PDA

View Full Version : DomDavis long-term contract $22 milion

ArlingtonTexan
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Per a news update from ESPN790 in Houston, the Texans have expressed interest to DomDavis in a long-term contract extension. No details as to amounts and Delotte(sp) inferred that it is not a guarantee that the deal will be done before the start of training camp.

8/6 upate per ESPNradio

$22 million w/8 million in guarantees through 2009.

Nawzer
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Atleast the Texans made a move toward signing him long term even if it's just a gesture.

YodAa
06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Score looks like I'll finally have a jersey thats in use for more than 2 seasons!

ArlingtonTexan
06-28-2005, 04:05 PM
minor update...the extension is supposed to be for 4 or 5 years.

Reddevil63
06-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Man, the people on here that dont think 1000 rushing yards and 600 receiving yards are enough from a back are gonna be upset :crying:

texasguy346
06-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Definately good news if we can get him signed to an extension. Hopefully we'll get it done before the season gets underway.

TEXANS84
06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Should we wait for confirmation from TexansneedRBin05?

Blake
06-28-2005, 05:00 PM
This is the perfect time to sign him to a long term deal. I dont want him busting out with a 1300 yard ground, 500 yard recieving year, and have to pay him for it.

Of course there is TO, and ST players, who want a new contract after one year...

texasguy346
06-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Well that is the reason for the delay isn't it? I thought CC wanted to check with him first before submitting the contract to DD's agent. :rolleyes:

Vinny
06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm happy for DD if he can get a nice bonus and some security. He has earned it.

Big B Texan Fan
06-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I think he's @ football practice.

infantrycak
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Hey Vinny, can you go ahead and set him up for TexansNeedRBin10?

chuckm
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
This is the perfect time to sign him to a long term deal. I dont want him busting out with a 1300 yard ground, 500 yard recieving year, and have to pay him for it.

Of course there is TO, and ST players, who want a new contract after one year...

so do the Texans sign him to a medium-priced long-term deal now and we hold our breath next off season if he has a huge year or not sign him long term and be glad when he's hurt for 1/4 of the year and fumbles 4 times in the first 2 games ...

keyfro
06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
good news...glad for DD...probably like a 4-5yr deal worth around 38 million...not like the portis or tomlinson 60 million but very nice chuck of change none the less

infantrycak
06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
good news...glad for DD...probably like a 4-5yr deal worth around 38 million...not like the portis or tomlinson 60 million but very nice chuck of change none the less

I'll take the under on that bet.

so do the Texans sign him to a medium-priced long-term deal now and we hold our breath next off season if he has a huge year or not sign him long term and be glad when he's hurt for 1/4 of the year and fumbles 4 times in the first 2 games ...

No, you sign him now for a good but not elite contract and then when he has a solid or even break-out season you congratulate the management for being wise enough to put a bird in his hand now rather than five birds later.

Texan Spain
06-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought that the Texans had problems whit the salary cap, but I'll ask, with that money to DD, are going to came buckups or starters¿¿??

Vinny
06-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought that the Texans had problems whit the salary cap, but I'll ask, with that money to DD, are going to came buckups or starters¿¿??
Why would you say that? We don't have any cap issues.

Big B Texan Fan
06-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Why would you say that? We don't have any cap issues.
He did not say we had cap issues. He said he thought we had cap issues. Big difference. Eezz up.

Vinny
06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok, after reflection as to my point-blank style I'll fix my post. Hopefully this one will come off better...
LOL! Why would you say that? :drool: We don't have any cap issues. :bguitar:

ledzeppelin229
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Ok, after reflection as to my point-blank style I'll fix my post. Hopefully this one will come off better...

This place is going crazy...

Did you just now lowercase the A in "Admin" for added effect or was that already done?

