PDA

View Full Version : Texans OTAs thread (5/20-21, 23, 28-30, 6/3-6).

Pages : 1 [2]

drs23
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Something like that can happen at any time.

He could have been slightly over-trained. He could have actually injured it doing something else but didn't realize it or didn't realize how bad it was. Or the random factors might have just aligned and whammo.

UH-OH, is that a mandatory 4 game suspension like when Cush "over-trained? :kitten::kitten:

Playoffs
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
SOTT Texans OTAs: Day Five Recap (http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-5-recap/)

- Brandon Harris returned to practice for the Texans and looked just as good after suffering a head injury last week when he collided with receiver DeAndre Hopkins. Harris once again showed some good ball skills and broke up some passes. He has been really active on defense, especially in team drills.

- Cornerback Brice McCain also returned to full speed. He was being held out of team drills to make sure he was comfortable with his broken foot that landed him on the injured reserve last season. McCain has been participating in individual drills and looked like he was getting his feet back under him in team drills. McCain showed he still has top end speed and is still one of the fastest players for the team on the field.

- We cant go into particulars but the Texans special teams look like they are going to be much improved compared to last season. The addition of Shane Lechler and a healthy Randy Bullock should help out the Texans kicking and field position game. Also, there is a concentrated effort to get better on the back-end of the roster and find guys that can consistently contribute on special teams. It is a work in progress but initial signs have looked good from OTAs.

- Enough has not been said about the practices that Garrett Graham has put together. Graham has been running solid routes and the offense does not skip a beat with him with the first group. He looks like the tight end that the Texans want for the future and looks to be a key piece of the offense this season. He has really come into his own and has worked well with quarterback Matt Schaub.

- Rookie cornerback A.J. Bouye just makes plays in the secondary. He has batted down more passes than anyone in the secondary and always seems like he is in the right spot to make plays. He, like all of the rookies, struggled on Tuesday with new material but responded well today.

- Wide Receiver Alan Bonner is one of the more intriguing rookies out there for the Texans. Bonner dropped some easy passes where he was wide open but then showed some serious skills when he ran by a cornerback and caught a deep ball for a touchdown. Bonner has the ability to stretch the field and shows a skill set that made him a draftable player. He has a great get off from the line of scrimmage and can get in and out of breaks with ease. He is still rough around the edges but if Coach Kirksey can refine his skills, he can be a good one

- Ryan Griffin also falls into what makes him a rookie with his hot and cold moments on the field. He might be wrong on a depth of a route or drop a pass, but then he comes back and makes an impressive tight rope sideline catch. Griffin has been trying to work on his consistency during the OTA session and he is learning he can compete with these players. His shining moment was when he and D.J. Swearinger were going one on one in the team portion of practice and Griffin worked Swearinger with ease in the open field. His sheer size (6-6, 256 lbs.) and movement skills are impressive and he is bigger than any TE on the roster.
...read more: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-5-recap/

76Texan
05-30-2013, 12:01 PM
SOTT Texans OTAs: Day Five Recap (http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-5-recap/)

read more: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-5-recap/

Been saying that Bouye is a player.
His tapes impressed me a lot.

beerlover
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Simply astounding to me how these kids come into camp & compete for a job. Makes UDFA process more important than previously imagined. Of course this is a reflection of Texans scouting department. Good job gentlemen

thunderkyss
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Also, there is a concentrated effort to get better on the back-end of the roster and find guys that can consistently contribute on special teams. It is a work in progress but initial signs have looked good from OTAs.

29 UDFAs...... makes perfect sense now. I hope that's what we needed & not the other thing (because I don't see it happening at this point).

:spin:

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm wondering why Arian's strain occurred so easily. Maybe he over-trained during his workouts, and didn't rest the muscle long enough. What is the typical cause of that injury?

Something like that can happen at any time.

He could have been slightly over-trained. He could have actually injured it doing something else but didn't realize it or didn't realize how bad it was. Or the random factors might have just aligned and whammo.

Although this injury is typically seen as a result of overuse, calf strain can also occur suddenly if the muscle becomes over stretched for example when warm-up exercises have been missed out or are inadequate for the level of activity, causing the patient to over stretch the muscle while performing activities that require resistance against that muscle, such as running, kicking, jumping or skipping movements.

The way this particular injury is handled is extremely important in light of its high potential to re-injury......especially in a running back where recurrence can empirically be extremely troublesome.

http://runningphysio.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/wpid-photo-4-jun-2012-00001.jpg?w=611

Playoffs
05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Simply astounding to me how these kids come into camp & compete for a job. Makes UDFA process more important than previously imagined. Of course this is a reflection of Texans scouting department. Good job gentlemen

Agree, looking like a strong group of UDFAs the scouts put together & the team was able to sign.

Playoffs
05-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley (https://twitter.com/StephStradley)
Texans OC Dennison wants Oline to impose their will in redzone with run. Rise of run gm no surprise to me

Andre Johnson's TD numbers artificially depressed due to nature of offense. Many targets, preference to run near goal line. Foster vultured.

When Kubiak came to #Texans he told Andre Johnson his reception numbers would go up. AJ was happy about that. And it came to pass.

I personally don't think Andre Johnson's 2012 numbers are too high a % of offense. Look at his (ab)normal rec numbers for 16 game seasons.

Asked Kubiak about the high % of offense going thru Andre Johnson in 2012. He told me "It's going to happen again."

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Alan Bonner had an impressive leaping catch today in tight coverage. Solid WR that just keeps getting better.

Sharpton taking 1st team ILB reps with Reed?

Had a chance to talk to Brandon Harris said he feels great after the concussion he suffered last week.

Best thing about OTAs get to see players get better. S Jawanza Starling has slowly been getting the defense down. Very aggressive. #Texans

Shiloh Keo and Kareem Jackson both had interceptions today. Keo had his off a tipped pass and Jackson with another solid play. #Texans

Pretty impressed with Matt Schaub today. Made to tough throws through some tight windows. Look sharp, best day of OTAs. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
"He's got the tools of a big time player." Kubiak on Brandon Brooks. Kubiak says that he is #Texans starter at RG. #Texanstalk

Gary Kubiak says that next week will be a lot of work in the Redzone and situational teaching. #Texanstalk #Texans

drs23
05-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Just love the OTA updates. Keep 'em coming!

Playoffs
05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield 1h
“I’ve never seen him move like that before, all trim and cut up. Looks like a julienne salad.” Antonio Smith on @briancushing56

"Brian Cushing's gonna come back and be... 'Ultimate Cush.' Like the Ultimate Warrior." @antoniosmith94 #Texans

Kubiak on @JJWatt: “Special person, special player. We better enjoy it every day. They don’t come along like that very often.” #Texans

Gary Kubiak named S Eddie Pleasant & CB Brandon Harris a couple times this week as impressive young players #Texans

With Ed Reed out of OTAs, S DJ Swearinger has been working w/ the 1st-team defense in dime along w/ Keo, D. Manning #Texans

Gary Kubiak on OTAs: "I think it’s been really good. I like the focus. It’s a good group. They know how to work." #Texans

The #Texans finished their 2nd week of OTAs today. 4 more practices next week, then a 3-day mini-camp June 11-13

Gary Kubiak on DJ Swearinger: "He’s got a ton of confidence. He just walks out here like he belongs, and he does." #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h
Watching the #Texans DBs work in group together is fun to see. There is constant competition and Vance Joseph is a non stop worker.

Ninja also added "J.J. just gave them to me, I didn't have to do anything for them." #Texans

Talked to Ninja about wearing the MegaWatts[shoes] yesterday to practice, he said "J.J. knew I better have been the first one to get them."

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 2h
Gary Kubiak says 2nd year guard Brandon Brooks is the starter and that the job is his to lose. Brooks is powerful & down 25 pounds this yr

PDS ‏@PatDStat 2h
Scheme plays a big part in draft boards, just interesting to see what other teams have as grades for players. #Texans

Hopkins (2nd) Swearinger (3rd) Brennan Williams (5th) Trevardo Williams (7th) David Quessenberry (7th) Other picks were not on board.

According to the leaked Cowboys draft board they had the following round grades on the #Texans draft picks.

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 3h
Smith's contract poses a cap problem as it stands right now. Will blog some more in a second.

Antonio Smith said he's told #Texans he wants to spend the rest of his career in Houston. Said team told him they're open to an extension.

J.J. Watt says the biggest growth he's seen in Earl Mitchell is his confidence.

Gary Kubiak says that next week will be a lot of work in the Redzone and situational teaching.

Playoffs
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Team-602x420.jpg

SOTT Texans OTAs: Day Six Recap (http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-six-recap/)

- Starting quarterback Matt Schaub looked the best today that he has all off season. Schaub threw some nice passes into tight spaces that only his wide receivers could catch. His best throw came on the sidelines when he threw a strike to Keshawn Martin over two defenders 30 yards down field on a sideline route. It was a throw that we havent seen him throw often, but he was looking for Martin on the field to tell him nice catch. It was the first day Schaub looked really focused and actually showed emotion on the field after completing passes. He pushed the ball down field just out of the reach of Lestar Jean, but threw the ball effectively otherwise. Schaubs knowledge of the offense is impressive to watch and it is evident when he goes through his progressions on the field. He makes it look easy compared to the other three quarterbacks.

- It will be interesting to see what happens when Ed Reed returns, but there is a good competition between Eddie Pleasant and Shiloh Keo for one of the safety positions. Pleasant has taken a solid step in his progression as a safety and even knowing what the defense is asking. Pleasant has quick feet and has shown he can play against the better offensive players on the field. Fellow teammates like Brandon Harris and Johnathan Joseph have talked about Pleasant and the early impression he has made in OTAs.
- Alan Bonner had the catch of the day when he went high and elevated over a defender in traffic to haul a pass in from T.J. Yates. There was some positive chatter from his teammates watching from the sidelines. Bonner has shown his athletic ability like this more than once and today was another example.
...read more: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-six-recap/

Texans_Chick
05-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Thursday quote sheet.

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
DE J.J. Watt

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on RG Brandon Brooks) Its been really good. The biggest thing is any time youve got a young player and you say, Okay, youre a starter. The best thing you can have happen is that you dont really notice him. And thats kind of whats happened. He went in there, hes done his job. He understands what were doing now. Hes got the tools of a big-time player. So it will all just be up to him. Hes come a long way. I think hes very comfortable in his own skin right now in what hes doing and feeling good about himself.

(on Brandon Brooks being penciled in as the starter at right guard) Hes right there. Thats his. Hes got to line up every day and earn it. I think he worked through it last year and at the end of last year I think he was playing that way so I think hes earned the opportunity to be that guy, so well see if he can hang on.

(on the relationship between WR DeAndre Hopkins and WR Andre Johnson) Its good. Ill tell you what, when I watch it, to be honest with you, I think (WR) Andre (Johnson) first just because Andres just always had such a load on this team of bringing on players and teaching and hes got enough stuff on his own plate. But here we go again. But thats what hes all about and hes done a really good job with the young man. Hes on overload right now, the kid, but hes pushing and hanging in there. I think (WR) Keshawn (Martin) and (WR) Lestar (Jean) have come a long way, so its the best group of young guys weve had to work with and weve got to get them all in the right spot.

(on any new injuries) Were fine. (LG) Wade (Smith) got nicked a little bit at the end of practice, got his elbow hit. But I think hes fine. Weve had a good clean week, other than the (RB) Arian (Foster) situation. Well take our time and get him healthy.

(on the Texans secondary) Well first off, weve got great leadership back there with (CB Johnathan Joseph) J-Joe and (SS Danieal Manning) D Manning. Im real impressed right now with the young guys. When I look at (SS) Eddie Pleasant, what hes become watching him. (FS) D.J. (Swearinger), obviously Ive talked about him enough. (CB) Brandon Harris making plays out here every day. You see first-, second-, third-year players all the sudden start acting like five- or six-year players. And thats the key to the team.

(on what hes seen from rookie FS D.J. Swearinger after two weeks) Confidence. Hes got a ton of confidence. He just walks out here like he belongs and he does. I mean, hes got a ton of ability. Hes a smart player. When the ball is close to him, hes going to make the play. Thats the difference between a good player and a great player in this league is being in the right spot and making big plays when you get there. Hes got a chance to make those plays.

(on if rookie FS D.J. Swearinger is getting more opportunities with FS Ed Reed not being at OTAs) Oh, yeah. Hes basically a starter out here from the standpoint of what we do dime-wise right now and working with (FS Shiloh) Keo. But working with a lot of starter reps. But hes going to be called on very quickly and hes sure acting like he can do it. Well just keep our fingers crossed, keep going.

