PDA

View Full Version : June cuts Texans interested in?

badboy
05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Any players you think Texans may be interested in June 1st?
Any Texans you think might be cut?

Texn4life
05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I would expect for a Veteran corner to be brought in. Don't know if it'll be a cut casualty or a free agent still out there, but it would surprise me if that didn't happen.

Dutchrudder
05-13-2013, 04:55 PM
There are plenty of guys still out there that could help this team. I'd be looking for vets that will agree to a minimum deal to come have a chance at a ring. Guys like:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

You know, someone that can play NT or rotate in on 3rd downs. I think we really lack depth there. I would also like to see another DB and LB added.

drs23
05-13-2013, 07:05 PM
There are plenty of guys still out there that could help this team. I'd be looking for vets that will agree to a minimum deal to come have a chance at a ring. Guys like:

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

You know, someone that can play NT or rotate in on 3rd downs. I think we really lack depth there. I would also like to see another DB and LB added.

I don't think it's just me but we NEED to shore up the ILB core. Perhaps just coachspeak as has been pointed out prior about not moving BR inside but something has to be done or we're right back to where we were last season. IMHO

ObsiWan
05-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

Do you REALLY think Seymour or Ellis or Hampton will play for vet min?? I have my doubts.

Nawzer
05-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I don't think it's just me but we NEED to shore up the ILB core. Perhaps just coachspeak as has been pointed out prior about not moving BR inside but something has to be done or we're right back to where we were last season. IMHO

The linebacking corp is the weakest spot on this team imo. We're counting on Cushing to be 100% which is in all likelihood not realistic given the severity of his injury. We don't know who's going to lineup next to him yet. And if it's someone like Sharpton well enjoy watching him get run over or beat in the passing game. Tim Dobbins is a nice backup, but he's just that: a backup and nothing more. The OLB situation is unsettled as well with Whitney Mercilus the only guaranteed starter and even then I'm not sure if he's ready to be a starter yet. Brooks Reed had an uneven year so he's a bit of a question mark too and who knows where he'll line up??? We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders who will get significant playing time at the OLB positions even though they have limited to no experience playing those positions. All in all, it's a pretty worrisome picture for a team that runs the 3-4 defense (or some version of it at least) and it doesn't inspire any hope in me that this team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

badboy
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I am watching those known FAs still out there but was hoping more for someone I have missed that is on a team that has a solid young vet who would move to starter with maybe a draft pick of some renown as back up allowing team to cut the starter from last season. I do not know the other rosters well at all and hoped you guys may have identified some possibilities.

steelbtexan
05-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Bring Hampton Home,

He probably wont be signed until after the 2nd game of the yr. (Like Pollard) So they dont have to garuntee his contract. I dont know if the Texans have enough cap space to sign any FA's vet minimum or not.

infantrycak
05-13-2013, 10:33 PM
I am watching those known FAs still out there but was hoping more for someone I have missed that is on a team that has a solid young vet who would move to starter with maybe a draft pick of some renown as back up allowing team to cut the starter from last season. I do not know the other rosters well at all and hoped you guys may have identified some possibilities.

Desmond Bishop is rumored to be on the trade block.

SW H-TOWN
05-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Desmond bishop, period.

