PDA

View Full Version : NFLN: 32 in 32: Houston Texans must find a way to next level

Heath Shuler
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
32 in 32: Houston Texans must find a way to next level

The Texans are a perennial playoff team, but are they starting to go stale? Our "32 in 32 "series continues

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL

32 in 32: Houston Texans must find a way to next level

"NFL Total Access" has launched its "32 in 32" series, breaking down the biggest subplots of every NFL team as the 2013 season approaches. Around The League will follow along and offer our own take. Up next: The Houston Texans.

We'll see how much Texans info they squeeze in between tebow mania tonite @6:00

Thorn
06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
This reminds me I haven't watched NFLN since the Texans bowed out of the playoffs. I don't seemed to have missed it much.

the wonger need food
06-12-2013, 03:15 PM
"The Texans are a perennial playoff team, but are they starting to go stale?"

Stale??? After their first two division titles and only 10 years in the NFL?

If anything is becoming "stale" it's the NFL Network which is more like TMZ than an informative source for information. Take away Tebow, Rex Ryan, T.O., Chad Johnson and the Patriots and the NFLN seizes to exist.

EllisUnit
06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
How in the hell are the texans getting stale ? We went 12-4 last season, are 2 time division champs. And feel we have improved our roster greatly since last season. WTF are these guys talking about ?

76Texan
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Can anybody give me the meaning of perennial please? :swatter:

:smiliepalm:

The Pencil Neck
06-12-2013, 04:39 PM

Yeah. I didn't realize that making it into the playoffs twice after never having made the playoffs before makes you a perennial playoff team.

Are the Bengals a perennial playoff team, too?

:mariopalm:

thunderkyss
06-12-2013, 05:33 PM
The Jets got to the AFC Championship 2 years in a row, then faded into a Barnum & Bailey rip off.

The 49ers have been to the AFC Championship game the last two seasons, we'll see where they go next year.

The Ravens won the Super Bowl last year. They were in the AFC Championship game in 2012 & 2011. They've won their division 2 of the last 4 years & been to the play offs four of the last 5 years.

I'm not telling you guys anything new, but we're a long way from where we want to be. We're the Bengals. Whatever you think about the Bengals, that's pretty much what we are.

infantrycak
06-12-2013, 05:48 PM
We're the Bengals. Whatever you think about the Bengals, that's pretty much what we are.

We got in as 3rd in the division? We lost both our 1st games?

Heath Shuler
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM

maybe he meant the Texans were pretty flowers for a couple of yearsidonno:

Double Barrel
06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
We're the Bengals. Whatever you think about the Bengals, that's pretty much what we are.

nah, the Texans actually win some playoff games....against the Bengals, of course.

thunderkyss
06-12-2013, 06:59 PM
We got in as 3rd in the division? We lost both our 1st games?

I'm just the messenger.

nah, the Texans actually win some playoff games....against the Bengals, of course.

Well there's that, & a slew of ProBowlers on our roster. But I think about that Jets team that had it all & when you see how far they fell as fast as they fell.

We may very well have seen the best this current configuration can deliver.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to temper my expectations.

EllisUnit
06-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm just the messenger.

Well there's that, & a slew of ProBowlers on our roster. But I think about that Jets team that had it all & when you see how far they fell as fast as they fell.

I dont buy that, i believe that this seasons roster is just as if not more talented than last seasons roster, head coach may be the only thing that can stop this team at this point IMO. Well and possibly our QB.

drs23
06-12-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm just the messenger.

Bailiff, whack his... :D

I dunno TK. I'm forever the optimist when there's reason to warrant it. I think the training wheels are off and the FO has been drafting well. I see the Texans on the upswing. I can't wait to see what this draft class delivers and even more so next season.

You know...the glasses and all.

drs23
06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Edit: delete

thunderkyss
06-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Bailiff, whack his... :D

Hey, hey... no need for all that.

I dunno TK. I'm forever the optimist when there's reason to warrant it. I think the training wheels are off and the FO has been drafting well. I see the Texans on the upswing. I can't wait to see what this draft class delivers and even more so next season.

You know...the glasses and all.

Well that's the thing, the glasses.

Y'know, I'm reading all the OTA/minicamp press & it's all roses. Brooks is making the most of his situation (both of them), Hopkins appears to be all that & a bag of chips, Keenum is on automatic now...... etc..etc.. blah, blah, blah.

I've been spending time on the Colts board, the Ravens board, the Pats board & guess what? Hunky dory, blue skies, & birds singing show tunes.

