that the Achilles tendon connects the calf muscles to the heel bone. And a common cause leading to Achilles tendon strain/tear is a chronic tightening of the calf muscles, especially following re-injured or unhealed calf strain/tear. This chronic tightening can lead to chronic inflammation and thus weakening of the Achilles tendon (Achilles tendonitis), which is the prodrome to its tear/rupture.

Not having Arian at least participate in practices after this length of time, especially non-contact, reasonably confirms to me that this certainly was not a "minor" problem from the onset. Whether it is a function of his heavy load last year or not, there is something that is going on that for whatever reason is not being revealed at this time.

I definitely trust your opinion on things such as this. I guess if anything positive can be taken from him sitting out its the reps Tate and the younger guys are going to get. Arian doesn't need much practice time so I just hope its more of them wanting to take the cautious approach and get him back into the mix once the grind of TC ends.

Brisco_County
07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Achilles tendons... If only I could think of a metaphor to describe such a fatal weakness in this otherwise formidable team.

BullBlitz
07-25-2013, 09:11 PM

It sure sounds like it. Six weeks until prime time sounds likes very short period of time for him to get game ready if he is still dealing with this. And even if he is, leg injuries have such a tendency to become nagging problems that it often takes a full offseason to recover. Tate is an adequate #2, but certainly not the threat that Foster is.

Hopefully he will recover quickly.

PapaL
07-25-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm happy to see Tate get carries. Let Arian rest throughout TC.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 07:07 AM
The Texans placed Darryl Sharpton on the non-football injury list and Garrett Graham on the non-football illness list.

Rey
07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
The Texans placed Darryl Sharpton on the non-football injury list and Garrett Graham on the non-football illness list.

Seems like quite a few players are making their way on to some sort of "list"...

Hopefully this is just a phase.

beerlover
07-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Seems like quite a few players are making their way on to some sort of "list"...

Right....or self imposed strategy to put emphasis more on rookies, undrafted free agents & borderline roster players. Getting bounced out after beating the Bengals back to back playoff experiences in large part because they have lacked depth @ key positions should weigh heavily on keeping top players, including Ed Reed, Arian Foster & Andre Johnson fresh when it counts by developing better depth around them, a good idea. :kitten:

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
This is what the #Texans will see as they walk to 1st training camp practice this am

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQGYI4KCIAAahoX.jpg

AngryNateFTW
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
According to John McClain, Sam Montgomery just limped off the field...

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 09:02 AM

One thing Texans don't do that I think they should is team stretching. They put that on the player to do beforehand, which invites a quick injury/pull imo.

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Ladanian Tomlinson here reporting for the NFL Network.

DX-TEX
07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Ladanian Tomlinson here reporting for the NFL Network.

Good. Maybe he can get through to Montgomery about being in shape.

badboy
07-26-2013, 09:19 AM
He really, really does...

But Brennan Williams, Sam Montgomery, and Quessenberry look like a monsters.
I think Q will surprise some before season over.

Just making room for Casey Hampton :kitten:FYI, think I heard he just signed but cannot find supportive info on him

Rey
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Ladanian on 610 right now.

drs23
07-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Seems that way doesn't it. Supernaw found himself on the waived list/no recall. Guess he never recovered from his foot injury and there's a pile of TEs fighting for one roster spot.

I had high hopes for him prior. Hope he recovers fully and can grab a chance somewhere else.

paycheck71
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
One thing Texans don't do that I think they should is team stretching. They put that on the player to do beforehand, which invites a quick injury/pull imo.

I remember hearing the Texans strength and conditioning coach on 610 a couple of weeks ago, and Vandermeer asked him about this. He pretty much said that each player has his own stretching program. They all have all the resources at their disposal, including personal trainers to assist them with stretching. I'm assuming that each player gets a stretching routine designed for them with the help of the Texans personnel, and it's not just up to them to do it on their own.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Stretching is an interesting subject. Studies have shown that when you stretch, you actually get weaker. Pure, old-school stretching should generally be done after a workout when the muscle is warm as opposed to prior to a workout.

What you should do before an athletic activity is warm-up: get your blood circulating and the muscles and tendons prepared for battle. The best way to warm-up is to simulate the activity you're going to do at a lower level of intensity.

This is counter to what people were taught 15-20+ years ago but it's been known in S&C circles for about 10-15 years.

Each player should have a specific stretching routine that they perform after workouts and at other designated times.

Porky
07-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Mods - Could we have someone open a thread dedicated exclusively to training camp updates, reports, and issues and have it stickied at the top? I'm not sure this one is it as there is talk about tickets and such, but if it is can we sticky it?

Heath Shuler
07-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Despite the ankle injury Montgomery suffered this morning, he came back and finished practice
https://twitter.com/PatDStat

Texn4life
07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Ladanian on 610 right now.

He loves Houston teams.

On another note I feel like a drug addict needing my next hit with updates today.

Porky
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
He loves Houston teams.

On another note I feel like a drug addict needing my next hit with updates today.

I hear ya brother. Same here.

Anyone know who lined up at starting RT for the first practice?

That's the biggest ??? on the team at the moment imho.

Texans_Chick
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Kubiak said Sharpton/Foster was surprise PUP but it was more just precautionary working with trainers for a bit before doing full camp.

Kubiak gets a little concerned with first day of camp that everyone wants to win the SB the first day and they are a little amped. He did the last part of practice indoors as a getting use to heat thing.

Watched Foster/Reed carefully on the side field. Foster looks like Foster. Kubiak said Reed looked ahead of where he thought he'd be. Reed looks in great physical shape, and it was good seeing him run, run with sled in a straight line, but don't have a sense of when he is going to be in speed guy kind of shape.

Didn't notice Sharpton. So have no opinion on that.

Texans_Chick
07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Keshawn Martin had a flashy day today.

Jeff Maehl had a nice deep pass caught in traffic.

Dre was Dre show. Made me say an involuntary whoa.

Hopkins didn't have a ton of targets.

Sam Montgomery looked in better shape than I thought he would. Not sure if the transcripts will have all his quotes about love of different fast food restaurants but moving toward salads.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Stretching is an interesting subject. Studies have shown that when you stretch, you actually get weaker. Pure, old-school stretching should generally be done after a workout when the muscle is warm as opposed to prior to a workout.

What you should do before an athletic activity is warm-up: get your blood circulating and the muscles and tendons prepared for battle. The best way to warm-up is to simulate the activity you're going to do at a lower level of intensity.

This is counter to what people were taught 15-20+ years ago but it's been known in S&C circles for about 10-15 years.

Each player should have a specific stretching routine that they perform after workouts and at other designated times.

MSR

This is very important point you bring up. We "spoke" of this in an old thread. Everyone used to be encouraged to stretch before prior heavy exercise believing that this would lessen the possibility of injury. It was found that this in fact encouraged injuries. Now it is known that simple brisk walking or gingerly running prior to stretching actually introduces increased blood supply to all muscle tissues, preparing them to naturally expand. This allows for avoidance of sudden stretching of a cold muscle which tends to maintain in a contracted, shortened state. If this regimen is left up to the individual player instead of supervised as a group, it wouldn't be surprising for individual trainers/players take the wrong road out of ignorance or in the process of trying to "shortcut" the preparation when "time-restrained." In either case, the player is likely to suffer the consequences, if not now, then later.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
https://twitter.com/PatDStat

A common sports medicine observation is the association of ankle injuries subsequently developing low back problems. After an ankle sprain you may also lose some of the control of the ankle and your balance may be affected. This means that not only are you more likely to turn the ankle again but it also changes the way you walk which can result in a torsion or strain through the lower back. This is one possible cause of back pain developing and progressing for ‘no apparent reason’ many years after an ankle sprain. To avoid such problems it is important not to ignore minor ankle strains. Montgomery has already experienced back problems. Was his ankle giving him problems prior to that. No matter what though, an ankle injury now gives more concern to the back problem cropping back up.............especially if he is not tip top shape.

ObsiWan
07-26-2013, 01:13 PM

In previous training camps I'd attended, I seem to recall all the players "stretching" en masse before breaking off into their specialty groups. Does that not happen any more?
More importantly, are you and Doc saying they're not doing it sufficiently/effectively??
:thinking:

paycheck71
07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Here's what Geoff Kaplan had to say about the stretching and warming up routine when asked specifically.. Really not much, but FWIW.

Follow the link, then find the entry from 7/16/2013 titled TEXANS ATHLETIC TRAINER GEOFF KAPLAN ON TAA 07/16/2013 (currently on page 2) and fast forward to about 3:35. I didn't find a way to link to this directly.

LINK (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp)

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2013, 01:25 PM
In previous training camps I'd attended, I seem to recall all the players "stretching" en masse before breaking off into their specialty groups. Does that not happen any more?
More importantly, are you and Doc saying they're not doing it sufficiently/effectively??
:thinking:

I haven't been able to go to any training camps so I don't know what they're doing now vs. what they were doing then.

I didn't like the approach of our original S&C guy under C&C who continued for the first few years of the Smithiak era. That guy was supposed to be a cutting edge guy but from everything I read, he was using out-dated and obsolete approaches. I believe he did have everyone doing an en masse static stretch prior to practice.

From what I've read, I trust this latest batch of S&C guys a lot more. They've got a more modern, less machine-reliant approach that's more in-line with what I've seen in the literature. I believe they've re-vamped the warm-up approach and so you won't see that big group of guys stretching anymore.

I consider this a good thing.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2013, 01:27 PM

This dude is killing our LB corps. I'm not sure why we haven't moved on from him yet. Talented or not, we can't continue giving him a roster spot when injury is inevitable.

b0ng
07-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Transcripts from first day of OTA's [HT.com] (http://media.houstontexans.com/article_download.cfm?article_id=1623)
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on how the first practice of training camp went) “Yeah, I thought it was good. I liked the conditioning. I like the way we came back, good sense of urgency. Obviously, we’ve got a lot of, well, for a first day out, we’ve got quite a few guys that are limited or have something going on. We’ve got to bring them along the right way, but I like the conditioning of the team, good start.”

(on the enthusiasm of the first practice) “Yeah, there really is. You’ve got to be real careful the first morning because there’s so much enthusiasm. They’re so gunned up. You have a tendency for guys to really gas themselves. (We) just try to get them into their routine. I like the personality of our group. We’ve got a few different faces that are going to be leaders on this team. We’ve got some young kids I think will really help this team, so it’ll be fun to watch it come together.”

(on having ILB Brian Cushing back and not overexerting him early) “Yeah, no doubt. Obviously, there’s a plan in place. I think he worked about 25 minutes today. We’ll keep heading that way. We’ll do the right thing. We’re trying to work him toward, obviously, thinking about grass in the preseason. So that starts to talk about preseason two or three, one of those, but we’ll stick with our plan.”

(on RB Arian Foster’s situation) “He’s doing really good. A little bit of a surprise to me because I thought he’d be ready to go, but Kap (Head Athletic Trainer Geoff Kaplan) and they just think he needs a few days with them to work into the routine. But he’s had a good summer; he’s been here every day. I expect him back pretty quickly.”

(on ILB Darryl Sharpton’s injury status) “Sharp’s a little bit of a surprise to us. (He) came back with a sore groin, so we didn’t really know where we were because obviously we haven’t seen him in a little while. (He) probably had as good of an offseason as anyone on our team, so it was a surprise and we’ll watch him here for a couple days and see where he’s at.”

(on OLB Sam Montgomery and making him active) “We didn’t like the condition he came back in, but he made up a lot of ground the last few days. He was ready to go back out (and) tweaked his ankle a little bit today, so Sam’s just got to stay in one piece, figure out what we’re doing and I think (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and (LBs Coach) Reggie (Herring) will do a great job with him. We’ve just got to keep him healthy.”

(on TE Garrett Graham not practicing) “(He’s) sick. Actually, we didn’t even let him report yesterday. Very sick with some type of virus. Spent the day in the hospital yesterday. He is back home. Probably will not see him until Sunday. We’ll try to keep him away from everybody else.”

(on other players who weren’t initially active on the roster) “Let’s see. You’ll just have to start asking me. Other than that, we’re just trying to work some guys like (T Derek) Newton in slowly, (T Brennan) Williams in slowly, but they did practice today. We’ve got guys we have to keep off the turf. A few guys will probably see that as we go, but we’ve got a plan for all of them. Talked about all of them, but good to get started.”

(on if he’s changed the conditioning test) “No, I don’t have one. I’ve never had one. I just think that if you have a great offseason program, which I think we do and you let them know you trust them, I think their condition test is practice this morning (and) that they show up. Guys see that they haven’t been doing anything, I mean, they’ll find out real quick. I think we passed the test. Our guys have been good.”

(on if he was impressed with the catches the young receivers were making today) “Yeah, but I’ll tell you what, like (WR) Keshawn (Martin) did that all through the OTAs, did some good stuff. (WR) Jeff Maehl had a really good offseason. It’s a young group. It’s committed to youth. We need them to step up as quickly as they can.”

(on having LB Brian Cushing back) “It’s just good to have him back. He’s always been the emotional leader of this football team. He’s chomping at the bit to go for two hours, but we’re going to work him in the right way and make sure he’s ready to go.

(on how he would characterize the right tackle battle) “We’re very talented there, but we’ve got a lot of work to do because we missed a great deal of time. We’ve got to have some patience here as we get them both (T Derek Newton and T Brennan Williams) to full speed. We have a young player in (T David) Quessenberry who we think can go out and compete, but we don’t want to run him all over the place right now, so we’re starting him inside and we’ll see what happens. But we’ve got to get them both to where they’re 100 percent, competing every day and then see what happens.”

(on T Ryan Harris) “If we started today, Ryan would start at right tackle because Newton is not totally back and Williams is not totally back. So Ryan’s the guinea pig so to speak, he plays all over the place right now, but he’s had a good offseason and he’s 100 percent.”

(on FS Ed Reed’s status) “I’m impressed with where he’s at. He’s come a long way, watching him work with the guys today. They’ve got him on a program. We’ll work him out early in the mornings when the team’s doing individual stuff and try to have him available when we’re doing team, so he’s learning our system and those type of things. He knows what he has to do to get ready, but I’m impressed with how far he’s come.”

(on what he thinks about the new field in the Methodist Training Center) “I like it. It’s dark in here though isn’t it? We’ve got to figure out, bring a flashlight in here or something. No, I like it. I think our guys have more confidence in it right now with this new stuff. If we do have to come in here, I think they’re a little more confident with what we’re working on.”

(on if he’s more confident in the playing surface inside the Methodist Training Center) “It doesn’t matter what I (think). I’m not the one running on it. I think it’s nice/ it’s something that we play on every week and obviously the old one that we had was starting to wear out a little bit. I think it’s a good thing to have if we need it.”