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2013, 10:52 PM
The linebacking corp is the weakest spot on this team imo. We're counting on Cushing to be 100% which is in all likelihood not realistic given the severity of his injury. We don't know who's going to lineup next to him yet. And if it's someone like Sharpton well enjoy watching him get run over or beat in the passing game. Tim Dobbins is a nice backup, but he's just that: a backup and nothing more. The OLB situation is unsettled as well with Whitney Mercilus the only guaranteed starter and even then I'm not sure if he's ready to be a starter yet. Brooks Reed had an uneven year so he's a bit of a question mark too and who knows where he'll line up??? We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders who will get significant playing time at the OLB positions even though they have limited to no experience playing those positions. All in all, it's a pretty worrisome picture for a team that runs the 3-4 defense (or some version of it at least) and it doesn't inspire any hope in me that this team is a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Cushing is certainly not a given..........and Sharpton will be lucky to be medically cleared sometime during training camp..........after that, with the combination of his type of prior injuries and surgeries, we may find that the spit, bubble gum and Elmer's glue holding him together may not work very long once he finds his way back onto the field. We need TWO additional reliable ILBs to allow for the "ifs" that haunt this squad. Brooks MAY be one.......we don't even know that for sure. What I do know is that if the Texans maintain an air of false security at that position by taking for granted that the old Cushing and the new Sharpton are going to be "there" when they need them, it could be a very long season for the D.

badboy
05-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Desmond Bishop is rumored to be on the trade block.Ok, great, this is what I am looking for.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10635/desmond-bishop

2010 & 2011 very good stats & supposedly ready for this season after hammy and 28 YOA $3.5m for '13 & '14.

Do we have anything to trade?

jppaul
05-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Ok, great, this is what I am looking for.

2010 & 2011 very good stats & supposedly ready for this season after hammy and 28 YOA $3.5m for '13 & '14.

Ben Tate? Isn't he a ufa after this year?

SW H-TOWN
05-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Ok, great, this is what I am looking for.

Draft picks or wait until he is cut. The Packers are having a hard time finding a trade partner so they would probably take a lower draft pick than one would think. Everybody knows that he will be cut because they will save over 3 million in cap space. The Packers signed Brad Jones to a 3 year 11.75m contract so Bishop is gone. We need to get this guy.

SW H-TOWN
05-14-2013, 01:57 AM
Here is what I wrote the have the Texan found their ILB thread, the first 2 options are why should look at option 3.

Now we have 3 options. Move Reed inside and play a rookie and 2nd year player at the OLB positions, keep Reed outside and have Dobbins play inside, or sign an ILB and keep Reed outside. IMO the best case scenario is to sign Desmond Bishop. The Packers are trying to trade Bishop and will cut him if they can't trade him because I believe they will save over 3 million against the cap. Hope we pull a Daryl Morey and make it happen. Desmond Bishop would be a great move.

Here is an article that explains his situation and why he will be cut, except for what they will save against the cap.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/30/4286810/packers-desmond-bishop-price-high

ubecool454
05-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

on your list the only one that I would want is Richard Seymour.

Texn4life
05-14-2013, 03:14 AM
on your list the only one that I would want is Richard Seymour.

You would want Seymour to be a backup? He wouldn't come here to sit behind Watt and Smith. The only starter on that list is Hampton and he would be a situational player as well. The difference is he wants to play here, and no one knows what Seymour wants to do.

I'd be good with having Bishop come here at the right price, and I think I'd even sign Jason Allen to come back on a 1 year deal. If we could somehow get those 2 guys with Hampton I would be on cloud 9.

ArlingtonTexan
05-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Is June even still an important cut date? Seems once they allowed teams to designate a player as a June 1 cut, that nothing interesting happens any more.

badboy
05-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Ben Tate? Isn't he a ufa after this year?

Unless one of our UDFA (I am rooting for Cierre Wood) lays claim, I'm think we hold on to Tate. Despite his injuries, he has proven what he can do when on the field + he is cheap. IMO, we need to take some work load off Foster.

steelbtexan
05-14-2013, 10:20 AM
I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?

badboy
05-14-2013, 10:21 AM
2010 & 2011 were very good for him but TBH I forgot about him when he was injured in preseason. He is 28 YOA I think. This is why I started thread in order that we can discuss players like this. If healthy, in this defense, he could do extremely well and fill a hole.

What's the opinion, is it better for Texans to trade a '14 pick and get him or hope he will sign for us IF another team does not trade?

badboy
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?We are at about $4m under without the draft picks but there are contracts we can adjust. Bishop's next two years avg about $3.5m base.