This is what we do.

I don't want to turn this into a woulda coulda shoulda.... but we never see what's coming. If it's not one thing, it's another. We finally get a QB, but we can't run the ball. We finally get to running the ball, but our defense falls apart. We finally get a defense & our QB gets knocked out. We get our QB back & we're missing a RT & a MLB.....

Threading water. Every other teams' back up to the back up goes off in the play-offs. Ours fall asleep.

eh...... I think I'm going through depression or something.

Playoffs
06-12-2013, 11:41 PM
32 in 32: Houston Texans must find a way to next level (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211538/article/32-in-32-houston-texans-must-find-a-way-to-next-level)

1. There's a staleness in the air around the Texans right now. Maybe it's the glass ceiling that seems to be fixed in place over their heads. The Texans have established themselves as a perennial playoff team, and nine Pro Bowl selections last season shows that talent is in the building. But is there enough here to make the leap over the class of the AFC? Better health and some raised performances can ensure that.

2. Matt Schaub, welcome to the hot seat. Schaub took much of the blame for the Texans' late-season slide, and with good reason. He threw just three touchdown passes in Houston's last six games as the team went from 11-1 to the No. 3 seed in the AFC and eventually lost to the New England Patriots in the divisional playoffs. At 32, Schaub should be in the prime of his career. He is good enough to be a part of a Super Bowl team. He just shouldn't be expected to lead the way. That's a tricky reality in today's NFL.

3. Using their first pick in April's draft to bring in wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins was a no-brainer. The Texans have failed for years to find an effective complement to Andre Johnson, but Hopkins is a playmaker with great intangibles. Don't be surprised if he emerges as an instant contributor.

4. Hopkins' presence should help Houston become more imaginative on offense. As I re-watched the Texans' 41-28 divisional playoff loss to the Patriots, I was struck by how little Houston went downfield in its passing attack. Dink-and-dunk reigned supreme even as the game started to get away from the Texans. By the time Schaub finally chucked one deep for a 25-yard touchdown to DeVier Posey, the matter already was settled.

5. Brian Cushing's return cannot be underestimated. The Texans' defense never fully recovered after Cushing tore his anterior cruciate ligament during a Week 5 win over the New York Jets. Houston's lack of depth at inside linebacker was exposed when Cushing went down, and the team didn't invest in the position through the draft or free agency. Cushing needs to stay on the field.

6. We know J.J. Watt won NFL Defensive Player Of The Year honors, but I still don't think he got enough credit for one of the best seasons ever in 2012. In just his second NFL season, Watt finished with 20.5 sacks, 16 tipped passes, four forced fumbles and 22 tackles for a loss. Like Lawrence Taylor before him, Watt has that rare ability to control a game from the defensive side of the ball. If the rest of his teammates can push things a bit further, it's Watt who can put them over the top.

TheMatrix31
06-13-2013, 04:42 AM
"Stale", lmfao. Your ****ing MOTHERS are stale.

aussie_texan
06-13-2013, 05:59 AM
i love this stuff let them underestimate us.... and then BAM !!!! we going to rock the socks of them this year i can feel it!

EllisUnit
06-13-2013, 07:13 AM

Y'know, I'm reading all the OTA/minicamp press & it's all roses. Brooks is making the most of his situation (both of them), Hopkins appears to be all that & a bag of chips, Keenum is on automatic now...... etc..etc.. blah, blah, blah.

I've been spending time on the Colts board, the Ravens board, the Pats board & guess what? Hunky dory, blue skies, & birds singing show tunes.

This is what we do.

I don't want to turn this into a woulda coulda shoulda.... but we never see what's coming. If it's not one thing, it's another. We finally get a QB, but we can't run the ball. We finally get to running the ball, but our defense falls apart. We finally get a defense & our QB gets knocked out. We get our QB back & we're missing a RT & a MLB.....

Threading water. Every other teams' back up to the back up goes off in the play-offs. Ours fall asleep.

How often do you hear a parent of a child so that they're own kid is ugly ??? They say this is the cutest baby and you know its BS but u smile and nod your head.

We are ahead of all those teams mentioned. Just compare roster/impact players along with additions to the roster VIA FA/Draft.