(on WR Andre Johnson helping the younger receivers and also asking them to tell him if he’s doing something wrong and if that is part of what makes Johnson a good pro) “No doubt. Usually, you get guys at that age, they’re kind of set in their ways and stuff and this guy’s eager. I’ve told him before, ‘You don’t have to go to this meeting or that meeting,’ but he’s still there. He wants to learn and that’s why he’s going to play a long time. That’s why he keeps being successful.”

(on the decision to move OLB Brooks Reed back outside after he practice inside during OTAs) “First off, we thought if he’s going to get reps inside, let’s do it in the offseason. The second thing, I think, one of the biggest things is Sharp (ILB Darryl Sharpton) had such a great OTAs or spring, that it was easy for Brooks to go back. As you can see, you never know how that can change again, but, we know one thing, he’s going to be somewhere and he can play both spots.”

Heath Shuler
07-26-2013, 02:07 PM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18322--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

TexansFTW
07-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Have any of yall watched the LT interview with Arian Foster at training camp today yet?

Arian wants to be a 1000 yard receiver.

I guess I respect the lofty goal

Texn4life
07-26-2013, 02:14 PM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18322--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Dre looks a little leaner to me for some reason. If so it may help him out as he gets older.

Rey
07-26-2013, 02:28 PM

I guess there isn't much difference between 6'1" and 6'3":butterfly:

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
I guess there isn't much difference between 6'1" and 6'3":butterfly:

You can't tell from this pic the way it's cropped that AJ simply forgot to wear his high heels today!:specnatz:

thunderkyss
07-26-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't know if I missed it, but since Bradie James is no longer with us, I'm assuming Cushing is moving back to MIKE?

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/07/Cushing.chron_-306x203.jpg

badboy
07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Some of my thoughts...

Gary, you are surprised about Sharpton?

When Cush get his first tackle this season I am concerned he will burst a vocal chord screaming. I know I probably will.

When I heard Montgomery came off field limping, first thought was "due to Ninja's foot up his patooie". When I heard he returned I thought "Ninja must be sneaking up on him."

Graham, please, please, please stay away from team until you do not exhale bugs!

First time I read about RTs I thought it said "Harris would start as Newton not 100% black and Williams not 100% black." Wait...what?

If Martin can fill the slot and Hopkins is as good as we hope, Schaub may throw for 5,000 yds.

Looking at the picture who is taller AJ or Hopkins?

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
This dude is killing our LB corps. I'm not sure why we haven't moved on from him yet. Talented or not, we can't continue giving him a roster spot when injury is inevitable.

Back to a little history review/lesson. He's had a quad rupture, a groin problem and a hip problem that have cumulatively caused him to lose long periods of play time in the past.........the quad rupture resulted in IR, the hip injury last year suffered a setback when he experienced a groin strain (adductor tendon) the second day of TC after which he was placed on the PUP, and again eventually ended up on IR after he re-injured his hip..............these are all injuries that tend to be closely related. Now he shows up with a "minor groin tightening".........as per Kubiak "I was surprised"............but thank G-d this time it's "minor," right?

thunderkyss
07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
When I heard Montgomery came off field limping, first thought was "due to Ninja's foot up his patooie". When I heard he returned I thought "Ninja must be sneaking up on him."

First we heard he was out of shape. My first thought this was some Jedi Mind trick to get him pissed for the season.

Then they took him off the PUP less than 36 hours after putting him on. I felt vindicated...

Then he comes limping off the field. I thought the F@#'n marshmallow boy needs to get a clue. I hope to God they have a sock party planned for his fat a55.

The Pencil Neck
07-26-2013, 03:30 PM

Depends on if you're measuring hair, I think.

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Andre is listed as 6'2" from the Combine on a few sites, DeAndre is listed at 6'1". I bet Andre is down to 6'1" by now, perhaps lower.

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Working with the Jugs machine...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQHxnacCUAAuYES.jpg
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 15m
JJ Watt & regression. Watt emphatically rejects slippage talk MT

Andre Johnson today-"I told myself that once I signed here I wasn't going to play for anybody else. I wanted to be a part of something special"

@daverichard @TheFribbleLine I'm high on #Texans run game/Foster. Nothing I saw reason for concern. 1st season since '10 w/ real FB all camp

He tweeked ankle a bit, held out for part of practice. Surprised he looks fitter than at OTAs -- Report on how Montgomery looks

@HoustonTexans camp-Have new field in practice bubble. Bouncy. Last part of practice indoors to get out of heat while players get used to it

@HoustonTexans camp: Kubiak doesn't believe in conditioning test. Team put players thru a physical. Can tell if ready.

@HoustonTexans camp: Kubiak limited RT snaps of Newton and Williams, working back in slowly.

Kubiak said Arian Foster held out of camp as precaution. Will work back in soon. /on side field doing agility drills

Kubiak said they've always been confident Ed Reed will be back by week one. Thinks Arian could be back in a week. #Texans

"I dont think he's old. I was around Jerry Rice, he played forever," Kubiak on Andre Johnson #Texans

Brooks Reed had a sore foot so he was held back this afternoon. #Texans

Right tackle Derek Newton says he is 100% now. Said his rehab was on schedule "give or take a few days." #Texans

OLB Sam Montgomery said he suffered an ankle injury this morning. Montgomery was taken off non-football injury yesterday. #Texans

The morning practice was half outside, half inside on the #Texans new indoor turf. Kubiak hated the old turf.
"If I'm like the old teacher...then Ed Reed is like Yoda."-- Antonio Smith after #Texans pm practice today.

"I'm ready to see what I look like on film,"-- DJ Swearinger after wrapping 1st #Texans camp practice.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
The Texans placed Phillip Supernaw on IR. He cleared waivers after being placed on Waived/Injured Thursday. #TexansTalk

Right tackle Derek Newton said his knee feels great and said he is indeed 100 percent on the first day of training camp. #TexansTalk

Just seeing Kubiak transcript. Garrett Graham has a virus. Explains the non-football illness list. Spent yesterday in hospital. Home now.

"When I make a mistake, he’s right on me, just like Coach (Larry) Kirksey." -- Hopkins on Andre Johnson #TexansTalk

"You know, if I gotta cuss somebody out when I get back to the training room, I’m gonna be practicing full-go tomorrow." Brennan Williams

"I was more than excited to come out here. It was almost like the first day of school, you know. You can’t sleep at night." -- Hopkins

The two rookies I spoke with, DeAndre Hopkins and Brennan Williams, said they had trouble sleeping last night. #TexansTalk

I asked Cushing if he would be back to himself by the opener. "Yeah. Yeah. Probably better," he said. #TexansTalk

Cushing said again that he hasn't had any contact with Matt Slauson, who injured him last season. #TexansTalk

Ben Jones worked with the ones a little bit. Brandon Brooks said they rotate in and out but Brooks has been working with the ones more.

Meanwhile, Derek Newton was back and working with the first team. Looked good. #TexansTalk

Brennan Williams said he never had doubts he'd be ready. Said they told him he's competing.

Sam Montgomery looked like he was in pretty good shape. Rolled his ankle a little bit but rejoined the team shortly after. #TexansTalk

Cushing worked today. He was cleared on the 17th. Said he isn't sure about hitting practices or games but feels fine so far. #TexansTalk

Ed Reed didn't talk to us but did work on the side and looked really good today. Said he didn't want to talk because he's on the PUP.
Brooks Reed was nursing a sore foot after the morning session and was mostly held out of the evening walk throughs. #Texans #Texanstalk

Wade Phillips said that all of the HOF players he's coached had "a will to be better all the time." He added that @JJWatt has that will.

In case anyone was wondering, Wade Phillips still thinks J.J. Watt's season last year is still the best one ever by a defensive lineman.

Kubiak said he was surprised that Darryl Sharpton came in with a sore groin. He's on the Active/non-football injury list. #Texans

Cushing asked about playing in any preseason games and he said it's all based on how he feels. Said they'll just "play it by ear" #Texans

Ed Reed said he will not address the media until he is lifted off of the active PUP list. #texans #texanstalk

Arian Foster & Ed Reed didn't talk. Both did workout on a limited basis. Manning said Reed was a huge help pointing out everything on field

#texans LT Duane Brown said he's listed at 305. Said he's been boxing in the offseason. Brandon Brooks wants to fight him. #texanstalk

Duane Brown said if Hopkins puts his head down and just works hell be fine dealing with the pressure that's being put on him. #texanstalk

Brian Cushing said there were no nerves getting on the field. If anything he was excited to be back wt the guys. #texanstalk

Garrett Graham was in the hospital wt a virus yesterday & they're keeping him away from everyone at least until Sunday
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Rookie WR Alec Lemon made a big impression today. Had two impressive catches against tight coverage. #Texans

Keshawn Martin caught everything today. Continuing his impressive OTA showing. #Texans

Playoffs
07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18144--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18282--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18322--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18371--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18394--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18856--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
-houstontexans.com

Texn4life
07-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Pretty quiet day of updates so far for the 1st day of camp.

DexmanC
07-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Nothing from Ben Tate?

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone about the new CBA rules dictating the first few days of TC practices. No real on-field work is allowed on the first day of camp, and no contact is permitted during the second and third days. Players are finally allowed to wear pads on the fourth day, but the old two-a-days have all but disappeared. Players can be on the field for no more than four hours a day, and only one padded practice is permitted each day, not lasting longer than three hours. And separated from the other practice by no less than 3 hours. The second practice may only be a walk-through, which is the football equivalent of a dance class, with players standing around without pads or helmets and walking through plays.

So if you see any injury during the first few days, you've got to ask yourself why? And the usual answer will lie within "conditioning."

Texans_Chick
07-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Nothing from Ben Tate?

Looks good. Says he's been 100% for a long time.

Texans_Chick
07-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Just wanted to remind everyone about the new CBA rules dictating the first few days of TC practices. No real on-field work is allowed on the first day of camp, and no contact is permitted during the second and third days. Players are finally allowed to wear pads on the fourth day, but the old two-a-days have all but disappeared. Players can be on the field for no more than four hours a day, and only one padded practice is permitted each day, not lasting longer than three hours. And separated from the other practice by no less than 3 hours. The second practice may only be a walk-through, which is the football equivalent of a dance class, with players standing around without pads or helmets and walking through plays.

So if you see any injury during the first few days, you've got to ask yourself why? And the usual answer will lie within "conditioning."

I'm not sure I would agree with the ideal that most early injuries come from conditioning.

Though it ain't contact football, there's plenty of ways to get hurt even in the context of no full pads. Lots of big bodies in small spaces.

ObsiWan
07-26-2013, 10:45 PM

Depends on the nature of the injury. As Kubiak said, the guys come out amp'ed up the first couple of days. So it wouldn't surprise me to see somebody roll and ankle or strain something going all out to make a circus catch or pick off a pass.

Then again, maybe that's conditioning too. I dunno.... you're the doc. :D

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Depends on the nature of the injury. As Kubiak said, the guys come out amp'ed up the first couple of days. So it wouldn't surprise me to see somebody roll and ankle or strain something going all out to make a circus catch or pick off a pass.

Then again, maybe that's conditioning too. I dunno.... you're the doc. :D

If you look back at Montgomery's Draft write ups, you'll repeatedly find comments of his notable "stiffness" in movement and very poor ability to maintain "balance".........specifically after his 30 pound weight gain before his junior year.

Having poor balance is very much related to poor conditioning and/or to a frame carrying too much weight. Both of these factors have been identified as strong independent risk factors for noncontact ankle injuries.

Furthermore, there is an often cited interesting study in HS football players, that showed an extremely strong correlation between the player's risk of recurrent ankle sprain and BMI (Body Mass Index-essentially weight to frame measure). An overweight player who had a previous ankle sprain was ~20 times more likely to sustain a noncontact ankle sprain than was a normal-weight player with no previous ankle sprain. Now, even more so, Montgomery needs to take his weight and his level of conditioning very seriously.

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 10:04 AM
-At various points during the morning practice, receivers Lestar Jean, Keshawn Martin and Alec Lemon made tough catches.

-Wide receiver Andre Johnson was impressed by about some of the younger receivers reeling in tough catches in traffic. “We had a bunch of guys out making plays on the ball. That’s what it’s all about: when you get opportunities you go out and make plays.”

-Rice head coach David Bailiff watched the morning practice.

-In the afternoon practice, head coach Gary Kubiak held a handful of veterans out of certain portions of team drills. Combined with some players being on the Physically Unable to Perform list, that resulted in combos like Danieal Manning and Shiloh Keo at safety. Or Kareem Jackson and Brandon Harris at cornerback. Or Cameron Collins and Tim Dobbins at inside linebacker.

-At the age of 31, with eight years of NFL experience, defensive end Antonio Smith is one of the elder statesmen on the club. When he was asked about 34-year old Ed Reed, Smith laughed and tossed out a Star Wars reference.
"If I'm like the old teacher...then Ed Reed is like Yoda.”

-Punter Shane Lechler scraped the ceiling a time or two when punting inside in the afternoon at the Methodist Training Center.

-Lechler and licker Randy Bullock were both interviewed following the afternoon practice by a television station from Bryan-College Station. They both played for Texas A&M.

-Every morning during camp on Texans Radio (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Texans-Radio.html), Rick Smith will join Marc Vandermeer to break down a position group. He spoke about the running backs today (http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=2926).http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Empty-Notebook-Day-1-of-training-camp/448e2382-50e8-49ac-9d4b-7085767d2100

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Stop by @Kroger (11th & Shepherd) today from 12p-2p to meet @TexansCheer calendar girls & get your calendar. Info: http://bit.ly/1dk2ltu

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQLkBvRCcAALBzI.jpg

The #Texans LB group young/little depth. By day 2 of camp, LB coach Reggie Herring is losing his voice. Perhaps related?

PDS ‏@PatDStat (https://twitter.com/PatDStat)
Duane Brown is so much faster than last year. On a play he was pulling, his acceleration was impressive for the 300 lbs. tackle. #Texans

J Joseph had been covering Hopkins majority of situations. Breaking the rookie in and making him work. #TexansTough day for the rookie vs. JJo. @PatDStat How does Hopkins look in his routes and being covered by JJO?

Collins has trouble with the short routes out of the backfield but he can run with TEs and RBs in downfield routes. Sleeper. #Texans

One player to watch is Cameron Collins. The ILB has increased practice time with Sharpton out. He has good coverage skills.