Vinny
06-28-2005, 07:13 PM
I accidentally cleared my title in the options screen and retyped it earlier today. Didn't even notice it till you brought it up. What would the "added effect" be?

dalemurphy
No way do we sign him to a contract of more than $3 million a year, or so. If it's restructured this year, it'll be something like 4 years for $10 million with a $4 million dollar signing bonus. He only makes $700,000 now and won't make much more than that next year. A deal in the neighborhood of $10 million would be too much to pass up for a RB 2 years away from free agency... For precedent, look at what Travis Henry was signed to three years ago.

vtech9
well, if it is true and DD gets a long-term extension, TexansneedRBin05 essentially gets his wish. I mean if DD gets the deal, then the Texans got their RB in '05. Technically, it would just be an extension, but they still got their man. Be happy TexansneedRBin05, you got your wish...just not the RB you were hoping for. lol:

ledzeppelin229
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I accidentally cleared my title in the options screen and retyped it earlier today. Didn't even notice it till you brought it up. What would the "added effect" be?

Having the title of "admin" would seem less blunt than "Administrator"? I didn't notice though until the wacky post so that's the main reason I asked.

Vinny
06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll probably change it to "bean cooker" later so it matches up with my profile.

Lucky
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
If DD signs the extension, he'll probably ask for TexansNeedGM. :)

Big B Texan Fan
06-28-2005, 08:40 PM

That's much better. Thanx.
Those smilies sure are magical huh.

F-minus67
06-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Cosidering how much he has done for so "little" money, he deserves a good deal.

wags
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm happy for DD if he can get a nice bonus and some security. He has earned it.

So are you comfortable with him as the feature back now and five years down the road?

Vinny
06-28-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm not sold on him as a long term feature back, but you don't have to be a great back to earn respect from the fan base. He works hard, is a good guy, and doesn't make excuses. Players don't have to be bad or great....there is a middle ground somewhere you know.

jr0ck
06-28-2005, 09:55 PM
If DD signs the extension, he'll probably ask for TexansNeedGM.

i think thats giving 'ol (errr...young) TexansNeedRBin05 a little to much credit...i don't think he has that broad of perspective, if you will :rolleyes:

...Players don't have to be bad or great....there is a middle ground somewhere you know.

great post vin, i just wish that viewpoint was a requirement to register for this board :cool:

TexansNeedRBin05
06-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Um whatever yall say he will endup hurt us in cap or getting cut so I am not worried. If cant get a RB this year can I reserve TexansneedRBin06?

infantrycak
06-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Um whatever yall say he will endup hurt us in cap or getting cut so I am not worried. If cant get a RB this year can I reserve TexansneedRBin06?

FYI--your location is misspelled unless Texas added a new city.

clandestin
06-29-2005, 03:02 AM
I've come to the conclusion that this time of year is the hardcore football fan's equivalent to PMS.

:goodbad:

ccdude730
06-29-2005, 04:39 AM
FYI--your location is misspelled unless Texas added a new city.

OUCH that was harsh...poor kid cant even spell his own city and is always getting picked on around here.

how i really feel: :highfive:
:heh:...but dont pick on me because i dont capitalize and punctuate properly all the time :)

maybe the offseason is what kills all the other message boards? the rams just suspended their message boards

El Tejano
06-29-2005, 07:55 AM
I just like the gesture on behalf of our organization. DD has made a case for himself to get an extension, and since we brought in another back from the draft, it should say alot to DD that the Texans want him to be the man.

infantrycak
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
OUCH that was harsh...poor kid cant even spell his own city and is always getting picked on around here.

Well that one wasn't actually meant to be harsh. I will poke fun at people for not knowing how to spell the names of guys they say are clearly superior to the Texans' players (I am pretty sure DD rushed for more yards on his first carry than Stanley and Herny have combined for in the league), but you have to figure he knows how to spell his own city and that was just a typo.

ArlingtonTexan
06-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I've come to the conclusion that this time of year is the hardcore football fan's equivalent to PMS.

:goodbad:

Just think instead of three or four days, its three or four weeks :hairpull:

JustBonee
06-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Just think instead of three or four days, its three or four weeks :hairpull:
You guys, and your fear/fascination of PMS .. :rofl:

LOL! Why would you say that? :drool: We don't have any cap issues.:bguitar: Thanks for the laugh V ....