(on if he notices the year one confidence level of safeties Shiloh Keo, Eddie Pleasant and D.J. Swearinger) You notice a difference in their confidence with our defense and what theyre doing. When guys start to get that way all their athletic skill starts to show up. They dont slow down, they speed up when they get confidence in what theyre doing. So thats what you see.

(on if there is a difference in the confidence level FS D.J. Swearinger has from that of FS Shiloh Keo and SS Eddie Pleasant in their first years) I dont know. I think theres been an acceleration with (FS) D.J. (Swearinger) with the fact that (FS) Ed (Reed) is not here. So its been a quick push, so its showed up maybe a little bit quicker. Hey, thats part of our business, thats where were at, so weve got to get that done.

(on having a player as great as DE J.J. Watt be such a standout in the community) Hes amazing. I always worry about guys. I always tell them, If youve got too much on your plate, let me know. Ill help you because weve got to have you playing good football. Hes one of those guys that does so many things. Ive never heard him complain one time. A special person, a special player, so we better enjoy it every day because they dont come along like that very often.

(on people concerned with the percentage of offense that went through WR Andre Johnson last year) Tell them a big percentage is going to go through him again.

DE J.J. Watt
(on being a more vocal leader on defense) Its been going well. Im doing a little bit more talking than Ive done in the past but like I said at the beginning, it all starts with my play. If Im not playing well, nobody wants to follow me. Im just trying to make sure Im the best player I can be.

(on what he has seen from the team two weeks into OTAs) Weve got workers. Weve got guys that are committed. We have guys who come out here every day and are focused on getting better and thats all you can do right now in this period, with no pads on. All you can do is focus on your technique and getting better.

(on how NT Earl Mitchell has stepped up) (NT) Earl (Mitchell) is playing great. Earls been a guy who got a lot of snaps last year. He knows how to play. He knows what its like to be in that starter role and hes stepped in and its been seamless. Hes playing very well for us.

(on if it has been said to him that this is his team) In my exit interview after last season with coach (Gary) Kubiak, we talked a little bit about my leadership role and taking a new step forward but for me its more gradual. Obviously, I was very fortunate to be named a captain halfway through last year; just as I go, Im just trying to take on a little bit more role each time. Im a young kid and theres a lot of vets on this team and Im just trying to earn my stripes and prove that I belong and prove to the young guys what it takes to get here.

(on if any of his offseason activities, including visiting Afghanistan helped develop his leadership skills) Of course. I think it all helps. I think, any time that you have an opportunity to go see different power structures, different men in the military who have different ranks and you see how things work and the way people handle it, its definitely an advantage and it helps you in your own leadership capabilities.

(on what hes trying to improve on his game now) Im working on everything. I do a lot well but I can do everything better. Theres little things. Theres a lot of little technique things. Im going to be seeing a lot of double and triple teams, just like I did last year, so just finding new ways to improve. I mean, theres always ways to improve no matter how good you are, you can always get better.

(on offensive coordinators scheming to stop him) Thats good. I mean, I enjoy that. Ive always said it; if youre focused on just stopping me, youre going to have a headache because you have to deal with (DE) Antonio Smith, (ILB) Brian Cushing, (OLB) Whitney Mercilus, (OLB) Brooks Reed, all those guys. I welcome all the challenges. I welcome every double team. I welcome every chip block. But Im always working my tail off to make sure Im prepared for that.

(on the Houston Texans Super Bowl aspirations) If theres a football team in this league right now that is not thinking about a Super Bowl, then show me them because thats crazy. Every single team in this team is thinking about a Super Bowl right now and were no different. Weve been to the playoffs, weve won division championships. Logically, thats the next step and thats what were trying to do.

(on being able to help in the community and play well) Its awesome. The way this community has embraced me, Im trying to do everything I can to give back and show them that I appreciate them. And we have such great fans. Everywhere you go, you see so many fans and theyre so great and any chance I get, Id much rather give back to the fans than play a video game or watch a television show. So instead of sitting on my couch, Im trying to go out into the community and help every chance I can.

(on if he is enjoying spending time with his team at OTAs) Absolutely. I think thats one thing about our team, we have great chemistry. The offseason stuff is fun. Ive had a lot of great opportunities this offseason but on the field, thats home to me. This is where I feel the most comfortable. This is where theres no distractions. I just get to enjoy the game. I get to play my craft and be around my teammates. Im having a blast and so it was a welcome sight for me to get back on the field. I enjoy it very much.

(on the play of NT Earl Mitchell) (NT) Earl (Mitchell) is playing great. Earl has played great in the past. He knows what its like to be a starter in this league. Hes playing starter reps and hes continuing to grow and hes continuing to get better. Hes getting more confidence and I think thats the biggest thing.

(on what the defensive line needs to improve on) We have a very good defensive line but we can always get better. I mean, theres a couple sacks we can get back, theres some tackles we need to make. I think the run game, I think we need to shore up that run game, especially when were in our dime personnel when were in the run game, we want to make sure we shore that up.

(on if there is a young player who has caught his eye in the last two weeks) I think one guy who has stepped in very nicely is (ILB Darryl) Sharpton. Sharpton is playing well. Hes gaining some confidence out there. Hes playing good football and you can tell as the days go on, he gets more and more confident in himself and thats what these days are for. Thats what these practices are for, gaining confidence.

(on what it will mean to the defense when ILB Brian Cushing is back healthy) Its huge. (ILB) Brian Cushing is a player you love having out there because he flies around, he makes plays. Hes got a lot of energy and hes a great football player and any time hes on the field with you, youre confident. Im excited to get him back and we cant wait to have him out here at practice.

(on NT Earl Mitchell saying that he is the best teammate hes ever had because he makes everyone want to be better) Thats a great compliment. I appreciate it and I think thats my goal. Every day that I come to work, Im trying to be the best I can and hopefully Im pushing everybody around me. I think on this team, nobody likes to be complacent, nobody wants to be comfortable with second place running sprints, whether were doing a lift in the weight room or if were out here at practice. Were all trying to be the best. If Im out front, Im trying to (pull) everyone along with me and if somebody else is out front, Im trying to catch them. Thats just kind of the way we work.

(on the difference for him in receiving national fame in addition to local fame) Its cool, man. Its pretty cool. I enjoy it. I mean, this is the type of stuff you dream about as a kid. You dream about all these things that I get to do now. But for me, at the end of the day, it all comes back to on this field and that weight room and working hard because as quickly; I guess its come over so many years, but it can go away so quickly. You work so hard. You work your entire life to build up something like this and it could be taken away so quickly if you dont play well. Im trying to make it last as long as possible so every single day Im putting in the work.

(on how special it is that he makes people around him better) Its very special. It means a lot to me. To hear a teammate say something like that, its very special. I can only hope I continue that for my entire career because thats the ultimate goal. Its nice to play good for yourself but when you can make people around you better, thats what its all about.

Texans_Chick
05-30-2013, 10:57 PM
(on people concerned with the percentage of offense that went through WR Andre Johnson last year) Tell them a big percentage is going to go through him again.

OK that may have been the funniest response to a question I have ever heard. I wish I had it on video because his facial expression was a mix of WTF and GTFO. I barely finished the question before he answered it. I don't think it is on video because most cameras had run away by then. I sniped the question in the end.

This what I wrote about it on Twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 8h
Kubiak's facial expression to my q turned into words -> RT @davidmillican: This is ANDRE FREAKING JOHNSON guys. You give that guy the ball

Kevin Cooper was the Texans PR head who was recording that interview for the transcripts:

Kevin Cooper ‏@kevincooper44 7h
@StephStradley @davidmillican I was there and couldn't agreee more. That face was priceless.

Mostly asked the question for the fantasy football folks who wonder if the emergence of a possible real #2 means significantly decreased touches for AJ. Also asked the question because I've heard that point of view a lot, and think it is dumb. But I like putting out those questions that people think Are Concerns so that Texans folks can just address them and move on.

ObsiWan
06-01-2013, 11:42 AM
OK that may have been the funniest response to a question I have ever heard. I wish I had it on video because his facial expression was a mix of WTF and GTFO. I barely finished the question before he answered it. I don't think it is on video because most cameras had run away by then. I sniped the question in the end.

This what I wrote about it on Twitter:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 8h
Kubiak's facial expression to my q turned into words -> RT @davidmillican: This is ANDRE FREAKING JOHNSON guys. You give that guy the ball

Kevin Cooper was the Texans PR head who was recording that interview for the transcripts:

Kevin Cooper ‏@kevincooper44 7h
@StephStradley @davidmillican I was there and couldn't agreee more. That face was priceless.

:spit:

I used this because there's not a "Well DUUUH" smiley
:D

and thanks loads for keeping us in the know.

Playoffs
06-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I used this because there's not a "Well DUUUH" smiley
:D

How about...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/48f313023dcd5e18de961a94b50d321b/tumblr_mniujpqD101rrx588o1_400.gif

Playoffs
06-01-2013, 12:23 PM
D.J. Swearinger impressing Texans in accelerated role (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/DJ-Swearinger-impressing-Texans-in-accelerated-role/16dcab80-fb85-4943-ad9e-6b703a32d0a6)

With Ed Reed missing OTAs because of a hip injury, rookie safety D.J. Swearinger has been getting valuable reps with the Texans’ first-team defense.

Swearinger, a second-round draft pick from South Carolina, is working mostly with the second unit in base defense and with the first unit in dime packages along with safeties Danieal Manning and Shiloh Keo.

“I think there’s been an acceleration with D.J. with the fact that Ed is not here,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Thursday. “So it’s been a quick push.

“He’s basically a starter out here from the standpoint of what we do dime-wise right now and working with Keo. (He’s) working with a lot of starter reps. He’s going to be called on very quickly, and he’s sure acting like he can do it. We’ll just keep our fingers crossed, keep going.”
...read more: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/DJ-Swearinger-impressing-Texans-in-accelerated-role/16dcab80-fb85-4943-ad9e-6b703a32d0a6

ObsiWan
06-01-2013, 01:04 PM
How about...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/48f313023dcd5e18de961a94b50d321b/tumblr_mniujpqD101rrx588o1_400.gif

Yeah, that works
:)

Playoffs
06-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak would not characterize D being ahead of O. Said great things about [Brandon Brooks] @bbrooks_79 physical condition.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak not happy w/young player mistakes today. He says some of them were "on me." Seeing how much young guys can learn

@HoustonTexans OTAs: As Kubiak promised last week, today was more situational/red zone work. #Texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli

Kubiak on new starting NT Earl Mitchell: "Everything this offseason, not just OTAs, has indicated that Earl's ready for his turn." #Texans

Bit of a sloppy practice today. Gary Kubiak said he put a lot on their plate, attributed sloppiness to that. #Texans

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

Gary Kubiak on OLB Whitney Mercilus: "Very young player, but he’s obviously much improved in everything he’s done." #Texans

Gary Kubiak on NT @EarlMitchell92: "Earl's obviously a starter, and he acts like one right now." #Texans

Playoffs
06-03-2013, 02:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208509/article/johnathan-joseph-returns-to-houston-texans-healthy

"I'm just glad to have it[two sports hernias] behind me," [Johnathan] Joseph said. "I'm feeling better than I've ever felt. ... And I'm having probably the best OTAs (organized team activities) I've had in four or five years."

Playoffs
06-03-2013, 06:26 PM

“It’s been a long year for me. I can’t sleep at night. I think about football all the time." @DPo8 #Texans

WR DeVier Posey (Achilles) expects to be on the field next week doing drills. Has been running on an anti gravity treadmill #Texans

Corrosion
06-04-2013, 08:03 AM

Its been a long year for me. I cant sleep at night. I think about football all the time." @DPo8 #Texans

WR DeVier Posey (Achilles) expects to be on the field next week doing drills. Has been running on an @Alter_G #Texans

:wow:

(for those that don't know , that's an anti-gravity treadmill)

Sounds like he's made a miraculous recovery if he's planning on being on the field next week .... He might make it difficult for those other young receivers to make the roster. Mael , Jean and Co better step it up ....

PapaL
06-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Sounds like he's made a miraculous recovery if he's planning on being on the field next week .... He might make it difficult for those other young receivers to make the roster. Mael , Jean and Co better step it up ....

Learn something new every day. Interesting...

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 10:21 AM

Texans WR DeVier Posey (Achilles') is expected to be on the field "doing drills" at next week's minicamp.

Coach Gary Kubiak recently classified Posey's recovery as "ahead of schedule," and this is confirmation. Posey has been running on an anti-gravity treadmill, and his next step is to get on the field. We wouldn't expect him to do a whole lot, but it's a sign that the second-year wideout could contribute in 2013. Jun 3 - 6:07 PM
Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter link (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7540/devier-posey)

************************************************** *****************************

I'm certainly rooting for the kid, but "next step to get on the field"? "doing drills"? "this is a confirmation"?