Watt is a head worker out there. He sets the tone for the defense, and him and Earl Mitchell are always talking to each other. #Texans

I would talk about J.J. Watt but hearing that the offensive line can't handle him would be nothing new. #Texans

Jeff Maehl has quietly had a good camp. 3rd year in and has been here for a reason. He can double as a teams coverage player and WR. #Texans

Rookie WR Andy Cruse keeps making solid strides. He is a big WR that the DBs have a hard time stopping. #Texans

NT David Hunter was giving the offense fits today. He was doing what he wanted to today in team sessions. Constant disruption. #Texans

Stephen McGee and Case Keenum have also looked sharp. They will be a camp battle to watch. #Texans

T.J. Yates' delivery looks much better than I remember. Good velocity and getting it to his WRs in stride. #Texans

Schaub has looked good with Daniels and Johnson. He is still working to get in tune with Hopkins. #Texans

Probably been most impressed with the quarterback play these two days. #Texans

Two days for Keshawn Martin where he has stood out in the passing game. Looks much more comfortable with his role. #Texans

Rookie TE Ryan Griffin showed today why he could be a good pick. He uses his 6-6 frame well against defenders to make catches.

Kareem Jackson vs. Andre Johnson has become one of the fun matchups to watch on the field. #Texans@PatDStat Does Kareem hold his own? Yes.

Owen Daniels made some outstanding catches today. Matt Schaub and him were making some nice plays. #Texans

Practice in the books. Team looked sharp especially the offense through the air. #Texans
Lots of leadership talk today. Foster mentioned #Texans are turning into a team where coaches don't have to lead much, players handle it.

"He’s a leader by example, just kind of like Cush. Guys just naturally follow him. Whatever he says, people listen." B Reed on Watt #Texans

"Brian Cushing’s back, and he’s going to bring the attitude back," Brooks Reed. #Texans

Greg Jones said practices are different here than Jacksonville. Said it's a good difference. #Texans

Brooks Reed talked about JJ Watt taking over Cushing's pregame speech role last year. Thinks Watt practiced speeches in the mirror #Texans

Foster said because of the calf injury he's had time to reinvent himself as an athlete. He's better in a lot of ways #Texans

Arian Foster spoke today. Couldn't give specifics on calf other than it's better not to rush an injury like that.
“There’s just some light soreness in there. I can pretty much do everything, so we’re just going to take it day by day.” - Arian Foster

Foster added that every year you have to do something different to get better as an athlete and can't be complacent. #texans #texanstalk

Foster put in an unreal offseason of training. Said he was only disappointed "for an hour" after injury. Moved forward immediately

AngryNateFTW
07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Just a little more to add. :)

@JaysonBraddock

Quick notes on Texans camp: Earl Mitchell playing strong. Underarm rips Myers off the ground for win. Then tries finesse spin & shutdown.

Chris Jones still looks as agile as he did on tape, but Ben Jones handled it in stride

Smith on Smith crime. Antonio destroyed Wade several times. Brooks & Jones would be a deadly interior with Myers. I wouldn't wait.

Willie Jefferson is intriguing. Athletically gifted, but raw. Too early to tell if he'll develop gift into NFL talent.

Jefferson blew by Duane Brown. Brown didn't take too kindly to it & next rep showed why Jefferson has to add weight. Complete lockdown.

Duane actually came over to Jefferson after series and showed him love for beating him.

Brennan Williams had some catching up to do. Was beat all day in 1 on 1s. Jefferson blew by with ease. Brennan missed time in OTAs.

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Just a little more to add. :)

@JaysonBraddock
Will do, looks like he has a good insight...

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Also intrigued to see DeVier Posey when healthy. Definitely has the drive to succeed. Keshawn Martin has taken strides in year 2.

I keep being impressed by Kareem Jackson.

Cameron Collins was fun to watch in coverage in Owen Daniels. In his hip pocket all day.

Ryan Harris looked like the old Broncos' Harris. If he can stay healthy thru camp, it'd be a fun watch to see if he can get old form back.
Ryan Harris has some solid years in Denver. Not sure he can take that many snaps per game, but he was a good acquisition that flies under the radar.

PapaL
07-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the updates! Great read.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks, guys!

(Somebody hit up Playoffs for me: MSR.)

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 12:40 PM
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-2-slideshow/)
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB19314--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB19309--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2028--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2213--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_1734--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2063--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-2-slideshow/)

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 12:46 PM
--houstonstexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-2-slideshow/)
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB19375--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB19442--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB25833--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB25827--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB19371--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_1915--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
--houstonstexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-2-slideshow/)

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Nice pics.........MSR.

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Nothing from Ben Tate?
Tate looks good, healthy. Likely to have a good year, but then I expect he will sign away from Houston to get his own deserved shot at being a #1.

Foster did a little promotional work for Ben Tate, entering a contract year. He said Tate is starter caliber. #Texans

"He's very patient and his opportunity is going to come whether it's here or somewhere else." - Foster on #texans RB Ben Tate

Brisco_County
07-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks, Playoffs. Keep 'em coming.

Other than right tackle, the competition that I'm going to be the most interested in is between Yates and Keenum. It may not be consequential this year, but I believe the outcome will be a pivotal point for the future of the offense. If anyone attending camp is taking requests for things to watch, that one's mine.

Honoring Earl 34
07-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Will do, looks like he has a good insight...

Ryan Harris has some solid years in Denver. Not sure he can take that many snaps per game, but he was a good acquisition that flies under the radar.

Wasn't that long ago when Denver was thought to have the best pair of young OTs with Harris and Clady .

Porky
07-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I swear I don't remember Cameron Collins before this. Anyone know how we acquired him? Was he a UDFA? Trying to remember.

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I swear I don't remember Cameron Collins before this. Anyone know how we acquired him? Was he a UDFA? Trying to remember.October 11, 2012

To fill their open spot on the practice squad, the Houston Texans signed inside linebacker Cameron Collins. Collins is a 6-2 241 lbs. linebacker who originally played safety at Oregon State, before switching to linebacker before the 2010 season. The inside linebacker originally signed as an undrafted free agent with the Miami Dolphins prior to the 2012 season, he was released August 31st of this season.http://www.stateofthetexans.com/tag/cameron-collins/

msbbc833
07-27-2013, 02:43 PM
New haircut means business

http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18859--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

DX-TEX
07-27-2013, 02:54 PM
T.J. Yates' delivery looks much better than I remember. Good velocity and getting it to his WRs in stride. #Texans

TJ! TJ! TJ!

http://mit.zenfs.com/217/2011/11/Schaub-Yates.jpg

See that *****? You hit them in stride!

Im starting it now: QB controversy!!!!!

thunderkyss
07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Playoffs. Keep 'em coming.

Other than right tackle, the competition that I'm going to be the most interested in is between Yates and Keenum. It may not be consequential this year, but I believe the outcome will be a pivotal point for the future of the offense. If anyone attending camp is taking requests for things to watch, that one's mine.

If there's any true QB competition this year, it's between Keenum & McGee.

When was the last time Schaub played 16 games in back to back seasons? If Kubiak comes back with that Arian heavy, Tj game manager game plan, then I'll be upset that we haven't done more to find a true back up QB/QB of the future.

Brisco_County
07-27-2013, 04:31 PM
If there's any true QB competition this year, it's between Keenum & McGee.

When was the last time Schaub played 16 games in back to back seasons? If Kubiak comes back with that Arian heavy, Tj game manager game plan, then I'll be upset that we haven't done more to find a true back up QB/QB of the future.

So you're saying that TJ shouldn't even be an option as the QB of the future? Ouch.

I wasn't impressed with him at all last season, but his competitive advantage for that role is still valid. He'd have to royally screw up in preseason to put himself on even ground.

Rey
07-27-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm good with Yates if he's given a shot at starting at some point.

PapaL
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
New haircut means business

http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB18859--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

Reminds me of Hank Hill. "Dang it Bobby!"

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/king-of-the-hill/images/hank-hill-1.jpg

http://i.qkme.me/3qsnqj.jpg

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes. Ed Reed coaching everyone. RT @DoughertyDrew: And not just with rookies. Or defensive teammates.
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Owen, Keshawn and a second year ILB turning heads - #Texans Training Camp: Day Two : State of the #Texans http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-training-camp-day-two/ … #NFL

I might be in the minority here, but Andre Johnson looks like he spent some serious time in the weight room. He looks much bigger. #Texans

Nwachukwu showed his straight line speed today when he ran by a cornerback like he was standing still. #Texans

Well a day short, but the #Texans are in pads for the first day tomorrow. #Texans
"he looks as good as I've ever seen him." - Gary Kubiak on #Texans CB Johnathan Joseph. #Texanstalk.

RT update: Newton is doing 1/2 of the workouts so far. Brennan Williams has yet to do anything with the team other than individuals. #Texans

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Head Coach Gary Kubiak (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Training-Camp-Day-2/e87c605a-8488-4ce8-8fac-aeb5618dc331)

(on if there are any updates on the injuries from yesterday’s practice) “No, we’re good. (OLB) Sam Montgomery did not practice this morning. He’s got a sore ankle. We thought he could go and he ended up not going. Other than that, we’re back at it. Had a good cool morning to work. The rain helped out a little bit, so good day.”

(on if there was good energy at practice on the second day) “Yeah, usually it takes about three days to work into it and they get pretty worn out and sore, and they start to revive a little bit, but I thought it was good. It was very competitive. We’ve added a few different periods to our practice form a competitive standpoint and I like our young guys and the way they’re competing I thought it was a good day.”

(on his thoughts on the linebacker corps this season and if he thinks they can stay together) “First off, it’s going to be young. The depth is going to be very young. As a coach, at this point, two days into camp, obviously it’s going to play itself out, but that’s the way we’re built right now. I feel good about our group. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and (LBs coach) Reggie (Herring) have done tremendous work with young players in their coaching career and they’ve got a good group of young guys when you look at how far (LB) Willie (Jefferson) has come. I’m sitting here watching (LB) Trevardo Williams and we get (LB) Sam (Montgomery) going. It’s a group that, like I said, it’s going to have a lot of youth to it, but it’s going to have a lot of ability too.”

(on if there is an update on TE Garrett Graham) “Garrett, he’s got the flu or some type of virus and has been really sick. Hoping that he might be back around the building today. The plan was to have him on the field tomorrow. Obviously, if he’s not getting better, which he is getting somewhat better, we’ll keep him away from the guys. So we’ll see. I’m hoping he’s here tomorrow. He’s fine. He’s just battling a bug.”

(on if he has an idea of how many players he wants on the roster at certain positions on offense and what goes into deciding that) “You never know how you’re going to be built. Obviously, if you’ve got good players in place, you’re not going to say, ‘Well, I’m going to let him go because I’m going to keep this many tight ends.’ You’re going to keep the guys that earned the right to be here. We may be built different at back. We could be built different at tight end. I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see. We’ve got some young offensive linemen. I think you always have a template that you kind of worked off of, but yet, we’re not going to run anybody out here who show us that they can win. So we’ll see.”

(on the New England Patriots running more offensive snaps than any team last year and if he thinks this year’s team will run a faster pace like that) “I thought we worked at a lot of pace last year. We did a lot of sugar-huddle offensively. As a team, it’s something that we always have the ability to do. On any given way, I think the best way to play that particular team we’re playing, we’ll have to make a decision there, but we’re going to always have pace built in whether we’re trying to use it to begin with or in a situation where we’ve got to use it to get back into a game. It’s always going to be part of what we do.”

(on if it’s a problem having young players at several positions on offense) “No, they’re going to be taught just like anybody else that would be in here. We’re not going to change what we do. We’re going to catch them up. I think it’s your job as a coach, once you get to the point where it’s time to play, you’ve got to do what your guys do best. If we’ve got some young players making a lot of plays and all they can handle is X amount, then that’s what we need to go do. We’ve got to figure that out, but right now, it’s time to work and throw it all at them and see how far we can go.”

(on how the schedule works out with putting on pads) “Let’s see, I think tomorrow we can put our shells on. I think the progression is that way. I think we’ll put our full gear on the next day, which will be what, Monday? We can slowly work ourselves into it, but we’re pretty physical in everything we do. That time’s coming.”

(on if anything has stood out through two days so far) “No, I like the way we’re working. I like the competition on the field. We’ve got some issues at linebacker and tackle now from a numbers standpoint. (T) Nick Mondekdid not practice today. I failed to mention him. So we’re dealing with that, but that’s part of training camp. I like our start and now we’ll start to get a little more physical and put the pads on.”

(on how much he reserves judgment until pads are put on) “I reserve judgment until we get to about the third week of the preseason. We’ve got a long way to go and you never know what’s going to happen. Right now, it’s just about teaching, grinding, coaching everybody. Everybody’s involved in that process. Just stay with the process, keep working and we’ve got to be ready to win a game against San Diego on opening day, so we’ll stay with the process.”

(on T Ryan Harris) “Yeah, well, he’s a very disciplined person. I would just say this, he looks really good. We’re going to play our best two tackles. We know who our left tackle is and (T) Ryan (Harris), he’s in the mix, he’s working on both sides every day. He’s probably as healthy as he’s been in his career. He really likes what we do. I think he’s starting to really flourish in what we do. I like how far he’s come. We’ll see.”

(on if T Ryan Harris floats to both sides equally) “Yeah, he has to right now because the two young kids are being pieced along, (T Derek) Newton and (T Brennan) Williams and (T Nick) Mondek is out. So right now, he’s having to do a lot, but that’s a good thing because your third tackle, your tackles have to be able to swing and do different stuff, and he showed he can do that last year.”

(on the youth and depth at linebacker) “Yeah, we’re very young and we got even younger when (LB Darryl) Sharpton was not ready to go when he reported to camp. Those are problems that you work through right now, but through problems, you can get better too. You can have guys step up and become really good players, but it’s obviously something we have our eye on, me and (General Manager) Rick (Smith). We need Darryl back on the field as quickly as we can get him there.”

(on if there is any news this afternoon) “(T Nick) Mondek is still not a part of what we’re doing. (TE) Garrett (Graham) is back in the building and he’s feeling better. We’re hoping for tomorrow, but we’ll wait and see where he’s at.”

(on what exactly TE Garrett Graham has been going through) “I just know he had some type of bug. I really don’t (know). I just know he was really sick. He lost some weight and we’re going to have to work him back to where he was.”

(on the right tackle position) “I think I said this before, the people are on our roster to handle our situation. The problem is he missed a lot of time. (T Derek) Newton missed the whole offseason. (T) Brennan (Williams) missed the whole offseason. Now, Newton is working about half the reps right now. He looks good. We’ve got a plan to get him back to full speed. Brennan has yet to do anything with the team other than individual. So as we practice, we’re really down a good player-and-a-half right there. It’s putting a lot of stress on (T David) Quessenberry, which that might be a good thing in the long haul. We’ll see how far he can come. But we’re trying to get those two guys to where they’re totally healthy and competing, and that’s not happening right now. There’s nothing they can do. We’ve got to get them there the right way.”

(on how he looks at the inside linebacker spot next to ILB Brian Cushing) “I look at it as being very, very young right now. (ILB Cameron) Collins is working as a starter in there and hasn’t played much football, but that’s a part of getting through camp too. Every day is like a puzzle; how do we work through today? How do we get certain guys on the team to this point and the process, so you’re always trying to put that puzzle together each and every day. But what it does is it creates a lot of reps for guys that never thought they were going to get them and who knows? We may find some gems along the way. That’s why we do what we do.”