HOU-TEX
05-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Is June even still an important cut date? Seems once they allowed teams to designate a player as a June 1 cut, that nothing interesting happens any more.

Nope, hasn't been for a while now

srrono
05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I would love for the Texans to bring in Bishop and Hampton. The Question is how do they clear the cap space to make it happen? Ideas?

OG's Brooks & Jones become starters and then Smith cuts Wade Smith. This move saves I think 2,250,000 is that enough to sign both?

badboy
05-14-2013, 11:18 AM
OG's Brooks & Jones become starters and then Smith cuts Wade Smith. This move saves I think 2,250,000 is that enough to sign both?maybe Hamilton but no way it signs Bishop, imo.

76Texan
05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Once the Texans sign all their draft picks and pare down to the 53-man roster, they will have approximately $1.7M in cap space according to my estimation (using the firgures from spotrac.)

When they sign a FA, they would need to cut a player, freeing up an additional $500K (a lowly regarded player at the bottom of the salary structure.)

Cutting Wade Smith would free up $3M in cap space, according to spotrac.
The available cap space would then be $5.2M

Bishop's contract will require roughly $4M in 2013.
Hampton took a pay cut last year; he earned some $2.8M.
He may take even less this year.

On the surface, it looks like the Texans don't have enough to sign both;
However, if they rework Bishop's contract (with an extension perhaps), they can fit both under the cap - if all the figures from spotrac are true.

badboy
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Once the Texans sign all their draft picks and pare down to the 53-man roster, they will have approximately $1.7M in cap space according to my estimation (using the firgures from spotrac.)

When they sign a FA, they would need to cut a player, freeing up an additional $500K (a lowly regarded player at the bottom of the salary structure.)

Cutting Wade Smith would free up $3M in cap space, according to spotrac.
The available cap space would then be $5.2M

Bishop's contract will require roughly $4M in 2013.
Hampton took a pay cut last year; he earned some $2.8M.
He may take even less this year.

On the surface, it looks like the Texans don't have enough to sign both;
However, if they rework Bishop's contract (with an extension perhaps), they can fit both under the cap - if all the figures from spotrac are true.

I'd be surprised if both Jones and Brandon Brooks start. I just don't see Smith leaving, if nothing else he remains as a back up.

Bishop's salary per Spotrac: $3,464,000 with an incentive bonus of $300k and work out bonus of $200k that may or not be part of a reworked contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/

Texn4life
05-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Well Marvin McNutt was released by the Eagles today. He's a guy I know a few fans on here wanted as early as the third round last year. Worth bringing in for a look?

76Texan
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Well Marvin McNutt was released by the Eagles today. He's a guy I know a few fans on here wanted as early as the third round last year. Worth bringing in for a look?

Late round 4th-6th for me.
Yes, bring him in, I agree!

badboy
05-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Well Marvin McNutt was released by the Eagles today. He's a guy I know a few fans on here wanted as early as the third round last year. Worth bringing in for a look?Some stats:
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcnutt_marvin00.html

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marvin-mcnutt?id=2532909

I think he is a project but excellent size/speed ratio.

Weaknesses McNutt can struggle when running routes across the middle. There are consistency and effort issues when blocking and running decoy routes that aren't intended to him, and he can struggle off the line if he isn't decisive and powerful with his first step.

Nawzer
05-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Cushing is certainly not a given..........and Sharpton will be lucky to be medically cleared sometime during training camp..........after that, with the combination of his type of prior injuries and surgeries, we may find that the spit, bubble gum and Elmer's glue holding him together may not work very long once he finds his way back onto the field. We need TWO additional reliable ILBs to allow for the "ifs" that haunt this squad. Brooks MAY be one.......we don't even know that for sure. What I do know is that if the Texans maintain an air of false security at that position by taking for granted that the old Cushing and the new Sharpton are going to be "there" when they need them, it could be a very long season for the D.