Vinny
06-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the laugh V ....You know, I said the EXACT same thing in the re-post (didn't change anything), but I put in what I consider feminine/young guy style posting features as sarcasm. I guess its ok if I post like a woman, but if I leave off the draperies and frill - I'm mean. I know you got a kick out of it. :cool:

JustBonee
06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
You know, I said the EXACT same thing in the re-post (didn't change anything), but I put in what I consider feminine/young guy style posting features as sarcasm. I guess its ok if I post like a woman, but if I leave off the draperies and frill - I'm mean. I know you got a kick out of it. :cool:
I got a kick out of it because it was sooooooo un-Vinny. .. hehe.. Anyone who has followed you over the years knows your style and what is behind your words. Newbies will learn. :thumbup

Chance_C
06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
I got a kick out of it because it was sooooooo un-Vinny. .. hehe.. Anyone who has followed you over the years knows your style and what is behind your words. Newbies will learn.

Agreed. I got a good chuckle also. I think it is only good business to try to wrap DD up now. I'm with Vinny about the skepticism of annointing him our feature back. But as a fan (with a small amount of common sense), I recognize his accomplishments, and I appreciate them. Keep up the good work "Double D."

Doom Capers
06-29-2005, 11:10 AM
I hope we do resign DD for a long term contract. I believe if he plays every game this year, he will be in the pro-bowl. In the red zone, DD is almost an automatic TD. He has sure hands and bounce off of defenders. I believe in the Miami game in 03 they called him the human bowling ball. If DD can stay healthy, this will be his year.

TopTexanFan16
06-29-2005, 11:18 AM
I hope we do resign DD for a long term contract. I believe if he plays every game this year, he will be in the pro-bowl. In the red zone, DD is almost an automatic TD. He has sure hands and bounce off of defenders. I believe in the Miami game in 03 they called him the human bowling ball. If DD can stay healthy, this will be his year.

did DD even play in that game i thought mack was still our RB cause that was the first game of the season.....anyone know?

06-29-2005, 01:39 PM
DD had a couple of snaps... the most memorable run of his is when he absolutely ran over Zach Thomas for a 15 yard gain. I knew he'd be special after watching that.

I am all for signing him long term.

The Preacher
06-29-2005, 02:12 PM
I remember in preseason last year how I was thinking he was simply going to be incredible. He probably had the worst start a back could have with the fumbles and then the minor injuries. By week 10 though he was regaining that form where it took more than one guy to bring him down, and he just battled every time he got the ball. Until he stays healthy a couple of years in a row I would hesitate to give him a huge contract. Definitely reward him now while the cap space is there but make the contract big on incentives. :twocents:

infantrycak
06-29-2005, 02:32 PM
did DD even play in that game i thought mack was still our RB cause that was the first game of the season.....anyone know?

Davis had 6 carries for 36 yards. Busted one off for 15 running over Zach Thomas and another guy on the way and averaged 4.0 ypc for the other carries. Mack averaged 3.3 ypc that day--whoohoo for the big back theory.

TEXANS84
06-29-2005, 02:53 PM
His run of his career was against Jacksonville. Spinning out of a tackle and hurdling someone on the ground, he picked up an additional 20 yards.

You can still see that run on the Texans multimedia page: Jaguars/Texans NFL Films.

texan279
06-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Any of the details of the contract been released?

keyfro
06-29-2005, 07:35 PM
not yet because they haven't actually agreed to a contract...these are just discussions...a new deal probably won't be met til the texans know whether or not verba or boulware are coming to town...boulware i seriously doubt is coming...i see him going to cleveland to be the guy there...they seriously need an OLB for the 3-4 defense and we don't...verba is a good possibility but as many here will tell you he's not that much better than what we have...so if both go to different teams then davis will get his 4-5 year deal with the money he deserves for being our best surprise pick of all our drafts so far

awtysst
06-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I remember in preseason last year how I was thinking he was simply going to be incredible. He probably had the worst start a back could have with the fumbles and then the minor injuries. By week 10 though he was regaining that form where it took more than one guy to bring him down, and he just battled every time he got the ball. Until he stays healthy a couple of years in a row I would hesitate to give him a huge contract. Definitely reward him now while the cap space is there but make the contract big on incentives. :twocents:

This is the nfl though. There are no guaranteed contracts. I say give him a nice contract. If he doesnt live up to it/gets hurt, we can cut him.

Vinny
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
JUST reported on Houston sports radio (am 790)...

The Texans and DD have backed off negotiations and will re-visit them later at some point.