To put this in perspective, it is important to understand the antigravity treadmill technology which was originally developed at NASA. It has been used for training runners, rehabbing stroke and Parkinson’s patients as well as rehabbing sports injuries for years. The treadmill works by pumping air into an enclosure that surrounds users from the waist down. They zip themselves in, and an increase in air pressure lifts them so they can run at a fraction of their actual weight (pressing the up/down arrows on the control panel decreases body weight at increments of 1 percent, as much as 80 percent). The reduction lowers the impact on joints and muscles to improve training and performance or help provide a smoother recovery from injury or surgery. Speed and incline are adjustable as with any treadmill. Running on this treadmill is very controlled. You're harnessed in so securely that you really don't feel any balance issues. Balance is obviously mandatory in unaided running stability........and that is a very big jump, and is the point where concern for injury/setback begins. The only controlled study with this treadmill has shown that it does not necessarily have any significant effect on the time that the patient is actually ready for “outside” running. However, the main advantage of this device is as a tool that allows the physician/trainer to determine when it is appropriate to most safely begin running outside (this has always been a problem). The criteria as determined by the study was allowing the patient to run outside after being able to run for at least 10minutes on the anti gravity treadmill at 85% of body weight.

http://sar-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/11591292.jpg

thunderkyss
06-04-2013, 11:46 AM
link (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7540/devier-posey)

************************************************** *****************************

I'm certainly rooting for the kid, but "next step to get on the field"? "doing drills"? "this is a confirmation"?

To put this in perspective

Doc... you mentioned before that Devier suffered a complete rupture of his Achilles. I've googled about as much as I can & haven't found anything that specific. Do you have info not available to the public?

Is it possible that it was not a complete tear?

cuppacoffee
06-04-2013, 11:53 AM
link (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/7540/devier-posey)

To put this in perspective, it is important to understand the antigravity treadmill technology which was originally developed at NASA. It has been used for training runners, rehabbing stroke and Parkinsons patients as well as rehabbing sports injuries for years. The treadmill works by pumping air into an enclosure that surrounds users from the waist down. They zip themselves in, and an increase in air pressure lifts them so they can run at a fraction of their actual weight (pressing the up/down arrows on the control panel decreases body weight at increments of 1 percent, as much as 80 percent). The reduction lowers the impact on joints and muscles to improve training and performance or help provide a smoother recovery from injury or surgery. Speed and incline are adjustable as with any treadmill. Running on this treadmill is very controlled. You're harnessed in so securely that you really don't feel any balance issues. Balance is obviously mandatory in unaided running stability........and that is a very big jump, and is the point where concern for injury/setback begins. The only controlled study with this treadmill has shown that it does not necessarily have any significant effect on the time that the patient is actually ready for outside running. However, the main advantage of this device is as a tool that allows the physician/trainer to determine when it is appropriate to most safely begin running outside (this has always been a problem). The criteria as determined by the study was allowing the patient to run outside after being able to run for at least 10minutes on the anti gravity treadmill at 85% of body weight.

http://sar-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/11591292.jpg

Would be nice if one of these could be fabricated in the horizontal position so us old folks with bad backs or limited pulmonary function could...awh...just wishful thinking.

:coffee:

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Doc... you mentioned before that Devier suffered a complete rupture of his Achilles. I've googled about as much as I can & haven't found anything that specific. Do you have info not available to the public?

Is it possible that it was not a complete tear?

Good question. Anything is possible. However, we have to go by the information that has been released thus far as being accurate. Posey was quoted as feeling as though her were "shot" when it happens. This description or a "snap" or a "pop" are all classic for describing what is felt when an Achilles ruptures. Rupture implies complete tear as opposed to partial tear.

From just one Feb 9 Chronicle article:

Meanwhile, Texans receiver DeVier Posey, 22, underwent surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered in the Jan. 13 playoff loss at New England. It's too early in the rehab process to determine when he might be able to return.

I would love to claim this was a partial tear. However, putting the pieces together (if they are reported accurately), Posey experienced a complete tear.

Photo taken immediately after his injury affords additional valuable affirmation.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2013/01/texans-06-300x199.jpg

In the "Matles Test" the patient lies prone and the knee is flexed to ~90 deg. Any dorsiflexion of the foot indicates a ruptured (complete) tendon. Dorsiflexion in the supine position would be excrutiatingly painful for a partial tear.

Posey was later positioned when carted off with his knee straight and toes down to relax (remove the tension from) the Achilles tendon rupture/gastrocnemius muscle spasm.

Keep in mind that with a complete rupture a player may still be able to dorsiflex his foot, and he may experience only minor pain and swelling.

paycheck71
06-04-2013, 01:07 PM

Even with all that it still doesn't sound like he'll be playing before sometime in October.

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Texans receiver DeVier Posey, on the bounce back from a torn achilles: "I should be on the field next week doing drills."

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
Texans DeVier Posey, on return from torn achilles to game action: "End of September or October. "I think I'm as far along as I can be."

Playoffs
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM
The entire #Texans team will attend Wednesday's memorial at Reliant Stadium for the 4 Houston firefighters killed in a motel fire last week

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Johnathan Joseph who sat today was coaching up as much as he could. Especially helping out the rookies on what to look for. #Texans

#Texans practice was at an high tempo in the redzone work. WRs and DBs are always pushing each other to get better.

Swearinger is a smart player. Shows a nice skill set to play press man and deep safety. More impressed w/him lining up the secondary.

Talked to DeVier Posey "I have been running on an air treadmill and should start running on the field next week sometime." #Texans

Hopkins understands how to create on broken plays. Made a tough catch over McCain on one. #Texans

Rookie TE Ryan Griffin also showed some pass catching skills. His 6-6 frame is a weapon itself. A viable redzone target. #Texans

Brandon Harris has a good day today. Him and Jean were a fun matchup to watch in the endzone. #Texans

Jeff Maehl and Lestar Jean also made some impressive catches today in the endzone. #Texans

It was the Alan Bonner show today. Made some tough catches today. #Texans

Hot day today at camp. Regular vets say today. All healthy. #Texans

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Some vet players sat today giving young players opportunities. Bonner, Jean had some tough catches

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Team did more redzone work. Kubiak noted he liked to give different young guys opps w/1s, like Case Keenum today.

Kubiak said Martin and Jean took a ton of reps with the ones today and might be the two most improved players in camp

thunderkyss
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Good question. Anything is possible. However, we have to go by the information that has been released thus far as being accurate.

I appreciate your whole post. But along the lines of "the information that has been released thus far...... "

That also includes Posey getting on the field next week & being "ahead of schedule"

Doesn't that point to less than a complete tear?

Brisco_County
06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
At this point, the consistency of reports about Bonner impressing has become noteworthy.

michaelm
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
At this point, the consistency of reports about Bonner impressing has become noteworthy.

I agree. He is consistently receiving positive comments from more than a few different sources.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
I appreciate your whole post. But along the lines of "the information that has been released thus far...... "

That also includes Posey getting on the field next week & being "ahead of schedule"

Doesn't that point to less than a complete tear?

Not necessarily. For one, when I see "ahead of schedule," I tend to break into a sweat. Secondly, if I were allowed, I could be "getting on the field" next to Posey during mini-camp. What will he be doing while "on the field" is the question. At almost 5 months, light running on the field is not miraculous. Deon Hall had his Achilles re-attached in November of 2012, was doing light running by 4 months and backpedaling and coning before 5 months. But he was not medically cleared thereafter for OTAs or mini-camps. He was finally released just prior to TC, 8 months post surgery.

So much is made about truly early return of players from severe injuries such as Achilles tendon tears that we fail to appreciate that most players still follow the older established recovery times. There is a very good reason that many very good physicians do not take the chance with their Achilles patients to return too early just to say that they were "ahead of schedule." As serious an injury as a primary rupture can be, those 5% that go on to re-rupture can be catastrophic. But I'll be waiting just like you to see what really happens.

CretorFrigg
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm really liking what I hear about Martin. If he pans out, he could be the small, quick slot guy we need.

Texans_Chick
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
During OTA's, players rehabbing injuries do running work supervised by trainers on a completely different field.

Media is not supposed to take pictures of that activity.

So, when Antonio Smith is giving rave reports about how Cushing looks, it is partially based on seeing him do work on the separate field. If you didn't know Cushing was hurt last year, you would not be able to tell watching him run.

So I am guessing Posey will be joining Cushing over there. Eventually, I expect to see Foster on that side field.

Lots of good plays by wide receivers during red zone drills.

Just about all the WRs had some good gets, though Bonner and Jean probably had the flashiest ones in traffic. Bonner made one that it looked like he was going to go out the back corner and managed to stay inbounds. Texans staffers near by gave him the TD signal.

badboy
06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
With Hopkins and Martin doing well, I hope they do not rush Posey back. Going into playoffs, our WR corps could be very good, especially if Jean could contribute.

Porky
06-04-2013, 04:36 PM
The reports on Bonner are encouraging, but more than one guy has looked good in camp or even preseason games only to be a big fat zero.

I didn't like the pick, and I would be more than happy to eat a big ole plate of crow.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Would be nice if one of these could be fabricated in the horizontal position so us old folks with bad backs or limited pulmonary function could...awh...just wishful thinking.

:coffee:

Recumbency is not necessary. These machines have been used successfully for patients with extremely severe back disc problems and since these can be set to almost no gravity, pulmonary patients are also able to us them to obtain aerobic benefits.

The downside is the device's cost. The cheapest found in some gyms runs ~$30-35,000. These gyms usually charge $100-200 per month or separately per visit or by the minute for its use. The ones, like used here in the Med Center for injury rehab run more than $75, 000-100,000.

Keep in mind the company producing these various models disclaim medical benefits from all but its most expensive "medical" units.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 04:54 PM
During OTA's, players rehabbing injuries do running work supervised by trainers on a completely different field.

So, when Antonio Smith is giving rave reports about how Cushing looks, it is partially based on seeing him do work on the separate field. If you didn't know Cushing was hurt last year, you would not be able to tell watching him run.

So I am guessing Posey will be joining Cushing over there. Eventually, I expect to see Foster on that side field.

Just about all the WRs had some good gets, though Bonner and Jean probably had the flashiest ones in traffic. Bonner made one that it looked like he was going to go out the back corner and managed to stay inbounds. Texans staffers near by gave him the TD signal.

As always thanks for your updates and comments.

b0ng
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM

You've seen a few OTAs, tell us with a comparison to previous years WRs corps how the 2013 version stacks up. Are they better/worse than the 2012 squad?

thunderkyss
06-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Deon Hall had his Achilles re-attached in November of 2012, was doing light running by 4 months and backpedaling and coning before 5 months. But he was not medically cleared thereafter for OTAs or mini-camps. He was finally released just prior to TC, 8 months post surgery.

So much is made about truly early return of players from severe injuries such as Achilles tendon tears that we fail to appreciate that most players still follow the older established recovery times.

So the baseline is 8 months for a complete rupture? Which would be some time in August....

ObsiWan
06-04-2013, 07:10 PM
So the baseline is 8 months for a complete rupture? Which would be some time in August....

Still.... I'd rather see Posey PUP'd. Why rush him back?

Playoffs
06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
PDS ‏@PatDStat 1h
Rookie offenisve lineman David Quessenberry said being drafted by the #Texans was an honor, and doesn't want to disappoint them.

Graham laughed when we talked about his first career catch coming from the arm of Jake Delhomme in the last game of the 2011 season vs. Tenn

Graham his rookie and second season played on scout team and was buried behind OD, Dresseen and Casey. #Texans

Graham says the 4 year wait to get to where he is now, "has taken some time but it was well worth the wait." #Texans

With Daniels taking some OTAs off. Graham says it has helped him run different routes and make him think differently with the 1s. #Texans

Graham said he has been playing both TE positions and the offense. Pointed out it has helped him to understand the offense better. #Texans

Had a good talk with Garrett Graham after practice. Said he feels "100%" after his concussion issues from last season. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 4h
Keenum worked with the ones today and threw 6 TDs in redzone drills. Kubiak was very impressed. #Texanstalk #Texans

"We're counting on some really young guys helping this team quick and the only way to get them there is to throw it at them." Kubiak #Texans

Ryan Griffin was finding space and catching TDs, but Bonner had catch of the day. back corner stretched out & 2 ft in. #texans #Texanstalk

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 4h
Also noticed rookie TE Ryan Griffin got open quite a bit. #Texans

Red zone offense looked much better today than yesterday. Saw 13 TD catches, including 3 nice ones by Lestar Jean. #Texans

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Still.... I'd rather see Posey PUP'd. Why rush him back?