(on his expectations for ILB Tim Dobbins) “It’s very important. Tim has really been on this team because he’s been a really good special teams player and yet he’s been a starter last year, and he’s a starter right now in how he operates. (It’s an) opportunity for Tim and he’s come in in good shape. He’s taking care of business. He looks good. He’s had a good two days.”

(on the growth of CB tandem Kareem Jackson and Johnathan Joseph) “It was probably late February, one day, I went down to the weight room and those two were on the treadmill. We hadn’t been through for a month. It’s impressive. Johnathan has been a tremendous presence for Kareem. Kareem has grown up a lot as a football player and a man, and it shows on the football field. Those two guys are always working together and now they’re sitting back talking with another guy in (FS) Ed (Reed). You only get better when you’ve got that experience on your football team.”

(on CB Johnathan Joseph saying he’s the healthiest he’s been in a few years and if he sees that in him) “Well, I’ve only been with him for a certain amount of time, but what I do see is we’re at the point where we can put him on a program like we do with (WR) Andre (Johnson). We kind of let him and Andre go at it at each for three days and give them a day break. We’re trying to work them the right way and I think he’s responded to it. Yeah, he looks as good as I’ve ever seen him.”

(on using RB Arian Foster in the passing game and if that has been inconsistent) “Yeah, it kind of all depends who we’re playing. I know there are certain teams that we play that some of Arian’s touches have to come through the air for that particular week, so we try to do that. He touches it a lot. I think that’s when he’s at his best when he does touch it a lot. Hopefully, (RB) Ben (Tate) stays healthy and there’s that combination like there was a couple of years ago, but we need to get Arian back out here and ready to go. He’s working hard. Hopefully, he’ll be back in a couple of days.”

(on OLB Whitney Mercilus’ place in the defense and assuming the role where they drafted him for) “He played pretty well last year. I think he had a six-seven sack season for a young player. Obviously, you draft guys that high knowing that there’s some point where it’s there, if it’s not very quickly. Here we go, it’s his second year, and it’s time for him to step up. With what we have at linebacker, with (OLB) Connor (Barwin) leaving and some of the things going on with our team, it’s time for him to step up like a six-seven-year guy and not a second-year guys. We believe in him. That’s why we do the things we do, but he’s responded and he’s been as good as he possibly can be throughout the offseason.”

(on the team’s health situation today) “Like I said, the only thing I can think of, without you all asking me, is (T Nick) Mondek still did not do anything today. He’s day-to-day. Nothing else has changed with anybody as of right now. I gave (T) Duane (Brown) the afternoon off. He did not do anything.”

(on if OLB Brooks Reed is back practicing) “Yeah, he’s back. He’s a full participant.”

(on if everybody is here) “Everybody’s here.”

(on if he’s generally happy with how training camp has been going so far) “Yeah, I mean it’s two days. We start to put our pads on tomorrow. So that’s when the game changes for everybody, So we’ve got to start to work toward that, but I feel good. We’ve got a couple of situations we’re having to work through each and every day from a health standpoint, but that’s part of camp.”

(on OLB Sam Montgomery’s status) “Sam was out this morning and he’s out this afternoon. He’s got a sore ankle and he’s being evaluated as we speak.”

Playoffs
07-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Day 2 Player quotes from:

RB Arian Foster
FB Greg Jones
CB Johnathan Joseph
OLB Brooks Reed
DE J.J. Watt
OLB Trevardo Williams
WR DeAndre Hopkins
WR Andre Johnson
T Derek Newton (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Training-Camp-Day-2/e87c605a-8488-4ce8-8fac-aeb5618dc331)

drs23
07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Not intended to get to OT but noticed on the team site that this year it looks like Drew D. is writing "Empty Notebook" instead of having a rookie pen a "Rookies Diary". Anyone else notice that or is it too early to choose a rookie for the "Dairy"?

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Head Coach Gary Kubiak (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Training-Camp-Day-2/e87c605a-8488-4ce8-8fac-aeb5618dc331)

(on if there are any updates on the injuries from yesterday’s practice) “No, we’re good. (OLB) Sam Montgomery did not practice this morning. He’s got a sore ankle. We thought he could go and he ended up not going. Other than that, we’re back at it. Had a good cool morning to work. The rain helped out a little bit, so good day.”

(on OLB Sam Montgomery’s status) “Sam was out this morning and he’s out this afternoon. He’s got a sore ankle and he’s being evaluated as we speak.”

The original reporting that Montgomery suffered an ankle injury.......was taped up............and came right back, was somewhat disingenuous. The real story was that he suffered the injury and was taped, bit never returned to the rest of morning practice...........he returned during afternoon practice...........a walk-through.

From the training camp thread

I don't think there was a real "out of shape" issue? I mean if it could be corrected in one afternoon, how bad could it have been?

Tape does wonders..........temporarily.........:winky:

thunderkyss
07-27-2013, 10:11 PM
:winky:

Careful... you might pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so vigorously.

I was talking about reporting to camp "out of shape" You're talking about an ankle sprained at camp. Or are you saying they taped his gut up?

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Careful... you might pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so vigorously.

I was talking about reporting to camp "out of shape" You're talking about an ankle sprained at camp. Or are you saying they taped his gut up?

You know, I didn't realize why I woke up this morning sore.........now that explains it.:)

Sorry, I misread the context of your statement though. But I will say that a player can be "out of shape" without looking out of shape, since you can't "see" conditioning.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Careful... you might pull a muscle patting yourself on the back so vigorously.That would be me patting Dr. CND on the back for all of his excellent contributions. Thanks, Doc. As always, MSR.

Texans training camp injury updates for 7/27/13 (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-training-camp-injury-updates-as-of-72713/6fc01e03-fa68-4dcd-8f5e-1185947cab94)
-(OLB) Brooks Reed returned to practice Saturday after suffering from a sore foot Friday afternoon. "He's a full participant," head coach Gary Kubiak said Saturday afternoon.

-(TE) Garrett Graham, who had been hospitalized with a virus, was able to return to Reliant Stadium Saturday."Garrett is back in the building and he’s feeling better," said Kubiak. "We’re hoping for tomorrow, but we’ll wait and see where he’s at.

-(OLB) Sam Montgomery did not practice.

“Sam was out this morning and he’s out this afternoon," Kubiak said after the conclusion of the Texans' second day of training camp. "He’s got a sore ankle and he’s being evaluated as we speak.”

Earlier in the week, Montgomery was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list (NFI). Thursday afternoon, he was pulled off it. Friday morning he practiced. He explained that “it was a wakeup call” and that he needed to improve upon his nutrition and eating habits.

-(RB) Arian Foster, listed on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, was on the field taking passes from the Jugs Machine both Friday and Saturday.

“It’s just got some light soreness in there, it’s nothing,” Foster said Saturday. “I can do pretty much everything, so I’m just going to take it day-by-day.”

-(ILB) Darryl Sharpton, listed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list, did not practice Saturday due to a sore groin.
-(T) Nick Mondek did not practice Saturday. He has been suffering from a sore foot since Friday afternoon, according to Kubiak.

Pads today.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Kubiak on players out: Wade Smith/Garrett Graham w/illness. Sam Montgomery in boot w/ ankle. Greg Jones day off as vet rest.

Best quote of day? From @JJWatt: Those talk his regression likely "sitting behind a desk." He's doing work, doesn't care about predictions.

Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL
Hum drum practice 'till Smith and Myers got into scuffle during 9 on 7. Swearinger got animated. Like bloodthirsty hyena animated.

Quessenberry looks more technically sound than he did a couple months ago. Been working at it.

Recently signed NT Daniel Muir had some great bull rushes in one-on-one's. Gotta dig more info up on him.

Want to see more power out of Mercilus. Looks great running games with Antonio Smith bit less effective 1-on-1. #Texans

Brandon Brooks had a couple respectable reps vs. JJ Watt in one-on-one pass rush. Can definitely anchor vs bull rush.

DJ Swearinger looking comfortable playing dime linebacker. Works through traffic very well versus run.
ESPN trucks are here, following @josinaanderson who got here yesterday. SportsCenter will be at camp tomorrow morning. #Texans

Couldn't tell you what Swearinger was screaming, just that he was. He's going to be fun #Texans

Easily best moment: Myers got after Antonio Smith for a play and during the ensuing scuffle, Swearinger jumped up & down screaming #Texans

First day in pads. "looked like it, didn't it?" Kubiak said. #Texans

Whitney Mercilus went up against Duane Brown in those drills. Not a fair fight right now but it'll make Mercilus improve fast. #Texans

Willie Jefferson looked good in one on one pass rush drills. Could be a good p squad guy. #Texans

Hopkins, Keshawn Martin, Devier Posey and Tyler Clutts also out there doing extra work after practice. #Texans

Greg Jones had the day off as per Kubiak's plan, coach says. Garrett Graham still sick. #Texans

Wade Smith came in this morning ill and went home. Sam Montgomery had his right foot in a boot for that ankle. #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Watt on pads "This is when you find out who’s got it. Who is a football player & who is a guy who looks like he could be a football player."

J.J. Watt on folks saying his numbers will drop: "They’re probably sitting behind a desk somewhere. I’m out here working... "I’m in the weight room putting in the work. Anybody sitting behind a desk or talking to a camera can say whatever they like."

"Yeah, he’s a fiery little guy. He’s a good little player back there." - J.J. Watt on D.J. Swearinger #TexansTalk

I was impressed by Jared Crick during pass rush drills. I think he's going to play a role as a nice rotational player. #TexansTalk

"I like his presence. I like what he stands for so just want to keep him in one piece and get him ready to go." - Kubiak on Greg Jones

"It looked like it didn’t it? Obviously it got a little testy out there this morning. That’s a good thing." -- Kubiak on first day in pads

You're going to have fun watching Swearinger. Started yelling today after two teammates got into it. Just yelling loudly in the background.

Brooks did alright against J.J. Watt but the Defensive Player of the Year overpowered him ... like he does everybody else

It's always fun watching the pass rush drills. Brandon Brooks is really, really strong.

Earl Mitchell got a smile on his face when I asked him about Bill Kollar's not yelling at him anymore.
... I could literally not care any less. I'm just going to put in the work to be the best that I can possibly be." #Texans #Texanstalk

J.J. Watt -"People can say whatever they want about me. They can say I'm the best in the world, they can say I'm the worst in the world

J Joseph said that doing yoga did wonders for his hips. He went to classes with his wife, sometimes losing 6 pounds of sweat in a session

Duane Brown was really a tough test for Whitney Mercilus now that the pads are on. It'll only make him better.

Ed Reed was catching passes one handed off the jug machine.

Matt Schaub is outside throwing passes to Arian Foster after practice

Johnathan Joseph said that Kareem Jackson is actually the one who suggested he might have a sports hernia. He had the surgery after the Pro Bowl
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
After practice, JJ Watt says he is excited about what S DJ Swearinger brings to backfield #Texans
PDS ‏@PatDStat
I liked the idea of Cierre Wood as the 3rd RB but Dennis Johnson changed my mind some today. Will be one of the better competitions

Of course Daniels always has Andre Johnson working with him on the JUGS machine too. #Texans

Owen Daniels lets no time pass him without working. Always working, between sessions he spends time on the Jugs machine catching. #Texans

Said it yesterday but Nwachukwu's speed is impressive. Can run by people with ease. #Texans

On offense WRs Andy Cruse and Ez Nwachukwu have really made an impression for the UDFAs. #Texans

A.J. Bouye and Willie Jefferson have stood out on defense for the UDFAs. #Texans

When the UDFAs are pushing for roster spots it says something about the front office and the talent they find. #Texans

Fullback Zach Boren did what fullbacks are supposed to do. Finish blocks. He drove A defender all the way to the sidelines. #Texans

It will be interesting to see who will step up on the pass rush off the edge. #Texans

Trevardo Williams has some work to do. has to get adjusted to the physical part of the game. Was stopped w ease in his pass rush.

Really liked what Eddie Pleasant did today. Covered well and looked decent in run game support. #Texans

Ryan Harris looked good in pass pro. He kept a clean slate today vs. the pass rushers. #Texans

Whitney Mercilus has some work to do as a pass rusher. He was going against the best in Brown, but still need to see more. #Texans

Duane Brown has great footwork. He knows how to bait pass rushers and he frustrated Mercilus today in pass pro work. #Texans

NT Terrell McClain has some quicks for a Dlineman. Rushed well in one on one pass pro. #Texans

Cameron Collins is making some good plays at ILB. He is taking advantage of his increased time with Sharpton out. #Texans

Ben Jones had a tough time a left guard in the run game. Was filling in for the sick Wade Smith. #Texans

DeAndre Hopkins showed some life today. Finally back to making catches and is gaining some continuity with Schaub. #Texans

D.J. Swearinger is not afraid to play inside the box. He will mix it up and make plays. #Texans

ILB Mike Mohamed had an interception today on a tipped ball. Rookie NT Chris Jones creates the pressure for the bad throw. #Texans

Hard not to like what Kareem Jackson has done. Always around the football and his playing with a high level of confidence. #Texans

NT Earl Mitchell was making plays majority of the day. He is a good compliment to the DEs next to him. #Texans

Quarterbacks once again looking sharp. The entire group has thrown well. #Texans

RB Dennis Johnson really made an impression with his overall strength. He can deliver a blow in pass pro. #Texans

Brooks vs. Watt was a great match up. Once Brooks can anchor he can stop anything, held his own against Watt. #Texans

Once Brandon Brooks gets a hold of a pass rusher it's over. Has to work on his footwork to combat quicker Dlineman. #Texans

David Quessenberry is a future piece of the Oline. He showed some serious strength in one on one pass pro. #Texans

OLB Willie Jefferson has made big strides. Has all the tools to be a pass rusher but holding up in the run game was an issue. #Texans

J.J. Watt vs. Duane Brown is a great matchup to watch. Both have their moments of getting the best of each other. #Texans

Antonio Smith dominated today on inside drills. Stopped three plays in a row. #Texans

Rookie cornerback AJ Bouye had two interceptions today. He is separating himself from the younger corners. #Texans

Alan Bonner made the catch of the day with a one handed leap on a deep ball. #Texans
Adam Wexler ‏@awexler
"When you put the pads on, you expect a little fire, edge. It showed.That's when you know you have a good group,' JJ Watt on today's scuffle #Texans

Very real talk from J-Jo about he & Kareem to be top CB tandem. Kareem made leap last year & he's been a blanket on WRs this camp #Texans

Best line at practice: DL coach Bill Kollar at DLineman knocked on his butt in 1-on-1 drill, "What'd you have for breakfast today!?" #Texans

DeAndre Hopkins on the field after practice with Schaub working on routes etc.