Take it fwiw.

texan279
06-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Seems a little odd to me... :confused:

Vinny
06-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Seems a little odd to me... :confused:Seems perfectly normal to me. Davis is in the last year of his rookie deal. If I had to guess, I'd say they met to see what Davis wanted long-term. I'd be willing to bet they were pretty far apart.

infantrycak
06-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately, the Lamont Jordan deal kind of futzes this situation up. Here is a guy who in 4 years hasn't had the total combined yardage or TD's that DD got last year who goes out and gets a $27.5 mil contract. Would any agent in their right mind come in with a number less than that for DD? Bad situation for negotiating for the Texans--the only thing they can say to DD and not insult him is "you have gotten dinged up and it has made you inconsistant. Let's see how the season progresses and if you stay healthy and productive we will revisit this." This is how bad deals by other teams can affect your team.

Big B Texan Fan
06-30-2005, 05:52 PM
This could be one of those deals that get done in the "Witching Hour" right before he becomes eligible for teams to start offering him a new deal.

Big78
07-01-2005, 12:28 PM
last year deuce mcallister was in contract negotiations for a while during the season, and some speculated that it was one of the reasons he was not performing as well as he could. does any one know if that was a re-negotiation or an extention b/c i was wondering, if this ran into the season would it be a distraction to DD, and maybe others, and hurt performance.

Vinny
07-01-2005, 12:34 PM
last year deuce mcallister was in contract negotiations for a while during the season, and some speculated that it was one of the reasons he was not performing as well as he could. does any one know if that was a re-negotiation or an extention b/c i was wondering, if this ran into the season would it be a distraction to DD, and maybe others, and hurt performance.
As a general rule, players in their last contract year tend to have bigger years, not smaller years.

dirty steve
07-01-2005, 12:36 PM
i believe deuce's productivity (or lack thereof) was a result of being underutilized in the offensive system. an injured ankle also had something to do with it.

False Start
07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Hopefully DD can stay healthy this season and earn this deal .

nunusguy
08-03-2005, 06:25 AM
"The Texans are close to rewarding running back Domanick Davis for becoming one of 13 players in the last 20 years to rush for at least 1,000 yards in their first two seasons.
Davis is about to sign a multiyear, multimillion-dollar contract extension, according to league sources familiar with negotiations between the Texans and agent Rick Smith.
Davis, a 2003 fourth-round pick who earns the $380,000 league minimum for a third-year player, is expected to sign the extension this week."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3293762

J Diddy
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
How bout that Dominick Davis!!!!

Time for him to shine this season and rush for 2.000 yards!!! ....Now that will really help D. Carr and free him up to complete some sweet passes to his receivers. :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
2,000 yards? Pass the blunt please.

edo783
08-03-2005, 02:13 PM
2K rushing???? 2K total....MAYBE.

dagr8whitehope
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
i would definitely go with 2k total if he can stay healthy and get rid of his case of the dropsies from last season. but 16 games for domanick could very easily lead to 2000 multi-purpose yards.

Fiddy
08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
i would definitely go with 2k total if he can stay healthy and get rid of his case of the dropsies from last season. but 16 games for domanick could very easily lead to 2000 multi-purpose yards. You are forgetting the Morency factor. The coaches love Morency and Morency is going to get a good amount of carries as the year goes on so Davis probably wont get too many 25 carry games.

nunusguy
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
I thought Dom was lookin real good at practice. He looked very quick, very
confidant, appears to be in excellent condition, and hustled on every play.

keyfro
08-03-2005, 05:17 PM
good to hear...he deserves it

TexansTrueFan
08-03-2005, 08:11 PM
he deserves it, and for all u D.D haters i hate to say it "but i told you so" We gave him a shot and he exploded into one of the nfls top 10 RBs IMO.

Beastlyman2003
08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
for all u D.D haters i hate to say it "but i told you so" We gave him a shot and he exploded into one of the nfls top 10 RBs .
That right there is for you steel blue and texansneedrbin2005(by the way you need a new name WHEN this extention gets signed). :goodnight

Beastlyman2003
08-03-2005, 08:51 PM
2,000 yards? Pass the blunt please.

PASS IT THIS WAY TOO!!! But really, Domanick could have 2000+ all-purpose.

texan279
08-03-2005, 09:13 PM
LINK (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3293762)

The Texans are close to rewarding running back Domanick Davis for becoming one of 13 players in the last 20 years to rush for at least 1,000 yards in their first two seasons.