Expanded quotes from Kubiak today:

(on how far WR DeVier Posey has come in his rehab) Hes doing great but he can only do so much. Hes doing everything he can do. The old ahead of schedule, that applies here. But remember, were making a decision on him at the end of camp because of the PUP and those type of things. Hes doing everything he can. Hes going to come back and hes going to play for us next year. How early is the question.

(on if he likes seeing WR DeVier Posey out at OTAs helping out) Hes making sure he gets better because the biggest thing he struggled with last year was just catching up on what we do. Once he did, he was very competitive and played well for us. Hes staying involved in that and that will help him when he comes back.

Playoffs
06-04-2013, 09:12 PM
#Texans RT Brennan Williams thinks he won't be back at practice until training camp. #Texanstalk.

Story here. http://bit.ly/10OSCcl

“I think I’m close,” Williams said. “I think I’m going to run out of time before I’m actually cleared to play. I think I’m going to be fine. I think we’re going to be out of minicamp by the time they say, ‘Go ahead and do everything.’”

PDS ‏@PatDStat
#Texans worked out TE Billy Bajema today according to @RavensInsider. Makes me believe the Supernaw injury is one that will take time.

TE Garrett Graham talked highly of rookie Ryan Griffin. Graham said "Griff is going to help this team." #Texans

SOTT--Texans OTAs: Day Seven Recap (http://www.stateofthetexans.com/texans-otas-day-seven-recap/)

It was a hot day for the Houston Texans and probably one of the more fast paced practices of the OTAs. The Texans concentrated on red zone offense and defense which upped the intensity on the field.

It was a normal off day for some veterans but the team was running full speed during the last official week of OTAs...

thunderkyss
06-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Expanded quotes from Kubiak today:

Thanks, but that doesn't help.

Is 8 months the baseline, which would be August? If he's truly ahead of schedule, would that mean before August (it would if 8 months is the baseline)

If he's ready to participate in practice in October, is that "ahead of schedule"

That's all I'm trying to do, establish a baseline.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Thanks, but that doesn't help.

Is 8 months the baseline, which would be August? If he's truly ahead of schedule, would that mean before August (it would if 8 months is the baseline)

If he's ready to participate in practice in October, is that "ahead of schedule"

That's all I'm trying to do, establish a baseline.

I don't consider him ahead of schedule. Rather, ifs there is any truth to his present status, he would be considered on schedule. Eight months would be a reasonable time to expect him to be back on the contact field. But closer to 10-12 months would still probably be the more realistic time to expect him to become "contributory."

Taking everything I know at this point, including likely having a WR corps that is expected to be (barring injury) more solid than last year going into the beginning of the season, I would tend to feel more comfortable putting him on PUP and letting him re-strengthen his muscles and tendon to the max before putting out there "for real."

As with Brennan who was to be back by last OTA, then this week, then mini-camp.........now, hopefully, he'll be back for TC..........

There is a big difference between participating in "window dressing" activities and being thrown into the next level, let alone real game bullets........and that is where there is real separation in injury "recovery"
between one player and another.

thunderkyss
06-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Taking everything I know at this point, including likely having a WR corps that is expected to be (barring injury) more solid than last year going into the beginning of the season, I would tend to feel more comfortable putting him on PUP and letting him re-strengthen his muscles and tendon to the max before putting out there "for real."

In one of the Suggs quotes, he mentioned that you aren't supposed to do anything at all for a substantial period of time. Then we saw the anti-gravity treadmill which you said will help determine when the player can get on the field. Then we hear about Cushing & some of the others working out on a separate field.

However, the players are often saying they are "doing everything they can to come back." or "I'm working extra hard"

In Posey's case, where he most likely isn't allowed to do a whole lot, how much "hard work" can they really be doing? Isn't this just a healing process & the body is going to heal when it heals?

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 10:43 PM
In one of the Suggs quotes, he mentioned that you aren't supposed to do anything at all for a substantial period of time. Then we saw the anti-gravity treadmill which you said will help determine when the player can get on the field. Then we hear about Cushing & some of the others working out on a separate field.

However, the players are often saying they are "doing everything they can to come back." or "I'm working extra hard"

In Posey's case, where he most likely isn't allowed to do a whole lot, how much "hard work" can they really be doing? Isn't this just a healing process & the body is going to heal when it heals?

That's the whole point. The body's healing process is pretty well set, some a little quicker, some a little faster..........but most right in the middle. (There will always be that outlier out there.) There is more chance that if a body is pushed too hard too fast it will suffer a significant setback, rather than if not pushed to the max it will significantly slow the recovery.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2013, 10:53 PM

The "rest" period that Suggs speaks of refers to the first 3 months where you are to remain totally immobile except for the limited passive range of motion supervised by the therapist. The antigravity treadmill determines when the patient can begin to run, on the field or otherwise. When players are on the "separate field," they are basically doing rehab such as bicycling, running straight line, gradually progressing to cones, to skipping, backpedalling, etc.

thunderkyss
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
That's the whole point. The body's healing process is pretty well set, some a little quicker, some a little faster..........but most right in the middle. (There will always be that outlier out there.) There is more chance that if a body is pushed too hard too fast it will suffer a significant setback, rather than if not pushed to the max it will significantly slow the recovery.

So this whole, "I'm working my butt off to get back." Is just empty talk from the player? ?

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
So this whole, "I'm working my butt off to get back." Is just empty talk from the player? ?

Most professional players will put in the necessary work into getting back into shape........and it may feel that they are "working their butt off to get back." But beyond that, I wouldn't put much into statements like that.

Rey
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Listening to Williams I'm beginning to think more and more that the IR stash for the Texans is an actual thing.

Says he feels good, but they keep pushing the date back and he's fighting them to try to get back but ultimately will do what the professionals tell him to do.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a setback or see him come back but re-injure himself. Just in time for the IR stash.

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Listening to Williams I'm beginning to think more and more that the IR stash for the Texans is an actual thing.

Says he feels good, but they keep pushing the date back and he's fighting them to try to get back but ultimately will do what the professionals tell him to do.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a setback or see him come back but re-injure himself. Just in time for the IR stash.

With how tenuous the OT situation is, I would tend to believe that this is not an IR ploy, more an underestimated injury.

Playoffs
06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMAQ7sfCAAIoizC.jpg

The entire #texans team in attendance at reliant stadium for the memorial for the 4 fallen Houston firefighters pic.twitter.com/hoOwtDyb3m (https://twitter.com/JPalmerCSN/status/342294744606576640/photo/1)

PDS ‏@PatDStat
DeAndre Hopkins birthday tmrw RT @Nukdabomb: 21 tomorrow , I need some bday

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Most FG kicking work done on side field. Today was first day in simulated pressure in front of team/media

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Tho Bullock did some deep FG during practice, not being automatic for someone w/ his inexperience is a concern.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Worked on more situational football: red zone, no huddle, live kicking in front of team/media.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: In middle of practice, saw missing jet flyover. Lots of police directing traffic in area.

@HoustonTexans OTAs cut short this morning due to team going to firefighter memorial. Felt sad. Helicopters hovering, bagpipe sounds, sirens

"It keeps things in perspective. Looking forward to going in there and showing our support." Gary Kubiak on today's #HFD memorial service

K Randy Bullock was "excellent" on kickoffs today and 6-of-8 on FGs, Kubiak said. "Lot of confidence in him." #Texans

Gary Kubiak said 2nd-year QB Case Keenum is "playing really well" and has thrown maybe 1 INT throughout OTAs #Texans

Gary Kubiak on rookie TE Ryan Griffin: "He's got a chance to be a really good player. I think he could get bigger, too." #Texans

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said bone spur has been bothering Duane Brown. He's getting it shaved this morning #Texans

LT Duane Brown is having minor surgery this morning for a bone spur in his ankle. Will be fine for training camp #Texans

thunderkyss
06-05-2013, 01:56 PM
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Worked on more situational football: red zone, no huddle, live kicking in front of team/media.

Gots to be a typo.

Texans_Chick
06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Here's an additional tweet:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 4h
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak said Bullock was good on kickoffs today, 6-8 in live practice kicks. "Need him to be automatic."

Bullock is going to be a concern all camp until he is not. And even then games are different.

As for no huddle, they work on it when they do situational stuff. Was a challenge last year do to changes on the line.

Playoffs
06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Here's an additional tweet:

Stephanie Stradley ‏@StephStradley 4h
@HoustonTexans OTAs: Kubiak said Bullock was good on kickoffs today, 6-8 in live practice kicks. "Need him to be automatic."

Bullock is going to be a concern all camp until he is not. And even then games are different.
Oops, must have deleted that one by accident. :tiphat:

There goes my shot at getting that job at PFT as a news/feed aggregator. :smiliepalm:

I agree on Bullock. He's already got two strikes against him: 1) he's a kicker, 2) he's a young, unproven kicker.

Brisco_County
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Oops, must have deleted that one by accident. :tiphat:

There goes my shot at getting that job at PFT as a news/feed aggregator. :smiliepalm:

I agree on Bullock. He's already got two strikes against him: 1) he's a kicker, 2) he's a young, unproven kicker.

3) He has not felt in-game pressure in well over a year.

Texans_Chick
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
You've seen a few OTAs, tell us with a comparison to previous years WRs corps how the 2013 version stacks up. Are they better/worse than the 2012 squad?

I've been to all the OTAs. Haven't written up all of them because at some point the macro view is more important than the micro view.

My view of the WRs:

1. Last year I did not buy into the hype of any of the WRs. They had up and down days, and I think some folks got overly down on Posey, overly up on Jean and Martin. They all looked inconsistent to me. It also did not help that Schaub didn't work with them during OTAs because he was still rehabbing foot.

2. I do think Jean and Martin look more consistent this year. I do not think that is hype. What that translates on the field, I do not know.

3. Hopkins is different than every WR the Texans have acquired post-AJ. Just very impressive. Great, great hands. Very physical. He isn't getting a ton of targets but makes the most of them. I don't think the talk about him is hype.

He won't get a ton of twitter talk during this phase of OTAs because he is working with 1s, working against 1st team defense, isn't getting a ton of targets because healthy JJo is covering him as consistently as a Jags tarp.

I am not sure of how many targets Hopkins will receive but Hopkins is exactly as advertised. Strikes me as a bright guy too. (Sometimes you interview guys and it is like looking into the eyes of a cow. Texans haven't kept a lot of those guys).

4. Bonner is getting a lot of targets from backup QBs/against backup corners. He is making the most of those targets, has shown good body awareness. When he runs routes, looks like he's on rails. Flashy catches mean lots of tweets about him. He's intriguing, but don't know how it will translate to real man football.

5. Overall the group of WRs look like they belong. In shorts. There isn't a Trindon/Jean's first year guy out there looking confused.

I'll be doing a complete OTAs wrap up on Thursday.

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
I didn't feel good about Bullock when we drafted him (For the life of me, I never understood why if we drafted a kicker, we would have passed on Zerlein). I didn't feel any better after seeing him kick prior to his injury last year. And I have even less of a warm fuzzy feeling going into this season with him as the "Chosen One."

Texans_Chick
06-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Quote sheet today. Short practice. Very, very up tempo. Fortunately because it was early, it was cool (ish):

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on why it was so important to go the Firefighter Memorial Service at Reliant Stadium as a team) “Our community means so much to us as an organization, that goes without saying. These players, they come from all over the country and they become a Houstonian. We put a team together and get very close to our city and it something that we talked about as a team with the players the other day. We get so much support from them and its time for us to show our support for these families and the people that serve our city on a daily basis. It’s interesting; we’ve had a few things happen this offseason with coaches’ families and a few things going on. It kind of makes you stop and we’ve got a lot of other things other than football going on in our lives that we’ve got to handle, too. We want to help these families handle this situation.”

(on if there was a different feel at today’s OTA session) “Obviously you know something’s going on all morning and to see the fire trucks lined up down Kirby (Drive) as we walked over. I think it keeps things in perspective for you, what’s going on. But we were able to get out here this morning, have a good workout. Obviously looking forward to going in there and showing our support this morning.”

(on TE Ryan Griffin finding open spaces in the last few days) “Yeah. He has a chance to be a really good player and I think he can get bigger, too. So we’re excited. He fits the mold with what we do at tight end with the guys we have. He’s very smart and I saw him make a few plays out here today. It was a good practice. We were only out here about an hour and 20 minutes trying to teach no-huddle and hurry-up. I think we got a lot out of it.”