PapaL
07-28-2013, 10:56 AM
At this rate Sam Montgomery will be redshirted errr IR'd before we know it.

DX-TEX
07-28-2013, 11:13 AM
J.J. Watt vs. Duane Brown is a great matchup to watch. Both have their moments of getting the best of each other. #Texans

I would pay money to watch this. Seriously

IBleedTexans
07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
David Quessenberry is a future piece of the Oline. He showed some serious strength in one on one pass pro. #Texans

That's a pretty strong statement ! I like what I'm hearing about Q , maybe he can take over the left guard pos from wade . Nice pick up Texans !

Lucky
07-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Johnathan Joseph said that Kareem Jackson is actually the one who suggested he might have a sports hernia. He had the surgery after the Pro Bowl
Maybe Kareem should apply for the team physician gig? Unbelievable.

Rey
07-28-2013, 12:16 PM
No reports on Braman...

Your two speed rush guys that you expect to be on the roster in merci and Williams showing poorly so far.

Well it's early.

infantrycak
07-28-2013, 12:19 PM
No reports on Braman...

Your two speed rush guys that you expect to be on the roster in merci and Williams showing poorly so far.

Well it's early.

Or it is over analysis. Get serious. There have been a few reports of one of the best LTs in the NFL stymying a 2nd year OLB so the OLB is doing poorly. Somebody has to win. People would be all chicken little if Merciless was beating Brown.

DX-TEX
07-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Or it is over analysis. Get serious. There have been a few reports of one of the best LTs in the NFL stymying a 2nd year OLB and he is doing poorly. Somebody has to win. People would be all chicken little if Merciless was beating Brown.

Add in the fact that Brown stymies most of the better pass rushers in the league.

steelbtexan
07-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Maybe Kareem should apply for the team physician gig? Unbelievable.

It's past time for the Texans to look for new team physicians. TheDr.'s ineptitude never ceases to amaze me. I've got a feeling if Brennan Williams situation had been handled properly, (Surgery before OTA's) he would've been ready for week1. Now it's likely he will spend the season on the IR. Or contribute very little at the least.

This is just another example of the Texans medical team screwing up.

infantrycak
07-28-2013, 12:52 PM
It's past time for the Texans to look for new team physicians. TheDr.'s ineptitude never ceases to amaze me. I've got a feeling if Brennan Williams situation had been handled properly, (Surgery before OTA's) he would've been ready for week1. Now it's likely he will spend the season on the IR. Or contribute very little at the least.

So they have had the same folks the entire time? Just curious if you can name the key personnel whose tenure is too long.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2013, 01:00 PM
So they have had the same folks the entire time? Just curious if you can name the key personnel whose tenure is too long.

How long has Kap been around? I don't recall the name of the guy before him but I wasn't playing that close of attention prior to Kubiak.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 01:22 PM
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Texans-Training-Camp-pres-by-XFINITY-Day-3-slideshow/18cb504a-cee6-4566-b5fe-336a09da1ebb#start)
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_3024--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_3027--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_3031--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10088--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_3044--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_3270--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Texans-Training-Camp-pres-by-XFINITY-Day-3-slideshow/18cb504a-cee6-4566-b5fe-336a09da1ebb#start)

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 01:25 PM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB25995--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10028--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10002--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10050--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2844--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2493--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Just an FYI from a Newsletter that is routinely distributed to Medical Center physicians.

Texas Medical Center — Houston, Texas — TMC NEWS
Vol. 24, No. 5 Previous Table of Contents Home Next March 15, 2002

Clanton Named Team Physician for New Houston Texans Football Team
by MEREDITH RAINE-MIDDLETON
The University of Texas
Health Science Center at Houston

Dr. Tom Clanton, professor and chairman of the department of orthopedics at The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, is one of the new team physicians for the Houston Texans National Football League team.

Dr. Clanton, who has been practicing sports medicine for 20 years, will serve as an orthopedic consultant and the team�s foot and ankle specialist.

"I�m excited to be working with the Texans," Dr. Clanton said. "They have a great organization from the top down."

Dr. Clanton is no stranger to the sports arena. As a student, he played football at Rice University, and since 1982, has been a team physician for the Rice Athletic Department. He acted as a consultant to the team physician for the former Houston Oilers, and numerous professional football players already are among his patients.

His experience and the confidence of Drs. Walter Lowe, the Texans� head team physician, and James Muntz, team internist and volunteer faculty member at the UT-Houston Medical School, is what earned Dr. Clanton the spot on the four-member team of physicians.

"Our job will be to make sure that the players, as patients, receive the best possible care we can provide," Dr. Clanton said. "It�s imperative that physicians caring for athletes understand both the injury and the sport in order to determine when the risk of returning to sports participation is acceptable. This is particularly critical in the professional athlete."

The Houston Texans begin their inaugural season this fall.

Dr. Lowe has always remained the Texans' head team physician (orthopedics) and Dr. Muntz the team internist. Dr. Clanton (orthopedics) as "assistant" team physician to Dr. Lowe has since left the team. Dr. Lowe usually has a rotation of "lesser" assistants (orthopedic) at any one time.

I found the above highlighted paragraph especially "interesting."

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 01:33 PM
How long has Kap been around? I don't recall the name of the guy before him but I wasn't playing that close of attention prior to Kubiak.

I believe you are referring to Texans head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan. He is not a physician. He's been with the Texans I think going on his 5th year.

Corrosion
07-28-2013, 01:38 PM
That would be me patting Dr. CND on the back for all of his excellent contributions. Thanks, Doc. As always, MSR.

I don't think people realize how fortunate we are to have Doc's as a major contributor to these forums.

Hell , I get sick or hurt , I call Doc Jean .... Thanks Doc!

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 01:47 PM
JungleBoi_Swagg (https://twitter.com/JungleBoi_Swagg)
http://distilleryimage2.ak.instagram.com/dfcb4cc0f7bb11e28c0122000aa802dd_7.jpg

Late morning reads... (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2185849&postcount=135)

When Brandon Brooks gets his anchor down there isn't a force alive that can move him.

Brandon Brooks has the talent to be a stud in this league. After facing JJ Watt in 1 on 1s each day, what else does he have to fear?

Daniel Muir has a slap move that appears could dislocate an O-lineman's shoulder. If he makes linemen fear another attribute, it'd be deadly

Willie Jefferson had beat Andrew Gardner twice & split w/ Harris but Quessenberry, who shutdown Mercilus & Vardo, threw Willie to the ground

After Duane Brown shutdown Mercilus on all 4 of their 1 on 1s, Whit went up against David Quessenberry & lost. Kollar pulled him for Willie

Antonio Smith had his way w/ Ben Jones on both reps, but Jones took out his frustrations on Keith Browner, throwing him to the ground 1 on 1

As I mentioned yesterday, Ryan Harris looks like a patient vet. After Willie Jefferson beat him, he settled in and anchored.

Earl has the ability to beat Myers when he uses power, but anytime I see him try to spin out vs Myers the play is over.

O line vs D line 1 on 1s were fun to watch as always. Really enjoy Earl Mitchell vs Chris Myers, not so much Duane Brown vs Whitney Mercilus

1) Matt Schaub 2) TJ Yates 3) Case Keenum 4) Stephen McGee. Once again, it's very early and camp is fluid. Live bullets will be key.

Stephen McGee is delayed in his throws and seems to not be as instinctual. It's early & fluid, but if QB depth chart was due today, I'd go..

When Keenum was doing footwork drills that teach QBs to keep their body square when evading pressure, he still looked very raw.

Case Keenum has great location on his ball thrown outside of the numbers. He ALWAYS drops it in on the outside shoulder. Hard to defend

Antonio Smith came out fired up. He destroyed Ben Jones on 1 rep, then follows it up by making quick work of Brandon Brooks.

Whitney Mercilus impressed more on a run play towards his side, than on most passing rushing opportunities. He set the edge & stuffed run

AJ Bouye got out of position on a sideline 1 on 1, but had quick recovery & explosive vertical. His vert would of closed a window of 3-4 yds

Trevardo did get a reaction out of me when Adam Schiltz pulled down the back of the line towards Trevardo & was sent quickly to his backside

Trevardo didn't look comfortable in 1 on 1s & is struggling to learn NFL adjustments & line shifts. Can't grade him until the light goes on

Despite his size, he has good balance when taking on hits & is tough for defenders to tackle. Jared Crick had clean shot, but whiffed high.

Dennis Johnson continues to look like the possible homerun threat that this team has been looking for. Squeezes thru tiny holes & explosive

Ryan Griffin has impressed in his routes and hands, but DJ stayed tight in coverage before their legs tangled up.

DJ repeatedly plowed thru players coming thru the hole when he was in the box. After 1 play, he told Manning "I lit his little #@$ up"

Swearinger kept on for what seemed like a full mintue, screaming & making noises that usually don't come from humans.

After a Mercilus / Tate scuffle, followed by Antonio Smith mixing it up, Swearinger ran screaming on the field, "now we're playing football"

DJ Swearinger now takes the same tenacity to the defensive back group. It doesn't talk or carry himself as a rookie on the field.

Apparently every level of the Texans' defense now has a fiery player that loves the nastiness of football. We knew about Cushing, then Watt

Texans_Chick
07-28-2013, 02:01 PM
No reports on Braman...

Well it's early.

I am personally reluctant to tweet too much about specific player performance. Unless it is off the charts good or bad.

Because people over read stuff.

Lots of stuff going on. People see things differently.

Fans want news. Media wants to give news. However, the problem is that most camp stuff is not news.

I don't think any of the OLB are "showing poorly."

I think it is worth emphasizing what Kubiak said yesterday. From day to day, and even with shells and then pads on, he really doesn't have a good feel for performance until he gets to about the 3rd preseason game.

“I reserve judgment until we get to about the third week of the preseason. We’ve got a long way to go and you never know what’s going to happen. Right now, it’s just about teaching, grinding, coaching everybody. Everybody’s involved in that process. Just stay with the process, keep working and we’ve got to be ready to win a game against San Diego on opening day, so we’ll stay with the process.”

In other words, just because you haven't heard a ton on certain guys, doesn't mean you should be freaking out.

I think it is legit to go, hmmm Connor Barwin lots of snaps to replace, very little proven stuff.

But on quality of OLB play, we really won't know until real games.

Honoring Earl 34
07-28-2013, 02:07 PM
I don't think people realize how fortunate we are to have Doc's as a major contributor to these forums.

Hell , I get sick or hurt , I call Doc Jean .... Thanks Doc!

We are lucky .:goodluck:

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I believe you are referring to Texans head athletic trainer Geoff Kaplan. He is not a physician. He's been with the Texans I think going on his 5th year.

Although he's not a physician, he's the guy in charge of that whole department, right? I'd assume the physicians are giving their reports and recommendations to Kap and then Kap is the interface to the coaching staff. I could be wrong about that but whenever there's a medically oriented question, Kubiak's all "Well, Kap said..."

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 02:16 PM
We are lucky .:goodluck:Damn straight. http://www.mdinspectplus.com/images/SmileyFace_doctor.jpg

Because people over read stuff...most camp stuff is not news.I agree, but we like to hear some chatter about football. I take note when Seth Payne makes a football observation, since he's been there and knows of what he speaks. But camp is for learning and improving, so player assessment is pretty fluid day-to-day. Still fun to hear what others see, though. :doot:

Texans_Chick
07-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Damn straight. http://www.mdinspectplus.com/images/SmileyFace_doctor.jpg

I agree, but we like to hear some chatter about football. I take note when Seth Payne makes a football observation, since he's been there and knows of what he speaks. But camp is for learning and improving, so player assessment is pretty fluid day-to-day. Still fun to hear what others see, though. :doot:

I like sharing observations. And do.

Hard to do on Twitter without each observation being over-read though.

Bouye did have a nice day. Two picks, could have had a 3rd.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Although he's not a physician, he's the guy in charge of that whole department, right? I'd assume the physicians are giving their reports and recommendations to Kap and then Kap is the interface to the coaching staff. I could be wrong about that but whenever there's a medically oriented question, Kubiak's all "Well, Kap said..."

Here is the entire list of 2013 Houston Texans medical staff:

Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer...Geoff Kaplan
Coordinator of Rehabilitation/Assistant Athletic Trainer...Roland Ramirez
Assistant Athletic Trainer...........................A.J. Van Valkenburgh
Team Medical Director & Head Team Orthopedist... Dr. Walter Lowe
Team Orthopedist....................................... .....Dr. Steven Flores
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. Thomas Hunt
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. David Lintner
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. Mark Prasarn
Team Orthopedist....................................... .......Dr. Kevin Varner
Team Internist......................................... ..........Dr. James Muntz
Team Radiologist.................................Dr. Manickam Kumaravel
Team Emergency Physician.......................... Dr. Michael Chang
Team Emergency Physician....................... Dr. William Spangler
Team Dentist........................................... ........... Dr. Tom O’Brien
Team Chiropractor...................................... .......Dr. Dana Harper
Team Active Release Techniques® & Graston Provider
.................................................. .................... Dr. Chris Sanders
Team Dietitian......................................... ............Roberta Anding
Team Massage Therapist.................. Joni Honn/Genuine Touch
Team Ophthalmologist......................Baylor College of Medicine

Lots of fancy titles. Bottom line, the head trainer in a system such as this will have the typical day-to-day contact with both the players and the coaches. But when there are particular player injury or medical problems in question, a physician (after input by the head trainer) will make final diagnostic evaluations and course of treatment plans and return-to-play decisions. Because of the head trainer's natural daily feedback relationship with Kubiak, it would not be unusual, if the organization feels comfortable, for him to be designated as appropriate to take on somewhat of a PR role.

jaayteetx
07-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Here is the entire list of 2013 Houston Texans medical staff:

Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer...Geoff Kaplan
Coordinator of Rehabilitation/Assistant Athletic Trainer...Roland Ramirez
Assistant Athletic Trainer...........................A.J. Van Valkenburgh
Team Medical Director & Head Team Orthopedist... Dr. Walter Lowe
Team Orthopedist....................................... .....Dr. Steven Flores
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. Thomas Hunt
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. David Lintner
Team Orthopedist....................................... ......Dr. Mark Prasarn
Team Orthopedist....................................... .......Dr. Kevin Varner
Team Internist......................................... ..........Dr. James Muntz
Team Radiologist.................................Dr. Manickam Kumaravel
Team Emergency Physician.......................... Dr. Michael Chang
Team Emergency Physician....................... Dr. William Spangler
Team Dentist........................................... ........... Dr. Tom O’Brien
Team Chiropractor...................................... .......Dr. Dana Harper
Team Active Release Techniques® & Graston Provider
.................................................. .................... Dr. Chris Sanders
Team Dietitian......................................... ............Roberta Anding
Team Massage Therapist.................. Joni Honn/Genuine Touch
Team Ophthalmologist......................Baylor College of Medicine

Lots of fancy titles. Bottom line, the head trainer in a system such as this will have the typical day-to-day contact with both the players and the coaches. But when there are particular player injury or medical problems in question, a physician (after input by the head trainer) will make final diagnostic evaluations and course of treatment plans and return-to-play decisions. Because of the head trainer's natural daily feedback relationship with Kubiak, it would not be unusual, if the organization feels comfortable, for him to be designated as appropriate to take on somewhat of a PR role.