Davis is about to sign a multiyear, multimillion-dollar contract extension, according to league sources familiar with negotiations between the Texans and agent Rick Smith.

Davis, a 2003 fourth-round pick who earns the $380,000 league minimum for a third-year player, is expected to sign the extension this week.

keyfro
08-03-2005, 10:16 PM
the only real knock on DD has been his ability to stay healthy...for the most part he's stayed healthy for the past two seasons...he hasn't missed the amount of games that travis henry has in the past two years...people can say he's too small all they want but he's about the same size as priest holmes and other really good runningbacks...will DD gain 1,700 rushing yards in a season probably not but will he gain 1,700 all purpose yards he could easily...he'll probably gain somewhere around 1,200 rushing yards leaving only 500 yds to recieving...DD can do that easily

DD is quickly becoming the type of runningback people look for...ie. brian westbrook, marshall faulk, priest holmes, and soon reggie bush

YodAa
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I'm so glad to hear this, because not only does he deserve it from his on field play, but off the field hes a great guy too. What better RB/person could you want?

F-minus67
08-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Seems like the texans are doing the smart thing. If he ran for another 1000 yard season, he would probably run up a few more millions on his contract.

stephen1
08-04-2005, 12:17 AM
how much do you think he'll get paid?

Doom Capers
08-04-2005, 12:29 AM

He is too busy changing his name to TexansneedRBin09.....

texanfan2002114
08-04-2005, 06:55 AM
the only real knock on DD has been his ability to stay healthy...for the most part he's stayed healthy for the past two seasons...he hasn't missed the amount of games that travis henry has in the past two years...people can say he's too small all they want but he's about the same size as priest holmes and other really good runningbacks...will DD gain 1,700 rushing yards in a season probably not but will he gain 1,700 all purpose yards he could easily...he'll probably gain somewhere around 1,200 rushing yards leaving only 500 yds to recieving...DD can do that easily

DD is quickly becoming the type of runningback people look for...ie. brian westbrook, marshall faulk, priest holmes, and soon reggie bush

DD has already gained over 1700 all purpose yards in one season. Last season. He rushed for 1188 yards and received 588 for a total of 1776 yards and 14 td and 13 of those were rushing.

I really believe as David has time to throw the ball it will also open more draw plays for DD and he will become a 1500 to 1700 yard rusher with 500 to 700 yards receiving.

Also to all the Morency fans out there who think he is going to take away half of DD carries. If the coaches loves him so much the Texans wouldn't be in such a hurry to reup with DD for such a large contract. Look at Denver, they believe running backs are a dime a dozen you can find them anywhere.

DD is a special player and he is going to make alot of Texans fan happy this year!! :highfive:

TEXANS84
08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Per Houston Chronicle:

Deal set for RB Davis
Running back Domanick Davis has agreed to terms on a long-term contract extension and is expected to sign today.

Davis, who rushed for 1,031 and 1,188 yards in his first two seasons, has two years left on the contract he signed after being selected in the fourth round of the 2003 draft.

Davis scored 14 touchdowns last season and caught 68 passes, second in the NFL among running backs behind Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook.

ArlingtonTexan
08-06-2005, 11:39 AM
:) :highfive:

Here is better one per espn radio....$22 million w/8 million in guarantees through 2009.

Fiddy
08-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Here is better one per espn radio....$22 million w/8 million in guarantees through 2009. Great job by Casserly. You are only going to pay him around 4 to 5 million a year. Very cap friendly...

texanfan2002114
08-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the update 84!! This is great news!!!

LoNghoRn-TeXaN
08-06-2005, 01:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2126946

"It's a deal that is fair to both sides and the Texans, as usual, did it the right way," said agent Rick Smith. "[Texans] general manager Charley Casserly didn't have to do this. But they did the right thing and now, for five more years, they have an excellent tailback in his prime, and at a price that works for everyone."

Indeed, the Texans could have paid Davis his $380,000 salary for this year and then likely retained him for 2006 by using a first-round restricted qualifying offer on him. Such a qualifying offer probably would have been enough to scare off any teams that might have pursued Davis next spring as a restricted free agent.