(on the pace of the OTA session being good) “It was very good. It’s kind of good, too, that it happens at 8 in the morning because that’s when we practice during camp so it teaches those rookies how to get their clock going early and get over here. We try to simulate as much as what we’re fixing to go do, so it was a good practice.”

(on the play of QB Case Keenum) “He’s playing really well. You all see it. You all come out and watch practice. He’s got a ton of confidence. He knows exactly what’s going on this year, so that’s not going to be the problem. It’s just a matter of getting it done and he’s operating that way. Every time he’s gotten a chance with his group he’s made plays and he’s protected the ball well, too. That’s one thing I’ve been impressed with. I think he’s thrown maybe one interception throughout the course of the OTAs, so he’s come a long, long way.”

(on QB T.J. Yates) “(QB) T.J. (Yates) is fine. When you’re working as the (No.) 2 (quarterback), you’re working against the first-team defense in certain drills, so that’s a tough deal. I understand that. I did that for a while. But T.J.’s doing good. He had the OTAs. I think he’s made progress off the last year but he’s getting pushed and he knows it and it’s going to make them both better.”

(on what he’s seen from K Randy Bullock) “I don’t watch him as much with (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) until we start doing the team stuff here. But I thought today in kickoffs he was excellent. I think he was 6-of-8 today in field goals. We need him to be automatic but we’ve got a lot of confidence in him. That’s why he’s the only guy here, basically. We need him to come on real quick for us. Need it to get done.”

(on when FS Ed Reed will be in Houston) “He’ll be here next week. He’ll be here basically for just an evaluation process. Obviously he can’t do anything. But, well on top of what’s going on. We know who’s working with him in Atlanta and then we’ll get him here next week.”

(on LT Duane Brown’s health) “I was going to tell you guys that but nobody asked. (LT) Duane (Brown) was not here this morning. Duane has a bone spur that’s been bothering him somewhere in his ankle area and made a decision yesterday to go ahead and shave it. So he’s having that done this morning. It’s a minor procedure. He’s fine. We just want to make sure it’s something that’s not a problem when we go to camp, so we decided to do it.”

(on if he expects LT Duane Brown to be fine in time for training camp) “Yeah. I expect him to be fine in a couple weeks. It’s just a decision we made yesterday. It’s bothered him the last couple days and he doesn’t need to go through a whole year worrying about that so that’s why we did it.”

(on if there are any other injuries) “(DE Earl) Okine did not practice today. He’s got a leg bruise but should be back next week with the guys.”

(on if anyone stuck out during the OTA session) “I’d have to go back and look; we were practicing so fast this morning. I thought some good things happened. Obviously, we changed the tempo of practice and it caught some young guys off guard, as far as some of the things they were doing. But yet, you saw some other guys keep up real well. It was a good day.”

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Steph,

I hear that Newton looks like the Goodyear blimp. In my previous posts, I mentioned that a patellar tendon rupture surgery is not an easy recovery, especially in an already heavy player like a lineman. It can be a total deal breaker when that player due to inactivity allows himself to gain a very large amount of weight. I have heard that Newton is up around 345-350 pounds. Can you comment on this?

drs23
06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
He won't get a ton of twitter talk during this phase of OTAs because he is working with 1s, working against 1st team defense, isn't getting a ton of targets because healthy JJo is covering him as consistently as a Jags tarp.

OK, that made me laugh. :lol:

thunderkyss
06-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Quote sheet today. Short practice. Very, very up tempo. Fortunately because it was early, it was cool (ish):

Next time you get to ask questions, can you ask if he's thought about the rosters & positions yet? Is he already thinking about the 53? or does that come later?

& who surprised him the most so far?

Rey
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Next time you get to ask questions, can you ask if he's thought about the rosters & positions yet? Is he already thinking about the 53? or does that come later?

Not going to answer for GK, but I would assume that he knows who the locks are...Who the very likely to make it are and who are the guys fighting to make the team on the bubble...

Playoffs
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/22/04/74/4738828/0/622x350.jpg

Texans_Chick
06-05-2013, 10:55 PM

I don't think he is even close to thinking about that.

A lot has to do with who is healthy and when, and who they think will become healthy so they can stock the practice squad properly.

I've talked to him in late August, right before final cuts, and he isn't spilling much beans.

I can try the last question, but I'm not sure how much I can get.

It is hard to ask him questions that he doesn't give a generalized answer to.

Playoffs
06-05-2013, 11:33 PM

We're gonna go with the best 53.

When we know, you guys will know.

I like our team.

Its very competitive when you go from Xxxxx to Xxxxx to Xxxxx. How many do you keep?

Hes played really good.

Hes getting better and better.

Hes got a lot of confidence in what hes doing.

TexanSam
06-05-2013, 11:46 PM
I didn't feel good about Bullock when we drafted him (For the life of me, I never understood why if we drafted a kicker, we would have passed on Zerlein). I didn't feel any better after seeing him kick prior to his injury last year. And I have even less of a warm fuzzy feeling going into this season with him as the "Chosen One."

I don't think I've ever felt confident in our kickers since the start of the franchise.

thunderkyss
06-06-2013, 12:11 AM

I'm expecting a general answer.... a cryptic I didn't really say much Kubiak answer. I'd like to "see" how he reacts though. Body language, tone, what generalities he makes.

What he is willing to say, what he's not, & how far he goes.

Even the 53 man roster, I'm sure he's not going to give us any names, not even Foster or Schaub, or OD who we know will make it. But if he says he's given it some thought..... I would take that to mean he's got a really good crop of yung'ns, or if he mentions TEs..... or whatever.

Basically I'm just looking for some lines to read between.

Texans_Chick
06-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Steph,

I hear that Newton looks like the Goodyear blimp. In my previous posts, I mentioned that a patellar tendon rupture surgery is not an easy recovery, especially in an already heavy player like a lineman. It can be a total deal breaker when that player due to inactivity allows himself to gain a very large amount of weight. I have heard that Newton is up around 345-350 pounds. Can you comment on this?

I can't say I'm a good judge of that sort of thing. At some point, a big man is a big man. He's a pretty tall dude so he has places to put weight.

Will say he doesn't look close to me.

Brennan Williams has been doing some work on side field, doing intervals on the stationary bike on the sideline that has the arm handles too. Under supervision. He does that during practice. So it isn't just riding the bike, he goes faster than they usually go, then he ices up the knee.

With Duane Brown out for a while, they are going to get a good look at all their healthy tackles.

Playoffs
06-06-2013, 02:39 PM
100% it's Reed and Mercilus. only way it changes is it someone in middle gets hurt and Reed moves inside.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Yes. RT So who starts at the other ILB spot? Sharpton?

Still convinced Reed and Mercilus will start as OLBs.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Hard to get a good gauge on Randy Bullock. Looks better but last camp was more impressed with Graham. This year no real competition. #Texans

D.J. Swearinger says he sits right next to Manning in all meetings and has been picking his brain more than anyones. #Texans

#texans OTAs in books, Kubiak says Trevardo Williams is still ahead of Sam Montgomery. Said Sam still struggling with hand out of ground.

All by himself without being asked, Gary Kubiak brought up his concerns over the RT spot and the injuries there. #Texans

Yes. Slow news days are good. :) RT @EarlMitchell92: The highlight of todays practice was my mom driving around screaming "Eaaaarl!!!"

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Unofficially (by my car measurement), hottest day of OTAs. 91 at start. It will feel hotter soon, even w/earlier starts

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Talking STs, Kubiak talked of adding assistant, confidence in Lechler...and basically saying, we've got a young kicker.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: Minicamp is next week. Focus on inexperienced players.

@HoustonTexans OTAs: All OTAs over. Uneventful day w/hats no helmets. D Brown's surgery said to have gone well. Hopkins out w/illness.

Good news for #Texans at right T: Gary Kubiak says Derek Newton and Brennan Williams will both be ready for training camp

Right tackle is a concern right now for the #Texans. Derek Newton, Brennan Williams both missed OTAs w/ injuries

Gary Kubiak said top draft picks DJ Swearinger and DeAndre Hopkins are "much more advanced" after OTAs #Texans

Duane Brown is "fine" after Wednesday ankle surgery, Gary Kubiak said. "He's here today. He's doing good." #Texans

The #Texans wrapped up OTAs today at the Methodist Training Center. Vets will rest in next week's mini-camp

ObsiWan
06-06-2013, 03:15 PM
We're gonna go with the best 53.

When we know, you guys will know.

I like our team.

Its very competitive when you go from Xxxxx to Xxxxx to Xxxxx. How many do you keep?

Hes played really good.

Hes getting better and better.

Hes got a lot of confidence in what hes doing.

You got those straight from the CoachSpeak 101 handbook.
I think they're supposed to be numbered....

badboy
06-06-2013, 03:32 PM
While it is not written in stone, good to hear Gary saying Newton and Williams will b ready by TC. Also that Keenum's accuracy continues in NFL. I really hope we are far ahead enough in some regular season games to give Yates & Case some "live fire" reps.

b0ng
06-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Should I be worried that there isn't much talk about the return game?

The Pencil Neck
06-06-2013, 04:48 PM

What return game?

:swatter:

:vincepalm:

thunderkyss
06-06-2013, 05:19 PM
While it is not written in stone, good to hear Gary saying Newton and Williams will b ready by TC. Also that Keenum's accuracy continues in NFL. I really hope we are far ahead enough in some regular season games to give Yates & Case some "live fire" reps.

It'll never happen while Matt is 100%

I don't think Kubiak wants to hear clamoring for his back-up, when he never heard his name being called when he was a back-up.

Seriously though, this is another reason I don't believe Kubiak ever had any concerns about Matt's foot. If he thought he needed to save Matt for the end of the season, no doubt in my mind he would have. Especially considering the game plan we went with after we established a lead.

Playoffs
06-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Should I be worried that there isn't much talk about the return game?Not yet, no.

What return game?
The one where the opposing QB launches a pass and it gets sWatted(returned) back in his face. :swatter:

Texans_Chick
06-06-2013, 06:21 PM

They are working on it a lot.

Trouble is that you can't tell squat because no tackling.

Kubiak says new players mean more speed.

Texans_Chick
06-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Transcripts. Today. I asked coach about the Bum Phillips opera because I am accepting the challenge of trying to ask coach things that he doesn't have a pat answer to:

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
FS D.J. Swearinger
DE Antonio Smith

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on wrapping up OTAs) I think it was a good 10 days. Today we were just teaching and doing some situational stuff. I think the biggest thing is we threw some young players in some very tough positions. You look at (S D.J.) Swearinger and where he got thrown into right away because of (S) Ed (Reed) not being here. Then you look at us taking (WR DeAndre) Hopkins, our number one, so I think weve come a long way as a team. Instead of it taking us two weeks to go through that in camp, I think those guys are much more advanced. Obviously there are some concerns. Up front, the right tackle has got me concerned right now. Guys have missed a lot of time, but I think the work has been good. We got out of this thing healthy. All these guys that have missed a little time will be back. Well finish up next week with just the young guys.

(on what he sees out of his outside linebackers) I see a young group. Its very young, when you consider (Bryan) Braman is working as a starter and youve got two draft choices. Its young, but its talented and athletic. (Linebackers coach) Reggie (Herring) and (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) have a history of getting those young guys ready to go real quick, so thatll be very important to our team.

(on the progress of OLBs Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams) I think its been good. I think Trevardo is a little big a head of (Montgomery) just from the standpoint of playing the position, the true position. Sam is trying to go from hand down to standing up, so thats different for him. The talent is there for both of them.

(on what hes looking to accomplish next week in minicamp) What Im going to do is Im going to go back and basically have the tempo we had in practice today and hit all these young guys with everything for about the fifth time. Really, Im not concerned about the physical part next week as much as I am at just t getting them all a bunch more reps. Thats what well do and workout the older guys.

(on the status of T Duane Brown) Duane is fine. Hes here today. He just didnt come over. Hes fine. I saw him in the cafeteria this morning. Hes doing good. (DE Earl) Okine is doing fine, possibly back next week. (WR) Lestar (Jean) has a family issue hes dealing with today. (WR DeAndre) Hopkins is sick today. He came in this morning about 5:45 or 6, but hell be okay.

(on how he sees the special teams improving) Well I think there are a couple of things going on with our special teams. First off, weve got a lot of young guys that can run. That is where your special teams come from. I think getting (special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) Lig (special teams assistant Bob Ligashesky) to come in here and help him has really been a big help for Joe from a teaching process and a load standpoint. I think thats been very good. I think weve got a chance. Weve got a heck of a punter. I think we have a lot of confidence in him. Weve got a young kicker that has got to come a long way. I think the youth and the fact that we can run gives us a chance to improve.

(on ILB Tim Dobbins missing from OTAs) Like Ive said, its voluntary. Ill see him next week.