13 Md's? Don't like that number, maybe they should add another or get rid of one!

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2013, 03:40 PM
13 Md's? Don't like that number, maybe they should add another or get rid of one!

Let me allow you to not lose any sleep tonight. There are actually only 11 MDs listed.........trainers, dentists and chiropractors (Dr. Sanders also a chiropractor) are not MDs.:):)

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Let me allow you to not lose any sleep tonight. There are actually only 11 MDs listed.........trainers, dentists and chiropractors (Dr. Sanders also a chiropractor) are not MDs.:):)

I was just pleased to see they had someone doing Active Release. My shoulder would probably still be non-functional if it hadn't been for ART.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Live from #Texans training camp tomorrow is ESPN Sports Center. They've begun setting up

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQSlG8KCIAAacQY.jpg

Smith said that Willie Jefferson really impressed him on 1st day of pads in o line / d line drills. #texans

Antonio Smith said Earl Mitchell has the quickest first step of anyone on the D line. Said he also brings a ton of power with it. #texans

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock b
...Chick said they'll monitor how successful each RB is w/ their touches. Said he's hoping all goes well w/ both & they can use them that way

I asked Chick if he wanted to get Ben Tate more involved coming off of Arian's heavy workload:...

On Dennis, he also said that a change of pace back is a matchup you like to have. A guy that can give you big plays in spot occasions.

Chick Harris says he likes Dennis Johnson as a halfback from the running & receiving standpoint. Good quickness, vision, instinctive player.

On Cierre Wood he said he can slash inside, press the holes, bounce, & has good speed to bounce outside.

Last bit of tweets from camp for today. I spoke with Texans' running back coach, Chick Harris after practice.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Texans finally announced Earl Okine was taken off PUP. He practiced today. D-line did a Gator Chomp to welcome him back.

Antonio Smith, when asked to pick one guy who stood out in pass rush, picked UDFA OLB Willie Jefferson.

Playoffs
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
The Sideline View's John Harris is "not buying" FS Ed Reed (hip surgery) will be ready for Week 1. (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2222/ed-reed)
Harris noticed Reed "wince" doing backpedal-and-turn drills on a side field, and says he "didn't look comfortable doing anything other than running straight ahead." Harris no longer even believes the Texans' goal is to have Reed back for Opening Day. They may consider anything Reed offers in 2013 a bonus

HOUSTON TEXANS' TRAINING CAMP THOUGHTS: DAY THREE
John Harris, TheSidelineView (http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/houston-texans-training-camp-thoughts-day-three)

Quotes: Texans Training Camp Day 3
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
CB Kareem Jackson
CB Johnathan Joseph
NT Earl Mitchell
RT Derek Newton
DE J.J. Watt
Head Coach Gary Kubiak

Afternoon Practice:
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
DE Antonio Smith (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-3/6923338c-dd81-4cf8-88f3-028e55ba8497)

Emptied Notebook: Day 3 of Texans Training Camp

Drew Dougherty (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Emptied-Notebook-Day-3-of-Texans-Training-Camp/83c231bc-13c8-4514-8a78-4f4cd16000f8)

*The following is a random assortment of quotes, oddities, scattershots and interesting tidbits from Sunday's training camp practices.

-The team wore ‘shells’ on Sunday for the first time during training camp. ‘Shells’ is short for ‘shoulder pads’ and ‘helmets’. Because the team was in shells, practice was a bit more physical than it had been the first two days of camp.

-At one point during the outside portion of the morning work, while the offense and defense were broken off into position groups, the specialists went through an interesting drill. Punters Shane Lechler and Andrew Shapiro, along with kicker Randy Bullock and long snapper Jon Weeks, fielded tennis balls from special teams assistant Bob Ligashesky. Taking turns, each player would start around mid-field and run toward the north end zone, and Ligashesky would fire a grounder for the specialist to field.

-For a few moments during the outside portion of the morning practice...

TejasTom
07-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I was lucky enough to get to go to Saturday's morning practice. Sorry these are late.

Schaub was the only one to run on to the field. Everyone else walked.

Willie Jefferson is one tall man. Wonder what Coach Joe is telling him here?
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/2.JPG

Glad he's not pointing at me.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/4.JPG

Pain is coming to town.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/7.JPG

Jefferson interception drill.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/10.JPG

TejasTom
07-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Cush looks good in lateral drills.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/12.JPG

Reed looks huge.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/15.JPG

Maybe Yates looked good in 11 on 11. But in the 1 on 1 drills he didn't throw on catchable pass. Here's Hopkins trying his best.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/17.JPG

Again Yates makes it impossible for the receiver. Good job by Harris. Jean made the tackle.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/18.JPG

TejasTom
07-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Dre and JJoe fighting for position.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/20.JPG

Martin looked good. Keenum dropped it right in.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/21.JPG

Hopkins caught this pass from Schaub.
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/23.JPG

The right stuff?
http://www.xpertcomp.com/texanstalk/25.JPG

Brisco_County
07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
I love this forum. Good updates, guys.

Brisco_County
07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
From John Harris' report linked above. It appears that Willie Jefferson is this year's Lestar Jean.

Jefferson is a complete and total unknown, but the coaches love this guy. Well, when I say that coaches love a guy, it means he's getting coached up as much as, or more than, any other defensive player. The former receiver at Baylor transferred to Stephen F. Austin and turned into a pass rushing demon. During Saturday's morning practice, he got matched up on All-Pro Duane Brown. What happened next I thought was an aberration, but Jefferson started at Duane's outside shoulder then WHOOSH back underneath him without Brown getting a hand on him. The defensive players whooped and hollered while the OL all look at each other like "holy sh--, that's not supposed to happen". Kollar and Wade Phillips consistently preach to him about finishing and going hard every play, but if there's an UDFA to keep an eye on during preseason, it's Jefferson.

Rey
07-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Or it is over analysis. Get serious. There have been a few reports of one of the best LTs in the NFL stymying a 2nd year OLB so the OLB is doing poorly. Somebody has to win. People would be all chicken little if Merciless was beating Brown.

You need to get real. When you have several people watching practice and all saying that a guy needs to get better and looks ineffective there's usually a reason for that.

You're not very good at this football stuff IMO.

One on ones tilt in favor towards the defense as far as pass pro goes. Willie Jefferson had no problem beating brown on a play. Did people freak out about that? No. Also, merciless Went against quessenberry and lost. Then the coach pulled him. Is quess an all pro? Maybe kollar needs to get real for pulling him.

As a pass rusher you should at least be flashing sometimes. You act like the damn team mom sometimes.

infantrycak
07-28-2013, 11:48 PM
LOL Rey - back to your poor rhetoric tactics. If you have no real response you just accuse people of having no football knowledge. It's rather pathetically predictable.

Rey
07-28-2013, 11:56 PM
LOL Rey - back to your poor rhetoric tactics. If you have no real response you just accuse people of having no football knowledge. It's rather pathetically predictable.

Yep. That's all that was there.

Oh....LOL?

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 01:11 AM

I'm not the Texans, I don't manage multi-million dollar assets. But if it were my kids, I'm opting for non-invasive treatment first.

I know the Texans is a business, but it's nice to know they're still people who care about people.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 01:33 AM
I am personally reluctant to tweet too much about specific player performance. Unless it is off the charts good or bad.

Because people over read stuff.

Lots of stuff going on. People see things differently.

Fans want news. Media wants to give news. However, the problem is that most camp stuff is not news.

I agree. All this "one on one" stuff is interesting, but means very little in a game, especially on the OL where we combo block a lot, our guys normally set up the angles in their favor, or the offense has to "worry" about the unknown..... is that guy coming or not?

This should be about the about the basics. Can you see the athleticism, how are their feet, their balance? Is there any burst? Fast twitch or slow twitch? Does he get frustrated? Does he give up? Does he give you any lip?

I think it is legit to go, hmmm Connor Barwin lots of snaps to replace, very little proven stuff.

But on quality of OLB play, we really won't know until real games.

Well, we had plenty of opportunity to see Mercilus on the field last season. Barwin was almost non-existent but they still thought he deserved more snaps than Whitney. Braman couldn't get on the field, even after Reed got hurt. (I know he got some snaps)

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Re: John Harris report.

Technically, we are not supposed to be reporting on what we see specifically on the side rehab field.

As it relates to Ed Reed, I've heard everything from optimism to pessimism in the way he is currently moving. Harris' view (I talked to him) was as pessimistic as I heard from anyone. Personally from my observations, I think it is hard to say one way or another without knowing how long he has been doing the running activities. I did not expect him to be moving that well--don't know where his speed, ability to cover is.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 06:59 AM
You need to get real. When you have several people watching practice and all saying that a guy needs to get better and looks ineffective there's usually a reason for that.

You're not very good at this football stuff IMO.

One on ones tilt in favor towards the defense as far as pass pro goes. Willie Jefferson had no problem beating brown on a play. Did people freak out about that? No. Also, merciless Went against quessenberry and lost. Then the coach pulled him. Is quess an all pro? Maybe kollar needs to get real for pulling him.

As a pass rusher you should at least be flashing sometimes. You act like the damn team mom sometimes.

Um.

There's a ton of reps that happen at practice over multiple days. I would not over emphasize any one report. Nobody covering practice is everywhere all at once. That is why they have video cameras everywhere for the staff.

It is also difficult to guard against group think among media members at camp because everybody talks together. I must confess a lot of times when I read that X media member is high or low on a particular player, I look to see what they are seeing and am not seeing it.

So, yeah, I could likely point out good and bad plays of just about every player of the team at each individual practice because no one, even J.J. Watt consistently wins every play.

For much of the pass rush stuff, I strongly believe that we won't get a better sense of things until real games with real lineups.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 07:14 AM
As it relates to players I am specifically encouraged about, here's the list:

Quessenberry--Getting asked to do a ton, and doing well at it. Texans appreciate that ability.

Hopkins, Martin, Bonner--With Hopkins and Martin you can see the future some. Andre looks like all man, per usual. Scary collision in camp around the ball yesterday, Andre still caught it. (nobody looked to be hurt).

Quarterbacks--Encouraging looking in practice. Ahead of last year. Would like to see workmanlike efficiency during preseason.

Tight Ends--Really like how Ryan Griffin has been doing work while Graham out. Good hands. Both AJ and OD have midseason type chemistry with Schaub.

Running back competition--Tate looks good. I'm not worried about Foster. He looks good training on side field, I want them to hold him out as long as they want. For the other running backs, it is all about pass pro.

With much of the defense, too early to say. They can't tackle.

Specifically, just because Swearinger talks, doesn't mean he can play. Too early to say. He's on my wait and see list.

Manning, JJo, KJ look like they should be playing right now.

Brennan Williams has a nice Oline shape, but is very behind on basic footwork stuff bc he missed time. Coach is in his ear the whole time.

I got to run off to camp now, but I will keep checking in this thread to answer specific stuff.

Rey
07-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Um.
There's a ton of reps that happen at practice over multiple days. I would not over emphasize any one report.

In my initial post I noted that it was early.

I'm not over emphasizing anything. I simply stated what the reports stated in my on terms.

That said, the pass rush isn't a camp concern. They struggled getting pressure off the edges last year. The final determination of this years pass rush won't be until the season is over. But as a fan, I want to see some encouraging signs from our primary edge rushers. Note, I never said our pass rush is doomed this year because of some not so shiny early reports. Again, I noted specifically, "it's early".

But just my football take on things, pass rushing is one of the easiest things to look at in practice and see if a guy's got something there. Not the be all end all, but you can tell if a guy has got something. Those situations are much harder for the OL whereas the passing stuff with just WR and DB's is harder on the DB's.

Brandon420tx
07-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Quarterbacks--Encouraging looking in practice. Ahead of last year. Would like to see workmanlike efficiency during preseason..

I read this as womanlike efficiency at first and I was like "zing!!"

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
As it relates to players I am specifically encouraged about, here's the list:

Quessenberry--Getting asked to do a ton, and doing well at it. Texans appreciate that ability.

Tight Ends--Really like how Ryan Griffin has been doing work while Graham out. Good hands.
Where is Quess getting reps?

I have a huge concern if we lose OD or GG to injury, so good to hear about Griffin.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 09:48 AM
On Sam Montgomery, as I feared, the word I'm getting is that his boot is "hiding" a high ankle sprain. If so, he is unlikely to be able to return to the field in any capacity before 6-8 weeks..........and at that time will be high risk thereafter for recurrent problems.

Brisco_County
07-29-2013, 09:54 AM
On Sam Montgomery, as I feared, the word I'm getting is that his boot is "hiding" a high ankle sprain. If so, he is unlikely to be able to return to the field in any capacity before 6-8 weeks..........and at that time will be high risk thereafter for recurrent problems.

Disappointing. How do players generally prepare or get conditioned to avoid that kind of injury?

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Day 4 First Look video: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/First-Look-Day-4/2c273138-eacb-4532-afe6-f2b35ce5243e

Sportscenter is at camp today

http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB26527--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB26552--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB26572--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Rey
07-29-2013, 10:05 AM

If that's the case, that is disappointing to hear.

nero THE zero
07-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Re: John Harris report.

Technically, we are not supposed to be reporting on what we see specifically on the side rehab field.

As it relates to Ed Reed, I've heard everything from optimism to pessimism in the way he is currently moving. Harris' view (I talked to him) was as pessimistic as I heard from anyone. Personally from my observations, I think it is hard to say one way or another without knowing how long he has been doing the running activities. I did not expect him to be moving that well--don't know where his speed, ability to cover is.

Anyone who listens to his show know where he stood on the Reed FA signing?

Harris isn't the most objective guy in the world. So, it wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to justify his take on the issue more than reporting anything substantial.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp07272013_Wyckoff_DSC_2491--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Kubiak said that #Texans defense will be working some on read option stuff soon as part of process of installing the defense

Ed Reed busted me watching his rehab. "You want to work out too!" "No sir, I'm good." /IMO his rehab says nothing now about his return date.

Asked Schaub if fans should be concerned with Fosters return. He didn't seem concerned at all. Said no games now.

Schaub: Expectations for Hopkins "through the roof." Will get many opportunities, very skilled. #Texans
Seth Payne ‏@PayneNFL
@PayneNFL: Undrafted rookie OLB Willie Jefferson continues to flash on pass rush. Very athletic, but laaaaanky. 6'5" 233.