Agree completely.

mmwest
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM

No, we are fine at receiver. ILB and both OL and DL seem to be the needs.
It's time to make decisions on both Harris and Carmichael. High draft picks and no production from either one of em.

steelbtexan
05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd be surprised if both Jones and Brandon Brooks start. I just don't see Smith leaving, if nothing else he remains as a back up.

Bishop's salary per Spotrac: $3,464,000 with an incentive bonus of $300k and work out bonus of $200k that may or not be part of a reworked contract.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap-hit/

Losing W.Smith so that the middle of the defense can be fortified. Sign me up for that. The defense would be complete.

I would do this even if it meant also cutting Dobbins. This is the price you pay for the absurd Schaub contract.

badboy
05-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Losing W.Smith so that the middle of the defense can be fortified. Sign me up for that. The defense would be complete.

I would do this even if it meant also cutting Dobbins. This is the price you pay for the absurd Schaub contract.You want to weaken Schaub's blind side to strengthen ILB? uh oh. Brooks should be able to plug RT but think probably not LG but if he could then I am on your side. I think Q or Williams could play adequate at RG but the other side concerns me if Smith is cut.

I disagree on Schaubs contract but do hope we can replace him 2015.

ChampionTexan
05-15-2013, 03:52 PM
I would do this even if it meant also cutting Dobbins. This is the price you pay for the absurd Schaub contract.

Dobbins is making the veteran minimum. Unless you simply chose not to replace him - and carry one less LB - the most you could save by releasing him is $150,000 and that would be replacing him with a rookie. If you replaced him with a player with two years or more in the league, the best you could hope to do is break even.

76Texan
05-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Dobbins is making the veteran minimum. Unless you simply chose not to replace him - and carry one less LB - the most you could save by releasing him is $150,000 and that would be replacing him with a rookie. If you replaced him with a player with two years or more in the league, the best you could hope to do is break even.

I think what Steelb meant is that if we need to pay for a guy like Bishop, he would be OK with letting Dobbins go for any saving at all to keep the team under the cap.

Personally, I think I would part with Sharpton first (even though I like him), 'cause it's difficult to project injury.

badboy
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
There are players to cut like Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m that get you Bishop and all would be replaced with draft picks or roster back ups.

ChampionTexan
05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
I think what Steelb meant is that if we need to pay for a guy like Bishop, he would be OK with letting Dobbins go for any saving at all to keep the team under the cap.

Personally, I think I would part with Sharpton first (even though I like him), 'cause it's difficult to project injury.

And my point is that unless you're willing to go with one fewer ILB's on the roster, the only way there's any savings is if he's replaced by rookie or 1 year player who can be signed for the minimum with no bonus. Considering the only ILB's we currently have on the roster who have ever played in a RS NFL game are Cushing, Dobbins, and Sharpton, and two of those guys are making the veteran minimum, it just seems like it would be better/easier to find another way to generate that $150,000 (at most) savings.

Note: obviously for this purpose I was ignoring the possiblity of Reed (or anyone else) moving to ILB, although that's also a possibility.

ChampionTexan
05-15-2013, 05:28 PM
There are players to cut like Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m that get you Bishop and all would be replaced with draft picks or roster back ups.

And the minimum cost of those 6 replacements (assuming rookie minimum salaries with no bonuses) is $2,250,000 meaning you've saved less than $1 million. Ignoring the wisdom (or lack thereof) of letting those particular guys go, I don't believe the $910,000 of net cap room you've generated is enough to bring in Bishop.

badboy
05-15-2013, 05:29 PM
I'd like to see Bishop & Cushing backed by Dobbins, Brahman, Tuggle and occasionally Reed.

bckey
05-15-2013, 05:47 PM
What do you guys think about the 2 dl cuts this week by the Patriots? Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love. Both were decent and could provide depth.

badboy
05-15-2013, 05:55 PM
And the minimum cost of those 6 replacements (assuming rookie minimum salaries with no bonuses) is $2,250,000 meaning you've saved less than $1 million. Ignoring the wisdom (or lack thereof) of letting those particular guys go, I don't believe the $910,000 of net cap room you've generated is enough to bring in Bishop.
No additional cost as replaced by players already on team.

Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m

Cut Clutts replaced by Greg Jones
McGee replaced by no one as only MS & Yates on final roster.
Mondek replaced by draft pick Q
Harris replaced by draft pick Chris Jones
Gardner replaced by draft pick B. Williams

There is cap money alloted for draft picks & these cuts would allow Bishop to replace Sharpton.

ChampionTexan
05-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Sharpton (.5m), Clutts (.5m), McGee (.63m), Mondek (.4m), Rashon Harris (.48m), Gardner (.65m) =$3.16m

There is cap money alloted for draft picks & these cuts would allow Bishop to replace Sharpton.

The cap amount consists of only the top 53 paid players once the season starts (right now it's the top 51). If you get rid of six players, you're down to 47, and then you add the six new cheap(er) players (Along with their salaries).

76Texan
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
What do you guys think about the 2 dl cuts this week by the Patriots? Brandon Deaderick and Kyle Love. Both were decent and could provide depth.

Love was diagnosed with type II Diabetes; I don't know if teams want to take some risk with big guys.
Deadrick was already claimed by the Jags.

badboy
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM
The cap amount consists of only the top 53 paid players once the season starts (right now it's the top 51). If you get rid of six players, you're down to 47, and then you add the six new cheap(er) players (Along with their salaries).Exactly what I am saying. We have 51 roster cap players. Clutts salary is replaced by Jones & as both are already figured in to cap, Clutts saves $555K. As of Weds texans were $3.266m under cap. You can use that for either Bishop (or another player) or rookie cap OR you can use the money saved with my cuts for either Bishop or rookie cap. We still have a bit over $3m to offer a FA and still sign draft picks.

ChampionTexan
05-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Exactly what I am saying. We have 51 roster cap players. Clutts salary is replaced by Jones & as both are already figured in to cap, Clutts saves $555K. As of Weds texans were $3.266m under cap. You can use that for either Bishop (or another player) or rookie cap OR you can use the money saved with my cuts for either Bishop or rookie cap. We still have a bit over $3m to offer a FA and still sign draft picks.

If Jones's salary is already figured in to the cap, how can it replace Clutts? That would leave us with only the top 50 players.

And before you say - well, we're adding Bishop, then please explain how we replace the other 5 players you mentioned cutting in order to make room for Bishop's contract.

badboy
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
If Jones's salary is already figured in to the cap, how can it replace Clutts? That would leave us with only the top 50 players.

And before you say - well, we're adding Bishop, then please explain how we replace the other 5 players you mentioned cutting in order to make room for Bishop's contract.I think I did this at post #42. Let me reword that Jones replaces Clutts on field & Jones $1m is already counted against cap; no increased cost. Clutts leaves saving $555,000 that no longer counts against cap. Both players right now impact cap by $1.555 million. Subtract $555,000 (Clutts being cut). Let's say for cap purpose only BEFORE signing draft picks we cut the following 6 resulting in a savings of $3.16 million. We have a space of $3. 464 (Weds) + this new savings of $3.16 = $6.624 million. We then sign Bishop for $3m for 2013. (longer contract needed but just to show 2013 cap costs). $6.624 - 3 = $3.624 left for draft guys. Once Bishop signs he is starter on field replacing Sharpton. McGee does not require a player replacement as we go with same QBs as last season. Final three players are replaced with draft picks when signed.