(on if he has any concerns with S Ed Reed being out) No, we know exactly where Ed is at in the process and whats going on. Well get our hands on him next week and get him in town.

(on if he expects to find some veteran help at right tackle) The guys are all there. The problem is that theyre just not healthy right now. (T Derek) Newton is going to be healthy. Hes going to be ready for camp. (T Brennan) Williams is going to be ready for camp. The competition is there. The answerers are there, but we have to get them out here. I think, as a team, you never say never about anything, but the fact that those guys are in place and everybody is going to be ready to go on the 25th (of July), that makes me feel good.

(on if he has heard that there will be an opera based on the life of Bum Phillips) Really? Good. Thats awesome. Thats awesome. What did Coach think about it? [Coach thinks its great, although he says he cant sing.] Yeah, I cant comment on that. I dont know, but the Coach is a good friend. If theyre going to do one on somebody, they couldnt do one on anybody better. I know that.

FS D.J. Swearinger
(on how important the last few weeks have been to his development) Its tremendous. Im glad that I learned the way I did; learned fast. Ive basically got the whole defense already. Ive just got to keep studying to make it second nature and Im going to be great.

(on if he feels like hes light years ahead of where he was when he first arrived) Yeah. From the first time I walked on until now, Ive gotten a lot of knowledge, a lot of different knowledge. Ive just got to polish it up and just keep studying.

(on taking the next step) Im just ready. Im just ready to keep studying and see how I do once I master everything. I think the skys the limit once I master everything and get to playing like how I really want to play.

DE Antonio Smith
(on how he views things now that OTAs are over) It looked pretty good to me, man. It was a pretty good set of OTAs. I like looking at some of the rookies we got. Weve got some talent, man. Weve really got some talent; some that in a few years are going to be giving some guys runs for their jobs. Whenever youve got that two, three strings deep, youre going to be alright. I think that weve got a lot to learn. Rookies have always got a lot to learn. I think, as veterans, the ones ran smooth after that first week. That first week we were a little rocky but after that, we went smooth and it was a pretty good OTAs overall.

(on if there are some shuffling pieces on the defense) Well, there are some shuffling pieces right now because were waiting on Cush (ILB Brian Cushing) to get back. But other than that, it ran smooth. Everything was good. We learned each others techniques and what moves each other do so we can blitz and things like that and hug rush. Everythings coming together. There isnt any need to rush it. Its going to come together like its supposed to. Were not a young team anymore, so we know what needs to be done and we know what time frame we have to do it.

(on how fast FS D.J. Swearinger has picked up the defense) All of (the rookies) are like that, Im telling you. This group of rookies is ambitious and youve got to like that, even if some guys might feel like theyre scared for their jobs. Not anybody, Im just saying in the past. I love rookies like that. I love rookies that are going to come in and try to be what they dream to be, not just come in and just hope they make a team, or something like that. They want to be stars and they want to be stars. When youve got rookies like that, youre going to have a great team.

(on how much of a teacher role he has taken on) Pretty much a lot. Im fixing to start charging extra. I might even get two checks for my coaching expertise. Im going to go into guru coaching.

(on if hes looking forward to seeing ILB Darryl Sharpton healthy and what he can do on the field) Im always looking forward to seeing (ILB Darryl) Sharpton. I dont know if people really give him credit for it, to me he is an aggressive, electrifying type of player. Every time he gets in his groove, hes had an injury, so Im just hoping and Im going to keep praying for him that he stays healthy because he can really help this team.

Playoffs
06-07-2013, 05:27 PM
:texans chick:TexansChick

Texans 2013 OTAs in review: More things change, the more they stay the same (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2013/06/texans-2013-otas-in-review/)

Texans organized team activities (OTAs) are done. Next week starts minicamp which will focus on the younger players and not vets. So what do we know, what do we still want to know?

I went to every day of OTAs, so I want to give you all the information that can be known about the last three weeks...read more: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2013/06/texans-2013-otas-in-review/

UberDork
06-07-2013, 07:03 PM
So if I have this straight, Hopkins was sick on his 21st birthday? That's a bummer... :thinking:

Playoffs
06-07-2013, 08:18 PM
So if I have this straight, Hopkins was sick on his 21st birthday? That's a bummer... :thinking:I betcha he was sick because of his birthday.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Nice write up, TC.......as always!

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?

Rey
06-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Just saw Derek newton at house of blues. On crutches.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Just saw Derek newton at house of blues. On crutches.

I'm not surprised, but it's not a great sign. You would expect that by ~12 weeks, most would be walking without crutches. This is ~16 weeks. Like I've said before, this is not an easy recovery, especially for a "big" man. Rey, how would you say his weight was doing?

Rey
06-09-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm not surprised, but it's not a great sign. You would expect that by ~12 weeks, most would be walking without crutches. This is ~16 weeks. Like I've said before, this is not an easy recovery, especially for a "big" man. Rey, how would you say his weight was doing?

I should have taken a picture with him. I think I'm bigger than newton. He's definitely in better shape. He looked good tbh. Didn't look "fat". He looks like a pro athlete I don't know if it was him on the crutches or what, but he has really good arm definition for a big guy. Honestly it looked like he could have gotten around without crutches with maybe a slight hitch in his step.

But still I agree, the crutches aren't a great sign at this point. He doesn't look ready to play at all.

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I should have taken a picture with him. I think I'm bigger than newton. He's definitely in better shape. He looked good tbh. Didn't look "fat". He looks like a pro athlete I don't know if it was him on the crutches or what, but he has really good arm definition for a big guy. Honestly it looked like he could have gotten around without crutches with maybe a slight hitch in his step.

But still I agree, the crutches aren't a great sign at this point. He doesn't look ready to play at all.

Thanks for sharing your observation.

alphajoker
06-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Wonder if you could comment on if you feel that Kubiak would ever entertain converting Brandon Brook to OT........if not sooner, then later?

It's been a while I since posted (just been busy),but I couldn't agree with this more. This would allow B. Jones to fully concentrate at RG. Although I see Jones at C more long term but this could be an option. I think Kubiak should explore that option. Didn't Brook play OT in college?

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2013, 06:01 PM
It's been a while I since posted (just been busy),but I couldn't agree with this more. This would allow B. Jones to fully concentrate at RG. Although I see Jones at C more long term but this could be an option. I think Kubiak should explore that option. Didn't Brook play OT in college?

Both right and left. He was always considered brute strength and quick hands AND quick feet, but still somewhat "sluggish" on plays. He also played at 350 pounds in college. Now that he is supposedly "lean, muscular and svelt," I believe that OT would not be a far reach, especially in time.

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2013, 10:01 PM
A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13
Lost in the discussion has been defensive end Tim Jamison, who tore his Achilles in Week 6 of last season. Like Cushing, Jamison has been steadily rehabbing with trainers on a side field during spring practices. And like Cushing, he could be healthy for the start of training camp.

“He’s doing good,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “That’s a hard injury to come back from. He’s really, basically, almost cleared. It’s just about confidence in what he’s doing, and we’re hoping that by training camp, he’s pretty close to full speed and ready to go.”

"Almost cleared" for practice at ~8 months. It will be nice to see him, if not full speed, at least ready to go for TC at ~10 months..........and ready to "contribute" Game 1 at ~12 months. Barring setback, a more reasonable schedule for returning from this injury.

beerlover
06-09-2013, 11:22 PM
A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13

"Almost cleared" for practice at ~8 months. It will be nice to see him, if not full speed, at least ready to go for TC at ~10 months..........and ready to "contribute" Game 1 at ~12 months. Barring setback, a more reasonable schedule for returning from this injury.

tells me spot duty & working his way back into the rotation but now with more dogs in the race. :nicedog:

Wolf6151
06-10-2013, 02:29 AM
A Jamison sighting!

Scurfield 6/8/13

That's outstanding news. I really like Tim Jamison and HOPE that he can come back and be the player that he was pre-injury. CND, maybe you could give us an opinion on long term prognosis for DE coming back from an achilles tear. I imagine it depends of the severity of the tear but what do you figure the odds are that he's able to get back to being the high quality rotational DE that he was pre-injury? Thanks for the info..

alphajoker
06-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Both right and left. He was always considered brute strength and quick hands AND quick feet, but still somewhat "sluggish" on plays. He also played at 350 pounds in college. Now that he is supposedly "lean, muscular and svelt," I believe that OT would not be a far reach, especially in time.

Ah ok thanks for confirming.

HOU-TEX
06-10-2013, 10:20 AM
lol

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Rookie long snapper Brandon Hartson has been invited to participate in the Houston Texans minicamp on a tryout basis

badboy
06-10-2013, 11:32 AM
In TC's post above on OTAs. Anthony Smith uses the terminology "hug rush". I'm not familiar with that. Can someone enlighten me?

Also, I'd rather see Harris, Newton and Williams battling for reps at RT if healthy as Kubiac states and keep Brooks at RG. I also want Jones learning behind Myers.

Corrosion
06-10-2013, 04:22 PM
lol

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h
Rookie long snapper Brandon Hartson has been invited to participate in the Houston Texans minicamp on a tryout basis

First thing I thought was a cost cutting move .... but Jon Weeks is only a 3 year vet. Not much difference between that and a rookie vet min deal.

HOU-TEX
06-10-2013, 04:24 PM
First thing I thought was a cost cutting move .... but Jon Weeks is only a 3 year vet. Not much difference between that and a rookie vet min deal.

Maybe it's to take some of the load off of Weeks. lol

Texans_Chick
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Hmmm. This is what I know and think I know:

1. The Texans are very specific about what they like for different positions on the offensive line. When the new staff came to the team in 2006, it blew them away that it just seemed like big guys got randomly assigned different positions on the line without much attention to skills/body type.

(As an aside, I do not buy all the BS that just because team X got free agent Olineman Y it means they fixed their Oline. If an Olineman is teh awesome, they usually don't get to become free agents. And a lot of time teams are looking for high priced free agent Olineman, it's because they suck at developing them and/or their scheme sucks and/or their quarterback does them no favors. In addition, just because a player costs a lot, doesn't mean they are any good or fit a different team's system. You can shorthand this whole paragraph as The Todd Wade Rule. Very nice guy, but did not fix the abysmal Texans offensive line because of this whole paragraph).

2. Looks good at guard. Guard kinda important too. Maybe you are better settling a young player at one spot he can become dominant at than a position that maybe doesn't suit him.

3. They expect Newton/Williams back. Minicamp this week, then a lot of time until training camp. So let's see what happens with the tackles.

4. OTOH, Texans aren't afraid to try stuff with young guys if they have a need. Signed, Ben Jones playing lots of time at guard even though he didn't play it since high school. So, in other words, I have pretty much given up trying to predict what the Texans do on the offensive line because boy howdy, I didn't see that Ben Jones thing coming until it just started happening in camp.

5. Dark horse candidate: Quessenberry. When he works with backups, looks like he is too big to be with that group. Same sensation I got when I watched Eric Winston his rookie year. (Not the same player but long arms, named captain as a lineman, played through injuries). I'm going to watch Oline more carefully in minicamps given current issues.

Texans_Chick
06-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Why might they be doing a tryout?

1. Hm. Not sure that Weeks will be at minicamp. They are focusing on non-vets. They had Collin Klein in for a tryout for rookie minicamp because they needed more arms, wanted to see him.

2. Hartson is local. So easy. Might not be a bad thing to check out someone locally for a just in case position.

3. Weeks is the most improbable player on the entire team given his size. He's listed as 5'10" 247 (and the Texans say their roster sheets are not fake weights), but he looks smaller. The reason why he was acquired is that he snaps the ball extremely fast, fast enough that it can make a difference.

All that being said, Hartson listed 6'2, 238.

4. I hope that over the season, nobody pays any attention whatsoever to the long snapper. The end.

Playoffs
06-10-2013, 07:41 PM
5. Dark horse candidate: Quessenberry. When he works with backups, looks like he is too big to be with that group. Same sensation I got when I watched Eric Winston his rookie year. (Not the same player but long arms, named captain as a lineman, played through injuries). I'm going to watch Oline more carefully in minicamps given current issues.

Quess was my other "wish" pick for the draft. I think the guy has the right makeup. Had some technique issues, but held his own against the best in the draft.

When you say "too big", is that just physically or something else?

Corrosion
06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Why might they be doing a tryout?

1. Hm. Not sure that Weeks will be at minicamp. They are focusing on non-vets. They had Collin Klein in for a tryout for rookie minicamp because they needed more arms, wanted to see him.

If that's the case then .... this makes sense. Someone has to snap the ball ....