Quessenberry had some rough run downs at guard, with Terrell McClain driving him deep into backfield.

Mercilus pulled up with some kind of strain pursuing downfield on a pass play. Stayed in pads but was held out.

Trevardo Williams' size is hurting him at this point. Gets swallowed up. Gonna have to be much more violent.
Rookie safety DJ Swearinger was apparently goaded into freestyling on command for tv cameras. Heard it was pretty good. #Texans

Schaub says he has no hard feelings toward LB Joe Mays who bloodied his ear w/an illegal hit last year. #Texans brought Mays in for a visit.

"Willie's went from 5th team to 1st team in about a month," Gary Kubiak, with a smile about Willie Jefferson. #Texans

Whitney Mercilus suffered a hamstring injury today. Kubiak isn't too concerned about its seriousness. #Texans

Darryl Sharpton got an injection this morning and they'll evaluate him further on Wednesday. #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"He talks to me every day about regular life and on-the-field stuff and I take it in every day and I appreciate it." - Swearinger on Reed

I started to notice Jared Crick yesterday but he started to turn some more heads today. #TexansTalk

Ben Jones has looked much better than I expected him to. Trevardo Williams is really struggling out there. #TexansTalk

J.J. Watt is obviously really strong. Brandon Brooks looks like the only guy with a chance against him in pass rush drills. #TexansTalk

Here are some observations from today's practice: Willie Jefferson continues to look good. He's really quick. #TexansTalk

"Obviously, y’all know we’re talking to him. He’s out there, he’s free." -- Kubiak on Joe Mays, who the Texans brought in for a visit

Darryl Sharpton told reporters he injured his groin training but expects to be back in two or three days. #TexansTalk

"Whitney’s got a little hamstring strain we don’t think it’s very serious so we have to evaluate him." -- Kubiak on Mercilus #TexansTalk

"Yeah, we actually gave Darryl and injection yesterday. He’s feeling much better." Kubiak on Sharpton #TexansTalk

Sharpton got an injection yesterday. Came in with a groin injury.

Graham might be back by mid week.

Mercilus has a hammy strain
#Texans morning session: Mercilus slight pull of a hammy, Quessenberry looking good, Watt is too good for any1 now that there's contact

Q: thigh pads different? "I don't know. I didn't measure them." Q: Thinner? "I'll compare them when I get in the locker room." - Schaub

"We're going to get him plenty of 1-on-1 coverage and chances to get the football and we're going to get him the football." Schaub on Hopkins

Kubiak down played Mercilus' hamstring injury. He stayed at practice icing and getting stretched out. Came up lame chasing a receiver.

Schaub said the #texans do have the pieces to get to the Super Bowl.

Schaub said Andre Johnson doesn't get looks in redzone is bc of coverage. said "it's not like we're not trying to get the ball to him"

Whitney Mercilus pulled up with a sore hamstring in practice
Greg Bailey ‏@GregBailey13
Watching fullback clinic. Greg Jones and Tyler Clutts staying late for extra work on the sled. Empty field, hard work. #Texans

Rookie David Quessenberry strong on offensive line in pads today. Good looking athlete working at guard and tackle. Veterans impressed.
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Andre, JJo, Owen and Antonio Smith were all healthy onlookers of practice today. #Texans

Talked to Garrett Graham today was feeling "much better" after being out with a virus. Was his first appearance at camp today.

Ben Jones is being asked to play two positions. When he gets a chance to play one spot he will get even better. #Texans

Still feels like the #Texans are trying to figure out Quessenberry's best position.

No secret why the #Texans signed Greg Jones. Some ILBs today found out why. #Texans

Trevardo Williams has some work to do as a pass rusher. Two days in a row where he struggles with moves. #Texans

Ben Tate looks like a new person out there. He has a great ability to make the first defender miss. #Texans

TE Adam Schiltz gave the safeties some issues today in coverage. He was able to work and catch some nice passes for big yards

Some serious competition at the defensive line behind the first five. Muir, Jones and McClain have all had good starts at camp. #Texans

Rookie NT Chris Jones has good ability to Russ the passer. He showed it again today. Pads have helped Jones. #Texans

Jared Crick looks good and has taken one of the bigger steps in play from year one to two. He looks much more fluid and can move.

Matt Schaub and DeAndre Hopkins are getting more in tune in the passing game. He threw a nice post route to Hopkins in stride.

Brice McCain had a solid day. Looked good in coverage and no signs of his foot injury slowing him down. #Texans

Derek Newton is moving well and moved the pile in 9 on 7 run drill. Him and Brooks can move the line of scrimmage. #Texans

Brooks constantly works against Watt in pass protection. Watt gets the best of him but Brooks has shown some promise of slowing him down.

Danieal Manning caused Cierre Wood to fumble. Wood tried to jump a pile and Manning stripped the ball with Jamison recovering it.

2 things for Willie Jefferson will decide his fate. How he will hold up against the run and if he can do it against real NFL OTs. #Texans

Willie Jefferson keeps making a positive impression. His pass rush skills are natural, even tests Duane Brown to give him good work. #Texans

T.J. Yates has continually improved his mechanics. He has tighten up his delivery and velocity has gotten better #Texans

NT Terrell McClain stole the show today. Constant disruption for the offensive line. #Texans

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, heck.

I went from having a lot of hope about our OLBs to my only hope resting on a UDFA.

:vincepalm:

Rey
07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Hopefully Merciless is fine. Can't afford injuries to the LB corps...

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Well, heck.

I went from having a lot of hope about our OLBs to my only hope resting on a UDFA.

:vincepalm:

I was worried before camp but now its almost downright frightening.

Porky
07-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Indeed, but also maddening. I mean this was the knock on the guy. Yes, I realize that anyone can roll an ankle, but if he wasn't in prime condition, couldn't that make it more likely to incur an injury?

Just looking at some of the reports from guys like J Harris, T Chick, Marc V and others - I'm really encouraged with the secondary. Harris says it's the best he's ever seen it as a group, and he specifically called out Kareem Jackson.

As a major detractor of Kareem's I'm more than happy to eat that big ole plate of crow. He doesn't have elite speed, and I still think he is average at best on the deep routes, but CB is also about anticipation, instincts, and ball skills. And he has really developed in all those areas and he mirrors guys very well on the short and intermediate routes. The mental side of his game has gone from bad to terrific in a short span. And if these reports are true, he may take another step this year from good #2 to great #2, and that could possibly put the Texans top 2 duo in the running for best 1 and 2 combo at CB this year.

I was kind of excited when we signed AJ Bouye as a UDFA, and I've also heard very good things from him early in camp. If Carmichael and Harris don't get it together in a hurry, one of them might be shocked that AJ beat them out. Probably a bit of a longshot but he's the guy I'm keeping an eye on in preseason, although over TV CB is hard to evaluate other than on balls thrown his way. We'll see.

On the bad side, I'm more worried than ever about the pass rush. We need someone at OLB that can be a demon and one or two others that can give the QB fits at times as well, and early reports are troubling. I mean are we really going to place all our chips on Willie Jefferson? I think he has some clear upside if camp reports are true, but he is very raw and he is thin. Teams will be able to shove him around imo. Montgomery is a zero who may end up on IR, T Williams has no moves and is slow off the ball (per J Harris), one guy is in Philly, Merciless hasn't been great either, and Reed is more suited for ILB to me and isn't a great rusher. Not terrible, but not a demon. Who is going to step up for this team?

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Disappointing. How do players generally prepare or get conditioned to avoid that kind of injury?

Predisposing factors for ankle sprains in general include poor core and lower limb (hip to ankle joint) muscle tone/strength, poor athletic conditioning that is commonly associated with being overweight and having poor balance or coordination. All of these factors contribute to ankle instability and must be the focus of the rehab. In addition, a high-arched foot can also increase the risk of ankle sprains and must be taken into consideration as far as adjusting footwear.

FYI:
~5-10 % of all ankle sprains are high ankle sprains
~50 % of athletes have a recurring ankle sprain
~40 % of athletes have long-term ankle instability after a severe sprain

Keep in mind that although I gave Montgomery a potential 6-8 week "return," he would obviously not be considered "football ready" at that time. This type of injury can be quite unpredictable. I have seen a good share of severe high ankle sprains that were not ready to return for several months(I'm sure that you Rey have seen this same scenario). Furthermore, if it is severe and conservative treatment fails, surgical screws would need to be placed....with at least an additional 12 week rehab before considering back to "field activities".....like weight-bearing (walking).

Rey
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
(I'm sure that you Rey have seen this same scenario).

Actually I have...I had a bad ankle sprain in high school that still bothers me at times.

I was out for a couple of months at the time...was on crutches for a while...Luckily I had my injury in march or april...Lots and lots of rehab...

But has there been any word on how severe his sprain was?

Heath Shuler
07-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Surprisingly good coverage from ESPN on Live at Texans camp on Sportscenter. Interviews (so far) w Kubiak, 80, Cush, Schaub, and JJ.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Actually I have...I had a bad ankle sprain in high school that still bothers me at times.

I was out for a couple of months at the time...was on crutches for a while...Luckily I had my injury in march or april...Lots and lots of rehab...

But has there been any word on how severe his sprain was?

Sorry, no. But a high ankle sprain is a severe ankle sprain by definition. He didn't go for immediate surgery, so we can pretty much rule out that there was a displaced fracture associated with it. Being in a boot at this time would not distinguish the remaining two possibilities of stable vs. unstable ankle (+ or - undisplaced fracture). Unless actual detailed truthful reporting is available or x-rays, at this point no way to tell the difference, since both may be treated conservatively initially.

EDIT: I should specify that the terms "stable vs. unstable" above refers to the extent of separation of the tibia from the fibula due to tear of the connecting ligaments. Any ankle sprain in the loose sense lends itself to some "instability."

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
On the bad side, I'm more worried than ever about the pass rush. We need someone at OLB that can be a demon and one or two others that can give the QB fits at times as well, and early reports are troubling. I mean are we really going to place all our chips on Willie Jefferson?

I agree. With all the mobile QBs we're going to be facing, we're going to have hell. We need these smaller athletic guys to put pressure on the QB as he escapes the pocket, so he's not just lobbing it to open defenders. We need him to be "worried" someone is going to catch him & put a hurt on him.

That was one of our problems in 2010, we could chase the QB out of the pocket, but our DLmen couldn't keep up with the QBs. They could juke & lose them in the backfield..... & we had to rush Cushing to stop it.

I'm not against using Cush that way again, but he can't do everything.

Brisco_County
07-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Sorry, no. But a high ankle sprain is a severe ankle sprain by definition. He didn't go for immediate surgery, so we can pretty much rule out that there was a displaced fracture associated with it. Being in a boot at this time would not distinguish the remaining two possibilities of stable vs. unstable ankle (+ or - undisplaced fracture). Unless actual detailed truthful reporting is available or x-rays, at this point no way to tell the difference, since both may be treated conservatively initially.

EDIT: I should specify that the terms "stable vs. unstable" above refers to the extent of separation of the tibia from the fibula due to tear of the connecting ligaments. Any ankle sprain in the loose sense lends itself to some "instability."

If the typical timeframe indicates that he'll be on the PUP after 7/31, then there's a good chance he'll be IR bound.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 11:57 AM
The typical timeframe indicates that he'll be on the PUP after 7/31, so there's a good chance he'll be IR bound.

IIRC, he can't go on to the PUP if he didn't start TC on the PUP and stay on the PUP. The fact that he practiced for a few snaps before getting hurt means that he's not PUP-able for the season.

So.

IR stash.

Brisco_County
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Hopefully Merciless is fine. Can't afford injuries to the LB corps...

If we sign Mays, then Reed is definitely back at OLB.

Rey
07-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Sharpron hurt his groin riding dolphins? Was he joking?

paycheck71
07-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Doc, is the fact that he finished that afternoon's walkthrough any indication as to the severity of his injury? Assuming that letting him do that was the right medical decision at the time.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Doc, is the fact that he finished that afternoon's walkthrough any indication as to the severity of his injury? Assuming that letting him do that was the right medical decision at the time.

Truthfully, I don't know what can be made of that..............there's a reason it's called a "walking boot."

Porky
07-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Not doubting Doc at all, but I'm not seeing any report of a high ankle sprain. I mean is this official, or thru the grapevine or what? If it is a HAS, then I'm not so sure we shouldn't just IR Montgomery. Our 3rd picks are turning out to be crap - at least this year. You at least figure 3rd rounders will be good depth in their first yr and/or maybe good ST guys. Looks like they are zero's at this point.

The plus side is I'm really liking all of the others top to bottom, and I think we may have multiple gems in the 6th rd.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Not doubting Doc at all, but I'm not seeing any report of a high ankle sprain. I mean is this official, or thru the grapevine or what? If it is a HAS, then I'm not so sure we shouldn't just IR Montgomery. Our 3rd picks are turning out to be crap - at least this year. You at least figure 3rd rounders will be good depth in their first yr and/or maybe good ST guys. Looks like they are zero's at this point.

The plus side is I'm really liking all of the others top to bottom, and I think we may have multiple gems in the 6th rd.

Trevardo might not turn into a great LB but he should be good on ST.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Some early camp chatter about the lanky 6'5" 233 lb. Willie Jefferson...

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/e0/ee02f3aa-f6b3-11e2-91cc-0019bb30f31a/51f3b606b2724.image.jpg
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/07/z-25-willie-jefferson-duane-brown.jpg
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/bb/ebb74718-f6b3-11e2-ab62-0019bb30f31a/51f3b602d6cb5.image.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 12:40 PM

Through...............until now.
Just released:

Sports
Camp Confidential: Monday (7-29)
WILL GRUBB / PAUL GALLANT, Sports Radio 610
July 29, 2013 12:13 PM

Houston (CBS Houston) – Editor’s Note: Camp Confidential will feature daily news and notes throughout Texans training camp. Make sure to check back for updates following the afternoon practice.

The Texans wrapped up a busy morning session at Methodist Training Complex. Here is everything you need to know:

>>>Former Broncos inside linebacker Joe Mays is in Houston for a tryout. If all goes well the Texans have strong interest in signing the 28-year-old.

“He’s out there… he’s free… and we’ve got some things going on with our team that we think he might be interested in.” said Kubiak.

>>> Daryl Sharpton received an injection in his groin yesterday. He expects to be back in a couple of days.

>>>Wade Smith returned to practice after missing both Sunday sessions with an illness.

>>>DeAndre Hopkins continues to impress making a couple nice catches this morning. It’s hard to understate his role in the offense.

“He’s getting a ton of reps, a ton of opportunities in both the run and the pass.” said Matt Schaub. “We’re going to get him the football and we’re going to give him a chance to make plays with it in his hands… and he’s going to do that.”