Post #42:

ChampionTexan
05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
I think I did this at post #42. Let me reword that Jones replaces Clutts on field & Jones $1m is already counted against cap; no increased cost. Clutts leaves saving $555,000 that no longer counts against cap. Both players right now impact cap by $1.555 million. Subtract $555,000 (Clutts being cut). Let's say for cap purpose only BEFORE signing draft picks we cut the following 6 resulting in a savings of $3.16 million. We have a space of $3. 464 (Weds) + this new savings of $3.16 = $6.624 million. We then sign Bishop for $3m for 2013. (longer contract needed but just to show 2013 cap costs). $6.624 - 3 = $3.624 left for draft guys. Once Bishop signs he is starter on field replacing Sharpton. McGee does not require a player replacement as we go with same QBs as last season. Final three players are replaced with draft picks when signed.

Post #42:

I'll ask this as simply as I can.

We currently have 51 players who's total salary leaves us $3.464 Million under the cap. You've suggested getting rid of 6 players making $3.16M and replacing them with Bishop at an even $3M. This leaves us $3.624M under the cap, but that number only reflects 46 players (51-6+1).

Because the league will now count the next highest 5 paid players (and the minimum salary is $375k), please explain how that $3.624 Million isn't reduced by at least $1.875M ($375k x 5) to $1.794M.

badboy
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I'll ask this as simply as I can.

We currently have 51 players who's total salary leaves us $3.464 Million under the cap. You've suggested getting rid of 6 players making $3.16M and replacing them with Bishop at an even $3M. This leaves us $3.624M under the cap, but that number only reflects 46 players (51-6+1).

Because the league will now count the next highest 5 paid players (and the minimum salary is $375k), please explain how that $3.624 Million isn't reduced by at least $1.875M ($375k x 5) to $1.794M.Would you agree that Bishop cancels out Clutts as one of the 51?

1. Sharpton's $674K should be more than cancelled by Hopkins.
2. Our second round pick should equal Gardner's $650k as Posey (3rd round) was $561K in 2012. Then add slight increase for new year.
3. Our third round should equal McGee's $630 as Brooks (3rd round) in 2012 was $545K then add slight increase for new year.

4. Rashon Harris $480K is more than equaled by our 4th rounder as Ben Jones cap for 2012 was $510K then add slight increase for new year adjustment.

5. Mondek $405 K is replaced by our 5th rounder as Bullock's cap for 2012 was $434K. Then add slight increase for new year.

All of these will be over the minimum.

ChampionTexan
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Would you agree that Bishop cancels out Clutts as one of the 51?

1. Sharpton's $674K should be more than cancelled by Hopkins.
2. Our second round pick should equal Gardner's $650k as Posey (3rd round) was $561K in 2012. Then add slight increase for new year.
3. Our third round should equal McGee's $630 as Brooks (3rd round) in 2012 was $545K then add slight increase for new year.

4. Rashon Harris $480K is more than equaled by our 4th rounder as Ben Jones cap for 2012 was $510K then add slight increase for new year adjustment.

5. Mondek $405 K is replaced by our 5th rounder as Bullock's cap for 2012 was $434K. Then add slight increase for new year.

All of these will be over the minimum.

Here's the comparison of what you're proposing and essentially doing nothing (and for now I'm deferring the discussion of Bishop):

If we cut the six players you mentioned, we save $3.16 million in cap space. We then add the first six draft picks (I'm assuming the three 6th round picks will have no impact on the cap as they are likely signed for the minimum with no bonus). Based on a small adjustment (2%) to the contracts of the players taken at the same spots in the 2012 draft, it's reasonable to assume those six players will take $4.1M in cap space once signed. Since you've let 6 players representing $3.16M in cap space go, the net cap space used to sign the draft class is $.94M leaving us $2.684 in cap space (3.624-.94). This will also leave us 6 open spots on the 90 man training camp roster, and they will have to be filled with players making the rookie minimum in order to avoid increasing the cap amount.

If we do nothing, once the top six picks are signed, the contracts currently representing spots 45-51 in the cap calculation will simply drop off, and be replaced by the 6 rookie contracts. This means that $2.43M (6 x $405,000*) will drop off, and the $4.1M will take it's place creating a net use of cap space of $1.67M or less than $1M more than your suggestion. Our remaining cap space is now $1.954M (3.624-1.67).