This is what you call a First-class organization!! :highfive:

stephen1
08-06-2005, 02:01 PM
good for domanick hes earned it

Texans Pride
08-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Yep, I like the way our organization handles business. I also happy for DD...He surely has worked hard for us, and has done everything asked of him...

GO TEXANS

Paragon Blue
08-06-2005, 03:36 PM
sweet. Im looking forward to seeing Davis for many years to come!!!!!!

TEXANS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rittenhouserobz
08-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Score looks like I'll finally have a jersey thats in use for more than 2 seasons!
Please tell me you didn't buy the Boselli the first year and Jermaine Lewisd the next year. Of course, I do feel for anyone who purchased a Sharper jersey last year. I bought two Jerseys. David Carr and Andre Johnson. MY next one is DD.

awtysst
08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Please tell me you didn't buy the Boselli the first year and Jermaine Lewisd the next year. Of course, I do feel for anyone who purchased a Sharper jersey last year. I bought two Jerseys. David Carr and Andre Johnson. MY next one is DD.

I have a basic jersey with no name. I am thinking of adding my name to it. In that way, I am guranteed to have a name that will never go to another team!

beerlover
08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal? did the TO situation impact how teams deal, under the current collective bargining agreement, with star players? I've heard New England ended Richard Seymour's holdout by renegoiating an extension & Daunte Culpepper's current deal is under review.

the deal reflects not just DD's value to the Texans as several stated "he's earned it" but reflects the Texans have assets well contained & more a function of the current NFL players bylaws & contracts with agents and NFL owners.

as long as the Texans can continue to build without being tied to bad contracts I'm fine with it. however I really expected them to focus on PB, I believe that he is more valuable to the organizations future success.

"Buchanon has two years left on his contract but knows the Texans have a history of re-doing deals with one year left. In other words, if he plays well, he's going to be get millions." http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3291931

Fiddy
08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal? Cause if he has another 1000 yard season, his price goes up a few million.

beerlover
08-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Cause if he has another 1000 yard season, his price goes up a few million.

key word "if", what "if" he gets hurt? how much then? while he has been productive in his first two NFL seasons, he has an extensive history of injury's. also as a feature back of a expansion franchise he carried the ball a disproportionate number of times, with the addition of Morency and a more balanced offensive scheme its only 50/50 he pounds his way to a 3rd consecutive 1000 yd season.

don't take this wrong, I'm a big fan of Domanick Davis, but I'm also a realist. I'm happy for him. I just hope the Texans are able to keep signing key players they are in peril of losing or as you suggested overpaying if not prioritized correctly.

by that same thinking why wait for Phillip Buchanon to break out as a Texan before signing him to a market value, cap friendly extension & save more millions?

vtech9
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
I did buy a Sharper jersey. As a matter of fact I bought two, one home and one away. 55 was my number in high school, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with a Sharper jersey. We all know what happened there. Oh well, I'm still going to wear it and wear it proudly up here in Oklahoma. I might eventually remove Sharpers name and have mine added, but I haven't decided yet.

Fiddy
08-07-2005, 12:08 PM
key word "if", what "if" he gets hurt? how much then? while he has been productive in his first two NFL seasons, he has an extensive history of injury's. also as a feature back of a expansion franchise he carried the ball a disproportionate number of times, with the addition of Morency and a more balanced offensive scheme its only 50/50 he pounds his way to a 3rd consecutive 1000 yd season. I understand and agree but with only about 2 million a year guaranteed you have to like the deal.

And Davis needs to fire his agent and hire me:
Lamont Jordan (1277 career rushing yards, 10 career TDs) signed for 27.5 million over 5 years
Domanick Davis (2219 career rushing yards, 21 career TDs) signed for 21.15 million over 5 years

That is why you have to love the deal.