ObsiWan
06-13-2013, 07:14 AM

: present at all seasons of the year
: persisting for several years usually with new herbaceous (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/herbaceous) growth from a perennating (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perennate) part <perennial asters>

a : persistent (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/persistent), enduring (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enduring) <perennial favorites>
b : continuing without interruption : constant (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/constant), perpetual (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perpetual) <the perennial quest for certainty> <a perennial student>
c : regularly repeated or renewed : recurrent (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recurrent) <death is a perennial literary theme>

persisting for several years...
that's what it took for the Ravens to finally get a ring for Flacco & company...
And it took repeated trips to the playoffs for Peyton to finally get a ring too.
And how many playoff trips before Cowher finally got a ring...? Fifteen wasn't it?
I'll take playoff wins year after year after year finally culminating in a couple or three Lombardi trophies.

Heath Shuler
06-13-2013, 07:59 AM
videos:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap2000000211771/32-in-32-Houston-Texans

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap2000000211569/Johnson-We-need-to-be-more-consistent

Playoffs
06-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Can anybody give me the meaning of perennial please?

1: present at all seasons of the year
2: persisting for several years usually with new herbaceous growth from a perennating part <perennial asters>

3. c : regularly repeated or renewed : recurrent <death is a perennial literary theme>

As opposed to perineal, which would be your taint (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Taint). :shades:

MightyTExan
06-13-2013, 11:32 AM
As opposed to perineal, which would be your taint (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Taint). :shades:

http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/gifs/Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

Heath Shuler
06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
NFLN interview w Danieal Manning:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000211851/Inside-the-Texans-with-Danieal-Manning

ObsiWan
06-13-2013, 02:10 PM

where's the EWWWWW! smiley?
:)

HOU-TEX
06-13-2013, 02:24 PM
They're talking heads who must find ways to me entertaining. I like NFLN for the most part. I haven't watched as much compared to years past, but they are my news of choice. I'd rather pee in my own mouth than watch/listen to espn

All that said, we did not play like ourselves the final quarter of the season or in the playoffs. Sure, we beat the Bengals but only score one TD. In a sense, we deserve a little criticism imo.

eriadoc
06-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Easy question for you - Do you feel better about the Texans right now, on June 13, than you did about the Texans last year on June 13? I do. I had serious reservations about the changes in the team last year and frankly, wasn't all that surprised by the late season meltdown. They had a weak OL, weak LB corps, and I wasn't sold on the DL aside from Watt.

This year, I feel a lot better about Hopkins than I did about Mercilus. I feel a lot better about Swearinger than I do even about Reed, to be honest. I did not like the Posey pick at all last year, and was merely hopeful about guys like Martin and Jean. Brooks, Jones, and Crick are all coming along like 2nd year players ought to, and I feel better about the OL prospects this year than I did about Butler, Newton, and Caldwell.

That's not to say I don't have my concerns about the team going forward, but I feel like this is the best draft they've had since '09, and maybe since '06. Hopkins, Swearinger, and Montgomery could all end up showing that they could have been worthy of a first round pick.

I think they did a piss poor job of replacing/planning for lost talent last year. This year, I feel like they handled it very well (except the Quin move, which I hate).

76Texan
06-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Eriadoc,
It's easy to say in restropect.

With a healthy Cushing, JJo, and Brooks Reed, the D would have looked different.
A healthy Newton and Caldwell would have helped, too.

76Texan
06-13-2013, 06:05 PM

:voodoo:

Texans_Chick
06-13-2013, 06:29 PM

This is what we do.

Hello. Football. Just how it is.

You need the basic ingredients to win. There's some teams that don't have any chance at all.

Then you need some luck and health at the right time. That is what happened to the Ravens. Didn't happen for the Texans and Patriots.

eriadoc
06-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Eriadoc,
It's easy to say in restropect.

With a healthy Cushing, JJo, and Brooks Reed, the D would have looked different.
A healthy Newton and Caldwell would have helped, too.

That was the point of my post. I'm not using retrospect. But here - this is a post I made on March 26, 2012.

The team was a QB and maybe a WR away from being serious Super Bowl contenders this past season. They were a Jacoby Jones away from potentially moving on to the AFC Championship game even without that QB and WR (full strength AJ). Since then, the only personnel change to the team has been a net loss of players.

1.) Mario - let me get this out of the way first. I'm a big fan of Mario I was one of the few people cheering when they announced the night before the draft they were taking him. The guy caught a ton of unjustified flack while he was here and played well when he was healthy. WHEN HE WAS HEALTHY is why I'm perfectly OK with him moving on. You don't pay a guy 96mil for missing games every season and/or ineffectively playing through injury. I think we all suspected Mario would be gone, and I think the FO made the only choice they should have to maintain long term viability. Thank you Texans for not mortgaging the future on Mario.