>>>OLB Whitney Mercilus tweaked his hamstring but it didn’t appear to be serious. If Mercilus misses a practice or two it could potentially be a big opportunity for young linebackers Trevardo Williams, Sam Montgomery, and Willie Jefferson . Williams struggled to get off blocks when rushing the passer this morning and Montgomery is still sidelined with a high-ankle sprain.

>>>Speaking of Willie Jefferson, he’s had a near perfect camp so far… even stealing some first team reps . At 6’5, 233 his size clearly stands out and his outside quickness is impressive.

HOU-TEX
07-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Sharpron hurt his groin riding dolphins? Was he joking?

Yes, it was a joke.

Although, the real joke is his ability to stay on the field. Still not sure why we continue to carry this dude.

PapaL
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Yes, it was a joke.

Although, the real joke is his ability to stay on the field. Still not sure why we continue to carry this dude.

For his dolphin riding ability?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bye/adorable-dolphin-says-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

Porky
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Bennie Sharpton needs to be on a slow boat to the Rev Al's palatial estate. Maybe his Uncle will help him join the family business - organized crime...er I mean community organizing.

Porky
07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Through...............until now.
Just released:

Thanks Doc. Well, that just made my Monday. Grrrrr. :slapfight:

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Just released: Montgomery is still sidelined with a high-ankle sprain
I asked for confirmation -- think 610 will get in trouble for reporting that if I understand "the rules" they're supposed to abide by. We'll see.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 01:49 PM

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/07/z-25-willie-jefferson-duane-brown.jpg

He looks "thicker" than 6'5" 233lbs..... that's good. Definitely not as lanky as those numbers would indicate.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 01:57 PM
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-4-slideshow/52847525-2af5-4378-8d48-65def75ff3ae#start)
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10666--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10543--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10661--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10697--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10747--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10736--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
--houstontexans.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/photo-gallery/Houston-Texans-Training-Camp-Day-4-slideshow/52847525-2af5-4378-8d48-65def75ff3ae#start)

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10427--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10537--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10399--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10620--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10462--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/07-July/temp_BB10396--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

Rey
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Are those practice pants new? I never really noticed them before, but for practice uniforms those are nice...

jahunter221
07-29-2013, 02:15 PM
We officially signed Joe mays

jahunter221
07-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Joe Mays worked out after morning practice and was signed. Texans need ILB depth.
12:00pm - 29 Jul 13

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Montgomery is still sidelined with a high-ankle sprain.
TexansChick reports that this report is wrong, that no one characterized it as a high ankle sprain.... just ankle sprain.

msbbc833
07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
We officially signed Joe mays

Excellent news!!

76Texan
07-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Thank you all for each and every bit of news.
Keep up the good work.
Many reps.

:clap::clap::clap:

76Texan
07-29-2013, 02:32 PM
TexansChick reports that this report is wrong, that no one characterized it as a high ankle sprain.... just ankle sprain.

We'll just have to wait and see.
Kubiak agreed that it was an ankle sprain, but indicate that he could be back in a few days. I think I'd read that as "many days", but hopefully, not "many weeks".

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 03:05 PM
With Mays signed by the Texans, I guess they can thank yet another Sharpton injury for helping them actually upgrade their defense.
"It was eye opening going against Duane Brown ..." Willie Jefferson says about getting snaps w/1s today. #Texans

"Probably the toughest thing this go around is he went through the offseason with no problem at all" Kubiak on Sharpton. #Texans

Kubiak indicated having Cushing on the field fully would have made ILB depth a different story. #Texans

Kubiak has quick powwow with Rick Smith before talking. First question is about signing Joe Mays, Kubiak says they're working on it. #Texans

Heading into special teams practice. Will be a quick one, only about 30 minutes. #Texans

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Texans signed ILB Joe Mays
Orhian Johnson, a 6'3" Safety (Ohio State) has been moved off of the Active/Non-Football Injury List and onto the active roster for

"Boy has he been a nice find. He’s doing a lot. He’s playing left guard, left tackle & everywhere.” Kubiak on OL David Quessenberry. #Texans

Kubiak said that Mercilus has a slight hamstring strain. #texanstalk #texans

Joe Mayes should be slotted behind Tim Dobbins on the depth chart at MLB. #texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"I can honestly say they have higher standards here and they’re gonna hold everyone to it." -- Greg Jones on #Texans

Willie Jefferson has a large group of media folk around him. Said he looked up wide receivers growing up. That's what he played.

“He really doesn’t say too much to me, but he gives me that look sometimes when I do something wrong." Hopkins on Andre Johnson #TexansTalk

DeAndre Hopkins said he's been assigned to carry Andre Johnson's pads and has been carrying them off the field. #TexansTalk
PDS ‏@PatDStat
Jefferson is 6-5 and 233 lbs. Pass rush can be there, but don't think NFL teams would not be lining up to run at the 233 lbs. OLB.

Not knocking what Willie Jefferson is doing, but temper expectations. Still think his best bet in on the psqaud. #Texans

michaelm
07-29-2013, 03:13 PM

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/brownsvilleherald.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/e0/ee02f3aa-f6b3-11e2-91cc-0019bb30f31a/51f3b606b2724.image.jpg

His build is similar to Jason Taylor who was listed as 6'6" and 244lbs. Taylor was very productive from OLB at that size.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Where is Quess getting reps?

I have a huge concern if we lose OD or GG to injury, so good to hear about Griffin.

All over the line.

Sort of like they are seeing what he does best. But also filling in spots of little depth. If he can be a swing guy, that would be handy.

Porky
07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Joe Mayes should be slotted behind Tim Dobbins on the depth chart at MLB. #texans

I hope that's just to start out, maybe to not disrespect the current guys or something. Mays is a better ILB than Dobbins, flat out.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Contacted the author of the "high ankle sprain" article.

That is a mistake. The 610 on air personality was relying on a report he got from someone else which was wrong.

All that the team has said publicly is "ankle sprain" and "walking boot" and a few days.

I'm thinking the person originally passing on this information did not realize that the terms "ankle sprain" and "high ankle sprain" can mean very different things.

I did not hear anything serious. I saw Montgomery walk on it right after it happened. And then he played some more later that practice. FWIW.

Wolf6151
07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Joe Mays worked out after morning practice and was signed. Texans need ILB depth.
12:00pm - 29 Jul 13

I know he plays the run well and blitz's the QB well, but does anyone know if Mays is any good in pass coverage of RB's and TE's? Is he strictly a 2 down ILB or can he be a 3 down ILB? What's he bring to the table that Dobbins doesn't?

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Willie Jefferson is the candidate for the guy Kubiak is using to push everybody else.

Looks good in drills. Makes some plays on defense.

Hard to make a comparison to anyone because he looks more like a basketball player.

Kubiak this morning: “Willie’s gone from fifth-team to first-team in about a month-and-a-half. So Willie’s come a long way. I just told the team what an opportunity for him. He’s got the length. He’s got the ability. He’s got two coaches that do wonders with linebackers, so we’ll see what happens.”

He was asked specifically about Willie. Kubiak declined to pick out any other young players when asked to spotlight a few.

DX-TEX
07-29-2013, 03:27 PM
I know he plays the run well and blitz's the QB well, but does anyone know if Mays is any good in pass coverage of RB's and TE's? Is he strictly a 2 down ILB or can he be a 3 down ILB? What's he bring to the table that Dobbins doesn't?

Broncos and Eagles fans say he is a liability in pass coverage. Hell of a thumper against the run and blitzing though.

Playoffs
07-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Contacted the author of the "high ankle sprain" article.

That is a mistake. The 610 on air personality was relying on a report he got from someone else which was wrong.

All that the team has said publicly is "ankle sprain" and "walking boot" and a few days.

I'm thinking the person originally passing on this information did not realize that the terms "ankle sprain" and "high ankle sprain" can mean very different things.

I did not hear anything serious. I saw Montgomery walk on it right after it happened. And then he played some more later that practice. FWIW.Thanks, Steph.

I know he plays the run well and blitz's the QB well, but does anyone know if Mays is any good in pass coverage of RB's and TE's? Is he strictly a 2 down ILB or can he be a 3 down ILB? What's he bring to the table that Dobbins doesn't?Strictly 2 down LB.

Wolf6151
07-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Broncos and Eagles fans say he is a liability in pass coverage. Hell of a thumper against the run and blitzing though.

That's what I was afraid of. I know we need some added depth at ILB but I don't see Mays bringing anything to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide.

Porky
07-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Strictly 2 down LB.

What down was that when Schaub met Mr. Mays up close and personal?

If he can blitz (which is obvious), he could possibly be in on some 3rd down packages here and there, although I would think the bulk of those duties would go to Cushing.

Rey
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I know we need some added depth at ILB but I don't see Mays bringing anything to the team that Dobbins doesn't already provide.

I'm not sure if that is a complaint or not, but is having two dobbins as depth a bad thing?

That said, I do think he's a bit more athletic than Dobbins is.

Heath Shuler
07-29-2013, 03:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQXgFnkCUAAeBW3.jpg:large

"putting on the foil"

http://youtu.be/uDBvzfm_qrk

michaelm
07-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Strictly 2 down LB.

Anyone who plays that position will be a two down player, so I don't consider that to be a limitation, TBH.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure if that is a complaint or not, but is having two dobbins as depth a bad thing?

That said, I do think he's a bit more athletic than Dobbins is.

I think he's a significant upgrade over Dobbins and Sharpton.

And in obvious passing situations, he'll come off the field and Swearinger or Manning will move up to that spot to provide coverage.

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Willie Jefferson is the candidate for the guy Kubiak is using to push everybody else.

Looks good in drills. Makes some plays on defense.

Hard to make a comparison to anyone because he looks more like a basketball player.

Kubiak this morning: “Willie’s gone from fifth-team to first-team in about a month-and-a-half. So Willie’s come a long way. I just told the team what an opportunity for him. He’s got the length. He’s got the ability. He’s got two coaches that do wonders with linebackers, so we’ll see what happens.”

He was asked specifically about Willie. Kubiak declined to pick out any other young players when asked to spotlight a few.

Willie was a two sport star out of Beaumont Ozen . I watched him play my son's senior year in a scrimmage . :photos:

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 03:43 PM
More clarification from Twitter on Sam Montgomery ankle report.

At camp, you don't get all the audio/transcripts because interviews being held all over the place all at the same time.

Sam told someone directly at SR610 that "...just got a mild high ankle sprain, not really that serious..."

So either 1. Yes, he has a high ankle sprain 2. He may be mistaken about it being a high ankle sprain. /Dr Sam.

It being a high ankle sprain would not be incompatible with Kubiak saying ankle sprain.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 03:47 PM

And in obvious passing situations, he'll come off the field and Swearinger or Manning will move up to that spot to provide coverage.

What I think is good is that they signed him now. And didn't wait for camp to play out.

Hard when they sign guys late in camp to have them compete right away.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2013, 03:52 PM
What I think is good is that they signed him now. And didn't wait for camp to play out.

Hard when they sign guys late in camp to have them compete right away.

This is the sort of move that I was hoping would happen right after the draft when we knew we weren't going to be getting some young stud to fit in there beside Cush. I expected us to sign SOMEONE besides Dobbins to provide some competition for that spot prior to training camp and I was just afraid we were going to end up with Bradie James and Barrett Ruud again.

gary
07-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Great time at Houston Texan's practice. 5 minutes on field one so we could see and 45 minutes on field 2 so we could not see. Jeff Maehl with a nice one handed catch and Hopkins looked sharp too.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Great time at Houston Texan's practice. 5 minutes on field one so we could see and 45 minutes on field 2 so we could not see. Jeff Maehl with a nice one handed catch and Hopkins looked sharp too.

Dang it, Gary. Sorry I missed you.

I spent most of my time between fields 2 and 3 to watch Sharpton/Reed do rehab stuff, see how they were moving.

Maehl could be a sneaky guy to make the roster. Nice hands, knows playbook.

I'm not sure that Hopkins/Schaub are dialed in quite yet, but love watching him do work.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
What down was that when Schaub met Mr. Mays up close and personal?

If he can blitz (which is obvious), he could possibly be in on some 3rd down packages here and there, although I would think the bulk of those duties would go to Cushing.

Well, Wade doesn't use Sharpton or Dobbins to rush the QB & that may be for good reason. With Mays next to Cushing, maybe he'll mix it up, sending Cushing some times, then sending Mays sometimes.

That would allow Cushing to sneak back into a zone, which none of our other LBs do worth a damn.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Willie was a two sport star out of Beaumont Ozen . I watched him play my son's senior year in a scrimmage . :photos:

Representing the Golden Triangle, Whut-Whuuuut!!! :wannabeegangsigns:

PapaL
07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Everything I've read on Maya says he's a great blitzer, brings the hammer but doesn't wrap up. Looks for the kill shot too much.

Texans_Chick
07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
This is the sort of move that I was hoping would happen right after the draft when we knew we weren't going to be getting some young stud to fit in there beside Cush. I expected us to sign SOMEONE besides Dobbins to provide some competition for that spot prior to training camp and I was just afraid we were going to end up with Bradie James and Barrett Ruud again.

Not sure that there were any ideal guys out there. Interesting that Mays became available when he did. The Broncos did him a favor.

PFF has some interesting numbers on him. Last year, had numbers about the same as Bradie James but far fewer games to look at because of his season ending injury--so could be a little skewed. (Tied for 30th ILB).

His 2011 PFF numbers were better. For a whole season, he had a positive score, 17th overall.

Young player.

Heath Shuler
07-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Gary Kubiak to me on Arian Foster's return from a strained calf/PUP: "I'm hoping midweek something like that that he is back on the field."

@JosinaAnderson

76Texan
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM

I read that Mays lost his starting gig after a bad game against the Pats, so ... feel free to fill in the blanks. :)

Rey
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
I would not keep sharpton. Roster spots are too valuable and he's too fragile.

thunderkyss
07-29-2013, 05:49 PM
I would not keep sharpton. Roster spots are too valuable and he's too fragile.

Do you have enough ILBs now to cut him?

Number19
07-29-2013, 05:49 PM
He looks "thicker" than 6'5" 233lbs..... that's good. Definitely not as lanky as those numbers would indicate.A while back, I think during OTA's, he said he was up to 240 lbs and his goal was 250 lbs. When are their "official" weights taken?

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I read that Mays lost his starting gig after a bad game against the Pats, so ... feel free to fill in the blanks. :)

That was an awfully strange game. The Pats won that game 32 - 21. Brady had the highest pass completion percentage of any game last year........ 23 of 31 for ~75%..........with the lowest total yards for a game 223.

The Forehead, on the other hand, completed 31 or 44 for 70%........with total passing yards of 337.

Rey
07-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Do you have enough ILBs now to cut him?

I'd rather have someone else and give them a shot to stay healthy. Even if we have to carry one of the udfa guys. I just don't trust sharpton to stay healthy.