4. I hope that over the season, nobody pays any attention whatsoever to the long snapper. The end.

Aint that the truth .... :kitten:

Texans_Chick
06-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Quess was my other "wish" pick for the draft. I think the guy has the right makeup. Had some technique issues, but held his own against the best in the draft.

When you say "too big", is that just physically or something else?

Physically. He looks bigger than the guys he is lined up with, mix of 2nd/3rd string guys usually. He was bigger than I expected just based on what I had read up on him before he showed up.

I remember watching Winston in a preseasson game his rookie year and thinking that he looked like the bigger kid than the rest, sort of like when you are watching pee-wee football, and certain kids just stick out because they are just growed a little more.

Speaking of size differences. Seeing Brandon Brooks lined up next to Chris Myers is almost funny. Brooks is beastly big. Myers isn't a tiny dude by real people standards, but Brooks looks crazy thick. Those legs.

Playoffs
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Speaking of size differences. Seeing Brandon Brooks lined up next to Chris Myers is almost funny. Brooks is beastly big. Myers isn't a tiny dude by real people standards, but Brooks looks crazy thick. Those legs.
Brandon's got the biggest lower legs I think I've ever seen. Cankle-ist of cankles.

CloakNNNdagger
06-10-2013, 09:59 PM
That's outstanding news. I really like Tim Jamison and HOPE that he can come back and be the player that he was pre-injury. CND, maybe you could give us an opinion on long term prognosis for DE coming back from an achilles tear. I imagine it depends of the severity of the tear but what do you figure the odds are that he's able to get back to being the high quality rotational DE that he was pre-injury? Thanks for the info..

In the only study ever reported in NFL players with ruptured Achilles tendons, DTs and DEs had the lowest power rating drop offs of all positions. These were listed at 65% and 55% decrease, respectively. As I've stated in the past, this study had its limitations and the decreases are probably less today because of a combination of improved surgical repair techniques and rehab protocols, but still relatively high. And those that don't return at all to play in a regular season game, although quoted in the study at 31%, that number still has not probably dropped today below 25%. We unfortunately will not learn much of anything as to what Jamison has to offer or not before the season begins.

thunderkyss
06-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I also want Jones learning behind Myers.

I think the best place for Ben Jones to learn Myers' position is on the field, on Myers' right.

He sees what Chris sees & he's playing against NFL #1s. I'd rather that, than to go through growing pains with a 4 year vet learning how to play against NFL 1st line defenses.

thunderkyss
06-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I remember watching Winston in a preseasson game his rookie year and thinking that he looked like the bigger kid than the rest, sort of like when you are watching pee-wee football, and certain kids just stick out because they are just growed a little more.

Kind of man-among-boys thing?

Rey
06-11-2013, 12:11 AM
I think the best place for Ben Jones to learn Myers' position is on the field, on Myers' right.

He sees what Chris sees & he's playing against NFL #1s. I'd rather that, than to go through growing pains with a 4 year vet learning how to play against NFL 1st line defenses.

Tbh, I want jones and Williams fighting it out for the LG position next year.

I think a line-up of:

Brown
Jones/Williams
Myers
Brooks
Quess

Has a chance to be sick.

And if Meyers moves on when his deal is up:

Brown
Williams
Jones
Brooks
Quess

That would be my ideal scenario at this point.

painekiller
06-11-2013, 01:41 AM

I think a line-up of:

Brown
Jones/Williams
Myers
Brooks
Quess

Has a chance to be sick.

And if Meyers moves on when his deal is up:

Brown
Williams
Jones
Brooks
Quess

That would be my ideal scenario at this point.

IMO it will look more like this: Brown, Quess, Myers, Brooks, Williams or Newton, with the loser of the RT job being the swing guy and Jones being the middle backup.

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 06:44 AM

The left side is your power side. Unless I'm totally wrong about Wade Smith, I can't wrap my head around putting Brooks anywhere but next to DBrown76. & with a lithe Ben Jones mopping up the second level.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2013, 08:07 AM
The left side is your power side. Unless I'm totally wrong about Wade Smith, I can't wrap my head around putting Brooks anywhere but next to DBrown76. & with a lithe Ben Jones mopping up the second level.

From people who do charting, I've been told that from 2006-2011, the Texans were more of a right-handed running team. But that in 2012, the Texans ran more to the left.

I am guessing that is more due to personnel issues.

Rey
06-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Where are you getting the left side being the "power" side? Most teams put their more athletic linemen on the left and the more move bodies type of guys on the right.

The guys on the left are generally facing more athletic defenders like the weak olb or weak side DE. And the guys on the right more often have the TE on their side which means they'll be facing the run stopping defenders.

Teams generally run more to the right which is the side the TE lines up on more often. Generally. There's always exceptions, but for the most part you will see the better run blockers on the right and the more athletic/better pass blockers on the left.

Rey
06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
IMO it will look more like this: Brown, Quess, Myers, Brooks, Williams or Newton, with the loser of the RT job being the swing guy and Jones being the middle backup.

I think quess is going to win the RT job at some point. And IMO he's the best fit for that position. I don't think he's a guard at all. He has tackle written all over him.

IDEXAN
06-11-2013, 08:42 AM
First let me say thanks for your OTA coverage T_C, because for whatever reason it seemed that media access to that aspect of Texans' offseason training this year was more limited than usual and appreciate that you got out info about the sessions.
Now re Quessenberry, I'm still puzzled that he was not drafted until the 6th round because I watched the SenBowl TV coverage of him in practice from Mobile, and he was very impressive and got raves from many including Draft guru Mayoc. And the guy was a multi year LT starter in college, so he can pass-block and with his athleticism (another X-TE) should be a good fit for the Texans ZBS. Would have thought he would be more of a 3rd - 4th round
pick ?

Texans_Chick
06-11-2013, 08:44 AM
It is way too early to analyze future Olines. Or even predict this year's.

The violent nature of the sport often dictates this sort of thing. It did last year. It may this year. The football gods can be brutal.

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Where are you getting the left side being the "power" side? Most teams put their more athletic linemen on the left and the more move bodies type of guys on the right.

The guys on the left are generally facing more athletic defenders like the weak olb or weak side DE. And the guys on the right more often have the TE on their side which means they'll be facing the run stopping defenders.

Teams generally run more to the right which is the side the TE lines up on more often. Generally. There's always exceptions, but for the most part you will see the better run blockers on the right and the more athletic/better pass blockers on the left.

I've no doubt in my mind that Wade Smith (in 2010) was a better run blocker & pass blocker than Mike Briesel. No doubt in my mind that he was (in 2010) less athletic yet stronger.

Though we saw Wade Smith pull & wrap around the RT from time to time, Briesel was the more athletic of the two.

For all I know, that's what we ran with, because that's what Kubiak had. He may've been dreaming of two Wade Smith's this whole time. But I like the idea of having the versatility of having a guy like Briesel/Ben Jones on Myers' right side.

steelbtexan
06-11-2013, 09:42 AM
This would be a risky OL, but here's what I would do at the end of TC, if I saw Williams was healthy and playing well and Quessenberry could be an above avg backup.

Brown, Brooks, Myers, Jones, Williams

Quessenberry would be the main backup and with the $$$$$ saved from cutting W.Smith I would sign Casey Hampton. The risk is that the OL would be real young.

deucetx
06-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm with TC on not worrying about predicting the line at this point. With the injuries, young players that are still unknowns during their development it seems a rather large crap shoot.

But in regards to the power side of the line, Rey is correct. It is generally universal that the right side is your strong side of the line. One, defenses line up their stronger run defenders on that side and those tend to be their strongest, biggest as well. Two, running backs have a comfort level going to their right (right handed ones at least). Three, the left side is generally more athletic due to the fact they will usually face the best pass rushers from the opposition.

Not sure, Thunder, why you thought Brisiel was more athletic than Smith. In categories they were tested Smith beat out Brisiel's numbers in all of them. Meaning 40, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone, broad jump, vertical, etc. He's the more athletic of the two. And in 2010 Brisiel graded to be a better run blocker than Smith and we ran it +17 times at the RG compared to LG.

This is why Jones struggled. His strength is not developed yet to face the stronger DT's on that side. On the left you would face the quicker, 3-tech guys and have to be quick/athletic enough to deal with that and the stunts defensive coaches like to do with those type of players. Right side not as much.

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Brown, Brooks, Myers, Jones, Williams

Risky for sure, because we have no idea how the gimpy Williams will play. But if he does earn that spot over Newton, that's great.

I think we focused too much on the right side of the line last year. The rotations & young players was a big part of that. But I think it took too much attention away from what was happening on the left side. Duane had a really good year, but we didn't see any of the dominating performances he spoiled us with in 2010 & 2011.

I don't think anyway. I don't think it's a cause for much concern, just mentioning, that's all.

Wade Smith, though he played better in 2012 than he did in 2011 I think he was far, far away from what we should expect on this line. He's declining. Specifically in the run game, still a fine pass blocker, but in the run game, we need to get better.

I didn't see Brandon Brooks play better in 2012, but I did see damn fine play & the foundation to be a better player in 2013.

I saw a starter in Ben Jones. A starter at RG. But most of us are looking at our line as if we only need to figure out RG & RT.

I agree with you steelb, we need to figure out LG, RG, & RT

IDEXAN
06-11-2013, 11:50 AM
we have no idea how the gimpy Williams will play.

Isn't this the same guy who just came off of his last season in the last 6 - 10 months in college missing a significant part of the season because of injury ?

Rey
06-11-2013, 11:58 AM
If Brennan Williams is the RT this year, back up QB will be a whole lot more important because Schaub would get killed.

Not sure what you guys are talking about...But RG is pretty much sewn up. That's Brandon Brooks spot.

The positions in Question are RT for this season and LG for future seasons.

The Pencil Neck
06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
If Brennan Williams is the RT this year, back up QB will be a whole lot more important because Schaub would get killed.

Not sure what you guys are talking about...But RG is pretty much sewn up. That's Brandon Brooks spot.

I think that THIS is what Kubiak is hoping, at least for the future:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - Newton/Williams

Quess may or may not beat out Smith this year but I think he's the future at the LG spot... unless he does a great job at RT because Newton/Williams/Harris can't stay healthy. If that happens, then he could be hard to get out of that RT spot.

From what I've seen from Quess, I think he'd make a great RT but early on at the OTAs, they had him at LG.

HOU-TEX
06-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Imo, we're in trouble at RT no matter what. Newton's not healthy and was below average when he was healthy. Quess is a rookie from a small school that has a lot of upside. Williams is a rookie who has only been on the field a couple hours since he's been here. To me, going into camp, RT is Harris' job to lose. And, unless he's vastly improved, it makes me cringe

*BTW, I was just piggy-backin your post. I agree with your comments

Rey
06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I think that THIS is what Kubiak is hoping, at least for the future:

Brown - Quessenberry - Myers - Brooks - Newton/Williams

Quess may or may not beat out Smith this year but I think he's the future at the LG spot... unless he does a great job at RT because Newton/Williams/Harris can't stay healthy. If that happens, then he could be hard to get out of that RT spot.

From what I've seen from Quess, I think he'd make a great RT but early on at the OTAs, they had him at LG.

I think Quess has a good chance of winning the RT spot this year. I don't know how Mondek or the other guy have progressed though, so I can't really say.

What I do know though is that Newton and Williams are both hurt and Williams had quite a few awful moments in pass protection in college.

I don't think Kubiak has any expectations like that. I think he drafts guys he likes and lets things sort themselves out. I think he had mentioned Brandon Brooks as a tackle at one point last year. Ben Jones got a lot og Reps at RG last year.

I believe he tries guys in different spots to see where they fit well. I don't think he's really set on any one thing unless he just believes a guy flat out can't do something.

Rey
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Imo, we're in trouble at RT no matter what. Newton's not healthy and was below average when he was healthy. Quess is a rookie from a small school that has a lot of upside. Williams is a rookie who has only been on the field a couple hours since he's been here. To me, going into camp, RT is Harris' job to lose. And, unless he's vastly improved, it makes me cringe

*BTW, I was just piggy-backin your post. I agree with your comments

I agree with that. I don't know how much it's going to adversely affect us, but right now RT is definitely the weak link. Not that we know Brooks is going to be a beast at RG, but just the nature of the position and the fact that Brooks played well at the end of last year makes me feel a little better about him at RG than ???? at RT.

HOU-TEX
06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree with that. I don't know how much it's going to adversely affect us, but right now RT is definitely the weak link. Not that we know Brooks is going to be a beast at RG, but just the nature of the position and the fact that Brooks played well at the end of last year makes me feel a little better about him at RG than ???? at RT.

Agreed! And if it weren't for a few MAs he would've been really good. I think he's going to take a huge step this season and be the full time starter. I can't stand it when Kubiak has a rotation going with an oline position. Especially running the ZBS where the oline works as one.