Vinny
08-07-2005, 12:39 PM
whats the rush to sign DD to a long term deal? You answered your own question in the same post.
"Buchanon has two years left on his contract but knows the Texans have a history of re-doing deals with one year left.The Texas stated up front when they started this thing that they were going to try to sign our own guys more than have to dip into the over-priced FA market as a franchise model.

beerlover
08-07-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm good with it :) if

Texans keep flexability
Texans keep both CB's
Texans forget drafting a RB 1st next year
DD stays healthy, lives long & prospers

Wolf
08-07-2005, 02:24 PM
IMO, we are closing the holes now (i.e. rework the players we want to keep before their contract is over and a bidding war starts). Barring injury and just looking on paper.. I feel a replacement for Coleman,McKinny and either walker or payne is in line for next season's draft (or if wand doesn't pan out LT)

this opinion based on what I see on paper and am't of money/age these guys are being paid(except wand)

TexansTrueFan
08-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Can i name my new Sign in name as TexanshavegreatRBin05 :) !!!!!????

gtexan02
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Texans sign RB Davis to contract extension Click here to find out more!
NFL.com wire reports

HOUSTON (Aug. 7, 2005) -- The Houston Texans gave running back Domanick Davis a new five-year deal and a big raise, scrapping his league-minimum contract after two straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

Davis, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, has 2,200 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns in two seasons. He was in the last year of a three-year contract that paid him $360,000 annually.

While financial terms of the new contract were not released, general manager Charlie Casserly said Davis was getting a substantial raise.

"We didn't feel it was appropriate for him to be playing for the league minimum," general manager Charley Casserly said. "This shows that if a player comes in and performs better than expected, we're willing to tear up the contract and pay him what he's worth. This puts him up there with the good starting running backs in the league."

Davis, 5-foot-9 and 221 pounds, rushed for 1,031 yards and eight touchdowns as a rookie and came back with 1,188 yards rushing and 13 TDs last season.

"I'm just real thankful," Davis said. "It's been a long hard road, and now I can take care of my family the way I want to. The monkey is off my back."

Coach Dom Capers was happy to hear the news.

"Domanick has earned that reward," Capers said. "It didn't take long for us to see that he had running vision and running ability. He's a good runner and a hard worker, and a lot of people don't realize he led the running backs in the AFC with 68 receptions."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/8713350

The Preacher
08-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Does anybody know how much of his contract goes towards this year's cap and how much it leaves for this year's cap? Just curious after all the rookies' cap hits and DD's how much room is left. I'm not sure if that info is out there but it would interesting to know. It would give us an idea on what kind of contract extensions we might be able to afford to max out the cap this year. Might as well pay some signing bonuses now before our half dozen all-pro's come calling next year and beyond for their payday.

beerlover
08-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Davis gets a $5 million signing bonus and the same $380,000 base salary — the minimum for a third-year player — he was scheduled to make in his original contract.

Beginning in 2006, Davis' base salaries are $1.7 million, $3.34 million, $4.180 million and $4.55 million.

Davis will be paid a $1.2 million option bonus in March. He'll also receive an $800,000 roster bonus next year.

Davis' new contract takes up $1 million more in salary-cap space.

The $5 million signing bonus is spread over five years, and $1 million of it counts against the cap each year.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texans/3299629

Mr Shush
08-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Obviously there's a good chance he won't play on this contract for the last projected year or two - those are numbers which, depending on his performance between now and then, make cutting or reworking at that stage viable.

I like this deal - never mind Jordan in Oakland, compare it to the crazy money NO just blew on McAllister. It sort of confirms my belief that the long term plan involves sticking with more or less the offensive personnel we have for the next four or five years in the expectation that they'll be good for 8-12 in the league by any sensible measure, while upgrading the defense into the genuinely elite unit it needs to be to carry us into serious and consistent championship contention.

Fiddy
08-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I like this deal - never mind Jordan in Oakland, compare it to the crazy money NO just blew on McAllister.McAllister is a Pro Bowl back and is the center of that offense, like AJ is the center of our offense. If I was building an offense from scratch and I could pick any RB in the league, McAllister would be up there with LT, Holmes, Portis when I was making the decision. He can run between the tackles, around the tackles, catch the ball out of the backfield, catch the ball by setting up as a WR and running routes (former WR). Let's not forget that consecutive 100-yard game streak he had which only trails Barry Sanders (It was 9 or 10 games maybe more, I forget). He can do it all so dont say that the Saints "blew" money on McAllister. To lock up McAllister is the smartest thing the Saints have done in years. Unless you give him Peyton Manning money, you cant blow money on McAllister.

PapaL
08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
If only all teams could "blow" money on a McAllister. To bad he plays for the Aint's.