Essentially, if we're to sign Bishop at a $3M cap hit in year one, your plan gives us just enough cap room (assuming he replaces a rookie minimum contract in the top 51, and we need to generate around $700K under the do nothing plan. We can't forget that we're going to need some additional space to cover any players that may end up on IR, and the two additional spots that will be included in the cap calculation once the regular season starts.

Even though I abhor the idea of kicking the salary cap can down the road, there's any number of players who could easily restructure and create more than that amount in cap space, and I'd rather play kick the can (for a small amount) than take away all 6 players you mentioned for less than $1 million in net salary cap relief.

(*) In a previous post I referred to the rookie minimum amount as $375,000. That's the 2011 amount - $405,000 is the 2013 amount.

badboy
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Anyone hearing anything on possible cuts we would be interested in? June first is Saturday.

badboy
06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/8497639

But the list is short, and it's short because most of the dirty work has been done. A recent study of NFL teams revealed that nearly three-fourths of the clubs have at least $1.6 million in cap room, which means don't look for any unexpected bombs.

PapaL
06-03-2013, 04:30 PM

But the list is short, and it's short because most of the dirty work has been done. A recent study of NFL teams revealed that nearly three-fourths of the clubs have at least $1.6 million in cap room, which means don't look for any unexpected bombs.

Recent? That article is from May 23, 2005 and is talking about Johnny Morton being cut.

This Johnny Morton: http://youtu.be/mniHJAQmNG8

ArlingtonTexan
06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-declining-significance-of-June-1.html

Once teams were allowed to designate players as June 1 cuts before June 1...this date has had relative low importance in terms on new players hitting the market.

Lucky
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Recent? That article is from May 23, 2005 and is talking about Johnny Morton being cut.

Don't tell Wade that Michael Barrow is available. He'll probably want to put him in the starting lineup.

badboy
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM

This Johnny Morton: http://youtu.be/mniHJAQmNG8

The purpose of the link was to show why not too many notable players available at this date. It gets fewer and fewer annually.

Steal Your Face
06-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Casey Hampton
Justin Bannan
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Richard Seymour

Richard Seymour will not go anywhere for a minimum deal. He is all about the $$$$$.

Doppelganger
06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
I imagine the Texans are looking for a veteran Safety, ILB, and RT.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I would LOVE Michael Turner signed for red zone.

infantrycak
06-06-2013, 08:15 PM

The last thing the Texans need in a backup RB is a red zone RB. Arian does just fine there as in led the league by 2 last year.

PHILLYTEXANFAN
06-06-2013, 08:30 PM
The last thing the Texans need in a backup RB is a red zone RB. Arian does just fine there as in led the league by 2 last year.

What happened on the opening drive against N.E in playoffs? It looked like we walked away with 3 after Manning almost took it too the house. Turner would of made it 7-0

infantrycak
06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
What happened on the opening drive against N.E in playoffs? It looked like we walked away with 3 after Manning almost took it too the house. Turner would of made it 7-0

Where did you buy your alternate universe crystal ball and how much did it cost?

Texan_Bill
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM

If I know Cak, and I do. What he was telling you is that Arian Foster is fine in the red zone, so much so that Foster had more red zone TD's than anyone else last season. So, if that were true, what makes you think that Turner would've been anymore successful in the situation you asked about? Why waste that money on an extremely "situational" RB when you need a RB to spell Foster in general in all situations? (I'm looking at you, Ben Tate)

PapaL
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Tuner taking RZ carries over Foster or Tate? No way. Dude is washed up and done. Don't care that he had 10 rushing TDs. Watch him run. His career is over.

ObsiWan
06-07-2013, 04:01 AM
I would hope a healthy Ben Tate could be smash mouth RB we use in the red zone. If nothing else just to take some wear & tear off of Foster.