2.) Schaub has missed significant time 3 of the 5 seasons he's been a Texan. TJ Yates is a possible replacement someday, but we all saw that he's not quite there yet. Just wanted to point out that they're still potentially a QB away from being a serious SB contender.

3.) WR - Jacoby sucks. I've been saying it for a long time, and my hatred for him as a player (not person) is pretty far from objective after the playoff game. He's still here. AJ is great WHEN HE'S HEALTHY. He's missed more games in the past 5 years than Matt Schaub. Maybe people don't realize or want to accept that; I don't know.

4.) Myers - glad he was re-signed, but I'm not buying the hype that's been put out there about him. He's had one really bad year, one really good year, and the rest has been solid. You didn't fire him after his really bad year, so don't blow smoke up my ass about his really good year. Make him do it again. You made Foster do it a second time, after all.

5.) Brisiel - not to be confused with a HOF guard or anything, but he's consistently beaten Caldwell, even coming back from a bad leg, twice. He's just a flat out better player than Caldwell. So saying they have his replacement on the roster is pretty disingenuous.

6.) Winston - occasional liability in pass protection, but if Butler is better, why didn't he beat out Winston for the job? Either he's not as good or Kubiak wasn't playing the better player. You decide which of those options you like best, I suppose. I hope he gets better than Winston this season, at any rate.

7.) Ryans - Everyone knew it was going to take 2 years to come back from that injury. He started playing his best football toward the end of last year, so they traded him away.

8.) Vickers, Allen, Dreessen, etc. - All of these guys filled roles that kept other players off the field. Casey didn't supplant Vickers as a blocker or Dreessen as a TE. Graham didn't supplant Dreessen as a TE. KJax couldn't keep Allen off the field. Brandon Harris never saw the field, despite being a 2nd round pick. McManis and his random contemporaries couldn't break through either. So again, either these players were the best options to help the team win, or the coaches were making bad decisions.

Any of these moves can be rationalized. Taken as a whole, however, they weaken the team. They may not weaken the business side of things, but that's not going to help the W-L column unless they use that money to bring real replacements in. There's still a draft left to go and they'll undoubtedly get a couple impact players. Let's hope it's enough. I have hope for Sharpton and Kareem Jackson, so that's a positive. Brooks Reed is going to be a very good player. But like I said above, the moves when taken as a whole are hard to rationalize away.

Also, while I have a ton of faith in Wade Phillips to put a top notch defense out there no matter what, Smithiak has earned no such trust from me. They've had way too many WTF moments in personnel for me to blindly trust that they know the best course of action.

All I'm saying is that I feel better this year, before the season, than I did last year before the season.

b0ng
06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Most criticism levied against the Texans this offseason is centered around Andre's age and Matt Schaub's timidness. Fair criticisms in their own right, but it completely ignores the defense, and what I think will be a unit that will dominate for a good portion of their schedule.

I believe the Texans (And I think this is an agreed upon opinion by the majority of people who follow football) will get a 3rd playoff berth in a row. I think determining how well they will do after that is going to be a question of health and momentum, and cannot truly be determined in the summer.

thunderkyss
06-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Most criticism levied against the Texans this offseason is centered around Andre's age and Matt Schaub's timidness. Fair criticisms in their own right, but it completely ignores the defense, and what I think will be a unit that will dominate for a good portion of their schedule.

I believe the Texans (And I think this is an agreed upon opinion by the majority of people who follow football) will get a 3rd playoff berth in a row. I think determining how well they will do after that is going to be a question of health and momentum, and cannot truly be determined in the summer.

We're going to have to find a bona-fide pass rusher, in addition to Jj Watt if we're going to have the kind of defense that will get this team to the play-offs.

Could happen, we've got some guys on this team that will give us a real shot... fingers crossed.

BullBlitz
06-14-2013, 06:59 PM
"Stale", lmfao. Your ****ing MOTHERS are stale.

Insightful.

EllisUnit
06-14-2013, 07:41 PM
That was the point of my post. I'm not using retrospect. But here - this is a post I made on March 26, 2012.

All I'm saying is that I feel better this year, before the season, than I did last year before the season.

That list makes me laugh, we had JJ last season, and what did mario do ? He put Vickers and Allen on the list ? What a joke ? And myers is one of the best Centers in the NFL.