No more rotations, please! Choose your RT in camp and go with him

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Agreed! And if it weren't for a few MAs he would've been really good. I think he's going to take a huge step this season and be the full time starter. I can't stand it when Kubiak has a rotation going with an oline position. Especially running the ZBS where the oline works as one.

No more rotations, please! Choose your RT in camp and go with him

We started last season with Caldwell at RG & Butler at RT. When they both got hurt, our depth suddenly dissipated. Ben Jones surprised everyone & started early. However, like all young players struggled to maintain focus & perform at his best down after down, series after series.

The rotation had nothing to do with not being able to decide on who he wanted his RG or RT to be. It was about maintaining a level of consistency of play.

To me, it doesn't make sense to "waste" a year (2012) on getting one player ready. We know there's going to be a drop off when we bring a new player into the line, unless we get a blue chip player, which isn't going to happen [for one, we'll never select in the top 10 again, :fingers crossed:] then waste another (2013) year to bring someone in at LG. Get them both up to speed in 2012 & kick some doors in in 2013.

I think Ben Jones will be our RG, he did a good job at that position for a rookie. Brandon Brooks will be our LG.

drs23
06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I think Ben Jones will be our RG, he did a good job at that position for a rookie. Brandon Brooks will be our LG.

I didn't try to find the quote but Kubiak said during OTAs that Brandon Brooks was the starting RG. When did that change? I haven't heard nor read about it.

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
I didn't try to find the quote but Kubiak said during OTAs that Brandon Brooks was the starting RG. When did that change? I haven't heard nor read about it.

At the time, I'm sure that was true. No Ben Jones, someone has to play RG. Reporters are going to ask stupid questions, he answers the most economic way possible.

We'll see who the starting RG is come week one.

PreSeason may not tell us a lot either. Remember before 2010, Wade Smith played with the second group as much as the first. We didn't know he was our starting LG until Game 1.

ChampionTexan
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
At the time, I'm sure that was true. No Ben Jones, someone has to play RG. Reporters are going to ask stupid questions, he answers the most economic way possible.

Not sure what you're talking about - I'm pretty certain Ben Jones fully participated in all OTA's

Rey
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM

PreSeason may not tell us a lot either. Remember before 2010, Wade Smith played with the second group as much as the first. We didn't know he was our starting LG until Game 1.

TK, I think you are waaaaay off base.

Brooks is the starting RG. He'll be the starting RG.

Rey
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM

Brandon Brooks has been working with the first team since the beginning of OTAs.

But on Thursday, head coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that Brooks is the team's starting right guard, at least for now.

“He’s right there. That’s his," Kubiak said. "He’s got to line up every day and earn it. I think he worked through it last year and at the end of last year I think he was playing that way so I think he’s earned the opportunity to be that guy, so we’ll see if he can hang on.”

“It’s been really good. The biggest thing is any time you’ve got a young player and you say, OK, you’re a starter.’ The best thing you can have happen is that you don’t really notice him. And that’s kind of what’s happened," Kubiak said. "He went in there, he’s done his job. He understands what we’re doing now. He’s got the tools of a big-time player. So it will all just be up to him. He’s come a long way. I think he’s very comfortable in his own skin right now in what he’s doing and feeling good about himself.”

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/ota-notes-rg-brooks-lose

HOU-TEX
06-11-2013, 02:23 PM
We started last season with Caldwell at RG & Butler at RT. When they both got hurt, our depth suddenly dissipated. Ben Jones surprised everyone & started early. However, like all young players struggled to maintain focus & perform at his best down after down, series after series.

The rotation had nothing to do with not being able to decide on who he wanted his RG or RT to be. It was about maintaining a level of consistency of play.

To me, it doesn't make sense to "waste" a year (2012) on getting one player ready. We know there's going to be a drop off when we bring a new player into the line, unless we get a blue chip player, which isn't going to happen [for one, we'll never select in the top 10 again, :fingers crossed:] then waste another (2013) year to bring someone in at LG. Get them both up to speed in 2012 & kick some doors in in 2013.

Honestly, I don't agree with one thing you stated here. Caldwell and Jones were both getting time at RG before Caldwell's injury. Butler lost the RT job to Newton before Butler's injury. Harris was then signed and the rotation began shortly thereafter. I like Jones as our future center, but he was very bad while at RG so I'm not sure what you're watching.

Rey
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Honestly, I don't agree with one thing you stated here. Caldwell and Jones were both getting time at RG before Caldwell's injury. Butler lost the RT job to Newton before Butler's injury. Harris was then signed and the rotation began shortly thereafter. I like Jones as our future center, but he was very bad while at RG so I'm not sure what you're watching.

I don't know if TK remembers, but that whole right side was up for competition all rhrough camp and pre season.

It had looked like Newton beat Butler out towards the end of pre season. I believe Butler got hurt playing with the back ups and guys that weren't going to make the team.

I don't ever remember guys being entrenched over there last season.

deucetx
06-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I don't know if TK remembers, but that whole right side was up for competition all rhrough camp and pre season.

It had looked like Newton beat Butler out towards the end of pre season. I believe Butler got hurt playing with the back ups and guys that weren't going to make the team.

Yeah just like you and HOU stated. Butler got injured in the final preseason game but Newton was named the starter after the third game. It added up to being one horrible week for Butler. First you lose the starting job then you get injured. :vincepalm:

Jones began splitting with Caldwell in week 2 after Kubiak stated he was not happy with the running production against the Dolphins in game 1.

HOU-TEX
06-11-2013, 02:43 PM

Newton was named the starter after the 3rd preseason game. A week before Butler's torn tricep. But you're right, they were never really entrenched because they didn't play worth a crap. Hence the rotation.

Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on who was named as the starter for right tackle) Yeah, I named (T Derek) Newton the starter this morning. Looking at the body of work, I think it was very, very close, as I told yall all along. I think the thing that has moved this toward Newton is watching his progress, watching where he was the end of last year going to the offseason, going thru camp, watching him get better and better and better. Did a good job the other night. Young player that we thinks ascending. We know that theres a lot of things hes got to clean up, but we think hes definitely committed to doing that, just like the way hes progressed. So well give him an opportunity to do it. Big responsibility but we think hes ready for it.

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Not sure what you're talking about - I'm pretty certain Ben Jones fully participated in all OTA's

I'm pretty sure he's playing center with the second team.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2013, 03:36 PM

As Kubiak has discussed in quotes, Brandon Brooks working as starting RG throughout OTAs. Wade Smith on other side.

With vets being out today because they aren't doing on the field time during minicamp, Kubiak said nice things about Quessenberry after I asked a question about him. He is working at RT.

He said Brennan Williams had a knee clean out thing (non-specified but we knew that) and isn't expected before training camp. Really wants him to work on his conditioning.

ChampionTexan
06-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Because that's what they do in OTA's with the player they intend to be starting RG?

thunderkyss
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Because that's what they do in OTA's with the player they intend to be starting RG?

Why not, you've got your starting OLB playing Mo.......

Corrosion
06-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Jones was the scout team center much of last season ... also I was told that he played some center in the OTA's when the veterans were rested.

Rey
06-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Why not, you've got your starting OLB playing Mo.......

Because of injuries/guys missing...

And also the fact that he could end up actually starting there. And they can afford to do that because he's gotten a lot of experience at OLB and they feel like if he has to go back there, he won't miss a beat.

The situation is completely different.

DocBar
06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
As Kubiak has discussed in quotes, Brandon Brooks working as starting RG throughout OTAs. Wade Smith on other side.

With vets being out today because they aren't doing on the field time during minicamp, Kubiak said nice things about Quessenberry after I asked a question about him. He is working at RT.

He said Brennan Williams had a knee clean out thing (non-specified but we knew that) and isn't expected before training camp. Really wants him to work on his conditioning.So the knee tweak that didn't need surgery ended up needing surgery? :scarygirl:

Texans_Chick
06-11-2013, 09:50 PM
So the knee tweak that didn't need surgery ended up needing surgery? :scarygirl:

Williams mentioned the clean out stuff last week. Kubiak confirmed today but was totally non-specific because he didn't know specifics.

DocBar
06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Williams mentioned the clean out stuff last week. Kubiak confirmed today but was totally non-specific because he didn't know specifics. sigh....this kind of stuff gets old. It's almost like Kubes is trying to be a baby Belichik. Just report what there is to report, especially at this time of year.

CloakNNNdagger
06-11-2013, 10:42 PM
So the knee tweak that didn't need surgery ended up needing surgery? :scarygirl:

Remember, following the evaluation of Williams, Kubiak reported that his "injury which will not require surgery" and I posted that was skeptical of the extent of the injury, especially after he did not return quickly for OTAs? Logic and experience has primed me to anticipate situations just like this. My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.

IDEXAN
06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
When a player earns all-conference honors from coaches in a league as talented as the ACC despite missing half of the season, it is pretty fair indication that NFL scouts should be paying attention.

That is precisely the scenario with UNC's Williams, who missed the final four games of his senior season with a torn labrum which required surgery but still managed to earn honorable mention accolades from league coaches.

Williams became a full-time starter last season as a junior in Chapel Hill and started the first eight games of the 2012 campaign. He finished his collegiate career with 22 career starts, all coming at right tackle.

Williams' father, Brent, had an 11-year NFL career (1986-1993) at defensive end, spending time with the New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks and New York Jets. Normally the recovery time from labrum surgery is anywhere from two-to-six months depending on the severity of the tear, which could potentially keep Williams out of some pre-draft workouts.

Blessed with great size and athleticism, Williams' injury may keep him from garnering the attention of other talented offensive tackles in the 2013 draft class from media but rest assured that NFL scouts know his name well and will be keeping close tabs on his recovery.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664351/brennan-williams
Clearly talented, but just as clearly injury-prone, getting healthy and then in condition to play appear to be a big challenge for this guy as we head towards the start of training-camp beginning late next month.

Rey
06-11-2013, 11:27 PM
I want to see Williams play. In college he was an amazing run blocker that looked to absolutely destroy opponents. Dude is nasty on the field.

DocBar
06-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Remember, following the evaluation of Williams, Kubiak reported that his "injury which will not require surgery" and I posted that was skeptical of the extent of the injury, especially after he did not return quickly for OTAs? Logic and experience has primed me to anticipate situations just like this. My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.You just need to keep posting what you post, Dr. You're excellent at it and an absolute boon to Texans fans. If there was a "Most Important Fan" category, you'd be the perennial winner.

As a veteran of many surgeries, I definitely defer to the "only minor surgery is one you don't have" school of thought. I'm 43 and almost a cripple on some days.

God bless you for all you do, CND.

TejasTom
06-16-2013, 08:22 AM
... My injury posts may appear cynical to some, but they are based on available facts and what the natural progression and realistic prognosis of the apparent injuries are most likely to be.........with a tincture of repeated "minor injuries, " minor surgeries," and "ahead of schedule" dancing in the back of my head.........at the same time trying to avoid the fool's paradise that I may want to experience as a fan.

You just need to keep posting what you post, Dr. ...

The above part should just be CNDs sig.

Maddict5
06-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I want to see Williams play. In college he was an amazing run blocker that looked to absolutely destroy opponents. Dude is nasty on the field.

what draft analyst said he was a finesse blocker that needs to develop toughness when he was picked?

Rey
06-18-2013, 08:52 AM
what draft analyst said he was a finesse blocker that needs to develop toughness when he was picked?

I have no clue.

CloakNNNdagger
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM

I have no clue.

Every scouting report I've seen on Williams wrote that he was an athletic "FINESSE" pass blocker perfect for a zone blocking system with extreme aggressiveness on run blocking. Some questioned his consistency of having his heart in football.........but not his toughness while in the game.

mussop
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
No coach is perfect. I think he is gambling with Mitchell and the NT position as a whole and there is a better than good chance that its going to backfire on him.

This whole "the NT comes out on passing downs" craze is just plain silly. Did Jay Ratliff come out on passing downs? I guarantee you if Wade had a really good NT he wouldn't come out on passing downs. The fact that Wade pulls them here just shows that our NT's (Cody and Mitchell) are nothing more than serviceable.

He'll Mitchell 's best attribute is supposed to be his ability to penetrate. Yet he comes out on passing downs. You guys drink your Mitchell juice all you want. I'm going to wait till be shows me something consistently in games before I stop worrying about the middle of our defense.

Well so far I he is what I thought he was. Filler.

RagingBull
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Well so far I he is what I thought he was. Filler.

Well, at this point, the OLB's, ILB's, and safeties are also just filler, so I'm not sure that having a good nose tackle would make any real difference.